Nobel Prize Winner picks Diet of the Future

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

In case you have never had a biology course, here is what the teeth of a meat eater look like:

Looks like now you're confusing omnivores and carnivores...
    You still haven't addressed the digestive system problem with your claim.

:laugh: Now this is getting funny. I'm in for the discussion of being schooled in biology. I mean, science has said we are omnivores but now it's wrong? Please...do go on....

Science as defined by whom? How about the leading cardiologist in the United States? I posted his half hour explanation of the reasons we are herbivores, but none of you geniuses have bother to look at it. Of course you know better because that is what the teacher said in High school biology.

So cardiologists are automatically experts in human biology, genetics and evolution? And elementary, middle school and high school teachers who base their teachings off of facts gathered by those who specialize in research in these topics have been doing it wrong?

Yes to both questons.

:indifferent:

Tin foil hat time?

That was a couple of pages back. This one is a true believer and she won't listen to reason or evidence. It's like trying to talk good sense into a cult member.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    What's the purpose of posting a picture of a bacon burger? Are you trying to start a flame war?

No... a FLAME BROILED war.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Grizzly Bears are in the class carnivora. The link attached is to a US Fish And Game publication:

http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/grizzly/grizz_foods.pdf

Now how about my $1,000

First line from your link:
    The grizzly bear, like its cousin the black bear, is omnivorous, meaning it will eat plants, as well as insects and other animals.

Did you even read it?
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Who better to predict future dietary habits than a Nobel Prize winning... economist...
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

In case you have never had a biology course, here is what the teeth of a meat eater look like:

Looks like now you're confusing omnivores and carnivores...
    You still haven't addressed the digestive system problem with your claim.

:laugh: Now this is getting funny. I'm in for the discussion of being schooled in biology. I mean, science has said we are omnivores but now it's wrong? Please...do go on....

Science as defined by whom? How about the leading cardiologist in the United States? I posted his half hour explanation of the reasons we are herbivores, but none of you geniuses have bother to look at it. Of course you know better because that is what the teacher said in High school biology.

So cardiologists are automatically experts in human biology, genetics and evolution? And elementary, middle school and high school teachers who base their teachings off of facts gathered by those who specialize in research in these topics have been doing it wrong?

Yes to both questons.

:indifferent:

Tin foil hat time?

Why don't you try watching what I posted. If this guy doesn't know why you get heart attacks nobody does.
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just because I have a scientific background, but I don't understand why the 'diet of the future' would be inappropriate for an omnivore, which is what humans are. I guess being a Nobel prize winner doesn't include critical thinking skills. :noway:

Well, if everyone on Earth ate the amount of meat we do in the industrialized West, there wouldn't be enough resources to support that level of meat production. It takes FAR more resources to produce animals than it does plants. So, if meat consumption continues to grow as the developing world industrializes, sure, we could face a future in which the planet couldn't sustain 7, 8, or 9 billion people eating a serving of meat 3 times a day.

I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, but I think reducing meat consumption is a good goal for sustainability/environmental reasons. Nothing to do with health.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    Who better to predict future dietary habits than a Nobel Prize winning... economist...

Yes, I cannot believe the general level of intelligence on this board. Who better to say that meat will become too expensive than an economist.

Jeesh.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just because I have a scientific background, but I don't understand why the 'diet of the future' would be inappropriate for an omnivore, which is what humans are. I guess being a Nobel prize winner doesn't include critical thinking skills. :noway:

He is saying that meat won't be available or considered a good food in the future. He didn't say plants were not appropriate for omnivores. And by the way, humans are herbivores:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUa814suU9A

You've just lost all credibility. Educate yourself. And by that , I mean look for sources other than Youtube.
    You simply haven't had enough time to watch the half hour presentation by Dr Roberts, perhaps the top cardiologist in the USA. But of course, why should you. There is no requirement to actually know or understand a subject before sounding off on it.

I tried fixing your quotes.

Go take a look at your teeth in the mirror. Look at your canines. Compare them to the teeth of horses or cows. Read about the differences in the digestive system between us and herbivores.

