OMG Everything I know is wrong!

Options

Replies

• Youretheoneformefatty100
    Options
    I don't get this logic....

Try telling this to the people starving in Ethiopia - They sure as hell are losing weight by not eating... it's the basic law of calories in and calories out.

I don't deny that you need to eat more to sustain your activity, but not eating enough is not why you are not losing weight. Are you sure you haven't just mis-calculated your new smaller body's TDEE in the past?

I am not being rude here, just trying to get my head around it
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really make sense for her to say you can't lose weight because you aren't eating enough calories. If you aren't eating enough calories you should be having trouble with losing too much weight, including lean muscle. You should weigh everything you eat and calculate how many calories you need using your TDEE, and then eat below that to lose weight. If you aren't losing weight it's because you are calculating your intake incorrectly and not eating at a deficit.

This. Quoted for truth.

It does make sense...if you do not fuel your body properly it will hold on to EVERYTHING it has. It's like a car, the farther you go the more gas it needs. Simple.
    Except when your car runs out of gas, it stops running. It doesn't hold on to some gas because it's going to run out. your body CAN NOT hold on to stored fat if you are not eating enough to provide it fuel to convert to energy, it has to break some part of your body down for that. If it isn't fat, it's muscle that gets broken down and used.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really make sense for her to say you can't lose weight because you aren't eating enough calories. If you aren't eating enough calories you should be having trouble with losing too much weight, including lean muscle. You should weigh everything you eat and calculate how many calories you need using your TDEE, and then eat below that to lose weight. If you aren't losing weight it's because you are calculating your intake incorrectly and not eating at a deficit.

This. Quoted for truth.

It does make sense...if you do not fuel your body properly it will hold on to EVERYTHING it has. It's like a car, the farther you go the more gas it needs. Simple.

Thank you. This is exactly what she said. I eat more than the 1300 I was consuming plus some exercise calories and I would put on weight! She has me slowing increasing my calories so my body adjusts. She will still keep me at a deficit to help me lose but she wants me more at 2100. I am 5'9 I run at least 25 miles a week plus cross training and lifting and weigh 187 pounds.

regardless of the 'starvation mode argument', which everyone on both sides is going to get wrong anyway...

2100 cals/day for a woman of your height and age who runs 25 miles a week is a totally reasonable and sane goal.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    If you are freaking out about the number of calories her Nut told her, try looking at a real athlete, Lolo Jones. She won in track and field and is now on the bobsled team in the upcoming olympics. I saw an interview and she said she was eating 9000 calories a day.

I can't imagine trying to eat that much, but you know she wasn't eating junk either. Her body is solid muscle. Lolo's story blew me away!!

something tells me that OP does not have the caloric requirement of an Olympic athlete...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    regardless of the 'starvation mode argument', which everyone on both sides is going to get wrong anyway...

2100 cals/day for a woman of your height and age who runs 25 miles a week is a totally reasonable and sane goal.
    ^Agreed.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yah there is something off...

1. You are not weighing your food. I looked at your diay and you have 1 tortilla, 1 patty, 1 stalk, 1cup of this, 1 small apple etc.

You are eating more than you think...bottom line.

And to top it all off....

2. On Monday Your have 85mins of running at 819 calories...HRM with chest strap? if not...I am dubious because another day it was 83 mins a 1091 calories...
    group powerlift 60mins 385 calories burned????
    Zumba with HRM 60mins 628...
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I think its great you got professional advice. I agree with it completely. I hope you post again down the road with results of how increasing calories worked out for you. By the way, great progress. Very impressive. Take away all her exercise calories off 2100. That puts her at a very reasonable deficit. Eat back the exercise calories and she is still at the same deficit. Much healthier overall to fuel those workouts.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - lets try this one more time..

I am just curious and really want to help...

how many calories are you eating right now?

current height/weight?

do you own food scale?

weigh/log/measure everything?

I just think that going up to 3150 a day is not going to get you the results you want..
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right, I've been stuck for about 5/6 months and realized that I too need to up my calories and my workouts...BAM! it worked, started to lose again. Now I wouldn't got to 3000 + but up it a little.
  • bubbaduts
    bubbaduts Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Try telling this to the people starving in Ethiopia - They sure as hell are losing weight by not eating... it's the basic law of calories in and calories out.

I don't deny that you need to eat more to sustain your activity, but not eating enough is not why you are not losing weight. Are you sure you haven't just mis-calculated your new smaller body's TDEE in the past?

trust me I am trying to get my head around it too. but she showed me hard proof that her approach has worked for other runners with the same issue as me. She's sending me to follow up with the head of sports nutrition next month to work on a plan for once my body is used to the higher calories. I merely posted this for people who are as frustrated as me with low energy levels and other "issues" going on. I seriously thought I had a thyroid issue.
  • ndj1979
    Options

This. Quoted for truth.

