Restaurant Pet Peeves

Options

Replies

• lodiloohoo64
    lodiloohoo64 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When a child throws macaroni and cheese in your hair and his mother is checking her pinterest.:huh:
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    I'm guessing you have a problem with asking for change afterward. I'm certainly not taking advice from someone so rude. If I need smaller bills afterward, which I have only needed maybe twice because most people bring you back change you can tip them back with, I will ASK.

Then you are making the server do DOUBLE WORK. Why not just simply TELL YOUR SERVER so they won't have to go back? You are only hurting them and yourself by not being able to leave as quickly as well as affecting other customer's time as well. You are being selfish about this.

I'm being selfish in wanting change back so I can tip the rude waiter? That's hilarious. I guess next time I won't ask, I just won't tip. Now THAT would be selfish, my dear.
  • lodiloohoo64
    lodiloohoo64 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When a child throws macaroni and cheese in your hair and his mother is checking her pinterest.:huh:

I have 6 children and 5 grandchildren. I guess they have always known that acting poorly means a babysitter next time, so they didn't and don't. It helps to have a talk in the car before heading into the place. Also, you are out for the evening, leave your phone in your purse if with good company.
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    You really are a drama queen. He took the check so quickly I couldn't ask for smaller bills. But hey, I guess I should have gotten up and chased him down, right?

You sure didn't mention that this entire time, did you? You could put a note if you think a server will go so quickly that you need smaller bills. For example, "Smaller bills please" "Thank you." That's a thought that could prevent this.

Well gosh, I am sorry I did not write how the entire thing happened. Shall I start with our arrival and work my way to the end? I had no idea he would grab the check so quickly. How was I supposed to know that? And if I don't have a pen or paper on me? I think you expect too much from customers.
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    I'm being selfish in wanting change back so I can tip the rude waiter? That's hilarious. I guess next time I won't ask, I just won't tip. Now THAT would be selfish, my dear.

No, you are being selfish if you don't want to tell your server before he gets the change and risking having to send him back causing others to get affected by the *TIME* he is WASTING getting change for you TWICE in a row when he could have been at other tables instead of yours getting refills and such for them.

I think you're missing the point here. It's not that I didn't WANT to. It's I had no chance to. I'm sorry, I am NOT getting up and chasing someone down. You're taking this too personal.
  • EplusThree
    EplusThree Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve has to be when the greeter or host doesn't acknowledge you are standing waiting for them to seat you and continue doing what they're doing. Obviously then you don't need my business if that's the case. *walks out*

Yep! Worse if someone they know walks in behind you and they rush to greet them while still ignoring you. Definitely walked out.

I whole-heartedly agree with this! That makes my blood boil. It only takes a split second to smile and say "I'll be right with you" or "hello". I understand you may be busy with something at the moment, but there is no excuse to not spend a moment to at least acknowledge me.
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    Well gosh, I am sorry I did not write how the entire thing happened. Shall I start with our arrival and work my way to the end? I had no idea he would grab the check so quickly. How was I supposed to know that? And if I don't have a pen or paper on me? I think you expect too much from customers.

Why don't you come prepared with a pen? All you need is a napkin and if it's a place that has no paper napkins, you can bring a piece of paper with you.

No, I am not expecting too much from other people to care about other people's time in the restaurant. That's just called caring about others.

As far as you not knowing he would take it so fast, of course you won't know, that's why you do as I said, write a note and put it on the bill holder that has the check inside.

Why don't you stop telling customers what to do? I was not aware that we customers had to leave notes for anyone.
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    I think you're missing the point here. It's not that I didn't WANT to. It's I had no chance to. I'm sorry, I am NOT getting up and chasing someone down. You're taking this too personal.

I am going by that you said you weren't taking advice from someone rude. That's what you said. So that's what I went by with my reply.

If you would have written a note, you would have had a chance, so maybe next time bring a pen and a piece of paper.

It's not my job to make sure I have a pen and piece of paper. So no, I don't think I will.
  • ceruleanjen
    Options

It's not my job to make sure I have a pen and piece of paper. So no, I don't think I will.

Then it's not the server's job to make sure you have small bills as change if you didn't let them know that ahead of time. It's your fault if he has to go get change twice, not his.

I guess I could just not tip if it's such an issue.
  • ceruleanjen
    Options

Then it's not the server's job to make sure you have small bills as change if you didn't let them know that ahead of time. It's your fault if he has to go get change twice, not his.

And it's cute how you keep going back to edit your posts. LOL. I'm done with this ridiculous rant/conversation.
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Ha! I know EXACTLY where that is. I love that area. I live in Lithonia. :happy:
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I hate when the female waitress thinks she needs to vent about her life drama, I mean im here for good service not the freak show! I like to make convo with the waiter just not that deep.:noway:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't want people wasting my time. I want what I want for my money. Who goes to a restaurant let's say during their lunch break, only has that hour(let's say work is right next door, so you don't have to drive anywhere), you really want your server taking MORE TIME to do things you don't want, honestly? That could make you late getting back to work. That's not nice of the server to not think about your feelings and your time as a customer. For example, I don't tell my server I am ready to order if I am not ready. If they ask and I am not ready, I tell them. I am CONSIDERATE about their time, they should be CONSIDERATE of OURS.

I've eaten in restaurants where the server automatically brings water and in restaurants where the server does not. I have never noticed a measurable difference in the time spent between the two.

I love how all of your complaints in this thread are so serious they require capital letters and the Internet equivalent of screaming them at the top of your lungs, but you belittle others' complaints and tell them they're wrong.
  • ceruleanjen
    Options

I am just trying to prevent more work for the server and thinking about other people's time besides my own in the restaurant. You aren't thinking about anyone else but yourself here.

I'm sorry. I go out to eat so I don't have to work. I spend enough time working. Not my job. I will ask for smaller change if someone gives me a chance to. :smile:
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    I don't want people wasting my time. I want what I want for my money. Who goes to a restaurant let's say during their lunch break, only has that hour(let's say work is right next door, so you don't have to drive anywhere), you really want your server taking MORE TIME to do things you don't want, honestly? That could make you late getting back to work. That's not nice of the server to not think about your feelings and your time as a customer. For example, I don't tell my server I am ready to order if I am not ready. If they ask and I am not ready, I tell them. I am CONSIDERATE about their time, they should be CONSIDERATE of OURS.

I've eaten in restaurants where the server automatically brings water and in restaurants where the server does not. I have never noticed a measurable difference in the time spent between the two.

I love how all of your complaints in this thread are so serious they require capital letters and the Internet equivalent of screaming them at the top of your lungs, but you belittle others' complaints and tell them they're wrong.

Hahaha.
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    I've eaten in restaurants where the server automatically brings water and in restaurants where the server does not. I have never noticed a measurable difference in the time spent between the two.I love how all of your complaints in this thread are so serious they require capital letters and the Internet equivalent of screaming them at the top of your lungs, but you belittle others' complaints and tell them they're wrong.

There is a time difference. Every minute, every SECOND they are wasting if you don't want water is TIME. You are wrong. No matter what you say, time is time.

How can you say it's not a measurable difference? Let's say you just arrive, 5 MINUTES by the time your server gets to you(You are in a party of 12), WHY? Fixing 12 waters that nobody wants at the table. Could have been at your table in 2-3 minutes. You have NO CLUE OF WTH you are talking about.

Even just printing the check is wasting my time if I want something else. That's TIME, TIME IS TIME. We have had servers before give us the check only for them to have to adjust it and print it all over again. Time is time.

Anything wastes time if you do it for nothing. Are you stupid?

You could have prevented that by arriving earlier. ;)
  • ceruleanjen
    Options

I'm sorry. I go out to eat so I don't have to work. I spend enough time working. Not my job. I will ask for smaller change if someone gives me a chance to. :smile:

It is your job if you don't want your time wasted and you don't want to have to ask your server again to get smaller bills.

I had no problem with time being wasted like you seem to do. I had problem with the attitude. <---- Attitude.
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    I've eaten in restaurants where the server automatically brings water and in restaurants where the server does not. I have never noticed a measurable difference in the time spent between the two.I love how all of your complaints in this thread are so serious they require capital letters and the Internet equivalent of screaming them at the top of your lungs, but you belittle others' complaints and tell them they're wrong.

There is a time difference. Every minute, every SECOND they are wasting if you don't want water is TIME. You are wrong. No matter what you say, time is time.

How can you say it's not a measurable difference? Let's say you just arrive, 5 MINUTES by the time your server gets to you(You are in a party of 12), WHY? Fixing 12 waters that nobody wants at the table. Could have been at your table in 2-3 minutes. You have NO CLUE OF WTH you are talking about.

Even just printing the check is wasting my time if I want something else. That's TIME, TIME IS TIME. We have had servers before give us the check only for them to have to adjust it and print it all over again. Time is time.

Why didn't you leave them a note on how soon you wanted your water? That's your job, am I right?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Your obsession with this topic leads me to believe that seconds of your time aren't really as important as you think they are.
  • ceruleanjen
    Options

You could have prevented that by arriving earlier. ;)

No, because I go a lot of times when the restaurant OPENS, so NO, that's not true in most cases. Secondly, I am not going to arrive earlier because my server wants to waste my tip money during my time there not getting me what *I* want.

Why didn't you leave them a note on how soon you wanted your water? That's your job, am I right?