Need serious help with SUGAR!!!!

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

You are confused between the differences in addiction and what is considered normal brain activity. Everyone's brain "lights up" (lol) when they experience pleasure. You have made it clear that you have never been addicted to heroin. (or anything else) If you had ever suffered an addiction, then you would never compare it binge-eating disorder, etc.

Interesting.

If I were addicted to something else in my life, would I be able to do a comparison?

Do you have access to an EEG?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Actually, now, looking at the list of courses, none of them seem to be about research in any capacity. Maybe epidemiology, sort of, but not really. None of them have anything to do with clinical research, publication, interpretation of results, etc. They're all simply didactic courses about learning facts, not learning anything about the actual process of science.

Rather than critiquing someone's course load, would it be too much to ask to actually quote the passages from the researchers that you think support your position? For what it's worth, I don't see people misrepresenting what the students that performed the study in question said, at least in their press release. For example, from the professor supervising the research:
    "This correlated well with our behavioral results and lends support to the hypothesis that high-fat/ high sugar foods can be thought of as addictive," said Schroeder.

While I agree the fox news article isn't the best source to cite to, you aren't citing to any source whatsoever. You're simply attacking the person you disagree with and their coursework.

The research in question supports the claim that mice appear to enjoy eating food (Oreos in this case) about as much as they enjoy being picked up and injected with heroin from a needle. That's about it. It does not suggest anything about whether "sugar is addictive" or whatever, it doesn't establish or even suggest that sugar is similar to heroin, and it absolutely is not "proof" of anything at all. The very idea that a single small study, particularly in lab mice, can constitute "proof" of anything is absurd.

Also, you will note that the commentary from the researcher is from a press release. I can promise that language was not included in the journal publication because the journal would have rejected it.

OH WAIT the "research" does not appear to have been published at all. The only thing we have is a press release. No wonder Fox News didn't link to the actual publication. There isn't one.
  • fortally
    Options
    I agree that for some people sugar "addiction" is simply a habit. However - be careful with that advice. I'm hypoglycemic. The first real diet I tried a few years ago was South Beach. I followed it to the letter and cut all carbs/sugar. I was so miserable and sick, and after my first workout I went into diabetic shock. Before that I didn't know anything about hypoglycemia, so I didn't know what was happening. I also didn't know that years of sugar abuse had created a real medical condition, and that the severe sugar cravings weren't just a bad habit. They were a reaction to my body flooding itself with insulin every time I ate. It became a self-perpetuating cycle that was so out of control that my body couldn't handle the cold turkey approach.

Anyway - live and learn. My point is that years of "sugar addiction" wasn't all mental. There was a physical reason my body was craving sugar, and going cold turkey did in fact lead to "withdrawal" in the form of insulin shock. So is "sugar addiction" a REAL addiction? Maybe not. But hypoglycemia IS, and it's a nasty business that needs to be handled carefully when trying to break the sugar "addiction."
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, does it really matter? If you were stupid enough to get addicted to heroine, you're going to need to suck it up and break the addiction in order to get away from it. The same with any other addictive substance, whether it's a physical or mental addiction. Even if you are somehow addicted to junk food (which I don't necessarily buy, but assuming you are), you need to put the oreo down if it's preventing you from reaching a caloric deficit. Whether you call putting the oreo down breaking an addiction, gaining some willpower or eating in moderation, it's all the same in the end.

Honestly this is a pointless argument over semantics, which is abundantly clear by people referencing the DSM. :yawn:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, does it really matter? If you were stupid enough to get addicted to heroine, you're going to need to suck it up and break the addiction in order to get away from it. The same with any other addictive substance, whether it's a physical or mental addiction. Even if you are somehow addicted to junk food (which I don't necessarily buy, but assuming you are), you need to put the oreo down if it's preventing you from reaching a caloric deficit. Whether you call putting the oreo down breaking an addiction, gaining some willpower or eating in moderation, it's all the same in the end.

