Squatting and deadlifting

Options

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Don't professional athletes do the same exercises pretty much every day though?

They do, and so do Olympic athletes, including olympic weightlifters. But they also have world-class coaches, sports physios, and nutrition coaches at their disposal.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Far as I know, you don't get strength gains from low volume.
    Re your question about a 3-day squat/bench/deadlift program, that sounds like SL or SS to me. 30-45 minutes a session, three sessions a week, means you train everything three times a week.

volume has very little to do with strength gains. the intensity of training is far more important. If you keep your frequency high, you can get away with low volume with no problem.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing overhead press.
    The accessories I'm looking for will be for my shoulders and upper back.
    I have bad posture with my shoulders hunching/rolling forward. This is why I am not doing chest exercises and want to do a lot more on my shoulders/upper back.
    I also have a really weak core, so I was hoping to do core exercises, but also strengthen it a lot by deadlifting and squatting more regularly.

If you are hunching over and rolling your back while doing deadlifts there is a chance that you are doing more bad than good. Herniated discs are NOT fun. Have you considered working with a trainer?
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I think I'm just going to do an upper/lower split, it should give me good frequency without over doing it. Thanks for the input everyone.

If you're just going for strength, you should consider Wendler's 5/3/1. His Boring But Big, Template 2 is perfect.

You have a big lift for strength, followed by it's counterpart for reps and mass.

Example:

Upper Day 1
    Bench [Strength] + Press 5x10 @ 50%

Upper Day 2
    Press [Strength] + Bench 5x10 @ 50%

Same for Squats and Deadlifts on lower days.

His program is excellent, check it out.

I was curious about the newer templates for Wendler, but I didn't really know enough about it. I assume all of the Wendler stuff is in books and I don't really have any money to be buying things at the moment. Plus, won't that template still be just three days a week? I want something more frequent really.

It's 4 days a week actually. Here's the template + my assistance work.

5/3/1 program, BBB Template 2

Day 1: Bench 5/3/1 & Press 5x10 @ 50%
    Day 3: Press 5/3/1 & Bench 5x10 @ 50%
    + Chins, Laterals, BB Incline, Curls

Day 2: Deadlift 5/3/1 & Squat 5x10 @ 50%
    Day 4: Squat 5/3/1 & SL Deadlift 5 x 10
    + DB Row/BB Row, Smith Shrugs, Calf Raises, Standing Cable Crunch

I use a variant of the DL on my Squat days because I want to continue training the DL, and also hit the posterior chain a little more directly. SL DL does this very well.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about the form with deadlifts too. OP, you really need to make sure you lock your shoulders down and back - do not let them roll forward. You need to make sure there's a straight line from your hips to your head and locking your shoulders and engaging your core will ensure you keep this form. Otherwise you're just wasting your time doing these moves.

Also, had to comment on the no money for books thing. Check your local library!! If they don't have the book you're looking for, they'll likely be able to order it from another library. Totally free!
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Seems most of the posters on this thread subscribe to what amounts to fairly modern lifting practices and seem to believe that those modern lifting practices are the only valid ones. Daily lifting was not unusual before the 1950s/1960s and, believe it or not, there were strong guys before the mid 20th century. More recently you can find lots of olympic lifting folks doing cleans (with more weight than most here are probably deadlifting) and various types of squats heavy on a near daily basis and programs like the smolov squat program are based on heavy, even high volume, daily lifting (yes, I can acknowledge that it is an advanced program).

While I can agree with jimmmer that the OP may not have the best handle on things and has the potential to mess himself up that is also a strong possibility with a more modern 2-3x per week plan. Something like Power to the People is intended to guide someone without a whole lot of experience. If the OP really wants to go the daily lifting route there are plenty of options out there for him to do so safely.

Even smolov has rest days and not 5-6 days of squatting straight. I don't think we are all opposed to lifting every day- I lift 5 days a week on average. I think the bigger issue is trying to force that type of lifting 5-6 times a week by someone who honestly doesn't seem that knowledgeable about what's going on.

I do agree with that last bit- there are lots of options that include regular not 2-3 times a week lifting- but it's either a well rounded program typically or is a peaking program.

I was going to be doing 5-6 days in a row, I'd be taking a rest day every 3 days.
  • stt43
    Options
    Seems most of the posters on this thread subscribe to what amounts to fairly modern lifting practices and seem to believe that those modern lifting practices are the only valid ones. Daily lifting was not unusual before the 1950s/1960s and, believe it or not, there were strong guys before the mid 20th century. More recently you can find lots of olympic lifting folks doing cleans (with more weight than most here are probably deadlifting) and various types of squats heavy on a near daily basis and programs like the smolov squat program are based on heavy, even high volume, daily lifting (yes, I can acknowledge that it is an advanced program).

While I can agree with jimmmer that the OP may not have the best handle on things and has the potential to mess himself up that is also a strong possibility with a more modern 2-3x per week plan. Something like Power to the People is intended to guide someone without a whole lot of experience. If the OP really wants to go the daily lifting route there are plenty of options out there for him to do so safely.

