OMG Everything I know is wrong!

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really make sense for her to say you can't lose weight because you aren't eating enough calories. If you aren't eating enough calories you should be having trouble with losing too much weight, including lean muscle. You should weigh everything you eat and calculate how many calories you need using your TDEE, and then eat below that to lose weight. If you aren't losing weight it's because you are calculating your intake incorrectly and not eating at a deficit.

This. Quoted for truth.

It does make sense...if you do not fuel your body properly it will hold on to EVERYTHING it has. It's like a car, the farther you go the more gas it needs. Simple.

Thank you. This is exactly what she said. I eat more than the 1300 I was consuming plus some exercise calories and I would put on weight! She has me slowing increasing my calories so my body adjusts. She will still keep me at a deficit to help me lose but she wants me more at 2100. I am 5'9 I run at least 25 miles a week plus cross training and lifting and weigh 187 pounds.

Unless you have a rare medical problem, there is no way that a 187 lbs person, running 25 miles a week, PLUS cross training, plus your overall basic caloric expenditure, isn't losing weight on 1300 calories a day.

It's not possible.

If it were the world's starvation problem would not exist.

more cavalry arrives... wish they would just listen....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    As an aside, I have seen plenty of "nutritionists" that give horrible advice...

Exactly and based on anything I read to become a "Certified Sports Nutrionist" doesn't take 8 years...

You "should" have an undergraduate degree from a college but it doesn't have to be in sports medicine, or kinesiolgy...it can be in liberal arts...even then if you have worked as a personal trainer for 4 years you can write the 220 T/F question exam and get 75% and pass...

Yah I'm gonna listen to a liberal arts grad who manaaged 75% on a 220 question exam...../sarcasm
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Don't let people get you down OP. Enjoy your bulk.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    HOLY HECK this was not meant to start an argument it was meant as a hey if you aren't losing maybe you should go see a nutritionist and get a plan put together for you and see where it goes from there. I appreciate everyone's concern but like I've said this was put together during an hour long consult and I didn't lie to her about my habits or eating or working out because that is just counter productive. I personally don't want to weigh my food or count my calories for the rest of my life and would love to learn to eat for my body and this was me taking a step to do just that. Good luck to all those out there that don't agree with seeking real professional help I hope you are able to lose and keep it off for the rest of your life.
    If I ate 3,100 calories a day, I would have to train eight hours a day to just maintain.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Because a car is a man made object. Your body isn't. Of course the car will run out of gas. Your body on the other hand, will attempt it's best shot at holding on to the fat you've got and use the food coming in as energy. When the food gets to be scarce (such a for children in Etheopia, I believe is an example someone used) then the body MUST resort to breaking down the fat cells and muscle cells it has on hand. But if the body is continually getting a source of nurioushment in then it's going to use that first, b/c it's easiest to get to.

And you will gain/maintain/lose weight based on the amount of nourishment your body is getting. If it's too little - bye-bye mass, if it's too much - hello mass.

OPs diary isn't open, so we can only go by what she says.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    trust me i've tried every "low calorie" way to lose weight in the past including weighing all my food. It doesn't work because it's not enough food. I'm sorry but as much as I appreciate your advice I think I will listen to the person who has a degree based around this since doing the low calorie thing isn't working.

Ask this nutritionist to explain simple physics -- how does your body create energy from nothing?

unicorn tears and pony farts.

duh.

I'm 5'8" and 165 (ish).. I eat roughly 2000-2500 a day... that high days of 25-2700 include my work out days of heavy lfiting and several hrs of dance. I'm BULKING trying to put on weight and doing so slowly- very slowly.

At 3000+ there is just no way...you are going to lose weight. nope nope nope nope nope nope.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    trust me i've tried every "low calorie" way to lose weight in the past including weighing all my food. It doesn't work because it's not enough food. I'm sorry but as much as I appreciate your advice I think I will listen to the person who has a degree based around this since doing the low calorie thing isn't working.

Ask this nutritionist to explain simple physics -- how does your body create energy from nothing?

duh.

I'm 5'8" and 165 (ish).. I eat roughly 2000-2500 a day... that high days of 25-2700 include my work out days of heavy lfiting and several hrs of dance. I'm BULKING trying to put on weight and doing so slowly- very slowly.

At 3000+ there is just no way...you are going to lose weight. nope nope nope nope nope nope.
    Just to clarify, the nutritionist told her 3100 is maintenance and suggested cutting at 2100.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Exactly and based on anything I read to become a "Certified Sports Nutrionist" doesn't take 8 years...

You "should" have an undergraduate degree from a college but it doesn't have to be in sports medicine, or kinesiolgy...it can be in liberal arts...even then if you have worked as a personal trainer for 4 years you can write the 220 T/F question exam and get 75% and pass...

