Warning! Beware of the Atkins diet

Options

Replies

• Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Here's my reference... The China Study.

Oh oh! China study! Fun times. That Minger chick has a fun china study read. You're bound to love it. Here 'this.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    T. Colin Campbell is actually a nutritional biochemist.
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    "Beware the Atkins Diet, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!"

(Lewis Carroll (modified a little))

It's not even just for health reasons that you want to avoid eating Jubjub bird. Have you guys seen the appalling conditions at Jubjub bird factory farms? It's disturbing and disgusting, I saw a documentary on Netflix once and never again will I support that industry. Anyway, does anyone know what to substitute for Jubjub eggs in a quiche?
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    My feelings summed up
    Nene-eye-roll.gif
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    You're doing it wrong. OP, work on the technical nature of your posting skills.
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I eat between 50-150g of carbs which is considered low carb. I also eat a lot of vegetables and some fruit. I couldn't do the Adkins long term because I don't like meat that much but I did lose weight a lot quicker on that diet. What I'm doing now is a lifestyle not a diet. I think too much of anything good is a detriment to your health... so you are right in some ways. :smile:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

It's not even just for health reasons that you want to avoid eating Jubjub bird. Have you guys seen the appalling conditions at Jubjub bird factory farms? It's disturbing and disgusting, I saw a documentary on Netflix once and never again will I support that industry. Anyway, does anyone know what to substitute for Jubjub eggs in a quiche?

Cauliflower. Because cauliflower is a magical vegetable that can replace any food in a recipe, even jubjub eggs.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Steak - yumm
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Atkins and any other low carb fad diets are bad and a danger to your health.
    I tend to agree they are fabs and not ideal.
    But I'd like to see some backup they are bad for your health.
    Can it be worse than the "McDonalds Diet" which shown to actually be good for your health?
    Um, Dr. Atkins is dead. I wouldn't take advice from him, either.
    So are hundreds of well renowned nutritionists.

This site really needs a sarcasm font.
  • chachicopley
    Options
    Calling out the pure bull**** here. You give no reason why low-carb diets are "bad"! Any diet that gets rid of all grains in addition to fruits and veggies are dangerous. Most low-carb diets emphasize skipping the refined sugars and sweets, and replace with complex carbohydrates, non-starchy vegetables, and fruits that are low-glycemic. Many also emphasize lean meats (not super-fatty cuts or anything high in saturated or trans fat) and good fats like those from olives and other sources of omega-3s. I will on occasion still have a half-cup (real serving size) of whole-wheat spaghetti or linguini, skimping the sauce, and just mix in a hair of olive oil; lots fresh cut tomatoes, olives, onions, peppers, and mushrooms; a little boiled shrimp or chicken; and maybe a little feta thrown on. I skip the breadsticks and butter, nix the dressing and croutons with the pre-dinner salad, and just forgo the desert when out at an Italian eatery.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Here's my reference... The China Study.
    Well now i'm sold! Well done op!:laugh: :huh:
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    Yes you do lose weight with the Atkins diet because you are consuming a small amount of calories. Unfortunately that doesn't make it healthy.
  • chachicopley
    Options
    Omg you reference the China Study? Do some research, you will see how flawed it really ended up being!
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options

Cauliflower

Edit. Oh! Someone said that already. He was right. It is magical.
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You give no reason why low-carb diets are "bad"! Any diet that gets rid of all grains in addition to fruits and veggies are dangerous. Most low-carb diets emphasize skipping the refined sugars and sweets, and replace with complex carbohydrates, non-starchy vegetables, and fruits that are low-glycemic. Many also emphasize lean meats

This! Thanks for being clear. This is what I do. :drinker:
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Calling out the pure bull**** here. You give no reason why low-carb diets are "bad"! Any diet that gets rid of all grains in addition to fruits and veggies are dangerous. Most low-carb diets emphasize skipping the refined sugars and sweets, and replace with complex carbohydrates, non-starchy vegetables, and fruits that are low-glycemic. Many also emphasize lean meats (not super-fatty cuts or anything high in saturated or trans fat) and good fats like those from olives and other sources of omega-3s. I will on occasion still have a half-cup (real serving size) of whole-wheat spaghetti or linguini, skimping the sauce, and just mix in a hair of olive oil; lots fresh cut tomatoes, olives, onions, peppers, and mushrooms; a little boiled shrimp or chicken; and maybe a little feta thrown on. I skip the breadsticks and butter, nix the dressing and croutons with the pre-dinner salad, and just forgo the desert when out at an Italian eatery.

you understand this thread was sarcasm?
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    Some research? Go onto Amazon books and check the reviews. 4 1/2 stars is the rating average from 1,962 reviews. T. Colin Campbell has a PH.D. Check his credentials. He's a nutritional biochemist. A scientist.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

you understand this thread was sarcasm?
    Was it?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Some research? Go onto Amazon books and check the reviews. 4 1/2 stars is the rating average from 1,962 reviews. T. Colin Campbell has a PH.D. Check his credentials. He's a nutritional biochemist. A scientist.
    Could you point us to the data in the China Study that expresses what your saying here today? I'll wait.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Woah...hang on...sar what?!?!