Cardio vs Weights

Options

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    IDK.

I enjoy running but when I go for a run I still consider it "doing cardio"

If I were to grab a racket and play tennis I'd consider it "doing cardio".

If I go for a hike for fun at the end I usually turn to my husband and say "That was a good cardio workout!"

SO . . . .

Yeah. Even when I do fun things that I enjoy that aren't really considered a workout it still is one and I still call it such.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    As tempted as my inner linguist is to delve into a discussion over the connotations that surround "doing cardio" within specific fitness discourse communities, I'll just say...

I dislike being active. Period. I also dislike being overweight with a flabby body composition; I imagine I'd also dislike being skinny with a flabby composition. Sadly, finding solutions that compensate for those dislikes is a challenge. To add insult to injury (pun intended), when I am active, I seem to be bad at it. Running, and even walking, any significant distance will eventually cause problems for my joints. And that "eventually" seems to be much shorter in either distance or time for me than other people. It's probably my own fault through poor form. I also have an irregular heartbeat that sometimes causes issues.

I still walk, and try to do lower impact cardio (walking or elliptical), but I don't enjoy it. Streaming content on my phone makes it tolerable. I just don't enjoy moving. Moving seems to invariably cause me injury eventually. I do it anyway because some sort of cardio is usually considered "healthy", which I find ironic.

I also lift weights. I also don't enjoy it. I do it anyway because of the aforementioned composition preferences.

So while I think it would be ideal to find something I enjoy, it seems unlikely. I accept that fact, and try to be active most days anyway.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Surely people can agree that not all cardio is the same. When I use an elliptical machine, my goal is to keep my heart rate around 80% of my HRM for about an hour. If I go hiking for enjoyment, I'm pretty sure my heart rate isn't anywhere near 80% of my HRM. Cardio machines, although boring, provide a good way to control your exertion and your heart rate if that's your goal. This is much harder to do with recreational activities.

Yes, I can agree. It depends on where you hike. I live in a very hilly area. While I may hike steadily, it's not the same as steady state cardio on a machine. Climbing can definitely push me past the aerobic zone.

But it's still good for cardiovascular health. Actually I think this type workout improves my steady state ability more than just doing steady state.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    why do you care if she gets on machines...

why do you care if I care?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I can't believe people are still debating the semantics of what constitutes "cardio".
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Surely people can agree that not all cardio is the same. When I use an elliptical machine, my goal is to keep my heart rate around 80% of my HRM for about an hour. If I go hiking for enjoyment, I'm pretty sure my heart rate isn't anywhere near 80% of my HRM. Cardio machines, although boring, provide a good way to control your exertion and your heart rate if that's your goal. This is much harder to do with recreational activities.

Yes, I can agree. It depends on where you hike. I live in a very hilly area. While I may hike steadily, it's not the same as steady state cardio on a machine. Climbing can definitely push me past the aerobic zone.

But it's still good for cardiovascular health. Actually I think this type workout improves my steady state ability more than just doing steady state.

I agree. The idea that it isn't cardio just because you had fun seems kinda silly.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I can't believe people are still debating the semantics of what constitutes "cardio".

I can't believe you came in this thread just to make this comment.

Oh, wait. yes, I can. This is what Hornsby does. :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I agree. The idea that it isn't cardio just because you had fun seems kinda silly.

I don't think anyone said that tennis and hiking aren't cardio.

This whole thing started when I said I don't "do cardio." There are no activities in which I participate that I would ever refer to as "doing cardio."

I am active and do things like play tennis and ski. Those are indeed activities that include cardiovascular exercise.

My point in saying "I don't do cardio" was twofold:

1) It's not necessary for weight loss to engage in specific cardiovascular exercise
    2) It's more rewarding and sustainable to find activities you enjoy instead of engaging in an activity that can best be described as "doing cardio."

Here's the takeaway: if you're about to do something you would refer to as "doing cardio," just skip it. Either do something else active that you're doing because it's fun, not because it's "cardio," or just rest instead.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    IDK.

If I go for a hike for fun at the end I usually turn to my husband and say "That was a good cardio workout!"

SO . . . .

Yeah. Even when I do fun things that I enjoy that aren't really considered a workout it still is one and I still call it such.

Huh, Usually when I head out the door to the rink or to play hoops I usually say I'm going to play hockey or basketball, not "honey, going to do cardio."

I think we all know what he meant.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    IDK.

SO . . . .

Huh, Usually when I head out the door to the rink or to play hoops I usually say I'm going to play hockey or basketball, not "honey, going to do cardio."

I think we all know what he meant.

Same thing for me. When I go ride my bike, I don't consider it doing cardio. I know that I am getting more/better cardio than I would at the gym on a stationary, but it's fun, so I just consider it an activity.
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I happen to believe you need both resistance training and cardio to be healthy. You can lose weight with no exercise at all so anything in between should work provided you track calories and don't overeat.

