OMG Everything I know is wrong!

Options

Replies

• bubbaduts
    bubbaduts Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My brother is a marathon runner and it is typical for runners to gain weight. I am not a nutritionist - just sharing what I know. With the amount of running you are doing your exposing your body to internal oxidative stress which triggers your cortisol levels to go up. Check out this video. http://on.aol.com/video/how-to-balance-cortisol-levels-326754334
    Hope it helps!
    Hugs!

This is very true. OP: Did your doctor test your hormone levels?

Yes and my Thyroid all perfect.

You must be overeating or your HRM isn't working properly anymore and is overestimating calories burned when you exercise because if you don't have anything going on hormonally, then there's no reason why you aren't losing weight.

I certainly don't think increasing calories to 3100 is the right answer. That sounds kind of silly to me.

I'd recommend seeing a dietician instead of a nutritionist for a second opinion before you start eating 3100 calories and end up with a bigger problem and more unhappy.
    FYI my "Nutritionist" is also a registered "Dietician". and my maintenance would be so high because of my activity level. Remember I run marathons and lift and cross train. I don't sit on a couch all day and eat pasta.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    trust me i've tried every "low calorie" way to lose weight in the past including weighing all my food. It doesn't work because it's not enough food. I'm sorry but as much as I appreciate your advice I think I will listen to the person who has a degree based around this since doing the low calorie thing isn't working.

Ask this nutritionist to explain simple physics -- how does your body create energy from nothing?

unicorn tears and pony farts.

duh.

I'm 5'8" and 165 (ish).. I eat roughly 2000-2500 a day... that high days of 25-2700 include my work out days of heavy lfiting and several hrs of dance. I'm BULKING trying to put on weight and doing so slowly- very slowly.

At 3000+ there is just no way...you are going to lose weight. nope nope nope nope nope nope.
    Just to clarify, the nutritionist told her 3100 is maintenance and suggested cutting at 2100.

I'm reasonably sure I've seen posts from men over 6' tall who are bulking to gain muscle who are eating at 3000 calories. OP is only an inch taller than me and 57 lbs heavier, my maintenance is 1660. How on earth could hers be over 3000?
    Not sure. I'm 5'8" and weigh slightly more than the OP (202 as of this morning), and I lose on 1950. Except I've been eating more like 2100ish lately because I can't get my **** together. And still losing.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Because a car is a man made object. Your body isn't. Of course the car will run out of gas. Your body on the other hand, will attempt it's best shot at holding on to the fat you've got and use the food coming in as energy. When the food gets to be scarce (such a for children in Etheopia, I believe is an example someone used) then the body MUST resort to breaking down the fat cells and muscle cells it has on hand. But if the body is continually getting a source of nurioushment in then it's going to use that first, b/c it's easiest to get to.

And you will gain/maintain/lose weight based on the amount of nourishment your body is getting. If it's too little - bye-bye mass, if it's too much - hello mass.

OPs diary isn't open, so we can only go by what she says.

:drinker:

Perhaps not ironically, you and I made almost the exact same point about the "car and its fuel" post... lol.

Sometimes this forum defies all logic.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Personally, I went 6-8 weeks of no weight loss on a low cal diet (around 1300 cals). Weighed/measured everything and still did not lose. I upped my cals to 1600 and started losing again. (I do 40% carbs/30% protein/30% fat)

just like to point out there is a significant difference in adding one small meal/snack to your day- eating double what you are consuming now.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    FYI my "Nutritionist" is also a registered "Dietician". and my maintenance would be so high because of my activity level. Remember I run marathons and lift and cross train. I don't sit on a couch all day and eat pasta.

Because no one else here does any of those things ...
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    My brother is a marathon runner and it is typical for runners to gain weight. I am not a nutritionist - just sharing what I know. With the amount of running you are doing your exposing your body to internal oxidative stress which triggers your cortisol levels to go up. Check out this video. http://on.aol.com/video/how-to-balance-cortisol-levels-326754334
    Hope it helps!
    Hugs!

You must be overeating or your HRM isn't working properly anymore and is overestimating calories burned when you exercise because if you don't have anything going on hormonally, then there's no reason why you aren't losing weight.

I certainly don't think increasing calories to 3100 is the right answer. That sounds kind of silly to me.

I'd recommend seeing a dietician instead of a nutritionist for a second opinion before you start eating 3100 calories and end up with a bigger problem and more unhappy.