This is what I'd heard, but I wasn't sure what the programs were or where to find them.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I think I'm just going to do an upper/lower split, it should give me good frequency without over doing it. Thanks for the input everyone.

If you're just going for strength, you should consider Wendler's 5/3/1. His Boring But Big, Template 2 is perfect.

You have a big lift for strength, followed by it's counterpart for reps and mass.

Example:

Upper Day 1

Upper Day 2

I was curious about the newer templates for Wendler, but I didn't really know enough about it. I assume all of the Wendler stuff is in books and I don't really have any money to be buying things at the moment. Plus, won't that template still be just three days a week? I want something more frequent really.

I use a variant of the DL on my Squat days because I want to continue training the DL, and also hit the posterior chain a little more directly. SL DL does this very well.

Sorry to hijack OP's thread, but here's a quick question. I'm doing wendlers too (love it) and have been toying with the idea of doing it 6 days instead of 4 (doesn't say anything about it in the book) - what's your thoughts? Thanks.
  • stt43
    Options
    Far as I know, you don't get strength gains from low volume.
    Re your question about a 3-day squat/bench/deadlift program, that sounds like SL or SS to me. 30-45 minutes a session, three sessions a week, means you train everything three times a week.

volume has very little to do with strength gains. the intensity of training is far more important. If you keep your frequency high, you can get away with low volume with no problem.

Yeah, higher frequency and lower volume are what I'm looking for really.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hijack OP's thread, but here's a quick question. I'm doing wendlers too (love it) and have been toying with the idea of doing it 6 days instead of 4 (doesn't say anything about it in the book) - what's your thoughts? Thanks.

How would you do it 6 times per week?
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options

I'm going to disagree on your comment on volume and strength gains. While western programs tend towards lower volume and higher intensity ones from the east (e.g., Sheiko) tend more towards volume and "moderate" intensity. Both methods have produced world champions. Higher volume is going to tend to bring about neural improvements more quickly than low volume.
  • stt43
    Options
    I'll be doing overhead press.
    The accessories I'm looking for will be for my shoulders and upper back.
    I have bad posture with my shoulders hunching/rolling forward. This is why I am not doing chest exercises and want to do a lot more on my shoulders/upper back.
    I also have a really weak core, so I was hoping to do core exercises, but also strengthen it a lot by deadlifting and squatting more regularly.

If you are hunching over and rolling your back while doing deadlifts there is a chance that you are doing more bad than good. Herniated discs are NOT fun. Have you considered working with a trainer?

No, I'm not hunching over and rolling my back when I deadlift.
  • michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Example:

Upper Day 1

Upper Day 2

NO!! :)

Use the extra 2 to 3 days for conditioning work and stretching/foam rolling. Wendler wants you to do hill sprints but any kind of HIIT should do.

Google programming as it relates to strength training.
  • stt43
    Options
    I was wondering about the form with deadlifts too. OP, you really need to make sure you lock your shoulders down and back - do not let them roll forward. You need to make sure there's a straight line from your hips to your head and locking your shoulders and engaging your core will ensure you keep this form. Otherwise you're just wasting your time doing these moves.

Also, had to comment on the no money for books thing. Check your local library!! If they don't have the book you're looking for, they'll likely be able to order it from another library. Totally free!

Yeah, I think my form is fine, my back is straight and everything, but thanks.
    I may see what's in the university library.
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

This is what I'd heard, but I wasn't sure what the programs were or where to find them.
    Mehdi from Stronglifts has mentioned that he's been doing a squat everyday program by Matt Perryman for a while. I'm not a part of his "inner circle", but I'd imagine the info on that program is out there if you want to look for it.
  • 3laine75
    Options

How would you do it 6 times per week?

Wk1
    OHP
    Deads
    Bench
    Squat
    OHP
    Deads

Day off

Wk2
    Bench
    Squat
    OHP
    Deads
    Bench
    Squats

Adding the weight/reps from the next week, if you know what I mean?
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    OP, PM me. If I can find my copy of Power to the People I would be happy to send it to you. Even if you don't use the program there is a lot of good info in the book. Note that you really should give any plan you try at least a few months.
  • michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Mehdi from Stronglifts has mentioned that he's been doing a squat everyday program by Matt Perryman for a while. I'm not a part of his "inner circle", but I'd imagine the info on that program is out there if you want to look for it.

Yes, but is someone is advanced enough to want to do that they probably don't need to ask if it's ok. Most beginners should be able to run these programs as is for some years.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    Ty michail - I'm a noted cardio dodger :/
  • stt43
    Options
    OP, PM me. If I can find my copy of Power to the People I would be happy to send it to you. Even if you don't use the program there is a lot of good info in the book. Note that you really should give any plan you try at least a few months.

Thank you, that's very kind of you, but I think I've found a copy of it online. It will be a while before I am able to read through it, so I won't be trying anything like it for a while at least.