Need serious help with SUGAR!!!!

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Today's "Biggest Load of Crap Award" goes to:

Sugar is absolutely an addiction. Hence the obesity epidemic in America.

Scientific proof: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/10/15/college-study-finds-oreo-cookies-are-as-addictive-as-drugs/

^^Try reading the *actual* study next time, instead of media sensationalism *about* the study. :wink:

clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Actually, now, looking at the list of courses, none of them seem to be about research in any capacity. Maybe epidemiology, sort of, but not really. None of them have anything to do with clinical research, publication, interpretation of results, etc. They're all simply didactic courses about learning facts, not learning anything about the actual process of science.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options

Scientific proof: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/10/15/college-study-finds-oreo-cookies-are-as-addictive-as-drugs/

Can i quote something from Women's Health now as scientific proof?

One of my biggest pet peeves is the mass media horrendously misinterpreting scientific studies.

One of my other big pet peeves is people with zero science background reading the mass media articles instead of the original research and simply running with their conclusions.

Zero science background? LOL. That's really funny.

Principles and practice of radiation therapy I, II, III, & IV
    Fundamentals of radiologic physics
    Patient Care for the radiologic technologist I, II
    Medical terminology
    Foundations of radiation therapy
    Fundamentals of radiation therapy
    Radiation biology
    Radiation protection
    Radiation therapy imaging
    Mathematics for radiation therapy
    Radiation therapy clinical internship I, II, III, IV, V, & VI
    Radiation therapy operation
    Quality management
    Oncologic pathology
    Treatment planning I, II, & III
    Clinical radiation oncology I & II
    Radiation therapy physics
    Computer application in radiation therapy
    Seminar in radiation therapy
    Honors general biology
    Microbiology
    A&P I & II
    Inorganic chem
    Organic chem
    Biochemistry
    Intro to public health
    Global & multicultural health
    Epidemiology
    Infectious diseases
    Intro to nutrition
    Pathophysiology
    Pharmacology

^^^ That's a list of every SCIENCE class I've taken so far in college. So don't ever try to tell me again that I don't have a background in science. Just because I haven't finished my degree yet, doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.
    [/quote

I REALLY don't want in on this argument, lol, BUT....radiology classes, micro, pharm, unfortunately are really not too related to eating, dieting, and nutrition. In nursing school I took intro to nutrition....know what I learned? Squat! They really don't teach it. You just have to know the basics and that's about it. Plus, I've come to realize that what nutritionalists have to say is generally based on the food pyramid, and our governments idea of what a healthy diet entails. I've learned way more on MFP about diet, health, and nutrion, then from any nutritionalist. All they ever seem to say is to cut your calories more and more and more, 'til you're down to 1,200, then if you're still not losing, I have typically seen them say to cut even more. I lose better netting 1,700 than 1,200 by far. Anywho....carry on folks. ;)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Sounds like we all need to open a dictionary and look up addiction.

Well there's your problem: you're getting your information about addictions and psychology from a dictionary.

Open up a copy of the DSM V and start reading.

I have been through several psychology courses and I still agree with food addiction, gambling addiction, sex addiction, and more. Are you a psychologist? Doctor? Even if you were I still wouldn't care :). There's a difference between a physical addiction and a mental addiction. The dsm v refers to it as a disorder, but that doesn't mean that its not an addiction. Here I know, you take some photos of how my brain lights up when you put some cookies in front of me and lets see what the brain of a heroin addict looks like in the same scenario ;) lol. :)

Psychological dependence =/= physical addiction
    Behavioral disorders =/= addiction

There is no such thing as a sugar withdrawal syndrome. If there is no physical withdrawal, then there is no addiction.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Its all been said here.
    I try and stay away from highly refined carbohydrates because they are empty calories.
    It was useful for me to stop eating them totally for a lengthy amount of time just to feel in control again.
    I now have the odd bit of rubbish food but seem to genuinely prefer healthy, nutritious foods.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Today's "Biggest Load of Crap Award" goes to:

^^Try reading the *actual* study next time, instead of media sensationalism *about* the study. :wink:

clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif

right? if you go to the link she posted, it didn't even give you a link to the study.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I actually laughed for reals when I saw fox news. They also had a "scientist" ( I know he was, they called him a doctor and he was wearing a lab coat), that claimed too much protein converts to fat. That's the moment I said, "That's enough Fox news for today. "
  • jonnythan
    Options

Well there's your problem: you're getting your information about addictions and psychology from a dictionary.

I have been through several psychology courses and I still agree with food addiction, gambling addiction, sex addiction, and more. Are you a psychologist? Doctor? Even if you were I still wouldn't care :). There's a difference between a physical addiction and a mental addiction. The dsm v refers to it as a disorder, but that doesn't mean that its not an addiction. Here I know, you take some photos of how my brain lights up when you put some cookies in front of me and lets see what the brain of a heroin addict looks like in the same scenario ;) lol. :)

I guess the courses didn't really take if you're referring to the dictionary for information on psychological disorders.
  • Claremoak
    Claremoak Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I seriously know how you feel. All of the prior posts have great suggestions that help.

I am older than you and I have been working on losing for over a year now, I have lost a lot and learned a lot, including making new habits to fill the voids left by bad habits. But learning to control sugar binges is something I still struggle with.
    Everything suggested by the others works..., just not long term for me. I always "fall off the wagon" at some point. Cold turkey, finding something else to do, just not having it in my house, having low sugar substitutes, drinking water, and eating fruit... I have done or do all of that! I plan my "evening snack" so I have something that fits my daily calories and is usually a carb type sweet, even if it just a few dark chocolate chips and most of the time that works and I am in control.