Well you must be eating something because you aren't losing weight.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hope it helps!
    Hugs!

You should have said he/she is a registered dietician then. A nutritionist and a registered dietician are two different things that require different much education. Dietician's are typically more knowledgable. Pretty much anyone can be a nutritionist.

If you truly are as active as you say you are, then I don't think 2100 is unreasonable to lose.

Try it out, see how it goes. Hopefully it will give you the results you are looking for.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Anyone who eats 1300 and runs marathons will either lose weight, or won't be able to run the marathon.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

And I love how the facts keep changing...from 3100 to 2100 over the next 6 weeks...from sports nutionist to registered dietician...from having an open diary to closed because flaws were pointed out...

I am just in now for the :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: , unicorn and cat gifs cause that is where this is headed..and more snark I suspect.

*gets popcorn*
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for over 3 years and initially lost 77 pounds FAST! But I have been stuck for 2 years of gaining and losing the same 10-15! I thought I had a health issue so I saw my Dr. she ran every test in the book and said I was healthy but decided to send me to a nutritionist because of my symptoms. I met with the sports nutritionist and man oh man was I wrong about what I thought my body needed! She looked at my MFP food and exercise diaries and then told me I was eating the calories of a 90 year old grandma and no wonder I can't lose weight. With the running Mileage I do a week alone I should be eating 3100 calories a day and 75 percent carbs! Not to mention the other exercise! I was floored I am still having a hard time believing her but an 8 year degree in sports nutrition can't be wrong. She explained that I am no longer the 270+ pound girl that started, I am a marathon runner and an athlete now and if i dont eat like one my body will fight back. I will be using MFP to help me up my calories and get my carbs in but I think I am finally ready to transition to the athlete I am! I just wanted to post this just in case there is anyone else that is facing the same problem of not losing.

It doesn't really make sense for her to say you can't lose weight because you aren't eating enough calories. If you aren't eating enough calories you should be having trouble with losing too much weight, including lean muscle. You should weigh everything you eat and calculate how many calories you need using your TDEE, and then eat below that to lose weight. If you aren't losing weight it's because you are calculating your intake incorrectly and not eating at a deficit.

trust me i've tried every "low calorie" way to lose weight in the past including weighing all my food. It doesn't work because it's not enough food. I'm sorry but as much as I appreciate your advice I think I will listen to the person who has a degree based around this since doing the low calorie thing isn't working.

Exactly! lol
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Anyone who eats 1300 and runs marathons will either lose weight, or won't be able to run the marathon.

+1 x 10000000000000000000000000000
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options

It was open, I checked it and her exerise diary...she doesn't weigh her food and her burns..some of them I mentioned in my first ost.

I'm late to the party, as usual :tongue:

I missed that. I'm also still confused about the problem she's having, since the information seems slightly conflicting. OP says she's consuming 3100 calories to maintain (with her current level of activity). Seems marginally reasonable if her mileage is pretty high. But then why on earth would her nutritionist recommend as low as 2100 to lose weight?

If anything, with mileage that high, eating at a smaller deficit is much more logical.
  • bubbaduts
    bubbaduts Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hope it helps!
    Hugs!

Again thank you for your concern but now I am starting to feel like you and a few others are harassing and attacking for the sport of it which is so MFP forums and I should know better than to engage. I am sorry that you feel the need to point out that you think I am doing something wrong. This is why I sought professional help because I thought I was doing something wrong. I don't need a random stranger harassing me through the internet. I closed my diary after leaving it open for 3 years because i felt harassed by one of the other posters. No one here that is offering their opinion in the way you and a few others are is trying to help, it seems to me that you are more bored than anything and like attacking others on the internet and pointing out their shortcomings because you arent ok with yourself.
  • mccindy72
    Options

And I love how the facts keep changing...from 3100 to 2100 over the next 6 weeks...from sports nutionist to registered dietician...from having an open diary to closed because flaws were pointed out...

I am just in now for the :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: , unicorn and cat gifs cause that is where this is headed..and more snark I suspect.

*gets popcorn*

JLaw gifs please? I have my drink all at the ready.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really make sense for her to say you can't lose weight because you aren't eating enough calories. If you aren't eating enough calories you should be having trouble with losing too much weight, including lean muscle. You should weigh everything you eat and calculate how many calories you need using your TDEE, and then eat below that to lose weight. If you aren't losing weight it's because you are calculating your intake incorrectly and not eating at a deficit.

