Just an observation....almost scared to post!

Options
I haven't been posting or even reading these posts very much until recently, but wow.....has anyone else noticed how mean people can be? I'm afraid to ask any questions for fear of being ridiculed for being utterly ignorant about how my own body works. Yes, I'd like to lose weight; Yes, I realize it takes hard work and dedication; Yes, I am HUMAN and make mistakes, excuses, missteps, etc. No one is perfect.

As I said, just an observation.

Replies

• wkhauser
    wkhauser Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this as well, but I guess that's the risk you take. However, you chose to poke the bear by posting this instead of asking a question?? I really don't see how this will end well.
  • Zomb1eMummy
    Zomb1eMummy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I can agree to a point. There are some mean people on here who are just that...mean. There are also know-it-alls who come off mean as well. But there are a lot of people on here who are amazing and nice. Most of the people on here just don't put up with BS and do not want to see continous whining or excuses. If you ask for help, take advice, do not just make excuses. Take the advice given to you.
  • dodie2501
    dodie2501 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Indeed, I have been taken aback at some of the sarcastic remarks! I am renowned for having a gob on me, but I would never kick someone when theyre down AS WE ALL ARE, ELSE WE WOULDN'T BE ASKING FELLOW SO CALLED HUMANS FOR THEIR THOUGHTS AND ADVICE. If you can't make a constructive, encouraging comment then take a good look on the inside of your self instead of worrying about what the outside looks like. Join another community.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    You aren't the first to make the observation, and you won't be the last either.

I have been here for a bit more than a year, and like any other open space on the internet there will be all kinds of people. BUT, I have found that for the most part everyone who has taken the time to help me out, answer my questions (even the crazy ones from when I first started) are all very nice people with a lot of knowledge.

As for the responses that are "mean" just keep in mind a few things
    1) Look for and read the helpful details people offer up
    2) Don't ask the same question 500 times because you don't really like the answer
    3) You are a stranger to the forum, the other posters are strangers to you. Nothing is personal, so don't let it get to you.

Best wishes with your choice to get healthier for life!
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Post anyway. Take what is useful to you. Leave the rest. When you have something to say to another user, go ahead and participate. There are a lot of reasonable and thoughtful people using the boards.

Edited for autocorrect madness.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Read previous threads. If your topic hasn't been asked, then post.

Hence why people freak out when the same damn thing is posted 2489038043 times a week. :angry:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I haven't been posting or even reading these posts very much until recently, but wow.....has anyone else noticed how mean people can be? I'm afraid to ask any questions for fear of being ridiculed for being utterly ignorant about how my own body works. Yes, I'd like to lose weight; Yes, I realize it takes hard work and dedication; Yes, I am HUMAN and make mistakes, excuses, missteps, etc. No one is perfect.

As I said, just an observation.

I'd say you are mostly incorrect in your assessment(s).

The only people that get "ridiculed" are the ones that have no clue what they are talking about. Yet, they insist that they are correct, even when presented with actual scientific evidence/proof of the opposite of what they are saying. And they continue to believe the broscience and/or pseudoscience that "supports" their claims.

I guess that's not entirely true, either. I've seen many of those people "ridicule" those that have actually studied and learned how things actually work because they refuse to understand that they don't know everything. There is also a subset of posters that get "ridiculed" due to their affiliations with certain fitness-related companies. Outside of those few cases, it's typically fine.

If you really have questions, I would recommend using MFP's search feature. I say that I "would," but the search feature here is terrible. Try it if you like, but don't be surprised if you go through three pages of results - all referring you to the same 2 threads. Ask the community. You'll get answers. Listen to the people that can provide actual scientific studies to support their claims - not people telling you to watch faux documentaries or youtube videos or read blogs.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    In for another mean people thread.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    No, you're right, this place is downright nasty. It's a lot more mean spirited than any other internet forum I've evern been on. Post at your own risk. I've been here on and off for a few years, it's always been this way.

But if you sift through it, there's also a lot of good information and really knowledgeable, supportive people so you just have to push through it and know when to not engage.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I'm perfect.

I love being mean.

Is this the right thread for me?
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    So you find this place to be filled with mean people and you are afraid to post yet you post this? :huh:

Ok.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    Can of worms....opened....
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    :laugh: In because this topic always ends well....
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    The problems happen when advice is requested by the OP, appropriate advice is given by posters, and the OP disagrees and tells them that their advice is wrong, and that they were doing it right the entire time.

Don't post and ask for opinions unless you actually want them.

Take what you like, and leave the rest. End of story.
  • SexKittenlovesitrough
    Options
    I see your mean person post...

and raise you a "1200 calorie diet" thread...
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    In for observing.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    this again....?

disgust.gif
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Indeed, I have been taken aback at some of the sarcastic remarks! I am renowned for having a gob on me, but I would never kick someone when theyre down AS WE ALL ARE, ELSE WE WOULDN'T BE ASKING FELLOW SO CALLED HUMANS FOR THEIR THOUGHTS AND ADVICE. If you can't make a constructive, encouraging comment then take a good look on the inside of your self instead of worrying about what the outside looks like. Join another community.

So you come in a yell at us, pot calling kettle black :noway:
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    in for meanies!
  • mboromom
    mboromom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ignore the idiots and they will go away. There are plenty of nice, supportive people on this site befriend them and problem solved.
This discussion has been closed.