Surprises when logging ??

Options

Replies

• dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    This is such a great point. And the fact about measuring out an actual serving size. Cereals are the worst. I've seen friends, family, etc. just pour the box into a bowl (no measuring) and you know there was a good 5 cups in that bowl as opposed to the 3/4 cup or full cup that should be. So instead of 130 calories for a cup, you are looking at 650 calories, not including the milk. For some people, that's half their daily allowance of calories without exercising!! (Granola cereals are the worst because it's easily 200+ calories for a cup).
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    CARBS in everything! and the sodium omfg. Mind blowing.

Soups and anything from a box, like your side dishes: Rice a Roni, Lipton Noodles, etc. All preservatives. I try to do straight out veggies and a potato or sweet potato instead. Much better for you and a lot less sodium.
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    My biggest surprises have come in the form of how little of something there is:

-Years ago when I joined to get healthier and started logging food, I was shocked to find that I was only consuming 700-900 calories on an average day. (I should have ~1400 w/o any exercise.) I knew my no-breakfast way of life wasn't healthy, but jeez!

-A while later, I discovered the 'reports' section and discovered how little calcium I was getting, despite my new habit of eating yogurt every morning.

-About a week ago (in reports again), I discovered that there is barely any potassium in my diet at all, despite taking a multi every day and eating fairly healthy.

I have resolved to check the reports regularly instead of as a novelty to make sure my nutrition is on track.
  • JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    CARBS in everything! and the sodium omfg. Mind blowing.

Yea sodium is hard with tasty foods, carbs.. those are so tricky because of good and bad carbs. Just have to learn which carbs are good for you. It's hard to stay away from the bad ones tho! Like pasta which I love and Wheat pasta's just dont do it for me LOL
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I was surprised at how little salad dressing I really need, in lieu of pouring it on. I've switched from diet dressing to regular dressing, but use only 1 TBSP. Once you get used to having so little, anything more than that is too much.
  • JayDavila
    Options
    I was surprised at how little salad dressing I really need, in lieu of pouring it on. I've switched from diet dressing to regular dressing, but use only 1 TBSP. Once you get used to having so little, anything more than that is too much.

LOL definitely guilty of pouring it on, I put a TBSP of dressing in tuna and mix tuna into my salad, that way I had flavor throughout and didnt feel as if I didnt have enough dressing
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I had a cheat day on Saturday for my Dad's birthday, and I found it hard to believe that most of my calorie intake for the day was gone with 2 slices of pepperoni pizza, and a glass of Mtn Dew. (I do not drink soda regularly, but like I said, I splurged and had a treat that day). Unbelievable! It didn't fill me up either, which is the sad part. I'll stick to my chicken/turkey, sweet potatoes and healthier stuff to fill me up! It is nice once in a while though to have that cheat day. I allow 1 day per week. Psychologically it's good for you too.
  • JayDavila
    Options
    I had a cheat day on Saturday for my Dad's birthday, and I found it hard to believe that most of my calorie intake for the day was gone with 2 slices of pepperoni pizza, and a glass of Mtn Dew. (I do not drink soda regularly, but like I said, I splurged and had a treat that day). Unbelievable! It didn't fill me up either, which is the sad part. I'll stick to my chicken/turkey, sweet potatoes and healthier stuff to fill me up! It is nice once in a while though to have that cheat day. I allow 1 day per week. Psychologically it's good for you too.

If you check my logs I've done that as well lately while visiting family in NY, Love my NY pizza but DAMN!! You're right those calories get you.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options

The amount of peanut butter I get per serving is downright depressing though. :(

^^THIS. So sad.
  • JayDavila
    Options

The amount of peanut butter I get per serving is downright depressing though. :(

^^THIS. So sad.

Very true, I always thought I was doing good eating peanut butter specially with the amount of protein you get but be prepared for the fat content. Check your fat content availability 1st LOL
    Have you seen the numbers from a simple peanut butter and jelly sandwich??? Amazingly high
  • tigergem86
    tigergem86 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    SUBWAY!! :( i hate that place (secretly love it), but i hate when i build a freaking sandwich and it comes out just as many cals as a big mac meal. it was my 'healthy cheat' restaurant of choie but its just not worth it anymore. even when i eat it without the bread.
  • tigergem86
    tigergem86 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I also noticed that i dont get much potassium or iron :(
  • lilialley
    lilialley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Definitely orange juice and peanut butter. I gave up orange juice entirely, and now have at the most one tablespoon of peanut butter a day.

I shudder to think of the days I'd chow down on a bagel with tons of peanut butter, wash it down with a glass of orange juice, and think I was being relatively healthy.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    My biggest surprises have come in the form of how little of something there is:

-Years ago when I joined to get healthier and started logging food, I was shocked to find that I was only consuming 700-900 calories on an average day. (I should have ~1400 w/o any exercise.) I knew my no-breakfast way of life wasn't healthy, but jeez!

-A while later, I discovered the 'reports' section and discovered how little calcium I was getting, despite my new habit of eating yogurt every morning.

-About a week ago (in reports again), I discovered that there is barely any potassium in my diet at all, despite taking a multi every day and eating fairly healthy.

I have resolved to check the reports regularly instead of as a novelty to make sure my nutrition is on track.

Actually, the FDA does not require potassium to be reported on food labeling, so you are likely getting a lot more than you think.
  • JayDavila
    Options
    SUBWAY!! :( i hate that place (secretly love it), but i hate when i build a freaking sandwich and it comes out just as many cals as a big mac meal. it was my 'healthy cheat' restaurant of choie but its just not worth it anymore. even when i eat it without the bread.

Very true, thats why I prepare myself.. If im going to cheat.. IM GOING TO CHEAT LOL... just gotta be prepared to work it off afterwards., (Or atleast a good majority of it) and make sure its far and in-between doing it again.
  • JayDavila
    Options

I shudder to think of the days I'd chow down on a bagel with tons of peanut butter, wash it down with a glass of orange juice, and think I was being relatively healthy.

Im with you there!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not so much calories as proper portion sizes. I typically ate 3-4 times the recommended serving size of pretty much everything.
  • JayDavila
    Options
    Not so much calories as proper portion sizes. I typically ate 3-4 times the recommended serving size of pretty much everything.

Portion sizes are terrible LOL
  • Charis_Sophia
    Charis_Sophia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been surprised all over the place, but mostly that I can have ANYTHING as long as I scale it down to a small portion. I can use ANY condiments, have ANY desert, as long as I log it in MFP *before* I serve it so I know how much I want to have in my portion before my eyes even look at it and find I've eaten a whole package. Then I'm surprised by how I enjoy those small portions more than the large portions I used to largely wolf down. It's a win all the way around.
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Actually, the FDA does not require potassium to be reported on food labeling, so you are likely getting a lot more than you think.

That makes me feel a little better, but hardly any of my food is packaged as mostly everything I make is from primary foods. Perhaps I should double-check some of those foods to make sure that MFP has the correct nutrient counts for my meats and veggies.