For me it is not a "craving" that sets me off. It is purely the availablity of it. I don't often go looking for something just to satisfy a sudden urge for something sweet. My issue is I can go weeks without bingeing, but if my husband or grandkids want a favorite dessert and it is there I will end up eating most of it myself. I can plan all I want, but If I start with a taste I don't stop until it is gone, especially if it tastes really good, which it usually does because I love to bake(or used to!). Is it all in my head? Yes, because I am an emotional eater and have always been a sneaky snacker, I usually only binge when I am alone. But no other food makes me crazy like high flavor sweets. It may not be an addiction like alcohol or drugs or cigarettes, but it sure feels like it at times!.

Sorry this probably doesn't help you any.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Actually, now, looking at the list of courses, none of them seem to be about research in any capacity. Maybe epidemiology, sort of, but not really. None of them have anything to do with clinical research, publication, interpretation of results, etc. They're all simply didactic courses about learning facts, not learning anything about the actual process of science.

Rather than critiquing someone's course load, would it be too much to ask to actually quote the passages from the researchers that you think support your position? For what it's worth, I don't see people misrepresenting what the students that performed the study in question said, at least in their press release. For example, from the professor supervising the research:
    "This correlated well with our behavioral results and lends support to the hypothesis that high-fat/ high sugar foods can be thought of as addictive," said Schroeder.

While I agree the fox news article isn't the best source to cite to, you aren't citing to any source whatsoever. You're simply attacking the person you disagree with and their coursework.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

That's your opinion, and you're welcome to hold any opinion you like, even when actual science does not support it. Put the dictionary down and actually read the DSM V.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    <snip> Here I know, you take some photos of how my brain lights up when you put some cookies in front of me and lets see what the brain of a heroin addict looks like in the same scenario ;) lol. :)

You are confused between the differences in addiction and what is considered normal brain activity. Everyone's brain "lights up" (lol) when they experience pleasure. You have made it clear that you have never been addicted to heroin. (or anything else) If you had ever suffered an addiction, then you would never compare it binge-eating disorder, etc.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Show me someone that goes through withdrawal symptoms similar to drug or alcohol addicts and watch them be "detoxed" and then MAYBE i will consider food addiction a real thing.

Why would the symptoms have to similar or as severe? Giving up smoking does not have similar symptoms to a heroin addict giving up heroin, yet few would argue that both were addictions.

There can be physical symptoms from giving up sugar, especially if it's not replaced by other carbs. People often call it the carb flu.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents - We have entered the age of 'UNACCOUNTABILITY'. It's always someone else's fault. There's always an excuse, the food industry is making me fat, it's mcdonald's fault, oreos are just as addicting as crack, supersizing is making me fat, I have a desk job, sugar is addicting, carbs are addicting, wheat is evil, diet soda makes eat more sweets...on and on and on.

New flash - it's hard for all of us!! Get accountable for your own actions, Get tough, get serious, and for godsakes stop whining and thinking your the exception to the rule!

LOL, sorry rant over :blushing:
  • jonnythan
    Options

Rather than critiquing someone's course load, would it be too much to ask to actually quote the passages from the researchers that you think support your position? For what it's worth, I don't see people misrepresenting what the students that performed the study in question said, at least in their press release. For example, from the professor supervising the research:
    "This correlated well with our behavioral results and lends support to the hypothesis that high-fat/ high sugar foods can be thought of as addictive," said Schroeder.

While I agree the fox news article isn't the best source to cite to, you aren't citing to any source whatsoever. You're simply attacking the person you disagree with and their coursework.

The research in question supports the claim that mice appear to enjoy eating food (Oreos in this case) about as much as they enjoy being picked up and injected with heroin from a needle. That's about it. It does not suggest anything about whether "sugar is addictive" or whatever, it doesn't establish or even suggest that sugar is similar to heroin, and it absolutely is not "proof" of anything at all. The very idea that a single small study, particularly in lab mice, can constitute "proof" of anything is absurd.

Also, you will note that the commentary from the researcher is from a press release. I can promise that language was not included in the journal publication because the journal would have rejected it.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

This topic was actually discussed at length on MFP when the study came out.

They only proved that Oreos taste better than rice cakes. All media claims that I saw were based on the PR done rather than the paper. They did NOT demonstrate that Oreos were addictive, but went ahead and put it on the PR anyway. The study was a set-up from the beginning, and the PR following was intellectually dishonest.
  • BonecrusherBrews
    BonecrusherBrews Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I actually laughed for reals when I saw fox news. They also had a "scientist" ( I know he was, they called him a doctor and he was wearing a lab coat), that claimed too much protein converts to fat. That's the moment I said, "That's enough Fox news for today. "

LOL. That happens a lot to me with Fox news.
  • Gemmz2014
    Gemmz2014 Posts: 220
    Options

You are confused between the differences in addiction and what is considered normal brain activity. Everyone's brain "lights up" (lol) when they experience pleasure. You have made it clear that you have never been addicted to heroin. (or anything else) If you had ever suffered an addiction, then you would never compare it binge-eating disorder, etc.

Interesting.

If I were addicted to something else in my life, would I be able to do a comparison?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    They only proved that Oreos taste better than rice cakes.

NO WAY!!!! Shocking news flash!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Show me someone that goes through withdrawal symptoms similar to drug or alcohol addicts and watch them be "detoxed" and then MAYBE i will consider food addiction a real thing.

Why would the symptoms have to similar or as severe? Giving up smoking does not have similar symptoms to a heroin addict giving up heroin, yet few would argue that both were addictions.

Few would argue? Anyone "in the know" would agree that nicotine addiction is more severe than heroin addiction. Nicotine is the most difficult drug to quit. In fact, NIDA used to have a chart on this...