Cardio vs Weights

Options

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    BTW, I don't do cardio (though I do play tennis and racquetball).

That sentence can't possibly be true.

"Do cardio" to me means that the purpose of the activity is cardiovascular exercise specifically. That's not why I play tennis. I play tennis because tennis is fun and competitive. I'd never, ever grab my tennis racquet and say that I'm going to "do cardio."

I encourage people not to "do cardio" but to find something active they enjoy.

So you don't do "steady-state" cardio, but only cardio that is enjoyable. That makes more sense than, "I don't do cardio, but I play sports."

Yeah... last week I couldn't run or do higher impact activities so I was stuck walking on a treadmill. I wanted to shoot myself. Walking outside would've been fine tho. Probably shouldve done that instead... hmmm
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Are people seriously suggesting going to the gym more than "3 hours a week" is overtraining and that working out out more than 3 hours a week is never better for your health? :laugh: Honestly overtraining is a real thing, but I don't think 3 hours/week is the threshold that constitutes overtraining. The lengths people will go to to defend their own routine as the best...

No one suggested that.

We attacked the idea that 3 hours a week is insufficient, and we attacked the idea that more is always better.
    +1
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    Are people seriously suggesting going to the gym more than "3 hours a week" is overtraining and that working out out more than 3 hours a week is never better for your health? :laugh: Honestly overtraining is a real thing, but I don't think 3 hours/week is the threshold that constitutes overtraining. The lengths people will go to to defend their own routine as the best...

No one suggested that.

We attacked the idea that 3 hours a week is insufficient, and we attacked the idea that more is always better.
    +1

+2
  • MissMeMandaLee
    MissMeMandaLee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try group classes! I used to dread cardio too, and some days I still do, but its harder to walk out of a group class then off the elliptical. I actually enjoy Zumba and my kickboxing class. Find an instructor whose teaching style you like and it will be kinda fun! I know I sound really annoying when I say exercise is fun, I can't even believe I actually think like that now, but I do. Its always harder at first, but once you notice a difference in your conditioning, you keep pushing yourself. Try a class once or twice a week. Try different ones. It might work for you. It did for me, and now I dread my non- class elliptical days (but I still do them). You will never regret a workout!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    There's also a book commonly recommended to women called New Rules of Lifting for Women. I haven't looked at it myself, but it seems to go over some basic lifts. The program apparently gets unnecessarily complex rather quickly and requires more specialized equipment than just a barbell and rack. I like to keep it simple and focus on the 4 main lifts with a couple of personalized accessory lifts thrown in where necessary.

^^^This is true. I started this book, and love it. Some of the exercises are kind of strange after the first stage though. It has some good info in it, and really helped me get started with lifting. It does have a lot of really good exercises in there. It's definately a great purchase. I got it on Amazon for less than $10 I think. Haven't read the other book mentioned. Personally OP, I love my Zumba too. Even though you may not have to do cardio to lose, it's still good for your heart, and gets your blood pumping. Of course lifting can do that too, but not to the extent that cardio does.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Of course the more you can get exercise in the better. I see people all the time at the gym who are heavy and only come 2-3 times a week. 3 months later they still look the same. You have to be in it to win it.

There are 3 sides to this game. Training, diet and rest and they all hold equal importance. It is not necessarily better to workout more. Those people who don't change who you've seen in the gym more than likely don't train intensely or they're eating too much or both! I used to train 4-5 times a week, I now train 3 times, sometimes only twice but my workouts a far more intense and I see much better results. I ran my body into the ground training 4 plus times, the rest simply wasn't adequate. Of course I could lower theiintensity but I want my body to change and I know the more intensely I train the more it will.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I can bench my weigh 5 times and run 7 minute miles (when needed!)

Serious WTF moment when I misread that as 5x my weight. :laugh:

only in my dreams but nice thought!
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Cardio is good for the heart and lungs and all that. But, who cares about that stuff. :drinker: As long as you look good. :bigsmile:

:laugh:

I do a mixture, but less emphasis on the cardio. It works for me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    lulz.

"I don't always do cardio, but when I do, I call it something else."

I see the point both of you are making.
    But im kind of with jonnythan here.
    Those activities are cardio but he's not doing them for that reason.
    Just like I go hiking and running because I enjoy them not because I feel I need to do cardio. For that purpose, I use the elliptical or some other machine.

Liking or not liking something doesn't change what it is, but your post confuses me. If you are hiking and running for enjoyment, why would you feel you needed to "do cardio" on a machine?
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I am in Phase 2 of New Rules of Lifting for Women. I lift 3x/week, 2 absolute rest days... and I do cardio maybe once a week usually. Typically the only time I do cardio is to earn more calories so I can have a glass of wine, a scoop of ice cream, etc. I have been consistently losing 1lb/week eating 1500-1600cals/day. According to my fitbit, my usual daily burn is between 1900-2200cals. (I'm 5'2, 172lb)

I love to run but with it being so cold outside... I don't have the opportunity very often. I work out at home so if its too cold to run, my cardio is playing the Wii Fit or Wii Dance. So... as you can see, it is VERY possible to lose weight with little to no cardio.

