Just an observation....almost scared to post!

Options

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP~truth hurts!! :bigsmile:
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    "mean people suck................"
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    LOL I am waiting for the wolf pack to jump in...
    HeuNfVl.jpg \m/
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I think about 90% of the time the "mean" people are not actually being mean, but bluntness can be misinterpreted as nastiness when you can't hear inflection. The only time I really see people start to lose their tempers is when someone asks a question with a certain answer in mind and then dismisses all the good advice that doesn't fit that answer.

Bottom line: don't ask a question you don't want an honest answer to. And give people the benefit of the doubt; most are genuinely trying to help.
    Yes, this!!!!
  • mboromom
    mboromom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The only other thing I can think of is be meaner than they are. Show them meanies what it means to be mean! :explode:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    yup, some nasty people up here, the mean ones don't know how to avoid a thread and not make a dumb mean comments!!! They get joy in being a**holes to people!!! If you think the thread,question,comment etc is stupid how about you don't comment if its rude and mean! BUT the world if filled with them, there like cockroaches in NY, there every where!!! lol

And sometimes it's the oversensitive people looking for any reason to be butthurt that end up labeling others as mean.

And many times, their comments aren't dumb, but rather insightful and full of good advice. It's just deemed mean because it isn't "supportive".

I remember a certain someone in a joke thread that got offended in one of those quirky rate type threads and accused someone of being racist because of who they were married to....even though it was just part of the thread game and in reality, had nothing to do with that person.

It's all on how you choose to take something. In truth, tone is very hard to derive from text and what you project or imagine it to be is what tends to set you off...not the person.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    "mean people suck................"
    I that why so many men like bishes???
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The problems happen when advice is requested by the OP, appropriate advice is given by posters, and the OP disagrees and tells them that their advice is wrong, and that they were doing it right the entire time.

Don't post and ask for opinions unless you actually want them.

Take what you like, and leave the rest. End of story.

^^ This.

When people sincerely post a question looking for advice, most of the responses I've seen have been helpful and friendly.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    6a00d834527dd469e20105364b1f9b970b-800wi1.jpg
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    HeuNfVl.jpg \m/

tumblr_mmaxuvLddV1r4plzao1_500.jpg
  • jackpotclown
    Options
    Can someone post the dead horse gif for me!?

JACKPOT!!!! This one has your name on it!
    oh.....alright.....
    beating-a-dead-horse.jpg \m/
  • H4rpy
    H4rpy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing. Most of the posters labeled "mean" around here are actually very nice, knowledgeable people who make sincere efforts to help when they see questions. Their tone is civil and honest, but what they say is often not what the asker wanted to hear, so they are called "bullies," "mean," "trolls," and "know-it-alls." Honestly, the vitriol/snark I see on this board is posted by the people spreading or looking for misinformation because they want a quick fix or just can't admit they don't know everything ever.

Some handy things to keep in mind while posting and reading around here, in my experience...

1. Someone disagreeing with you does not equal a bully, meanie, or troll.
    2. Someone neglecting to sugar-coat the truth for you does not equal a bully, meanie, or troll.
    3. Someone asking to see your scientific, peer-reviewed evidence does not equal a bully, meanie, or troll.

Watch the tickers and you'll see a trend in who actually knows what they're talking about. These folks are awesome, have great senses of humor, and will help you if you let them.

:flowerforyou:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    6a00d834527dd469e20105364b1f9b970b-800wi1.jpg

BongRecreationArea_300.jpg
  • jackpotclown
    Options
    HeuNfVl.jpg \m/

large.jpg \m/
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Fresh crop of newbies = fresh crop of mean people threads
    giphy.gif
  • LALALA28115
    Options
    I haven't been posting or even reading these posts very much until recently, but wow.....has anyone else noticed how mean people can be? I'm afraid to ask any questions for fear of being ridiculed for being utterly ignorant about how my own body works. Yes, I'd like to lose weight; Yes, I realize it takes hard work and dedication; Yes, I am HUMAN and make mistakes, excuses, missteps, etc. No one is perfect.

As I said, just an observation.
    Well here is advice I've given my boys who grew up in the internet age (they literally do not recall NOT having the internet around, even if we did start with dial-up way back when!)
    "What do you care if someone you don't know and will never meet says something mean to you on the internet?"
    Yes, there is a lot of great advice out there, but just like a garden, you sometimes have to deal with weeds and pricks to get to the gorgeous flowers and I ignore the awful two and enjoy the wonderful bouquet of helpful advice.
    Anyone here losing weight didn't always have it together or they'd not be here, so if someone acts like EVERYONE should know something, then they are not someone I'd want to take advice from anyway.
    Don't let others harsh your mellow...but in that same vein, don't expect people to hug and kiss you virtually when you say you are eating your 'poison', it's good to have a realistic kick in the butt reminding you to GET ON TRACK!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean Mean
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    HeuNfVl.jpg \m/

large.jpg \m/

lol I forgot about moon moon!:heart:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Fresh crop of newbies = fresh crop of mean people threads
    giphy.gif

On the bright side, the chances of hitting MFP Bingo is on a rise!
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options

Some handy things to keep in mind while posting and reading around here, in my experience...

1. Someone disagreeing with you does not equal a bully, meanie, or troll.
    2. Someone neglecting to sugar-coat the truth for you does not equal a bully, meanie, or troll.
    3. Someone asking to see your scientific, peer-reviewed evidence does not equal a bully, meanie, or troll.

Watch the tickers and you'll see a trend in who actually knows what they're talking about. These folks are awesome, have great senses of humor, and will help you if you let them.

Also, this ^^ You might want to do what I do - I found a bunch of great, successful, helpful people and added them to my Friends List. THAT'S my first stop when I have questions.
This discussion has been closed.