I totally agree. Both cardio AND resistance training is needed to stay healthy. If you just so happen to be one of those people who loves sports and physical activity then lucky you. If not, cardio is needed and required to stay healthy and fit. :smile: As they say "Just Do It!"
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I don't think anyone said that tennis and hiking aren't cardio.

This whole thing started when I said I don't "do cardio." There are no activities in which I participate that I would ever refer to as "doing cardio."

I am active and do things like play tennis and ski. Those are indeed activities that include cardiovascular exercise.

My point in saying "I don't do cardio" was twofold:

1) It's not necessary for weight loss to engage in specific cardiovascular exercise
    2) It's more rewarding and sustainable to find activities you enjoy instead of engaging in an activity that can best be described as "doing cardio."

Here's the takeaway: if you're about to do something you would refer to as "doing cardio," just skip it. Either do something else active that you're doing because it's fun, not because it's "cardio," or just rest instead.

Meh. My "journey" has been about being honest with myself. I don't need to play word games and convince myself of things that aren't entirely true. If I start back down that road, I will right back to making excuses and rationalizing laziness. :flowerforyou:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

You must be new here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in well balanced fitness regimens that include aspects of both cardiovascular fitness and resistance/strength training.

I personally loath cardio for the sake of cardio...i.e. going in and droning away on an elliptical/stationary bike, etc. I do enjoy cycling, hiking, pickup basketball games, etc. All of these things do improve my cardiovascular fitness...but as others have pointed out, I'm not thinking to myself, "time to do some cardio"...I'm just going for a ride or a hike and hopefully enjoying the weather/scenery, etc. and being outdoors and improving my heart health along the way.

I think you need to further understand that losing weight is largely about diet...you don't have to create a calorie deficit with exercise...that's why you eat back exercise calories with MFP or include an estimate of them with TDEE. Exercise in general increases your calorie requirements and therefore you can eat more and still lose...but it is not necessary to losing weight.

Diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Wow...I am so hoping the OP got some answers for her question...

jonnythan, I got what you were saying about doing what you enjoy, and I'm sorry some felt the need to nitpick how you said it. I love to rollerblade...and hike...both get my heart rate up, and don't consider them a workout, simply because when I get to go do them they are a treat and a fun activity that happens to get my heart rate up at the same time. (So does sex, and I don't consider that a workout, either, but a much more regular treat than hiking and blading, LOL...) :bigsmile:

Ok, sorry...back on topic - OP, as a few others have mentioned, if you enjoy it, do check out the StrongLifts 5x5 program. The guy has videos on how to over on youtube; it's compound lifts, only five to remember, and is a really great place to start. I started doing 5x5 last February and doing only a little running sprinkled in over that year, I managed do get down to my goal weight by October. (And that was only lifting three times per week... :wink: )

If you don't enjoy it, you won't do it. Good luck, OP!!! I hope you enjoy lifting! :flowerforyou:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

jonnythan, I got what you were saying about doing what you enjoy, and I'm sorry some felt the need to nitpick how you said it. I love to rollerblade...and hike...both get my heart rate up, and don't consider them a workout, simply because when I get to go do them they are a treat and a fun activity that happens to get my heart rate up at the same time. (So does sex, and I don't consider that a workout, either, but a much more regular treat than hiking and blading, LOL...) :bigsmile:

Ok, sorry...back on topic - OP, as a few others have mentioned, if you enjoy it, do check out the StrongLifts 5x5 program. The guy has videos on how to over on youtube; it's compound lifts, only five to remember, and is a really great place to start. I started doing 5x5 last February and doing only a little running sprinkled in over that year, I managed do get down to my goal weight by October. (And that was only lifting three times per week... :wink: )

If you don't enjoy it, you won't do it. Good luck, OP!!! I hope you enjoy lifting! :flowerforyou:

"Hey baby... let's go do some cardio." :laugh:
  • wozzie67
    Options
    Hi, I do dread going to the gym, so i starting going swimming, which i enjoy much more 3/4 times a week doing an hour each time. So far not seen any weight loss except 2lb and been doing it regular since beginning of January. But i will keep going. I am watching my calories too and sticking to 1250 per day.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Nope, she's mine.
    Back off! =P

Julie, there are legitimate answers in here. Poor OP is gonnah ave to weed thru me and jonny arguing with chrs something. And the semantics argument on cardio lol
  • tammys_changing
    Options
    Currently, I try do at least 4 days strength training, 2 days of 30-45 min. of cardio (running) and 1 rest day. But mainly, I like the way I feel after a great run.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options

Nope, she's mine.
    Back off! =P

Julie, there are legitimate answers in here. Poor OP is gonnah ave to weed thru me and jonny arguing with chrs something. And the semantics argument on cardio lol

:flowerforyou: :love:

LOL...Lishie I know...It shouldn't have had to be that complicated...

We should all get together...wait...no...that would just be the wrong thing to say. :blushing: