Restaurant Pet Peeves

Options

Replies

• ceruleanjen
    Options

Why didn't you leave them a note on how soon you wanted your water? That's your job, am I right?

I don't want water. Didn't you *READ* anything I posted?

My, how testy we are! You don't really bother to read mine, but okay, EDIT: Why didn't you leave them a note telling them not to waste your TIME then?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Your obsession with this topic leads me to believe that seconds of your time aren't really as important as you think they are.

MONEY is the subject. They are wasting my time which is MONEY when it comes to tipping for BOTH the customer and the server.
    I think you probably should not go to restaurants. This eating out thing is probably going to cause you to have a stroke and either end up dead or in a coma.

But then you won't have to worry so much about your wasted time.
  • rml_16
    Options

Why didn't you leave them a note on how soon you wanted your water? That's your job, am I right?

I don't want water. Didn't you *READ* anything I posted?
    Then leave a note stating you don't want water.
  • ceruleanjen
    Options

Not my job to do that. Their job to ask me what I want to drink. That's what the server's job is, DUHH!

lol, pot meet kettle.
  • rml_16
    Options

Not my job to do that. Their job to ask me what I want to drink. That's what the server's job is, DUHH!
    And it's not anyone's job to leave a note telling the server she wants small bills as change, but you want her to do THAT.

If it's restaurant policy to bring all diners water, then that's what the server is going to do. The server can't read your mind and I would appreciate if you would leave a note letting the server know exactly what you want because otherwise you are being very selfish and I hate that you're wasting everyone's time this way.
  • rml_16
    Options

lol, pot meet kettle.

NOPE, because it's your job if you want smaller bills, not your job to tell your server you want change at all, DUHH!

It's your job to tell the server you don't want something that it's restaurant policy for the server to bring you. So please leave a note. I hate when you waste everyone's time this way.
  • rml_16
    Options
    And it's not anyone's job to leave a note telling the server she wants small bills as change, but you want her to do THAT.

Yes it is, because she wants something without letting the server know what she wants.
    If it's restaurant policy to bring all diners water, then that's what the server is going to do.

No, as a server I would take charge of my tip and my tired feet by going to the table to let them know I would be right with them and ask if anyone would like waters. The customer gets what *THEY* want, so NO the restaurant doesn't tell me how I want my service for MY TIP MONEY. I RULE THAT, NOT ANYONE ELSE!
    The server can't read your mind and I would appreciate if you would leave a note letting the server know exactly what you want because otherwise you are being very selfish and I hate that you're wasting everyone's time this way.

That's why the server *ASKS* you want to drink. You sure shouldn't have to ask you if you want small bills honestly. I think what would solve this if the server would ask, but they shouldn't have to.
    Please be more courteous about my time and my tip money. Please leave a note for your server.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    i don't know if you can call this a pet peeve. I mean, it bothered me terribly at the time. I've only encountered it once.

It was my birthday, two years ago, and we were at a nice steakhouse (Chandlers, for anyone in the Boise area who knows it). While having some very nice wine and funky appetizers (snails, baby), a man in gym shorts and a hooded sweatshirt walks in with his companion. By companion I mean "lady of the night."

Throughout dinner, both of them are cursing like sailors, and loudly, to the degree that we can hear everything they are saying (and they are three tables away from us). In retrospect, we should have said something to a manger before. In all honesty, I was pretty drunk and we thought it was kind of funny, until things escalated.

Conversation turns to what it's like to be a professional companion for men. The guy, in the most crass terminology, starts asking specifics about the things she has to do to please men. Kind of turned our stomachs. Urggghhh... We did finally say something to management.

I guess it's also a pet peeve when some random dude enters a classy steakhouse in gym shorts and a hoodie. I suppose, if I were a manager at Chandler's, I probably wouldn't have allowed him in. Who knows? Maybe he was visiting royalty.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, you have issues.

Or else you're a very committed and specialized troll.

YOU have *******CONTROL********** ISSUES that you think you should FORCE someone to have something they don't want for their tip money. WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO TELL ME WHAT I WANT FOR ********MY TIP MONEY*******, HUH? I am not telling you how to spend your money, don't tell me how to spend mine!

As I said, you aren't even thinking about that people need room for the things they order. You are just so into just YOURSELF!
    I still say if I still worked as a server and you got stuck at my table, I'd find a Xanax to slip into your food. I wonder if your husband does that?

I'd get you arrested. You are one mean person.

It appears that you are the one with control issues! Do you honestly think *************YOUR TIP MONEY*************** being on the line gives you the right to control and treat your server that way? You expect an ordinary person to be a mind-reader. Most servers will do what their managers have told them to do during training. Obviously, that doesn't please you. So, their goes some of ************YOUR TIP MONEY*********** right off the bat simply because of a glass of water. You really must be a ray of sunshine.