Honestly this is a pointless argument over semantics, which is abundantly clear by people referencing the DSM. :yawn:

It matters a great deal, actually. When talking about health interventions, therapies, etc., whether or not something is an addiction (or whether a substance produces a dependence) is a big deal.

I can understand how it doesn't seem important to a layperson, but this is Stuff That Matters (tm).
  • Gemmz2014
    Gemmz2014 Posts: 220
    Options

You are confused between the differences in addiction and what is considered normal brain activity. Everyone's brain "lights up" (lol) when they experience pleasure. You have made it clear that you have never been addicted to heroin. (or anything else) If you had ever suffered an addiction, then you would never compare it binge-eating disorder, etc.

Interesting.

If I were addicted to something else in my life, would I be able to do a comparison?

No, do you? Do most people? :tongue:

why?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I have battled sweets all my life. It wasn't so bad when I was in my teens and eating a bag of oreos because I was skinny!! Now I'm FAT. 5'3 and 185lbs AND almost 50! I am a sugar-aholic. I love cookies, donuts, cakes, brownies, not just one piece and walk happily away either. I have to eat it until they are done.

I am worse now than I have ever been. Being a stress eater doesn't help since my job is very stressful and there is crap to eat everywhere!!

I've tried just limiting myself to a "serving" so I get my sweets without feeling deprived but it never seems to work.

Do I quit cold turkey?? Is this to be looked at as any other addiction?

Thank you all in advance.

I wouldn't say it's an addiction as much as it's a compulsion. I found that centering my meals around proteins and veggies and trying to hit my macros has left little room for sweets, so I've tapered back by focusing on OTHER, more filling foods. Unfortunately, a 400 calorie piece of cake does not fuel you as well as a meal, such as a piece of chicken, two veggies, and a fruit does. That's been my experience, anyway.

Additionally, you need to develop mind control over the cookie/brownie/cake. Don't lose a fight with a dessert. There's a MFP'er whose tag line is, "I didn't come this far to take orders from a cookie." Lol! It's true, too. :wink:

Compulsion...yes! Also it sometimes can become an obsession. That's when counseling is a good option. Sometimes talking about your behavior with someone who won't judge you can get you to the point where you can get your head on straight and act right again.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Interesting.

why?

You wanted to compare brain activity, no? That's how ya do it. :wink:
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    <snip> Here I know, you take some photos of how my brain lights up when you put some cookies in front of me and lets see what the brain of a heroin addict looks like in the same scenario ;) lol. :)

QFT. Unless you’ve spent weeks in bed, sick from withdrawals from going cold turkey from a substance that actually causes physical symptoms when you stop consuming it, please DO NOT compare sugar with drugs. It's insulting to those of us that have overcome such addictions. Thx.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options

Interesting.

Only one way to find out! JK. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

It matters a great deal, actually. When talking about health interventions, therapies, etc., whether or not something is an addiction (or whether a substance produces a dependence) is a big deal.

I can understand how it doesn't seem important to a layperson, but this is Stuff That Matters (tm).

I completely agree! It is not pointless semantics. And the fact that the poster of the top quote would label all addicts as "stupid" is very telling.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    <snip> Here I know, you take some photos of how my brain lights up when you put some cookies in front of me and lets see what the brain of a heroin addict looks like in the same scenario ;) lol. :)

QFT. Unless you’ve spent weeks in bed, sick from withdrawals from going cold turkey from a substance that actually causes physical symptoms when you stop consuming it, please DO NOT compare sugar with drugs. It's insulting to those of us that have overcome such addictions. Thx.

jennifer-lawrence-oscars-gif-2(1).gif
  • prt64
    prt64 Posts: 2
    Options
    Gosh, I used to be a smoker for over 25 years! I quit that and then got addicted to carbs....I love to bake and I love good bread....and all the other no-nos.
    I really relate to your cravings because I do well for a few days then gorge on anything sweet I see lying around....yesterday I ate 6 chocolate truffles...seriously!!!!! But I've limited my total carb intake to around 30-40 per day and that excludes all bad carbs....I agree cold turkey is the only way to break this habit. And this habit is harder to quit than smoking!!!!! At least for me....
  • Mr_Clean
    Mr_Clean Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Is this one not valid as well?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

I do not claim to have any scientific background, just curious...
  • Gemmz2014
    Gemmz2014 Posts: 220
    Options

Interesting.

why?

