Warning! Beware of the Atkins diet

Options

Replies

• FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Some research? Go onto Amazon books and check the reviews. 4 1/2 stars is the rating average from 1,962 reviews. T. Colin Campbell has a PH.D. Check his credentials. He's a nutritional biochemist. A scientist.
    Bacon, because, SCIENCE!
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    T. Colin Campbell was involved in the discovery of a chemical later called dioxin. So I highly doubt he's a "bad" scientist. He authored hundreds of scientific papers, helped shape the American Institute for Cancer research. Those credentials are convincing enough for me.
  • nikkiofthelake
    Options
    I find that when I eat low carb I eat fewer processed foods and eat more vegetables. Eating low carb can be very healthy. While it's still about calories, many find that eating low carb is an easy and satiating way to reduce calories and lose weight.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    T. Colin Campbell was involved in the discovery of a chemical later called dioxin. So I highly doubt he's a "bad" scientist. He authored hundreds of scientific papers, helped shape the American Institute for Cancer research. Those credentials are convincing enough for me.

I was right one time in my life, therefore everything I have ever said is right.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,953 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, the good ol arguement from authority. You still haven't answered the question.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Dioxin is a toxic chemical that is removed from the blood stream and stored in fat cells where it can't harm the body, unless you free it by metabolizing the fat. So with this info I would believe Campbell would do all he could to keep people from metabolizing those cells to save them from this dangerous toxin. Now the china study makes sense!
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    @ whoever mentioned cutting grains and complex carbs. Well the original post was about the Atkins diet. Which doesn't only cut the bad processed carbs but also complex carbs from certain fruits.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    Dioxin is a toxic chemical that is removed from the blood stream and stored in fat cells where it can't harm the body, unless you free it by metabolizing the fat. So with this info I would believe Campbell would do all he could to keep people from metabolizing those cells to save them from this dangerous toxin. Now the china study makes sense!

I assume you haven't read the book?
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Atkins and any other low carb fad diets are bad and a danger to your health.

I'm not following Atkins per se, but here is an example of a day of very-low-carb eating. Looks pretty healthy to me - over 4 cups of veggies. and if you want fruit, exchange the chocolate for 5 or 6 strawberries and the macros are the same

Breakfast - 3 egg omelet with spinach and green peppers
    Morning snack - 23 almonds (1 oz)
    Lunch - 6 oz roast salmon, large romain and tomato salad with 3 tbsp caesars dressing
    Afternoon snack - 2 slices salami and 1 oz cheddar cheese
    Dinner - 2 roasted chicken thighs with skin, 1 cup roasted cauliflower and 1 cup roasted broccoli with olive oil and parmesan
    Desert - 1/2 cup of full-fat greek yogurt with 2 squares of 90% cocoa dark chocolate

Calories - 2000 Net carbs 28g, Protein 111g, Fat 154g
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,953 Member
    Options

Yes I have, and one of the reasons I'm asking you to point out that particular data. Is it really that tough of a question that your floundering about? Whoops you skipped my particular question, but maybe you could answer it anyway, if you can.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Some research? Go onto Amazon books and check the reviews. 4 1/2 stars is the rating average from 1,962 reviews. T. Colin Campbell has a PH.D. Check his credentials. He's a nutritional biochemist. A scientist.

There are more than a few scientists that disagree with him.
    Raises hand. The China Study is a very slanted read.
  • Izakg
    Izakg Posts: 3
    Options
    Mate, I don't know why you bother engaging in the arguments in here. This is the first time I have ever read a thread and it seems that people are not open at all to new perspectives and are quick to rubbish the opinions of others when they don't actually have a clue themselves.

P.s I think The China Study is interesting :0)
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I love the smell of troll in the morning.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I know you're trolling OP, but I'll bite.

I read the China Study. I became vegetarian in the way he advises for a while.
    Felt horrible. Weak, sickly.
    Not doing that anymore.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options

High carb moderate protein low fat = insulin spikes and a tendency to store fat. Can't metabolize fat if you are storing it. Hence my above statement. Publishing it as a weight loss book doesn't make it a weight loss book.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Here's my reference... The China Study.

Oh oh! China study! Fun times. That Minger chick has a fun china study read. You're bound to love it. Here 'this.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/

Thanks for the read. It is most interesting.
  • airforceman1978
    airforceman1978 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Calories in is less then calories out you lose weight best diet there is
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    The only thing wrong with Atkins is that they are now a big corporation with a profit only agenda and all processed "diet" foods suck.

But the rest of what you say? BS. Minimizing carbs is just what people with severely damaged metabolism NEED to do to get well. There are societies around the world that lived on low carb diets for generations without illness and disease until they were colonized. So. (Yes, they are human so their model is relevant- I live with Inuit and biologically there is no difference.)

Being ketogenic is neither dangerous (quite the opposite!) nor unsustainable for those of us who love to eat this way. However, using low carb only for weight loss and returning to one's previous bad eating habits- FAIL. But that can be said about ANY diet.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I've been keto-ing since July. Not dead yet....They really need to make an eye rolling emoticon....

Seriously. I've only gotten healthier by eating bacon-wrapped grass-fed sharp cheddar cheeseburgers fried in unrefined coconut oil or Kerrygold. Gotta have my Vanilla Smirnoff with Coke Zero, too.

Or maybe it was the fish oil capsules I took for a couple months. Ahahahahaha. Not eating pizza and cake all the time and drinking beer probably helped a lot.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'll bite. It doesn't matter which diet or lifestyle one follows. Adherence is what matters. Some people have to follow a particular lifestyle for medical reasons. Celiacs, crohn's, colitis, reactive hypos, diabetic, allergy suffers, etc.