On a side note, the way that you are typing your responses does not lead us to believe you are a married woman. Are you sure you're old enough to be on this site?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    When a child throws macaroni and cheese in your hair and his mother is checking her pinterest.:huh:

I have 6 children and 5 grandchildren. I guess they have always known that acting poorly means a babysitter next time, so they didn't and don't. It helps to have a talk in the car before heading into the place. Also, you are out for the evening, leave your phone in your purse if with good company.

I like the way you think.

As a non-parent I often err on the side of being overly understanding about kids in restaurants. But when I go out with my friends who have kids, and see that their kids actually know how to remain seated and aren't hanging over other diners' booths chatting and giggling and chewing on the upholstery or having meltdowns...I realize there is such a thing as good parents and good kids ;-)
  • 19TaraLynn84
    Options
    When a child throws macaroni and cheese in your hair and his mother is checking her pinterest.:huh:

Well everyone knows their smartphone is more important than making children act like civilized human beings. Come on, times are changing - gotta change with them!

That was extreme sarcasm, just in case anyone missed that. ;)
  • rml_16
    Options

I have 6 children and 5 grandchildren. I guess they have always known that acting poorly means a babysitter next time, so they didn't and don't. It helps to have a talk in the car before heading into the place. Also, you are out for the evening, leave your phone in your purse if with good company.

I like the way you think.

As a non-parent I often err on the side of being overly understanding about kids in restaurants. But when I go out with my friends who have kids, and see that their kids actually know how to remain seated and aren't hanging over other diners' booths chatting and giggling and chewing on the upholstery or having meltdowns...I realize there is such a thing as good parents and good kids ;-)
    Sometimes the best parents end up with kids who are just very ... energetic. lol But good parents with kids like those don't take them out to eat.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I got through most of the pages but just can't take the fighting anymore.

As a patron:

Copping out on refills with a pitcher of water/tea/soda left at the table. (Especially soda since it gets watery). These items plus an app plus app plates and other glasses, salt/pepper, and decorations take up so much space.

Reaching over me to grab any item from the person farther into the booth. (My husband once said something about armpit cheese and that was it for me).

At a Breastraunt (Hooters, Twin Peaks, etc) I can't stand when the waitress is oozing over the 2 guys at a table and forgets about me. I like good service and friendliness, too.

Children-- I understand better if they cry; it happens. However- DO NOT let them bounce or kick the booth and peek over getting their cracker-y hands in my face and hair. And for lord's sake, please keep them near your table if they insist on not being in their chair.

Not picking up my plate when I'm done. I normally move it to the end of the table so I don't have to look at it or smell it. It doesn't bother me to be the last person with a plate if I'm not finished.

Giving me crap about asking for A-1. I don't care how good the steak is, I love A-1. And maybe I won't use it, but i'll ask anyway, just in case. So don't say "Oh, you won't need that..." or pull a face at me. Just don't.

Grown women who talk like we are children or have a child-like voice when speaking. It's not cute.

As a server (formerly):
    Shaking the ice in your glass to announce you were so thirsty you gulped your 24 oz to go cup in .5 seconds BEFORE even looking at the menu. Slow down there, killer - you'll give yourself indigestion.

Children + Crackers. Or breadsticks. Or the worst was the cornbread. That stuff gets EVERYWHERE!!

During a normal lull period (ie: 1:30-3:30pm) normally only 2 sections are open and you want to sit in an unmanned area, normally way in the back all alone. I can tell you that is one of the best ways to be forgotten :(

Just so some of you know, ordering water instead of drinks can make you seem cheap. Especially if you order water + lemons and ask for "extra sugar." Why not please just spend the $1.25 on a dangum lemonade????

And we do love it when you remember our name and sit in our section next time. So don't complain when we sign the check with our name and a smiley face.

And I say "you guys," but I don't use "dude" when referring to a woman. "You guys" is the same as "ya'll." But "ya'll" makes you sound too country (and I'm in Texas!).
  • 19TaraLynn84
    Options
    Some people order water because that's what they like to drink. Not because they're cheap.
  • rml_16
    Options
    And I say "you guys," but I don't use "dude" when referring to a woman. "You guys" is the same as "ya'll." But "ya'll" makes you sound too country (and I'm in Texas!).

I didn't read through, but if someone complained about this, it's probably regional/cultural. I grew up in the Northeast and it's a common expression there, so I wouldn't bat an eye. Someone unfamiliar with it might be offended by it (though that person might not be the nicest, either, to get so upset about something so small).
    Just so some of you know, ordering water instead of drinks can make you seem cheap. Especially if you order water + lemons and ask for "extra sugar." Why not please just spend the $1.25 on a dangum lemonade????

