Warning! Beware of the Atkins diet

Options

Replies

• abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Here is what NUTRITIONAL BIOCHEMIST T. Colin Campbell wrote about the Atkins diet. Great advice from one of the most well respected nutrition experts in the world..

THE ATKINS CRISIS

In case you haven't noticed, there is an elephant in the room. It goes by the name "low-carb diet," and it has become very popular. Almost all diet books on store shelves are variations of this one theme: eat as much protein, meat, and fat as you want, but stay away from those "fatty" carbs. As you have seen already in this book, my research findings and my point of view show that eating this way is perhaps the single greatest threat to American health we currently face."...

Then later in the chapter he goes on to say...

"It is difficult to know where to begin to refute the maze of misinformation and false promises commonly made by authors completely untrained in nutrition, authors who have never conducted any peer-reviewed, professionally based experimental research. And yet these books are immensely popular. Why? Because people do lose weight, at least in the short term." Then later in the chapter he goes on to mention the Atkins study...

"In one published study funded by the Atkins Center for Complementary Medicine, researchers put fifty-one obese people on the Atkins diet. The forty-one subjects who maintained the diet over the course of six months lost an average of twenty pounds. In addition, average blood cholesterol levels decreased slightly, which was perhaps even more important. Because of these two results, this study was presented in the media as real, scientific proof that the Atkins diet works and is safe. Unfortunately, the media didn't go much deeper than that.
    The first sign that all is not rosy is that these obese subjects were severely restricting their calorie intake during the study. The average American consumes about 2, 250 calorues per day. When the study participants were on the diet , they consumed an average of 1, 450 calories per day. That's 35% fewer calories! I don't care if you eat worms and cardboard; if you eat 35% fewer calories, you will lose weight and your cholesterol levels will improve In the short run, but that is not to say that worms and cardboard form a healthy diet."

"In this same study, funded by the Atkins group, researchers report, "At some point during the twenty-four weeks, twenty-eight subjects(68%) reported constipation, twenty-six(63%) reported bad breath, twenty-one(51%) reported headache, four(10%) noted hair loss, and one woman(1%) reported increased menstrual bleeding."

NUFF SAID!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I'm here for the bro science about how you need starchy carbs to live.

Are you referring to every carb as a starch? Fruits and veggies have COMPLEX carbs. Mr Atkins is an overweight man, I wouldn't take advice from him.

I think he is dead?
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    I'm here for the bro science about how you need starchy carbs to live.

Are you referring to every carb as a starch? Fruits and veggies have COMPLEX carbs. Mr Atkins is an overweight man, I wouldn't take advice from him.

I think he is dead?

Sorry, was overweight and had heart disease + high blood pressure.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Some research? Go onto Amazon books and check the reviews. 4 1/2 stars is the rating average from 1,962 reviews. T. Colin Campbell has a PH.D. Check his credentials. He's a nutritional biochemist. A scientist.

There are more than a few scientists that disagree with him.
    Raises hand. The China Study is a very slanted read.

Ok so off topic - so report me but.....

How can I take you serious with that profile pic........:laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
    ::exiting sarcastic font::
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    Some research? Go onto Amazon books and check the reviews. 4 1/2 stars is the rating average from 1,962 reviews. T. Colin Campbell has a PH.D. Check his credentials. He's a nutritional biochemist. A scientist.

There are more than a few scientists that disagree with him.
    Raises hand. The China Study is a very slanted read.

Ok so off topic - so report me but.....

How can I take you serious with that profile pic........:laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
    ::exiting sarcastic font::

No offence taken. We're just not each other's type ;)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,974 Member
    Options
    Here is what NUTRITIONAL BIOCHEMIST T. Colin Campbell wrote about the Atkins diet. Great advice from one of the most well respected nutrition experts in the world..

THE ATKINS CRISIS

In case you haven't noticed, there is an elephant in the room. It goes by the name "low-carb diet," and it has become very popular. Almost all diet books on store shelves are variations of this one theme: eat as much protein, meat, and fat as you want, but stay away from those "fatty" carbs. As you have seen already in this book, my research findings and my point of view show that eating this way is perhaps the single greatest threat to American health we currently face."...

"It is difficult to know where to begin to refute the maze of misinformation and false promises commonly made by authors completely untrained in nutrition, authors who have never conducted any peer-reviewed, professionally based experimental research. And yet these books are immensely popular. Why? Because people do lose weight, at least in the short term." Then later in the chapter he goes on to mention the Atkins study...

