Just an observation....almost scared to post!

Options

Replies

• Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I try and treat everyone exactly how I want to be treated. I grew up on the Internet and my manners hopefully are the same as in real life. I typically don't write ma'am or sir but when speaking I make sure to address people correctly.

While this forum/community has some pretty rough edges and there are some people that just enjoy trolling people. You have to understand that everyone isn't going to be your best pal and/or motivate you every single time you're down. I have people on my friends list that drive me nuts with the complaining/whining but they need a little more support than the next person. I don't ridicule them but I have told them to buck up and stop with the crying. I may had came off as insincere but that wasn't my intentions sometimes people need a dose of reality and it hurts.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    We see about one of these "mean people" threads a week. In fact, there was a very similar one last night. These posts are never going to change anything and they just become a lightening rod for sarcasm and gifs.

I guarantee you that 90% of the helpful, responsive posters have been labeled as mean, unhelpful bullies by those who disagree. This board trends towards tough love, true, and the posters here don't put up with misinformation and fads. But there are also tons of posters here who know their stuff and are willing to help out where they can. If that's not for you, there are plenty of groups that will hand-hold for you and an ignore feature if you click the little arrow below anyone's user name.

Which is a long way of saying ...in for the sarcasm and gifs.
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    Options
    LOL I am waiting for the wolf pack to jump in...
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been on 4chan?:)
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    The MFP forum is one of the nicer ones on the internet. Seriously. Try other forums and you'll see.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I see your mean person post...

and raise you a "1200 calorie diet" thread...
    Re raise a "ToM weight gain" thread
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    No, you're right, this place is downright nasty. It's a lot more mean spirited than any other internet forum I've evern been on. Post at your own risk. I've been here on and off for a few years, it's always been this way.

But if you sift through it, there's also a lot of good information and really knowledgeable, supportive people so you just have to push through it and know when to not engage.

In...

And I'd recommend staying away from forums on;

gaming
    sports
    parenting
    religion
    politics

This place is one of the tamest boards I've ever seen.....
    Re raise a "ToM weight gain" thread

And I Re, Reraise with a cleanse thread.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Ignore the idiots and they will go away. There are plenty of nice, supportive people on this site befriend them and problem solved.

we will not go away. we will refuse to go away. resistance is futile. give in to your hate -- join us. :flowerforyou:
  • My_Own_Worst_Enemy
    My_Own_Worst_Enemy Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I haven't been posting or even reading these posts very much until recently, but wow.....has anyone else noticed how mean people can be? I'm afraid to ask any questions for fear of being ridiculed for being utterly ignorant about how my own body works. Yes, I'd like to lose weight; Yes, I realize it takes hard work and dedication; Yes, I am HUMAN and make mistakes, excuses, missteps, etc. No one is perfect.

As I said, just an observation.

Nope havent noticed. Never seen a thread regarding this topic either. I believe you might be the only one to feel this way.

:flowerforyou:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    This is a nicer place than 4chan.

I gave up asking for help/advice/questions on here. I read up on things, figure out if it works for me, then move on. I'm mostly in the forums for gifs.

tumblr_mx7hhkPNnb1snjubfo8_r1_250.gif
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I haven't been posting or even reading these posts very much until recently, but wow.....has anyone else noticed how mean people can be? I'm afraid to ask any questions for fear of being ridiculed for being utterly ignorant about how my own body works. Yes, I'd like to lose weight; Yes, I realize it takes hard work and dedication; Yes, I am HUMAN and make mistakes, excuses, missteps, etc. No one is perfect.

As I said, just an observation.

Nope havent noticed. Never seen a thread regarding this topic either. I believe you might be the only one to feel this way.

:flowerforyou:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Ignore the idiots and they will go away. There are plenty of nice, supportive people on this site befriend them and problem solved.

we will not go away. we will refuse to go away. resistance is futile. give in to your hate -- join us. :flowerforyou:

I imaging you doing this after you posted:
    tumblr_mx7hhkPNnb1snjubfo2_r1_250.gif
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    y-u-no-broken-record_o_1120226.jpg
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for others, but I'm here to learn and give advice. I'm not very diplomatic and I won't sugar-coat things. I'll tell you how it is.

If you don't like that, the proper thing to do is probably ignore me rather than start threads complaining about it.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Can someone post the dead horse gif for me!?
  • kathywaters6874
    Options
    I feel, ya when I first started and had tons of questions that some mean people considered stupid, But ask anyway there are nice people on here as well and I have gotten a lot of help and icnored the mean.. .If you wanna add me I would love to help you and not be mean !! You can help me too !! :)
  • DONNALEES
    DONNALEES Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!! I have had my own encounter with a nasty person or two on here but, I no longer let it bother me. Other people don't define who I am as a person. This journey is about me and my own health not them. Don't worry about the nasty comments. Focus on positive people who have useful advice to give and don't be bothered by the others there is no point in wasting time on negativity.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to log the calories burned under "Beating (dead horse), vigorous effort".
    88611-beating-dead-horse-gif-South-P-ZqEc.gif
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Can someone post the dead horse gif for me!?

JACKPOT!!!! This one has your name on it!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah, big ole mean ole meanies again.

Basically, if you are sincerely asking a question seeking information, you will get the information or advice. This doesn't mean you have to like the information or advice, and it doesn't mean you have to take the information or advice. People who think they are special snowflakes, that the laws of science and gravity don't apply to them, who reject every suggestion except for the ones they want to hear might think people are "mean". They are mistaken, however.
This discussion has been closed.