I almost feel like i am trying to convince a conspiracy theorist that their arguments are flawed. I completely understand and respect being vegan for ethical reasons. Claiming that humanity was meant to be vegan is a slap in evolution's face.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tiger+teeth&espv=210&es_sm=91&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3eHaUreEMqbyyAGH7oHYBQ&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1296&bih=779#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=LZDzTcMYGHYEsM%3A;oPGjNHquF5dv_M;http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.myopera.com%2Fladiesman69%2Falbums%2F2191341%2FTiger%2520Teeth.jpg;http%3A%2F%2Fmy.opera.com%2Fladiesman69%2Falbums%2Fshowpic.dml%3Falbum%3D2191341%26picture%3D29818041;1024;768

So what are these incisor teeth that humans have for? Gnashing broccoli?
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Well, if everyone on Earth ate the amount of meat we do in the industrialized West, there wouldn't be enough resources to support that level of meat production. It takes FAR more resources to produce animals than it does plants. So, if meat consumption continues to grow as the developing world industrializes, sure, we could face a future in which the planet couldn't sustain 7, 8, or 9 billion people eating a serving of meat 3 times a day.

I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, but I think reducing meat consumption is a good goal for sustainability/environmental reasons. Nothing to do with health.

YOU ARE RIGHT. Thank you. You, me and the United Nations agree on then need to reduce meat consumption.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/feb/18/halve-meat-consumption-scientists
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

I wish people who make these claims would start with history of this type of thinking. Start with "An Essay on the Principle of Population" by Thomas Malthus. It's a great example of the problem with linear thinking.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    So what are these incisor teeth that humans have for? Gnashing broccoli?

Do you really think they are for ripping raw flesh apart?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Grizzly Bears are in the class carnivora. The link attached is to a US Fish And Game publication:

Now how about my $1,000

Ummm no. From the reading in the article in your post: "The grizzly bear, like its cousin the black bear, is omnivorous, meaning it will eat plants, as well as insects and other animals"

They are in the order of Carnivora...order meaning the classification of the species based on certain shared physical characteristics. Carnivore is the description on the diet of an animal/species.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

I also have been wondering what Nobel prize winner in Mathematics or Philosophy for example knows about nutrition to talk eloquently about the diet of the future .
  • Hovercat
    Hovercat Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My beef jerky says, "yes".
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Now how about my $1,000

The grizzly bear, like its cousin the black bear, is omnivorous, meaning it will eat plants, as well as insects and other animals.

Did you even read it?

Yup. The Genius I posted this for said that carnivores eat ONLY meat. Did you read it? Do you think it said that?
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Thread summary: One youtube video to rule them all!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

why do you care if people are vegan or not?
  • XLombardX
    XLombardX Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Because everyone is not sick enough on grain/sugar based diets…… Gotta up the ante, must have maximum rates of malnutrition and disease because that's what's best for corporate profits.

Please don't throw around big words like malnutrition when you don't know what they mean. Visit a famine or war striken country and come back and tell me how people who haven't educated themselves about when to put down the fork are malnourished.

Very funny. Here are some definitions of those big words to educate you:

Malnutrition is a broad term which refers to both undernutrition (subnutrition) and overnutrition.
    Individuals are malnourished, or suffer from undernutrition if their diet does not provide them with adequate calories and protein for maintenance and growth, or they cannot fully utilize the food they eat due to illness.
    People are also malnourished, or suffer from overnutrition if they consume too many calories
    Malnutrition can also be defined as the insufficient, excessive or imbalanced consumption of nutrients.
    Several different nutrition disorders may develop, depending on which nutrients are lacking or consumed in excess.
    According to the World Health Organization (WHO), malnutrition is the gravest single threat to global public health.
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/179316.php

TL; DR: People who eat the wrong stuff and have deficiencies are malnourished.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Now how about my $1,000

Did you even read it?

Yup. The Genius I posted this for said that carnivores eat ONLY meat. Did you read it? Do you think it said that?

First off..Carnivora isn't a class or a genius. It is an order. And Carnivora order is based on physical characteristics, not diet.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

Now how about my $1,000

Did you even read it?

So you posted a link about omnivores?