Because I drink water ...

I drink water at home, I drink water when I go out. It isn't to save money, it's because it's what I drink. I don't care for soda and I don't want to waste calories on something like lemonade.
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Pet Peeve: Restaurant staff who are more concerned about yapping to other restaurant staff about who got more drunk the night before, how Sue slept with Joe, complaining about their job etc. Ummmmmmm . . . I thought you were there to serve me? Isn't that why I'm paying for my meal to begin with?

:tongue:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Pet Peeve: Restaurant staff who are more concerned about yapping to other restaurant staff about who got more drunk the night before, how Sue slept with Joe, complaining about their job etc. Ummmmmmm . . . I thought you were there to serve me? Isn't that why I'm paying for my meal to begin with?

:tongue:

This is actually my salon pet peeve, rather than restaurant. From the nicest to cheapest salon it seems like I always have the great fortune of getting the stylist whose boyfriend just cheated on her and she's planning a night out to drink away the pain...and all of her coworkers are being dramatic as well. No time for that...

Although I've seen it happen in restaurants too. There's a super trendy place in my town where they have about four servers to every diner and it looks like they're just flirting and having drinks at all times (while on shift)...I'd swear they were all just at a party and customers crashed it...ugh
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    Some people order water because that's what they like to drink. Not because they're cheap.

Yup. Supposed to get those 8 glasses in! ;-)
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Not sure what water has to do with your tip money, but whatever psycho.

Are you dumb? THE TIP IS FOR THE **********SERVICE************, which *IS* part of the service time the server is WASTING, DUHHHH! Not sure WHY ANYONE would have to actual *EXPLAIN* this to you??? I don't want water. I don't want my server wasting my time that they could be getting something *********I*************** want instead. It's MY TIP MONEY, I *RULE* WHAT THEY GET ME, NOT ANYONE ELSE! Just because it's the water is free doesn't mean the service is, DUH!

How do you feel when your server gets you something you didn't want and you were waiting to order something you *DID* want, huh? Not frustrating at all at least a little bit, huh? Especially if you are in a hurry for example such as someone on their lunch break.
    Wow dude. I feel bad for any server that's ever had the displeasure of waiting on you. I wonder how many people have spit in your food over the years. Do you complain if you have a spoon on your table that you don't plan on using too? You must really lose it whenever they bring out bread or a complimentary soup or salad.

Probably goes something like this:
    ******BREAD?****** HOW DARE YOU!!!!!*** waste****MY**** TIME on FU%^ING complementary BREAD!!!!! >>MY<< TIP money does not go towards BREAD!!!!Not sure WHY ANYONE would have to actual *EXPLAIN* this to you??? ^^I RULE^^ WHAT IS DELIVERED TO **my table!!!!*****IT'S MY TIP MONEY!!! MYYYY TIIIIIIIIP MONEYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

First of all, in my experience if water is standard at the restaurant it's not the server that brings waters, it's whoever is bussing the tables. They put water glasses out with the table settings and somebody comes along with a pitcher or something. I'm sure many places do it differently though. If I'm at a bar or someplace that doesn't really set their table I don't expect water. Pretty simple concept.
    Second, chill the hell out and learn how to have a rational conversation.
    Third, drink some water, maybe it will help you not to be so constipated and you can relax a little.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I have a couple.
    Children: I have a child, I make him sit, talk quietly, once in a while he turns around and tries to bug the people near us...when I see him doing it I tell him to sit back down. If he is being a nudge as children can be sometimes I take him out for a time out...so what I dislike is parents letting their children run around the place and making a scene, it's not needed BTW my son just turned 3. I'm not saying it's easy, my son would much rather be up running around and stuff but if you are going to take them in public and insist on eating a meal out then you make them behave the way they should, nope it won't always be an enjoyable time for you but sometimes (ALL) parenting comes before being their friend.

Rudeness: Now this goes both ways, I don't like getting a server who is rude/short with people. I know you have had a long day, especially if you are working a double but I didn't make it long and I'm not there to make it longer, I am always nice and try to be understanding, you should to I live in the US I know your tips are a big part of your living, so suck it up. But that being said I HATE when people are rude to servers, there is no need! They are saving you from not only making you dinner but the clean up as well. Appreciate all they do, servers have more then one table so be aware of all they are doing and times it by 5, it's hardd *kitten* work. Being rude to a server grates on my nerves, most are ding it for a reason other then making a living too. Some so they can be home for their kids during the day, or to go to school themselves. Most know it's not what they want to do forever but it's a way to pay the bills.

Tipping: Oh man, I usually give 20%, because I know how expensive it is to live around where I do. I give more if they server has been super nice, or done her job very well. I hate cheap people! I think that's it.