Thank you. This is exactly what she said. I eat more than the 1300 I was consuming plus some exercise calories and I would put on weight! She has me slowing increasing my calories so my body adjusts. She will still keep me at a deficit to help me lose but she wants me more at 2100. I am 5'9 I run at least 25 miles a week plus cross training and lifting and weigh 187 pounds.

OK - except that is wrong. Your body does not hold on to fat, muscle, etc, it works in the opposite way when you are in an extremely low caloric deficit it will turn to fat, muscle, etc to use as energy. You will lose weight, but you will not look how you want to look - think starving people in Africa or concentration camp photos...extreme examples but these people had severely restricted calorie diets and lost fat, muscle, and probably organ tissue...
  • Youretheoneformefatty100
    Options
    whatever works for you is the way to go! :smile:
  • ndj1979
    Options

trust me I am trying to get my head around it too. but she showed me hard proof that her approach has worked for other runners with the same issue as me. She's sending me to follow up with the head of sports nutrition next month to work on a plan for once my body is used to the higher calories. I merely posted this for people who are as frustrated as me with low energy levels and other "issues" going on. I seriously thought I had a thyroid issue.

in that case, get a second opinion...

Just trying to prevent a "help, I gained four pounds in two months" thread...
  • bubbaduts
    Options

1. You are not weighing your food. I looked at your diay and you have 1 tortilla, 1 patty, 1 stalk, 1cup of this, 1 small apple etc.

2. On Monday Your have 85mins of running at 819 calories...HRM with chest strap? if not...I am dubious because another day it was 83 mins a 1091 calories...

I always wear a HRM monitor. I have been on here for 3 years, I have tried every approach weighing everything etc. But i'm glad your degree in sports nutrition has made you an expert......
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    OP - lets try this one more time..

I am just curious and really want to help...

how many calories are you eating right now?

current height/weight?

do you own food scale?

weigh/log/measure everything?

I just think that going up to 3150 a day is not going to get you the results you want..

I help you out...

She is 29 weights 187 (I think that's what she said), and is 5 ft 9 eats 1500 a day + exercise calories
    She does not weigh her food she said it didn't work so have to assume she owns a food scale
    And Runs 25miles a week (per her statement)
    trust me i've tried every "low calorie" way to lose weight in the past including weighing all my food. It doesn't work because it's not enough food.
  • bubbaduts
    Options

in that case, get a second opinion...

Just trying to prevent a "help, I gained four pounds in two months" thread...

Like I said she is sending me to the head sports nutritionist next month. and told me not to weigh myself for a month. She is bring me up to 2100 in the next 6 weeks slowly so I don't have a major weight gain. It's called a slowed metabolism. Again I posted this to help others in the same position I am in.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I always wear a HRM monitor. I have been on here for 3 years, I have tried every approach weighing everything etc. But i'm glad your degree in sports nutrition has made you an expert......

HRM with chest strap....not a wrist one...

As for your snark fine do what you want, listen to what you want and when this doesn't work please feel free to come back and ask again and you will get the same advice...weight your food, be careful with calorie burns

If you are not losing weight than this is the fact you are taking in more calories than you think and you are not in a deficet sounds like maintenane to me.

As for the degree...you know what they call a person who graduated dead last for grades out of Medical school...Doctor...Degrees mean nothing if you can't apply the knowledge with some common sense.

3100 calories my butt...that is my husbands maintenance calories and he is 30 and is a lot more active than you.

ETA; Scooby has you at 2277 for TDEE-20% with activity being 5-6hours of strenous activity....
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    Wow..that's a big jump! But I know how you are feeling..I had given up when I hit that same problem in the past.

For the last four months I kept gaining and losing the same five pounds...I figured out the problem was around that time MFP wanted to lower my cals because I had lost so much...well..I allowed it...and next thing I know no more weight loss..I was flipping out for months wondering what I was doing wrong. I started to notice when I had a few non-planned splurge days I'd have a several pound loss within a couple days...and I decided to put my cals back to where I was. I started that last week and have lost 4 lbs.!!!!! Sometimes your body needs more than what MFP tells you.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    1234437_10151712293653634_815454355_n.jpg
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My brother is a marathon runner and it is typical for runners to gain weight. I am not a nutritionist - just sharing what I know. With the amount of running you are doing your exposing your body to internal oxidative stress which triggers your cortisol levels to go up. Check out this video. http://on.aol.com/video/how-to-balance-cortisol-levels-326754334
    Hope it helps!
    Hugs!