Just an observation....almost scared to post!

Options

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    The MFP forum is one of the nicer ones on the internet. Seriously. Try other forums and you'll see.
    Yes. This.

This has to be, what, the 5th day in a row I've seen one of these? Am I stuck in a loop?

groundhog-day.gif
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Can someone post the dead horse gif for me!?

696.gif
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I feel, ya when I first started and had tons of questions that some mean people considered stupid, But ask anyway there are nice people on here as well and I have gotten a lot of help and icnored the mean.. .If you wanna add me I would love to help you and not be mean !! You can help me too !! :)

it's likely your questions were not stupid, but perhaps redundant.
    did you put any effort into searching for information regarding your questions before posting them?
    this site (like most forums) offers a very functional and time-saving search feature for just that reason.
    :flowerforyou:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    LOL I am waiting for the wolf pack to jump in...

< Insert wolf pack gif >
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    No, you're right, this place is downright nasty. It's a lot more mean spirited than any other internet forum I've evern been on. Post at your own risk. I've been here on and off for a few years, it's always been this way.

But if you sift through it, there's also a lot of good information and really knowledgeable, supportive people so you just have to push through it and know when to not engage.

In...

And I'd recommend staying away from forums on;

gaming
    sports
    parenting
    religion
    politics

This place is one of the tamest boards I've ever seen.....
    Re raise a "ToM weight gain" thread

And I Re, Reraise with a cleanse thread.

I re, re, reraise you a "I don't want to lift and look like a man" thread
  • mboromom
    mboromom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ignore the idiots and they will go away. There are plenty of nice, supportive people on this site befriend them and problem solved.

we will not go away. we will refuse to go away. resistance is futile. give in to your hate -- join us. :flowerforyou:

Oh Shiznit, I've been invited to sit at the cool kids table!!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Oh, and this.

a_560x375.jpg
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You come for the mean.... but you stay for the gifs...

Fvgzm.gif
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Oh no. I see you've noticed the drama on MFP.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    No, you're right, this place is downright nasty. It's a lot more mean spirited than any other internet forum I've evern been on. Post at your own risk. I've been here on and off for a few years, it's always been this way.

But if you sift through it, there's also a lot of good information and really knowledgeable, supportive people so you just have to push through it and know when to not engage.

In...

And I'd recommend staying away from forums on;

gaming
    sports
    parenting
    religion
    politics

This place is one of the tamest boards I've ever seen.....
    Re raise a "ToM weight gain" thread

And I Re, Reraise with a cleanse thread.

I re, re, reraise you a "I don't want to lift and look like a man" thread
    I'll see all of the above and raise you a "Should I only log water as water" thread.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Ignore the idiots and they will go away.

heh that's funny....we used to think the same thing....yet.....here they are.....still.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Fvgzm.gif
    I just come for the gifs. I will never be annoyed by these posts simply for this reason.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options

Fvgzm.gif
    I just come for the gifs. I will never be annoyed by these posts simply for this reason.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    9/10, the cause of the mean is because someone posts something that is seen here a million times daily, doesn't get the answer they want to hear and so all the advice is 'MEAN".

Not getting an answer you want to hear does not = mean.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    yup, some nasty people up here, the mean ones don't know how to avoid a thread and not make a dumb mean comments!!! They get joy in being a**holes to people!!! If you think the thread,question,comment etc is stupid how about you don't comment if its rude and mean! BUT the world if filled with them, there like cockroaches in NY, there every where!!! lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I haven't been posting or even reading these posts very much until recently, but wow.....has anyone else noticed how mean people can be? I'm afraid to ask any questions for fear of being ridiculed for being utterly ignorant about how my own body works. Yes, I'd like to lose weight; Yes, I realize it takes hard work and dedication; Yes, I am HUMAN and make mistakes, excuses, missteps, etc. No one is perfect.

As I said, just an observation.

- Don't confuse straightforwardness and bluntness for rudeness or being mean. Very often, those straightforward and blunt answers are the correct ones.

- Realize that support doesn't necessary mean someone just telling you something you want to here.

- Do a lot of your own research in RE to the science in all of this. By and large, this is science...we are not all really that different...and there are no magical potions or shortcuts to being a healthier, fitter, and leaner you. Pseudo Science, Bro-science, mythology, etc do not really go over too well here.

- I see truly mean posts from time to time, but by and large I see a lot of good information which often comes wrapped in sarcasm...and as noted previously, a lot of people are just blunt and to the point. People tend to view lack of confirmation for whatever it is they are believing in/doing/etc to be "mean"

- Just ignore truly mean posts...they are few and far between in my experience..but people like to make mountains out of moll hills.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    5b0aff169bca94ff04b88351f6da5c3f.jpg
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I think about 90% of the time the "mean" people are not actually being mean, but bluntness can be misinterpreted as nastiness when you can't hear inflection. The only time I really see people start to lose their tempers is when someone asks a question with a certain answer in mind and then dismisses all the good advice that doesn't fit that answer.

Bottom line: don't ask a question you don't want an honest answer to. And give people the benefit of the doubt; most are genuinely trying to help.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I haven't been posting or even reading these posts very much until recently, but wow.....has anyone else noticed how mean people can be? I'm afraid to ask any questions for fear of being ridiculed for being utterly ignorant about how my own body works. Yes, I'd like to lose weight; Yes, I realize it takes hard work and dedication; Yes, I am HUMAN and make mistakes, excuses, missteps, etc. No one is perfect.

As I said, just an observation.

I've been here over two years, and I've found this place to be full of smart, fun, supportive people. There's a lot of them if you pay attention and really look around.

It does happen, but is not that common to see someone who openly asks a genuine question, and is actually looking for honest feedback, to be attacked or ridiculed. It is a shame when it does.

I think the approach you take in asking and responding plays a big role in how questions are received. It is often that way off the Internet too.

Ultimately, you get what you give.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I feel, ya when I first started and had tons of questions that some mean people considered stupid, But ask anyway there are nice people on here as well and I have gotten a lot of help and icnored the mean.. .If you wanna add me I would love to help you and not be mean !! You can help me too !! :)

it's likely your questions were not stupid, but perhaps redundant.
    did you put any effort into searching for information regarding your questions before posting them?
    this site (like most forums) offers a very functional and time-saving search feature for just that reason.
    :flowerforyou:

Yes, I wish more people utilized this helpful feature.

It's not that people are usually trying to be mean, but when someone 1. posts asking for advice 2. argues against any advice given 3. declares they have been doing it right all along even thought they asked for advice then that is when people who are disagreeing are labelled as being "mean".
This discussion has been closed.