This. Quoted for truth.

It does make sense...if you do not fuel your body properly it will hold on to EVERYTHING it has. It's like a car, the farther you go the more gas it needs. Simple.
    Except when your car runs out of gas, it stops running. It doesn't hold on to some gas because it's going to run out. your body CAN NOT hold on to stored fat if you are not eating enough to provide it fuel to convert to energy, it has to break some part of your body down for that. If it isn't fat, it's muscle that gets broken down and used.

Because a car is a man made object. Your body isn't. Of course the car will run out of gas. Your body on the other hand, will attempt it's best shot at holding on to the fat you've got and use the food coming in as energy. When the food gets to be scarce (such a for children in Etheopia, I believe is an example someone used) then the body MUST resort to breaking down the fat cells and muscle cells it has on hand. But if the body is continually getting a source of nurioushment in then it's going to use that first, b/c it's easiest to get to.

And yet even with a reduced metabolism, at the still high body weight this woman is, with the relatively low caloric input she's claiming is her norm, she'd still be losing.

Slowed metabolism =/= No Metabolism
    No metabolism = Death

People starving, whether in Africa, the Americas, Asia, or orbiting the world, all have slowed down metabolisms, but the human body, even in times of starvation, never slows down to the point where basic energy needs are not met.

If a "successful" anorexic can can be dangerously underweight, and STILL lose weight through daily restriction and exercise, but this almost 200 lbs person apparently can't, despite eating so little, and apparently burning huge amounts of calories in her work outs, something is wrong.

And what's even more dangerous for the OP is that, since she in all likelihood is eating FAR more calories than she thinks now, how much worse will it be when she's logging twice as much? She could be getting comfortable one day at eating 3,100 calories of poorly measured, unweighted food, and easily be consuming over 4,000 calories.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options

*gets popcorn*

@SezxyStef: Not to change the subject, but you're rocking that black dress! :)
  • leaner426
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss. Since the dietician is easing your calories up and monitoring your progress if it doesn't work for some reason you can always reverse course. I say go with the plan and see what happens.

If this plan does not work and you are still stumped consider going to an endocrinologist to get checked for autoimmune hypothyroidism. I assume your doctor checked you for hypothyroidism. What most people don't know is that the standard test run by doctors does not accurately predict autoimmune hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's Syndrome). If you want an explanation why the standard test doesn't work, it's because it measures the levels of a hormone, T4, produced by your thyroid. Your cells absorb the T4 and convert it to T3 which it then converts to energy. If you have autoimmune based hypothyroidism your immune system attacks the T4 before your body can convert it to T3 (and then to energy.) The test I was given took an hour and measured the change in levels once the thyroid was stimulated. Prior to my diagnosis, I'd been tested twice using the regular method over the course of 6 years without anything being diagnosed. I now take T4 and T3 and it makes a big difference in my energy and ability to lose weight. Stress can trigger autoimmune diseases - if you've been operating on a deficit it's possible you've triggered something like this.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Again thank you for your concern but now I am starting to feel like you and a few others are harassing and attacking for the sport of it which is so MFP forums and I should know better than to engage. I am sorry that you feel the need to point out that you think I am doing something wrong. This is why I sought professional help because I thought I was doing something wrong. I don't need a random stranger harassing me through the internet. I closed my diary after leaving it open for 3 years because i felt harassed by one of the other posters. No one here that is offering their opinion in the way you and a few others are is trying to help, it seems to me that you are more bored than anything and like attacking others on the internet and pointing out their shortcomings because you arent ok with yourself.
    Perhaps if you hadn't posted several obvious but subtle insults people would be nicer to you.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Hope it helps!
    Hugs!

I'm pretty darned happy with myself, personally. I like the way I look and who I am. I'm posting the things I am because you posted your original as a way to help people, and it's not going to. Eating more is not going to help anyone lose weight. Carefuly calculating TDEE, deficit needed to lose weight below TDEE, and carefully weighing and measuring all eaten calories, while accurately tracking calories burned will do that. We are all trying to make sure that people who read these forums understand the science behind losing weight, and how careful you have to be to do that. The other poster looked at your diary to establish the accuracy of your claims, and you closed it after she pointed out that you were inaccurate.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    imagesCAV9A3TS_zps07bdc8f3.jpg

as do so many here eating 1500 and not losing....

*breaks the ice for the gifs.