In the past, I have lost my weight doing exclusively cardio... hated it.... gained it all back. I love lifting... I never talk myself out of working out... and where my cardio workouts would usually take atleast an hour... my NROLFW workout is 30min tops. Definately recommend lifting over cardio.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    lulz.

Just like I go hiking and running because I enjoy them not because I feel I need to do cardio. For that purpose, I use the elliptical or some other machine.

Liking or not liking something doesn't change what it is, but your post confuses me. If you are hiking and running for enjoyment, why would feel you needed to "do cardio" on a machine?

Quirt arguing semantics. The meaning here is very clear.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    lulz.

Liking or not liking something doesn't change what it is, but your post confuses me. If you are hiking and running for enjoyment, why would feel you needed to "do cardio" on a machine?

It's not clear to me. She's already doing cardio (hiking or running) but still feels the need to go to the gym and do cardio. Why? Not thinking of a cardio exercise as cardio doesn't create a need for more cardio.

ETA: Or are we just talking about when weather prohibits hiking or running?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    lulz.

Liking or not liking something doesn't change what it is, but your post confuses me. If you are hiking and running for enjoyment, why would you feel you needed to "do cardio" on a machine?

Ah steady state cardio for exercise vs non steady state/steady state for enjoyment...maybe they only run for 5mins

I do not consiered hiking a "cardio workout", nor do I personally consider tennis a cardio workout...fun probably but not a workout..

But as said *shakes head* why argue the point...semantics is all it is...and you wont be happy until one of them says

"oh your right blah blah is cardio"...
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i do the strong lifts program and it has transformed my body quicker and better than any cardio i used to do. if i do any cardio at all, its either lifting weights faster or doing a 15-20 min kettlebell routine. i love kettlebell workouts because you are constantly doing something different every minute instead of just running in place, you burn twice as many calories in half as much time and its working your muscles at the same time as your heart (muscle) so you get the added benefit of continued calorie burn after the workout is done. :)
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    lulz.

It's not clear to me. She's already doing cardio (hiking or running) but still feels the need to go to the gym and do cardio. Why? Not thinking of a cardio exercise as cardio doesn't create a need for more cardio.

why do you care if she gets on machines...

I think we no know how you got 15k posts wow
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    lulz.

I only go to the gym and 'do cardio' as a warm up for lifting or the weather sucks so I can't be outside or I've broken myself again and need to use an elliptical
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Of course the more you can get exercise in the better. I see people all the time at the gym who are heavy and only come 2-3 times a week. 3 months later they still look the same. You have to be in it to win it.

There are 3 sides to this game. Training, diet and rest and they all hold equal importance. It is not necessarily better to workout more. Those people who don't change who you've seen in the gym more than likely don't train intensely or they're eating too much or both! I used to train 4-5 times a week, I now train 3 times, sometimes only twice but my workouts a far more intense and I see much better results. I ran my body into the ground training 4 plus times, the rest simply wasn't adequate. Of course I could lower theiintensity but I want my body to change and I know the more intensely I train the more it will.

^^ Totally This!

I see much better results when I train intensively for 2-3 times a week than if I just do some steady-state cardio 4-5 times a week. I also schedule in longer breaks. Every few months or so I take one week off and just do light calisthenics and a few bodyweight exercises, then back to it.Some people overlook the rest component, but it's on your rest day that your body rebuilds the muscles.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Surely people can agree that not all cardio is the same. When I use an elliptical machine, my goal is to keep my heart rate around 80% of my HRM for about an hour. If I go hiking for enjoyment, I'm pretty sure my heart rate isn't anywhere near 80% of my HRM. Cardio machines, although boring, provide a good way to control your exertion and your heart rate if that's your goal. This is much harder to do with recreational activities.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Sadly, rather than take our advice, Chrs86 has closed his diary.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    lulz.

Ah steady state cardio for exercise vs non steady state/steady state for enjoyment...maybe they only run for 5mins

I do not consiered hiking a "cardio workout", nor do I personally consider tennis a cardio workout...fun probably but not a workout..

But as said *shakes head* why argue the point...semantics is all it is...and you wont be happy until one of them says

"oh your right blah blah is cardio"...

To me, hiking is very much a cardio workout, and enjoyable one at that. So is taking a walk during my lunch break, climbing stairs instead of the taking the elevator, playing soccer or volleyball, doing jumping jacks, etc. I don't track any of these activities in any way, but I have mentally noted that my cardiovascular endurance has improved substantially from doing these types of things on a regular basis. Back in 2012, I couldn't walk more than a block or climb a flight of stairs without feeling like I might keel over and die. Now I can jump, run, or climb, or anything I choose to do without fear or pain. Taking enjoyment from an activity does not preclude gaining health or fitness benefits from the activity.