Cardio vs Weights

Options
I'm looking for some actual advice here. I just came back, this is day 2 of trying again and hopefully the last time I "try". What has finally clicked is to do something you love to do so that you'll actually work out. I like the elliptical machine, and the exercise bike....but only for a while. Then I begin to hate even looking at the machine and the idea of getting on it for ANOTHER hour makes me want to vomit.

What I do love to do is lifting. I don't know a lot about it yet, I only use the machines so far. I have an appointment with a trainer next Monday and plan to ask about free weights and programs. However, I have this terror that if I don't do cardio I won't lose any weight.

I have the knowledge that muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less space. Muscle also burns more calories in a resting state and the added strength will take away my back and neck pain. When I was doing this before I did 3 days of cardio and 2 days of less cardio + weight machines per week. On day 2 I was already dreading the elliptical though and I am seriously wondering if it is possible to achieve my massive weight loss goals without doing cardio. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Lifting is significantly more effective for fat loss and muscle retention than cardio. Cardio is in no way necessary and many very successful, healthy people do no cardio.

Don't bother with machines though. They're inefficient and largely ineffective. To do this right, you'll want to become very familiar with a barbell. Look up a book called Starting Strength and a program called Stronglifts. They're basically the same program, but the Starting Strength book contains tons of information about how to properly perform the major lifts.

There's also a group called "lifting women" or something like that on MFP you may want to look up.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    BTW, I don't do cardio (though I do play tennis and racquetball).

But cardio is absolutely not required for your goals. I suggest you find something active you enjoy, like a sport, for your overall health, but it's not that big a deal. Lifting is enough.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If lifting is what you love, then lifting is what you should do. Consistency is the most important thing when it comes to exercise.

If you want to do cardio also there are plenty of options that don't involve a machine. Jump rope, jumping jacks, burpees, hiking, bike riding, walking, sports, swimming, etc.
  • bcattoes
    Options

That sentence can't possibly be true.
  • jonnythan
    Options

"Do cardio" to me means that the purpose of the activity is cardiovascular exercise specifically. That's not why I play tennis. I play tennis because tennis is fun and competitive. I'd never, ever grab my tennis racquet and say that I'm going to "do cardio."

I encourage people not to "do cardio" but to find something active they enjoy.
  • MyIrishSpirit
    MyIrishSpirit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you! You're the 2nd person to mention that book to me, I'm going to get it today! I don't know why I have this terror....it's really to the point where I know I'm going in to lift but cannot possibly do it before doing SOME cardio. More research and knowledge of lifting...let go of the elliptical! :laugh:

I'd love to pick up a sport but I've got that "I'm TOO fat" mentality... I went white water tubing last year and almost didn't because of my weight. I was sore for 2 weeks after and it took me twice as long as it should have but I did it and I'm glad. I need to figure out what I can do that I won't hate.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    There's also a book commonly recommended to women called New Rules of Lifting for Women. I haven't looked at it myself, but it seems to go over some basic lifts. The program apparently gets unnecessarily complex rather quickly and requires more specialized equipment than just a barbell and rack. I like to keep it simple and focus on the 4 main lifts with a couple of personalized accessory lifts thrown in where necessary.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I happen to believe you need both resistance training and cardio to be healthy. You can lose weight with no exercise at all so anything in between should work provided you track calories and don't overeat.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I agree to stick with compound lifts when beginning, but it's not because machines are ineffective. Machines are very effective at what they do - isolating a particular muscle. However, that's not what you need when you're first starting out. You're much better off sticking with compound movements like deadlifts, squats, presses, etc. that engage a whole host of muscles instead of simply isolating a very specific muscle.

Personally I still try to incorporate a bit of cardio into my routine, but it's not essential. For that matter, no activity is essential for weight loss. That said, recreational cardio is great if you can find an activity you enjoy, as it's both fun and good for your health. I personally do one day a week of steady state cardio on an elliptical and while I never look forward to it like I do lifting, it's not the end of the world either.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Best advice out there. Some people like being on a stationary machine of some sort, but for most of us, we can't stand it. The key is finding something you like to do and can stick with.
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You should always incorporate some type of cardio in your workout regimen. It's good for your heart. You don't have to do 1 hour though. 15-20 minutes a few days a week would be fine.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I read it as "I don't do cardio, except the cardio that I do"...

In my case I'd frame it as "I don't do cardio machines, I run..."
  • bcattoes
    Options

Best advice out there. Some people like being on a stationary machine of some sort, but for most of us, we can't stand it. The key is finding something you like to do and can stick with.

Absolutely agree. Well, I have no idea how many people can or can't stand machines, but enjoyment is important when it comes to any type of exercise. The more you enjoy it, the more you'll do it.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Check out the StrongLifts 5x5 for Women group. In the stickies at the top of the group page, is a summary of the program that will help you know what to expect. Lots of ladies on the program do cardio on their days off from lifting, you don't have to give it up completely. Go check out the group! There's a lot of info in the threads and someone is always willing to help with questions and support.

I also recommend reading Starting Strength. I put it off, because I thought it would be too technical, but it's really not.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    There's no one true religion.

Just eat a little less/move a little more and have fun doing it.

And FYI cardio doesn't have to be strapping yourself to the dreadmill for an hour. And resistance training doesn't have to mean Barbells.

Find what sparks you and stick with it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical machine, and the exercise bike....but only for a while. Then I begin to hate even looking at the machine and the idea of getting on it for ANOTHER hour makes me want to vomit.

What I do love to do is lifting. I don't know a lot about it yet, I only use the machines so far. I have an appointment with a trainer next Monday and plan to ask about free weights and programs. However, I have this terror that if I don't do cardio I won't lose any weight.

Exercise machines are the work of the devil, personally I loathe any type of indoor training and the prospect of training whilst staring at the same patch of wall fills me with dread.

As far as weight loss is concerned, you don't need to do any exercise to achieve that, just consume less energy than you expend. Clearly burning a lot of energy doing some form of CV work gives you plenty of scope to eat more flexibly. Notwithstanding that it is good to complement weight loss with some form of exercise. If you want to lift, lift.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I read it as "I don't do cardio, except the cardio that I do"...

In my case I'd frame it as "I don't do cardio machines, I run..."

"Doing cardio" is not fun.

Having fun is fun.

The point is to have fun, not "do cardio." Fun is good for the body and mind. Don't underestimate the psychological and physical benefits of being active and having fun. Torturing yourself by "doing cardio" that's no fun is not good for you.
  • mmargarette
    mmargarette Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    QUESTION!! Should doing resistance training be in interval days? Or is everyday or 5-6 times a week just fine and/or more effective? + calorie deficit (for losing weight)