Nobel Prize Winner picks Diet of the Future

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

And where does the word "carnivore" come from?

Let me ask again: What is the precise definition of a Herbivore, an Omnivore, and a Carnivore? Your definition should make it clear that the Grizzly is not a carnivore as you claim, but you should also give some examples of animals that are carnivores, and explain why they are different from say the Grizzly.

Good luck.

The diverse order Carnivora (/kɑrˈnɪvərə/ or /ˌkɑrnɪˈvɔərə/; from Latin carō (stem carn-) "flesh", + vorāre "to devour") includes over 280 species of placental mammals. Its members are formally referred to as carnivorans, whereas the word "carnivore" (often popularly applied to members of this group) can refer to any meat-eating organism. Carnivorans are the most diverse in size of any mammalian order, ranging from the least weasel (Mustela nivalis), at as little as 25 g (0.88 oz) and 11 cm (4.3 in), to the polar bear (Ursus maritimus), which can weigh up to 1,000 kg (2,200 lb), to the southern elephant seal (Mirounga leonina), whose adult males weigh up to 5,000 kg (11,000 lb) and measure up to 6.9 m (23 ft) in length.

While all carnivores are from the order Carnivora not all Carnivora are carnivores. Simples :flowerforyou:

HEY! :grumble: That's what I was doing.

Get out. :angry:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Okay...I think I am catching on....Vegesauras...are you the same guy who had the "this is nutrion not biology" argument a few days back? Argument style seems very similar.

Sorry to disappoint you but this is my first day on this board in six months and will probably be my last. I am starting to remember why I left.

Full disclosure:
    I am starting to remember why I was glad you did six months ago.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    wTOGI4P.jpg
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Let me ask again: What is the precise definition of a Herbivore, an Omnivore, and a Carnivore? Your definition should make it clear that the Grizzly is not a carnivore as you claim, but you should also give some examples of animals that are carnivores, and explain why they are different from say the Grizzly.

Good luck.

The diverse order Carnivora (/kɑrˈnɪvərə/ or /ˌkɑrnɪˈvɔərə/; from Latin carō (stem carn-) "flesh", + vorāre "to devour") includes over 280 species of placental mammals. Its members are formally referred to as carnivorans, whereas the word "carnivore" (often popularly applied to members of this group) can refer to any meat-eating organism. Carnivorans are the most diverse in size of any mammalian order, ranging from the least weasel (Mustela nivalis), at as little as 25 g (0.88 oz) and 11 cm (4.3 in), to the polar bear (Ursus maritimus), which can weigh up to 1,000 kg (2,200 lb), to the southern elephant seal (Mirounga leonina), whose adult males weigh up to 5,000 kg (11,000 lb) and measure up to 6.9 m (23 ft) in length.

While all carnivores are from the order Carnivora not all Carnivora are carnivores. Simples :flowerforyou:

Joy Joy beat us both :angry: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just because I have a scientific background, but I don't understand why the 'diet of the future' would be inappropriate for an omnivore, which is what humans are. I guess being a Nobel prize winner doesn't include critical thinking skills. :noway:

He is saying that meat won't be available or considered a good food in the future. He didn't say plants were not appropriate for omnivores. And by the way, humans are herbivores:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUa814suU9A

You simply haven't had enough time to watch the half hour presentation by Dr Roberts, perhaps the top cardiologist in the USA. But of course, why should you. There is no requirement to actually know or understand a subject before sounding off on it.

You've just lost all credibility. Educate yourself. And by that , I mean look for sources other than Youtube.

You know, if you actually looked at what I posted you might be in a much better position to understand who was talking, what his arguements were and why he is right. Of course this is the age of the 15 second attention span and soundbites. So to give you a snippet ofWilliam C. Roberts, M.D.

Dr. William Roberts is executive director of the Baylor Cardiovascular Institute of Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas. He received his M.D. from Emory University School of Medicine in 1958. Before coming to Baylor in 1993 he was chief of the pathology branch of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, and with his colleagues there published more than 1,150 articles on cardiovascular disease in medical journals. Dr. Roberts has authored several books on cardiovascular disease, has spoken at more than 1,300 medical meetings and serves as editor-in-chief of The American Journal of Cardiology. His research focuses on morphologic aspects of cardiovascular disease. what you missed, here is the Bio of the speaker:

Next time don't criticize a post you haven't read.

what qualifies a cardiologist to speak on evolution? Did he stay at a holiday inn last night?

What qualifies you to speak about anything? Why don't you tell us your credentials so we can see why you are so much better qualified to talk about what a herbivore is than the Editor of the American Journal of Cardiology/

I am not the one countering known science and trying to say that humans are herbivores….so I don't need to qualify anything..

I think you need to less coca plants in your diet, you are really high strung...

Okay, I asked this before and I got the wrong answer. Let me ask it againl

What is the difference between a herbivore, omnivore and a carnivore? Be precise

I believe you already got an answer on this, or have you forgotten already?

I do not need, nor do I have any desire, to prove my intellect to you.

No problem. I knew you couldn't do it It was only a matter of when you would admit that you didn't know what you were talking about.

I don't know what I am talking about??? Bahahahahaha you are a funny guy …considering all your claims got torn to pieces on page two ….

I just don't feel like playing your idiotic game…

i am going to leave now and go ask my bartender about evolutionary science…something tells me, it will be more informative then the drivel you have been posting...
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    No problem. I knew you couldn't do it It was only a matter of when you would admit that you didn't know what you were talking about.

This from the guy who clearly states on his profile that he doesn't know how to edit his profile. I mean, if we're attacking intellect now...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just because I have a scientific background, but I don't understand why the 'diet of the future' would be inappropriate for an omnivore, which is what humans are. I guess being a Nobel prize winner doesn't include critical thinking skills. :noway:

He is saying that meat won't be available or considered a good food in the future. He didn't say plants were not appropriate for omnivores. And by the way, humans are herbivores:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUa814suU9A

You simply haven't had enough time to watch the half hour presentation by Dr Roberts, perhaps the top cardiologist in the USA. But of course, why should you. There is no requirement to actually know or understand a subject before sounding off on it.

You've just lost all credibility. Educate yourself. And by that , I mean look for sources other than Youtube.

You know, if you actually looked at what I posted you might be in a much better position to understand who was talking, what his arguements were and why he is right. Of course this is the age of the 15 second attention span and soundbites. So to give you a snippet ofWilliam C. Roberts, M.D.

Dr. William Roberts is executive director of the Baylor Cardiovascular Institute of Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas. He received his M.D. from Emory University School of Medicine in 1958. Before coming to Baylor in 1993 he was chief of the pathology branch of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, and with his colleagues there published more than 1,150 articles on cardiovascular disease in medical journals. Dr. Roberts has authored several books on cardiovascular disease, has spoken at more than 1,300 medical meetings and serves as editor-in-chief of The American Journal of Cardiology. His research focuses on morphologic aspects of cardiovascular disease. what you missed, here is the Bio of the speaker:

Next time don't criticize a post you haven't read.

what qualifies a cardiologist to speak on evolution? Did he stay at a holiday inn last night?

What qualifies you to speak about anything? Why don't you tell us your credentials so we can see why you are so much better qualified to talk about what a herbivore is than the Editor of the American Journal of Cardiology/

I am not the one countering known science and trying to say that humans are herbivores….so I don't need to qualify anything..

I think you need to less coca plants in your diet, you are really high strung...

Okay, I asked this before and I got the wrong answer. Let me ask it againl

What is the difference between a herbivore, omnivore and a carnivore? Be precise

Herbivore - species that eat solely vegetation.

Carnivores - species that eat solely meat.

Omnivores - species that eat BOTH vegetation and meat.

This is what is taught in elementary schools.

Yes that is an elementary school definition. Now tell me at least one animal in each group. For example, we have already established by our self proclaimed expert on taxa that Grizzlies are not carnivores but omnivores. I really want to see how far you can take this before it implodes.

Carnivores - cats, tigers, venus fly trap, cheetah, lions, wolves, badgers, hyenas....

Omnivores - Humans, bears, dogs, monkeys/apes, mice, sloths, foxes, possums, dolphins, some species of squirrels, lemurs, ants, wasps, catfish...so on.

Herbivores - cows, deer, elk, rabbits, elephants, giraffes, sheep, caterpillars, camels, snails, .....
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Hmm, a cheeseburger sounds really good right now.

Maybe with some bacon.

2m4rjw8.jpg

OH my word I now know what I"m having for dinner.

I'm coming to your house for dinner.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Only one thing to do!

Burn the Witch!

No? Too extreme. Fine. Glare at her and her fast posting ways.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Really? Then why are they in the order Carnivora?

I guess we can add taxonomy to the list of sciences VegesaurusRex knows nothing about.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

This from the guy who clearly states on his profile that he doesn't know how to edit his profile. I mean, if we're attacking intellect now...
    OP is 70 years old, I am sure the nice lady at the Nursing Home didn't have time to show him everything about the computer. Oh, and recreation time is almost up.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    Grizzly Bears are in the class carnivora. The link attached is to a US Fish And Game publication:

http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/grizzly/grizz_foods.pdf

Now how about my $1,000

Really? Then why are they in the Order Carnivora?

http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/grizzly.htm

First line from your link:
    The grizzly bear, like its cousin the black bear, is omnivorous, meaning it will eat plants, as well as insects and other animals.

