Surprises when logging ??

Options

Replies

• JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I did not realize salmon (baked/broiled) was so low calorie. Nice surprise.

Also, there's a salad my husband and I like to make with shrimp, lettuce, cabbage, red onion, and a sauce made from mixed-up olive oil mayo, Sriracha & Thai chili sauce. It seems indulgent but has like 260-270 calories.

I do not even eat granola or cereal at all anymore, though...just not worth it to me. I get SO much more satisfaction from a slice of wheat toast, a multi-grain Sandwich skinny, or a tiny portion of nuts.

Another recent "pleasant" surprise is 1 TBSP (measured exactly) of Nutkao is 80 calories. Yum.

I'm allergic to shellfish which sucks but I can get different types of fish which I have been trying, I really like salmon but its so expensive that i opt for more chicken dishes. Never heard of Nutkao, ill have to look that up.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The amount of sodium in processed foods is and was the biggest shock to me.
  • paigenevaeh
    paigenevaeh Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I went out for lunch, got roast chicken, veggies, roast potatoes & a Yorkshire pudding.
    Was awfully shocked when it came to 724 calories!! Managed to stay within my limit that day...but still, that is a LOT for one meal.
  • brookeiva90
    brookeiva90 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    my eye opener wasn't so much the calorie content, but how much a serving size actually is when you WEIGH it out. the recommended "2/3c" (just an example) is almost always WAYYYY over the recommended 32grams (or whatever) ahhh I have learned it is EXTREMELY detrimental to my weight loss to be weighing everything out other than using measuring cups/spoons
  • JayDavila
    Options
    my eye opener wasn't so much the calorie content, but how much a serving size actually is when you WEIGH it out. the recommended "2/3c" (just an example) is almost always WAYYYY over the recommended 32grams (or whatever) ahhh I have learned it is EXTREMELY detrimental to my weight loss to be weighing everything out other than using measuring cups/spoons

I can imagine the errors in my foods if i weighed it LOL
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all the posts but

Apple juice...crap I love apple juice. -bad surprise
    1 serving of cottage cheese is not 1/2 a cup - good surprise
    Bacon...good surpris
    Egg whites - good surprise on protien
    Chicken has more protien then turkey....what.....:noway: true tho
    Beef has a lot of potassium
    Cream isn't as bad as I thought
    Skim milk saves calories but helps with protien...nothing to do with fat.
    I can have 2 servings of fruit loops for breakfast....YAH
    Cran Pommegranite*( spelling) ocean spray diet is nom nom and 10 calories a cup
    Vodka and club soda is my go to drink
    Tim Hortons biscut sandwiches for breakfast are fine as long as you don't get the muffin too.

Last but not least

I can and do eat a 1000 calorie breakfast and still lose weight.......:drinker:
  • ainokea8
    Options
    Surprised how healthy ingredients add up. Had a green salad with some added fruit, an ounce of Havarti cheese, walnuts, sunflower seeds - all added up it was over 420 calories! Only 50 of that was due to olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Yup people are always surprised by this but nuts are super calorie dense. That's whats adding up those calories in salads.

As for me, I'm surprised at how some unhealthy foods are not so high in calories. Like a package of ramen is only 200 calories but of course it's high in sodium.
  • sesquive
    sesquive Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes! Canadian Bacon...I made myself an egg white omlette with veggies and once slice of Canadian bacon. I was expecting the Canadian bacon to be 60 calories per slice; it was actually 20 calories PER slice. Three slices is a serving size, which totals to 60. I was pretty happy about that.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have examples or things that have surprised them? Good or Bad?

Eating out. Scary.
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options

The amount of peanut butter I get per serving is downright depressing though. :(

This
  • JayDavila
    Options
    I went out for lunch, got roast chicken, veggies, roast potatoes & a Yorkshire pudding.
    Was awfully shocked when it came to 724 calories!! Managed to stay within my limit that day...but still, that is a LOT for one meal.

Did the pudding get you?
  • JayDavila
    Options
    Surprised how healthy ingredients add up. Had a green salad with some added fruit, an ounce of Havarti cheese, walnuts, sunflower seeds - all added up it was over 420 calories! Only 50 of that was due to olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Yup people are always surprised by this but nuts are super calorie dense. That's whats adding up those calories in salads.

As for me, I'm surprised at how some unhealthy foods are not so high in calories. Like a package of ramen is only 200 calories but of course it's high in sodium.

Ramen.. Love it but not the fact that a serving is half the pack.. who eats 1/2 LOL I sure dont
  • JayDavila
    Options
    Yes! Canadian Bacon...I made myself an egg white omlette with veggies and once slice of Canadian bacon. I was expecting the Canadian bacon to be 60 calories per slice; it was actually 20 calories PER slice. Three slices is a serving size, which totals to 60. I was pretty happy about that.

WOW thats good to know, Ill have to get some Canadian bacon LOL
  • henriettevanittersum
    Options
    Quaker instant oatmeal - 1 tiny little package has 14 g of sugar. I'm just thankful they're a last resort breakfast and not something I eat on a regular basis!

Tip? I empty the package in a strainer so most of the sugar is out.
  • sesquive
    sesquive Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Also, you can make serving, put it a ziploc bag and drop it in your purse. I like to measure out a serving of dry oatmeal, 1/2 tblspoon of Maple sugar and 1/8 teaspoon of salt. Add 1/2 of a banana and you are good to go!
  • rustyguy
    rustyguy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Quaker instant oatmeal - 1 tiny little package has 14 g of sugar. I'm just thankful they're a last resort breakfast and not something I eat on a regular basis!

Tip? I empty the package in a strainer so most of the sugar is out.

Is that the flavored variety? I eat the regular (bland) flavor for breakfast and it's only 1g per serving.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Croissants and pastries... I rarely eat them anymore, mostly because they don't fill you up :sad:
    Bread. Just... ugh. I probably used to eat 1000 calories worth in one sitting. Now I buy the kind I tolerate and not the kind I love so I don't eat the whole loaf at once.
    Butter. 50 calories in a tiny piece. WTF.
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey before joining this site and I used to eat granola when I started making changes. A lot of granola. Because everyone says how healthy it is. But the calories?? Not worth it.

I was pleasantly surprised by Bacon. I've always been told that is was a lot worse. Yummm :)
  • ainokea8
    Options
    That flour tortilla wraps contain so much sodium :O
    Maybe it's just my brand but I logged it in today and it has 430 in sodium value! I was pretty shocked.
  • L4gym
    L4gym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have examples or things that have surprised them? Good or Bad?

When I first started my biggest surprise was nuts. However, I'm much more educated on macro nutrients and everything else I put in my body.