Just an observation....almost scared to post!

Options

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    You are so right on ! I have had to delete some of my posts because of bully`s on these board who think only their way is the right and only way to lose weight.

Agreed.

Certain people on MFP who have already lost the weight they were looking to lose think they are entitled and overall better than everyone else because they have already accomplished their goals.

I find them to be very narrow-minded. They think they have the right answer to everything. They think other individuals who are still in the process of losing weight's opinion is less valuable and accurate.

Most importantly they think what worked for them, will work for everyone else. Yes, there's only one way to lose weight: a calorie deficit. But everyone gets their calorie deficit different ways.

Oh. You're back.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    OP1: I'm not losing weight, what's wrong?
    Veteran Member: You're probably eating more than you realize.
    New-ish Member: You're putting on muscle!
    OP1: I'm putting on muscle!
    Veteran Member: No, and you're an idiot for not listening to me!

OP2: I'm not losing weight, what's wrong?
    Veteran Member: You're eating more than you think, idiot!

Every. Single. Time.

Examples? I can't remember an OP just being blatantly called an idiot without dishing out some pretty hefty insults first

I'll wait.

Here's one:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1176283-raspberry-ketones?hl=raspberry+ketones#posts-18375397

Here's the thing: people say they're not making fun of the person, but the product. But the way they make fun of the product they're also saying the person is an idiot for not knowing it's not going to help. It's January, there are a ton of new people here who have no reason to believe they're being lied to.

ETA:
    Don't post stupid things and people won't treat you like a stupid person.

Here's one now!

Read through, no one called the OP an idiot.
    They said there is no magic pill for weightloss, which is true

Still waiting.
    You lost points for being too literal. "Here we go again" and "This is going to be good" are insulting the poster. You know this. You're not stupid.

It's 2014. This is the internet. There's no excuse for asking about a product without doing a single Google or Wikipedia search on it first.
  • mariaborden37
    Options
    Agreed...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    LOL I am waiting for the wolf pack to jump in...

< Insert wolf pack gif >

Also, in for people who have been here for a couple of years who have less than a hundred posts...

...complaining about the "tone" of those who dare to extend themselves to try to help others.

I'd more strongly consider their comments if they had some experience of consistently trying to offer help to strangers in the forums.

TL;DR - How about instead of complaining about how you think it's being done, you lead by example?
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Every. Single. Time.

Examples? I can't remember an OP just being blatantly called an idiot without dishing out some pretty hefty insults first

I'll wait.

Here's one:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1176283-raspberry-ketones?hl=raspberry+ketones#posts-18375397

Here's the thing: people say they're not making fun of the person, but the product. But the way they make fun of the product they're also saying the person is an idiot for not knowing it's not going to help. It's January, there are a ton of new people here who have no reason to believe they're being lied to.

ETA:

Here's one now!

Still waiting.
    You lost points for being too literal. "Here we go again" and "This is going to be good" are insulting the poster. You know this. You're not stupid.

It's 2014. This is the internet. There's no excuse for asking about a product without doing a single Google or Wikipedia search on it first.
    The majority of these searches bring back results saying these are good ideas. That's why we have this problem in the first place!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

*then...the facedesking and gifs begin*

In for gifs!!!!!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options

Every. Single. Time.

This happened 3-4 times in the same thread today......minus the whole "you're an idiot" thing of course.

No. This is what happens.

Veteran Member: What's your height, current weight and what are your calorie goals set at? Do you use a scale?
    OP1: I set it at 2lbs/week even though I have 5-30lbs and no, I don't use a scale.
    Veteran Member: Invest in a scale and weigh everything everyday. I also notice you aren't logging consistently and using a lot of quick adds. Log everything and do it everyday.
    OP1: I'm putting on muscle! Okay, thanks! Great to know!
    Veteran Member: No, you are more than likely not putting on muscle as it is hard to do on a deficit unless you have a lot of fat to lose (which at 5-30 you really don't). You may be experiencing water retention and noob gains though. But honestly, I'd suggest you do the things I said in the previous post.
    2nd Veteran Member: ^This
    3rd Veteran Member: I'd do what Veteran Member said.
    New-ish Member: Do a detox and ketones! And don't eat after 6pm!
    Veteran Member2: No, your body detoxes yourself and you don't have to buy ketones. And meal timing is irrelevant. Just eat at a calorie deficit and you'll be fine.
    OP1: Oh! A detox! I'll try that and the ketones. Can you get them at the store or online? Are they cheap? And I try not to eat after 6pm because I heard that it makes you gain weight.
    Veteran Member: No, that's not true. Meal timing is irrelevant and ketones aren't going to speed up or guarantee your weight loss. Why not just eat at a deficit and use the scale to measure things before spending your money?
    OP1: No need to be rude. I'm just going to do what I want to do. I can't believe the negativity on these forums.

*then...the facedesking and gifs begin*

QFT!!! Over and over and OVER again!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Here, I believe, lies the issue. You quoted those two things. Neither of those (the first one is close, but not an actual quote from that thread) quotes was in that thread.

This means, of course, that you are seeing things that aren't actually there and most likely projecting your own issues onto other posters.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Every. Single. Time.

I'll wait.

