Surprises when logging ??

Options
Has anyone been surprised good or bad by something they logged? For example I logged in a sandwich I made at home with deli meats (Bar coded from the deli) Now I know cold cuts aren't the greatest at times but with the correct choices in types you can be OK. Well anyway Iogged in salami (Which I knew wasn't going to be great) But WOW didn't know it was going to be that bad!
220 Calories, and 19g Fat. per slice (Type I had, I'm sure that varies)
I've also been surprised with the amount of Carbs in certain foods too,.
It's crazy because I've seen a lot of people be more concerned with staying under calorie but if you track other aspects of your intake you might be surprised on what's going on in the background and that might be working against you, making you feel like nothing you do/eat is working

I recommend all new (and maybe older users) to log everything you eat. I can't believe how much I learn by just looking into everything. Even my wife was surprised at my weight loss and I haven't cut back that much on the "BAD" or labeled BAD foods like Pizza etc.
Take advantage of the information this sites logging gives you and educate yourself on your intake and match it with proper workouts and its not that tough to satisfy yourself and not feel like you're on some diet by watching everything you eat.

Replies

• JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have examples or things that have surprised them? Good or Bad?
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    pepperoni pizza - It was worse than I thought. I try to pre log as much as possible due to this. A good surprise was cabbage. I can eat a ton with very few calories.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    nutty cereal yoghurt bar, more calories and fat than I imagined
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    The amount of sodium in processed and restaurant foods is astounding. I watch it only to be aware of what it does to the scale.

I had a good surprise yesterday. I've avoided sour cream, thinking it would be too high to fit in. Wrong - 30 calories in a tablespoon. I still wouldn't make a container of dip, but a tablespoon is fine.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Back in my WW days, I ended up at Quiznos with hubby on the spur of the moment. It was my first time there and I didn't have a smart-phone at the time...so I just got a veggie sub. That stupid veggie sub was nearly my whole days points.
  • ladytiburona
    ladytiburona Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was surprised at how much sodium was in Velveeta. We use cheddar cheese now. It takes longer, tastes great and saves half the sodium or more.
  • JayDavila
    Options
    Back in my WW days, I ended up at Quiznos with hubby on the spur of the moment. It was my first time there and I didn't have a smart-phone at the time...so I just got a veggie sub. That stupid veggie sub was nearly my whole days points.

I've done something similar to that LOL
  • JayDavila
    Options
    nutty cereal yoghurt bar, more calories and fat than I imagined

A lot of those bar type snacks are silent danger LOL
  • JayDavila
    Options
    The amount of sodium in processed and restaurant foods is astounding. I watch it only to be aware of what it does to the scale.

I had a good surprise yesterday. I've avoided sour cream, thinking it would be too high to fit in. Wrong - 30 calories in a tablespoon. I still wouldn't make a container of dip, but a tablespoon is fine.

Definitely hard with restaurant foods!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Little things - like a bagel is a LOT of calories......................! Now, MAYBE I'll have a half of a bagel - I hate to 'blow it' on ONE food item..........!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Early on while losing weight, I went out to breakfast - got a florentine omelet with egg whites, toast, a couple strips of bacon and OJ .. a nice 16-oz glass of OJ. When I came home to log it It was a serious eye-opener to see that the OJ has more calories than the entire rest of my breakfast ....
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Quaker instant oatmeal - 1 tiny little package has 14 g of sugar. I'm just thankful they're a last resort breakfast and not something I eat on a regular basis!
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Foster Farms Chicken Corndogs - not NEARLY as bad as I'd thought!

Also, a weighing surprise: the weighed serving of both mayo and butter were MUCH more generous than I'd guessed using the old eyeball method.

:embarassed: I do try to eat somewhat healthy, but the surprises have been mostly in the junk food.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Boneless buffalo wings. I had no idea they had so many calories, sodium, etc.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Actually, when I began reading labels what surprised me most was serving sizes and added sodium and sugar. Overall calorie content of processed foods. That goes for good choices eating at restaurants as well.

It was a pretty big eye opener for me.
  • WrenEileen
    Options
    I am older and new to all this logging in on my intakes Thanks for the heads up..
  • JayDavila
    Options
    Early on while losing weight, I went out to breakfast - got a florentine omelet with egg whites, toast, a couple strips of bacon and OJ .. a nice 16-oz glass of OJ. When I came home to log it It was a serious eye-opener to see that the OJ has more calories than the entire rest of my breakfast ....

Oh yea, OJ was a real eye opener, had to let that go and switched to having a clementine with my breakfast
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'm often surprised by how few calories are in foods... Today I had GIANT salad with grilled chicken, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion and balsamic vinegar; a package of Kraft Easy Mac and a Lindt chili dark chocolate square. It all came to only 477 calories! It was a perfect meal. :)

Deli meats are real surprising to me too. A 2 oz serving of deli ham looks rather larger to me; but in reality it is a very low cal but very high in sodium!

The amount of peanut butter I get per serving is downright depressing though. :(
  • JayDavila
    Options
    Little things - like a bagel is a LOT of calories......................! Now, MAYBE I'll have a half of a bagel - I hate to 'blow it' on ONE food item..........!

Yes and I used to eat tons of bagels :(
  • AriDublyu
    Options
    Surprised how healthy ingredients add up. Had a green salad with some added fruit, an ounce of Havarti cheese, walnuts, sunflower seeds - all added up it was over 420 calories! Only 50 of that was due to olive oil and balsamic vinegar.