Yah I'm gonna listen to a liberal arts grad who manaaged 75% on a 220 question exam...../sarcasm

8 years is usually required to become a registered dietician. /no sarcasm
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Because a car is a man made object. Your body isn't. Of course the car will run out of gas. Your body on the other hand, will attempt it's best shot at holding on to the fat you've got and use the food coming in as energy. When the food gets to be scarce (such a for children in Etheopia, I believe is an example someone used) then the body MUST resort to breaking down the fat cells and muscle cells it has on hand. But if the body is continually getting a source of nurioushment in then it's going to use that first, b/c it's easiest to get to.

And you will gain/maintain/lose weight based on the amount of nourishment your body is getting. If it's too little - bye-bye mass, if it's too much - hello mass.

OPs diary isn't open, so we can only go by what she says.

:drinker:
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My brother is a marathon runner and it is typical for runners to gain weight. I am not a nutritionist - just sharing what I know. With the amount of running you are doing your exposing your body to internal oxidative stress which triggers your cortisol levels to go up. Check out this video. http://on.aol.com/video/how-to-balance-cortisol-levels-326754334
    Hope it helps!
    Hugs!

This is very true. OP: Did your doctor test your hormone levels?

Yes and my Thyroid all perfect.

You must be overeating or your HRM isn't working properly anymore and is overestimating calories burned when you exercise because if you don't have anything going on hormonally, then there's no reason why you aren't losing weight.

I certainly don't think increasing calories to 3100 is the right answer. That sounds kind of silly to me.

I'd recommend seeing a dietician instead of a nutritionist for a second opinion before you start eating 3100 calories and end up with a bigger problem and more unhappy.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Just to clarify, the nutritionist told her 3100 is maintenance and suggested cutting at 2100.

My mistake. Either way, if she's not losing at 1,300 (and is honestly tracking accurately), she won't lose at 2,100.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options

OP: This is why you should see a DIETICIAN instead of a nutritionist.
  • mccindy72
    Options

duh.

I'm reasonably sure I've seen posts from men over 6' tall who are bulking to gain muscle who are eating at 3000 calories. OP is only an inch taller than me and 57 lbs heavier, my maintenance is 1660. How on earth could hers be over 3000?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

duh.

yeah- that's not maintenance. cutting at 2100 isn't going to be helpful because that's probably closer to maintenance.
  • My_Own_Worst_Enemy
    My_Own_Worst_Enemy Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    DO

YOU

EVEN

LIFT?
  • rml_16
    Options

My mistake. Either way, if she's not losing at 1,300 (and is honestly tracking accurately), she won't lose at 2,100.

But this is from the OP:
    With the running Mileage I do a week alone I should be eating 3100 calories a day and 75 percent carbs!
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    OP - I think you were given advice that makes sense to you and I am glad that you are going to follow it. Worst case, you gain a few pounds. At least then you can find out if it works or not.

Personally, I went 6-8 weeks of no weight loss on a low cal diet (around 1300 cals). Weighed/measured everything and still did not lose. I upped my cals to 1600 and started losing again. (I do 40% carbs/30% protein/30% fat)

I finally had my RMR tested and I was burning about 250 cals more a day than what the online calculators say I was.

I am now eating 1850 or so a day and still losing .5-1.25 pounds a week. I am not a marathon runner (or any runner for that matter). I weight train 3-4 days week for 60 mins each day. I walk non weight training days for around 4 miles. Weekends I usually go 8-10 miles each day.

Can you eat more to lose? Heck yeah and I am happier for it!

Enjoy more food and let the nay-sayers have their way. Good luck and I hope that you report back what your success was.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Part of the confusion people are having here is with what you initially said "3100 cals", but then you said " She is bring me up to 2100 in the next 6 weeks slowly so I don't have a major weight gain.". 2100cals is very reasonable for your activity level and size, I'm going to also guess that in your consult you noted you want to be a runner and increase your running. If so, with increasing mileage, 3100 could eventually be OK too, and " bring me up to 2100 in the next 6 weeks slowly" is a great way to test the waters of what amount you need, stopping the increase when you start to gain a few weeks. If you stated it the way I think it most likely was actually was presented, even most doubters would not be doubting. But, weigh the food.

So, keep your positive attitude about it and try it, don't argue about it with random internet people who say it won't work based on an initial mis-representation of what you were advised. Just do it, train well, weigh your food out carefully, and see how it works for your body. Its not a big deal: as you increase over the next six weeks to 2100, you will be able to tell how its going and what you were doing wasn't working anyways.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

duh.

yeah- that's not maintenance. cutting at 2100 isn't going to be helpful because that's probably closer to maintenance.

For a young woman with weight to lose who runs marathons?? Unlikely. That barely over maintenance for me and I'm a 52 yo woman who's been sitting at a desk most days for over 30 years.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

But she isn't seeing a registere dietician she is seeing a "sports nutrionist" way different.