You wanted to compare brain activity, no? That's how ya do it. :wink:

I see. Well there goes that idea! :smile:

I don't know if my problem is an addiction but I can tell you, I have been addicted to certain things in my life and I know for a fact that if one of them was in front of me now, I would really have the urge to do it.

Do I have the urge to eat sugar? Yes, in certain situations though. Work.. always. Home... not so much.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Given that it's a discussion on MFP forums involving research by some students on rats, I'd say we disagree that this is important or Stuff that Matters (tm).

As for whether sugar is "addicting" and whether that's important, I've always been of the school of thought that you're accountable for yourself and blaming your behavior on an addiction (especially a mental addiction) is no excuse. Therapy, interventions... I dunno, I personally have a hard time thinking highly of that area of science. There are some legit issues, but for the most part I tend to think most people just need to suck it up and own their problems. You can have a "sugar intervention" or put someone in therapy for their sugar eating disorder, but they honestly won't make a change until they want to change. I know people that have been through countless hours of pointless therapy for mental illness and addiction with no change, while I've seen others kick physical addictions like smoking on their own, seemingly overnight.

At the end of the day, even if sugar is in some ways addictive for some people, the solution at the end of the day is still for those people to find a way to deal with it that achieves a caloric deficit.
  • Ries2013
    Options

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S22/88/56G31/index.xml?section=topstories

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12055324

Repeated, excessive intake of sugar created a state in which an opioid antagonist caused behavioral and neurochemical signs of opioid withdrawal. The indices of anxiety and DA/ACh imbalance were qualitatively similar to withdrawal from morphine or nicotine, suggesting that the rats had become sugar-dependent.
  • katempadilla
    katempadilla Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A few things:

1: You're not alone. While it's not necessarily an addition, our body responds to excess amounts of sugar in the same way that it response to drugs (such as cocaine). There are so many people out there who struggle with this, including me at one point.

2. Know your poison. Read up on how sugar affects your metabolism/body/lifestyle. If you understand how something affects you, you're more likely to avoid things that are bad and stick with things that are good. If you want to lose weight, and you want to be healthier, set a goal and stick to it. Keep that goal in mind, along with the information you learn, to stay on track. [I recommend Salt, Sugar, Fat, by Michael Moss]

3. Don't necessarily quit cold turkey. By that I mean, don't go from all sugar to no sugar in a day. Some things you should quit immediately--soda being one, if that's your thing--because the sugar is least of your worries there. If you put sugar in your coffee or tea, switch to Stevia or monkfruit instead, they're natural sugar alternatives. Then try to eliminate one sugar-thing from your diet each week. If you have a cupcake in the afternoon, switch it out for a piece of fruit and some cheese or almonds. You still get the sweetness from the fruit, but the protein from the cheese or almonds will keep you satisfied longer, so you won't necessarily run for the candy on your way out the door.

Let me know if this helps. I would totally be willing to help you more, if you'd like. I love researching nutrition and exercise.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

I see. Well there goes that idea! :smile:

I don't know if my problem is an addiction but I can tell you, I have been addicted to certain things in my life and I know for a fact that if one of them was in front of me now, I would really have the urge to do it.

Do I have the urge to eat sugar? Yes, in certain situations though. Work.. always. Home... not so much.

You're confusing addiction/dependence with desire for something pleasurable and an absence of self control.

And, for those who have actually had a real dependence/addiction or dealt with those who have done so, yes, it is wholly insulting.

But, please, feel free to point out what other bad habits you have the removal of which would cause physical and psychological withdrawal symptoms severe enough that psychiatric medications need to be administered to prevent death during detox from it.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

The problem is that people can use it as an excuse.

"I have an addiction."
    "I was diagnosed with obesity."

It takes away personal responsibility.