Did you even read it?

Yup. The Genius I posted this for said that carnivores eat ONLY meat. Did you read it? Do you think it said that?

It didn't say a damn thing about it, because grizzly's aren't carnivores.

Really! Why don't you stick your head in one's mouth then?

But they'd still eat you because they are OMNIVORES.

You obviously missed my post in response before to this. I'll copy and paste for you again.
    Ummm no. From the reading in the article in your post: "The grizzly bear, like its cousin the black bear, is omnivorous, meaning it will eat plants, as well as insects and other animals"

They are in the order of Carnivora...order meaning the classification of the species based on certain shared physical characteristics. Carnivore is the description on the diet of an animal/species.

:flowerforyou:

Good luck.

Who ever claimed a grizzly was a carnivore?

A jellyfish is a carnivore. It eats meat. A beat is an omnivore. it eats meat and plants. A cow is an herbivore. It eats plants.

Is that defined enough for you or...?

Also, side note
    Members of the mammalian order Carnivora are the descendants of a successful late Paleocene radiation of mammals whose primitive food habits were carnivorous. The name "Carnivora" is sometimes taken to mean that members of this group are all carnivorous or that all carnivorous mammals are members of this group. This is not so. Members of Carnivora have diverse food habits, although many are primarily carnivorous, and carnivory is widely distributed in mammals, being found in many other orders including bats, marsupial mammals, primates, and dolphins and whales.

Very good so far. Consistant. Now do it for Herbivores and Omnivores.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Good luck.

Only one thing to do!

Burn the Witch!

Might as well - V.Rex certainly hasn't been able to come back with a response to our extremely factually correct answers :laugh:
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Dj7Y8mfriends-relationship-medication-conversation-encouragement-ecards-someecards.gif
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Good luck.

Only one thing to do!

Burn the Witch!

tumblr_lttirvwOhf1qkuya1o1_500.gif

:laugh:
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Members of the mammalian order Carnivora are the descendants of a successful late Paleocene radiation of mammals whose primitive food habits were carnivorous. The name "Carnivora" is sometimes taken to mean that members of this group are all carnivorous or that all carnivorous mammals are members of this group. This is not so. Members of Carnivora have diverse food habits, although many are primarily carnivorous, and carnivory is widely distributed in mammals, being found in many other orders including bats, marsupial mammals, primates, and dolphins and whales.

Do what? quote science that you could find if you could be bothered?
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I love to hunt and eat vegans - deer, quail, pheasant, etc.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

OP is 70 years old, I am sure the nice lady at the Nursing Home didn't have time to show him everything about the computer. Oh, and recreation time is almost up.

Yup, I'm 70, I have a black belt in Shaolin Kempo Karate, and I work out 4 times a week. I am vegan and never see a doctor, except for check ups. I have three university degrees. Anything else you would like to know?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Grizzly Bears are in the class carnivora. The link attached is to a US Fish And Game publication:

http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/grizzly/grizz_foods.pdf

Now how about my $1,000

Really? Then why are they in the Order Carnivora?

First line from your link:
    The grizzly bear, like its cousin the black bear, is omnivorous, meaning it will eat plants, as well as insects and other animals.

Did you even read it?

Yup. The Genius I posted this for said that carnivores eat ONLY meat. Did you read it? Do you think it said that?

It didn't say a damn thing about it, because grizzly's aren't carnivores.

Really! Why don't you stick your head in one's mouth then?

But they'd still eat you because they are OMNIVORES.

You obviously missed my post in response before to this. I'll copy and paste for you again.
    Ummm no. From the reading in the article in your post: "The grizzly bear, like its cousin the black bear, is omnivorous, meaning it will eat plants, as well as insects and other animals"

They are in the order of Carnivora...order meaning the classification of the species based on certain shared physical characteristics. Carnivore is the description on the diet of an animal/species.

:flowerforyou:

Good luck.

Who ever claimed a grizzly was a carnivore?

A jellyfish is a carnivore. It eats meat. A beat is an omnivore. it eats meat and plants. A cow is an herbivore. It eats plants.

Is that defined enough for you or...?

Also, side note

Ummm...but herbivores and omnivores isn't an order of taxonomy. So what/how are you trying to make comparisons?
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Do what? quote science that you could find if you could be bothered?
    [/quote]

I want to see three consistent mutually exclusive definitions. Look up anything you want. I am saying you cannot do it. Prove me wrong.