Nobel Prize Winner picks Diet of the Future

Options

Replies

• Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know how "meat will be expensive" is an argument in favor of people being herbivores.

Perhaps third world hunger is an argument in favor of people not needing to eat?
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    Maybe it's just because I have a scientific background, but I don't understand why the 'diet of the future' would be inappropriate for an omnivore, which is what humans are. I guess being a Nobel prize winner doesn't include critical thinking skills. :noway:

He is saying that meat won't be available or considered a good food in the future. He didn't say plants were not appropriate for omnivores. And by the way, humans are herbivores:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUa814suU9A

You simply haven't had enough time to watch the half hour presentation by Dr Roberts, perhaps the top cardiologist in the USA. But of course, why should you. There is no requirement to actually know or understand a subject before sounding off on it.

You've just lost all credibility. Educate yourself. And by that , I mean look for sources other than Youtube.

You know, if you actually looked at what I posted you might be in a much better position to understand who was talking, what his arguements were and why he is right. Of course this is the age of the 15 second attention span and soundbites. So to give you a snippet ofWilliam C. Roberts, M.D.

Dr. William Roberts is executive director of the Baylor Cardiovascular Institute of Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas. He received his M.D. from Emory University School of Medicine in 1958. Before coming to Baylor in 1993 he was chief of the pathology branch of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, and with his colleagues there published more than 1,150 articles on cardiovascular disease in medical journals. Dr. Roberts has authored several books on cardiovascular disease, has spoken at more than 1,300 medical meetings and serves as editor-in-chief of The American Journal of Cardiology. His research focuses on morphologic aspects of cardiovascular disease. what you missed, here is the Bio of the speaker:

Next time don't criticize a post you haven't read.

what qualifies a cardiologist to speak on evolution? Did he stay at a holiday inn last night?

What qualifies you to speak about anything? Why don't you tell us your credentials so we can see why you are so much better qualified to talk about what a herbivore is than the Editor of the American Journal of Cardiology/
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Grizzly Bears are in the class carnivora. The link attached is to a US Fish And Game publication:

http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/grizzly/grizz_foods.pdf

Now how about my $1,000

First line from your link:
    The grizzly bear, like its cousin the black bear, is omnivorous, meaning it will eat plants, as well as insects and other animals.

Did you even read it?

Yup. The Genius I posted this for said that carnivores eat ONLY meat. Did you read it? Do you think it said that?

It didn't say a damn thing about it, because grizzly's aren't carnivores.

Really! Why don't you stick your head in one's mouth then?

1345834178446.jpg
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Okay...I think I am catching on....Vegesauras...are you the same guy who had the "this is nutrion not biology" argument a few days back? Argument style seems very similar.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know how "meat will be expensive" is an argument in favor of people being herbivores.

Perhaps third world hunger is an argument in favor of people not needing to eat?

Oh, snap.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

The two arguments have nothing to do with each other, but both are true.

Yes it is
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Options
    Grizzly Bears are in the class carnivora. The link attached is to a US Fish And Game publication:

http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/grizzly/grizz_foods.pdf

Now how about my $1,000

First line from your link:
    The grizzly bear, like its cousin the black bear, is omnivorous, meaning it will eat plants, as well as insects and other animals.

Did you even read it?

Yup. The Genius I posted this for said that carnivores eat ONLY meat. Did you read it? Do you think it said that?

It didn't say a damn thing about it, because grizzly's aren't carnivores.

Really! Why don't you stick your head in one's mouth then?

I wouldn't stick my head in a cow's mouth either.
  • Americannabis
    Options
    This is the worst thread.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just because I have a scientific background, but I don't understand why the 'diet of the future' would be inappropriate for an omnivore, which is what humans are. I guess being a Nobel prize winner doesn't include critical thinking skills. :noway:

Well, if everyone on Earth ate the amount of meat we do in the industrialized West, there wouldn't be enough resources to support that level of meat production. It takes FAR more resources to produce animals than it does plants. So, if meat consumption continues to grow as the developing world industrializes, sure, we could face a future in which the planet couldn't sustain 7, 8, or 9 billion people eating a serving of meat 3 times a day.

I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, but I think reducing meat consumption is a good goal for sustainability/environmental reasons. Nothing to do with health.

I wish people who make these claims would start with history of this type of thinking. Start with "An Essay on the Principle of Population" by Thomas Malthus. It's a great example of the problem with linear thinking.

LOL @ malthus…according to him we should all be dead, starving, or both by now...
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    Okay...I think I am catching on....Vegesauras...are you the same guy who had the "this is nutrion not biology" argument a few days back? Argument style seems very similar.

Sorry to disappoint you but this is my first day on this board in six months and will probably be my last. I am starting to remember why I left.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

The two arguments have nothing to do with each other, but both are true.

Yes it is

havin-a-giggle.gif
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, but I think reducing meat consumption is a good goal for sustainability/environmental reasons. Nothing to do with health.

It doesn't matter what we eat, humans will expand to the limit of sustainability - plus a few steps further. This is true whether the diet consists of meat or non-meat.

Do you have a source for that, or is it just your opinion.
  • ndj1979
    Options

He is saying that meat won't be available or considered a good food in the future. He didn't say plants were not appropriate for omnivores. And by the way, humans are herbivores:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUa814suU9A

You simply haven't had enough time to watch the half hour presentation by Dr Roberts, perhaps the top cardiologist in the USA. But of course, why should you. There is no requirement to actually know or understand a subject before sounding off on it.

You've just lost all credibility. Educate yourself. And by that , I mean look for sources other than Youtube.

You know, if you actually looked at what I posted you might be in a much better position to understand who was talking, what his arguements were and why he is right. Of course this is the age of the 15 second attention span and soundbites. So to give you a snippet ofWilliam C. Roberts, M.D.

Dr. William Roberts is executive director of the Baylor Cardiovascular Institute of Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas. He received his M.D. from Emory University School of Medicine in 1958. Before coming to Baylor in 1993 he was chief of the pathology branch of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, and with his colleagues there published more than 1,150 articles on cardiovascular disease in medical journals. Dr. Roberts has authored several books on cardiovascular disease, has spoken at more than 1,300 medical meetings and serves as editor-in-chief of The American Journal of Cardiology. His research focuses on morphologic aspects of cardiovascular disease. what you missed, here is the Bio of the speaker:

Next time don't criticize a post you haven't read.

what qualifies a cardiologist to speak on evolution? Did he stay at a holiday inn last night?

What qualifies you to speak about anything? Why don't you tell us your credentials so we can see why you are so much better qualified to talk about what a herbivore is than the Editor of the American Journal of Cardiology/

I am not the one countering known science and trying to say that humans are herbivores….so I don't need to qualify anything..

I think you need to less coca plants in your diet, you are really high strung...
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Because everyone is not sick enough on grain/sugar based diets…… Gotta up the ante, must have maximum rates of malnutrition and disease because that's what's best for corporate profits.

Please don't throw around big words like malnutrition when you don't know what they mean. Visit a famine or war striken country and come back and tell me how people who haven't educated themselves about when to put down the fork are malnourished.

Very funny. Here are some definitions of those big words to educate you:

Malnutrition is a broad term which refers to both undernutrition (subnutrition) and overnutrition.
    Individuals are malnourished, or suffer from undernutrition if their diet does not provide them with adequate calories and protein for maintenance and growth, or they cannot fully utilize the food they eat due to illness.
    People are also malnourished, or suffer from overnutrition if they consume too many calories
    Malnutrition can also be defined as the insufficient, excessive or imbalanced consumption of nutrients.
    Several different nutrition disorders may develop, depending on which nutrients are lacking or consumed in excess.
    According to the World Health Organization (WHO), malnutrition is the gravest single threat to global public health.
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/179316.php

TL; DR: People who eat the wrong stuff and have deficiencies are malnourished.

Thank you so much for this information of which I am already aware.

I wonder if you genuinely believe this is what the person who posted originally had this as their intent?
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Options

It doesn't matter what we eat, humans will expand to the limit of sustainability - plus a few steps further. This is true whether the diet consists of meat or non-meat.

I am sure he could find a youtube video. Maybe one made by a gynecologist?
  • jeardawg
    jeardawg Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I look forward to this as it will drive meat prices down.

Pure Geniosity right there!
  • ndj1979
    Options

I am sure he could find a youtube video. Maybe one made by a gynecologist?

I could ask the guy that pumps my gas...
  • Americannabis
    Options
    Rex: You said you were gonna leave and then you came back to make more incoherent, fingers-in-ears arguments. What happened?
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

Sorry to disappoint you but this is my first day on this board in six months and will probably be my last. I am starting to remember why I left.

I'm feeling deja vu from page 2...

Did it take you 6 months to leave last time?
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    If I'm not meant to eat steak, I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Source: I love meat. Fact.