Here's one:

ETA:

Here's one now!

Still waiting.

The majority of these searches bring back results saying these are good ideas. That's why we have this problem in the first place!

The first Google result is Wikipedia, which says:

"Although products containing this compound are marketed for weight loss, there is no clinical evidence for this effect in humans."

The second result is a link to buy them on Amazon.

The third result is a link to WebMD that says:

"However, it is important to keep in mind that there is no reliable scientific evidence that it improves weight loss when taken by people."

The fourth result is a HuffPost article titled "What They Don't Want You to Know About Raspberry Ketones" that leads with this sentence:

"Before you jump on the raspberry ketone bandwagon, there are a few things you should know about this over-priced, proclaimed weight-loss miracle in a bottle."
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Nope, as I said. Just an observation. Free country and all that, which means you're all free to be as mean, insulting and childish as you'd like.

Ironically, that is the most "mean, insulting and childish" comment in the thread.

Looks like the OP has officially lost it...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    HeuNfVl.jpg \m/

I love moon moon. I want to adopt him.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

1) I think you are projecting what you want to see on these threads.
    2) a simple Google search for "raspberry ketones" turned up Dr. Oz, a few amazon ads, and a whole bunch of negative reviews, so I don't quite know where you are getting your inf.
  • SailorKnightWing
    Options

Every. Single. Time.

I'll wait.

Here's one:

ETA:

Here's one now!

Still waiting.

"Although products containing this compound are marketed for weight loss, there is no clinical evidence for this effect in humans."

"However, it is important to keep in mind that there is no reliable scientific evidence that it improves weight loss when taken by people."

The fourth result is a HuffPost article titled "What They Don't Want You to Know About Raspberry Ketones" that leads with this sentence:

"Before you jump on the raspberry ketone bandwagon, there are a few things you should know about this over-priced, proclaimed weight-loss miracle in a bottle."
    And that's part of the issue, that Google tailors searches based on your history unless you choose to turn that feature off. When I search "raspberry ketones" without having searched for it before, the first several entries (excluding Wikipedia, which has a bad rep among some people for some reason) are positive endorsements including Dr. Oz, who for some reason still has credibility with millions of Americans.

I'm not saying we shouldn't correct people. I'm saying we should understand that they don't know better and not take our frustration out on them.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    OP, apparently violence solves everything! Look at WW1, WW2, the cold war, vietnam... etc...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If you think this place is mean, I recommend that you never post anything on the internet. Ever.

Because this place is rainbows and sunshine compared to most.

If you want to brave the waters, pay attention to what you write, and be careful not to come across as snippy - it's easy to do. We rely on tone of voice and facial expression to communicate more than you'd think, and when we can't use either one, well, mistakes get made by reader and writer alike. If you ask for advice, don't turn around and make excuses for why no one's advice will work for you. If you make a mistake, own up to it. Don't keep insisting you're right. And don't post the same thing as another post on the main page. That's just annoying.

Mainly, relax. Don't take things personally. We don't know you, and you don't know us. Don't make our comments any more important than they should be.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Every. Single. Time.

I'll wait.

Here's one:

ETA:

Here's one now!

Still waiting.

I know when I look up products, I type in (Product) reviews and I'll even do a second search (Product) complaints. If I look at reviews on Amazon, I make sure to read the 1, 2 and 3 stars as the 4 and 5 star ratings can be full of high ratings from those that were given the products for free or ratings from those that work with the company.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Every. Single. Time.

I'll wait.

Here's one:

ETA:

Here's one now!

Still waiting.

And that's part of the issue, that Google tailors searches based on your history unless you choose to turn that feature off. When I search "raspberry ketones" without having searched for it before, the first several entries (excluding Wikipedia, which has a bad rep among some people for some reason) are positive endorsements including Dr. Oz, who for some reason still has credibility with millions of Americans.

I'm not saying we shouldn't correct people. I'm saying we should understand that they don't know better and not take our frustration out on them.

Interesting. Regardless, I have no sympathy for someone asking about something for which they have clearly spent ZERO time learning about.
  • SailorKnightWing
    Options
    Snip because holy cow this is getting long.

Interesting. Regardless, I have no sympathy for someone asking about something for which they have clearly spent ZERO time learning about.
    Isn't asking on these forums an attempt to learn about things?
  • rhonnist
    Options
    WOW...I am so sorry to hear that adults are acting like schoolyard bullies. Don't let them rent space in your head. If they are mean, it speaks more to the type of person they are then who you are. There is no such thing as a stupid question. Not asking a question would be denying yourself knowledge. Just because they know the answer (or so they think), doesn't mean everyone does. Knowledge, just like getting in shape & losing weight, starts with taking a step forward & the only way to become more knowledgeable is to ask questions. If others fault you for not knowing something, then they need to check themselves. Ignore the bullies & read only the positive things that people write. If you start reading & it is derogatory, stop reading & move to the next comment. GOOD LUCK TO YOU, STAY STRONG & STAY THE COURSE. :)
  • kittykat925
    kittykat925 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    HeuNfVl.jpg \m/

I love moon moon. I want to adopt him.

Moon Moon looks like my dog LOL
This discussion has been closed.