"In one published study funded by the Atkins Center for Complementary Medicine, researchers put fifty-one obese people on the Atkins diet. The forty-one subjects who maintained the diet over the course of six months lost an average of twenty pounds. In addition, average blood cholesterol levels decreased slightly, which was perhaps even more important. Because of these two results, this study was presented in the media as real, scientific proof that the Atkins diet works and is safe. Unfortunately, the media didn't go much deeper than that.
    The first sign that all is not rosy is that these obese subjects were severely restricting their calorie intake during the study. The average American consumes about 2, 250 calorues per day. When the study participants were on the diet , they consumed an average of 1, 450 calories per day. That's 35% fewer calories! I don't care if you eat worms and cardboard; if you eat 35% fewer calories, you will lose weight and your cholesterol levels will improve In the short run, but that is not to say that worms and cardboard form a healthy diet."

"In this same study, funded by the Atkins group, researchers report, "At some point during the twenty-four weeks, twenty-eight subjects(68%) reported constipation, twenty-six(63%) reported bad breath, twenty-one(51%) reported headache, four(10%) noted hair loss, and one woman(1%) reported increased menstrual bleeding."

NUFF SAID!
    That's opinion from a vegan not data.............where's the data. Anyone that's states something is a crisis is propoganda not science, scientists that don't have an agenda don't talk like that, they just record data and let other people disseminate it.....unless of course your pushing a diet with an agenda. Funny even though the study said it was safe, that just wouldn't sit well when someone has an opinion that is opposed. Anything degrogatory can be said about any diet on the planet when an agenda is on the line.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options

THE ATKINS CRISIS

NUFF SAID!
    That's opinion from a vegan not data.............where's the data. Anyone that's states something is a crisis is propoganda not science, scientists that don't have an agenda don't talk like that, they just record data and let other people disseminate it.....unless of course your pushing a diet with an agenda. Funny even though the study said it was safe, that just wouldn't sit well when someone has an opinion that is opposed. Anything degrogatory can be said about any diet on the planet when an agenda is on the line.

What data would you like to see? I have it all on hand.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The first sign that all is not rosy is that these obese subjects were severely restricting their calorie intake during the study. The average American consumes about 2, 250 calorues per day. When the study participants were on the diet , they consumed an average of 1, 450 calories per day. That's 35% fewer calories!

Indeed, when told to eat as much as they wanted the Atkins dieters, seeking to lose weight, voluntarily ate a lot less. Shock horror. The same thing happens in loads of studies back to the 70s and earlier.

If you try and do an ad-lib low carb study vs calorie restricted high carb you find the low carbers under-eating and the calorie botherers cheating to the extent that they reverse the intended calorie profile.
  • kickassketo
    kickassketo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You will find plenty of distinguished and well respected scientists refuting what you are stating here. Citing someone's credentials does not make what they say true. Nor does capitalizing the word SCIENTIST!1!!

Also, just because Atkins is low carb, does not mean that all low carb is Atkins. You need to do more reading.
  • neanderthin
    Options

THE ATKINS CRISIS

NUFF SAID!

The data that confirms that any low carb diet including atkins is bad and a danger to our health.......do you understand what data is?
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options

THE ATKINS CRISIS

NUFF SAID!

The data that confirms that any low carb diet including atkins is bad and a danger to our health.......do you understand what data is?

Well if you don't think constipation, bad breath, and hair loss is bad then I guess you can say it's not bad.
  • neanderthin
    Options

THE ATKINS CRISIS

NUFF SAID!

Well if you don't think constipation, bad breath, and hair loss is bad then I guess you can say it's not bad.
    LOL. We're not in the chit chat forum anymore, just in case you thought we were.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    Your point is?
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Your point is?
    Really? Where's the data? Anyway, I'm going to write this thread off as inconsequential and opinion based on limited knowledge of nutrition in general and leave it at that........cheers.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

"At some point" is the key phrase. The headaches occur in the first couple of weeks and pass, as does the acetone breath. People get hair loss on any and no diet. Reduced frequency of bowel movements is common, if that counts as constipation.

With the current Atkins plan the most restrictive phase has 12-15 grams of net carbs from low carb vegetables, so there's as much fibre as many eat on their typical diet if not more.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Does constipation count as data?

It could be expressed as =/= #2 or #2<, does that make it data?
  • kickassketo
    kickassketo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    But he said "bad breath"! Isn't that data enough!? /s

I'm out too.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    10% of the subjects reported hair loss in a 6 month period. That's a very convincing correlation.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    10% of the subjects reported hair loss in a 6 month period. That's a very convincing correlation.
    That why your a believer. Seriously though, a sentence that has 10% and correlation as being very convincing is well, confirmation that you drank the cool aid.:wink: