Who are we losing weight for... Really?

Options
3 weeks now. 3 weeks I've been weighing **** out and calorie counting. I've been jogging every day too. I feel great. I've lost nearly a stone. But I'm thinking who am I really losing the weight for?
Of course we all say 'it's for me' - but aren't we all doing it really so we feel sexy and acceptable? Acceptable to magazine ideals, to people we wish would love us if only we lost a few, etc...
It's all bull**** really, isn't it? We are the same however much we weigh - it's our minds and personalities that matter. Someone who is un-sexy and irritating at 18 stone will still be the same at 12 stone, there's just less of them to be irritated by?

Replies

• SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I actually started losing weight for my health. I couldn't climb stairs without panting, I couldn't run for longer than a minute, at 21 years old I was actually starting to have knee problems (that have entirely disappeared now, mind you). I had finally reached a point where I wanted to be healthy. All the other things are just extra benefits to it all.

I guess, though, for some being sexy is motivation. Just saying, not all of us.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Nope, I could care less about other people, if anything I'm doing it so I can live longer if for no other reason than to annoy the living dog snot out of everyone I come in contact with, which I take great joy in, hence, doing this for me.

Rigger
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight because I feel like crap at my current weight. I feel unhealthy, and my family is suffering with me. I do not care about appearing sexy for anyone except my husband. I'm losing weight for myself and my family.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I agree with "Them"....yes, certainly a good part of it is for looks... but mostly I think those who have been struggling for a good whileand dealing with a good amount of excess weight.. it IS about HEALTH!! Now of course there are those who are almost under weight already who wish to achieve under weight status who have a different set of goals!
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It REALLY is just for me, I saw my health deteriorating and I realized I didn't want to live out the rest of my life unhealthy.

Don't get me wrong, I do think I'll feel better about my appearance in the process, but even then I'll feel better for me, and not for Joe and Jane Schmo who have poor ideological view on beauty. I have significant other, friends and family who I love and support me. I have everything I NEED but health, and that's what I'm aiming for with the help of myfitnesspal. :flowerforyou:
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Nah. I'll never be sexy. I'll never be in a magazine. And that's not my ideal. I am not trying to become attractive for anyone. And I was perfectly acceptable as a human being when I was morbidly obese.

What I couldn't do was fit in airplane seats, carry the groceries in the house, walk the dogs, carry laundry baskets up/down the stairs, stand for any period of time, go for a walk on the beach, go for a bike ride with my son...

Now I can.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Number 1 reason is for my health. I had a scare recently when I lost the feeling in my toes and was discovered to have diabetes. Changing my diet and exercising are imperative to controlling this disease for the rest of my life. It was a wake up call to say the least. Good news is.. I can feel my toes again! :smile:

Number 2 is looking good, being able to buy cute clothes and being able to do the things I want without the hindrance of this extra weight. I'd love to learn to scuba but there's no way I'm getting into a wetsuit at this point. I am hoping to change that.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight for me and my kids. The more I do this though the more it is for me because I can see the positive benefits this lifestyle is providing.
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Because we love our significant other?
  • ChrisMayhew87
    ChrisMayhew87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight for myself, I want to feel better about myself.
    I got to a point when I said enough is enough and gave this site a try and hey it worked quite well!

65lb and counting! :)
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Probably 95% for me and the other 5% for my husband and daughter. I could have kept on the way I was, getting bigger and bigger, and more unhealthy by the day. I was lucky enough to not have suffered much in the way of obesity-related side-effects (mild fatty changes in my liver, varicose veins, snoring and joint problems were my main issues) but I'm sure had I kept going there would have been more problems down the track. I didn't want to be a fat wife and a fat mother. I want to have the health, energy and mobility to enjoy my family.

I also HATED having to buy size 16-18 clothes, I hated not being able to walk into stores and know if the clothes would fit me, I hated seeing myself in pictures. I no longer recognised the girl in the photos I saw and I didn't want to feel like that anymore.

I am so much happier and more confident in myself now. I'm better at what I do every day. I don't sit around all day, I'm not exhausted when I wake up (I am sure I probably had mild sleep apnoea as well as the snoring), I have energy to run around with my daughter, I play with her at the playground and go down the slides with her. I can buy the clothes I like, instead of the only clothes that fit. I have a little way to go before I'm satisfied, but I feel great!
  • fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    Options
    i do it to be able to pick up younger and hotter chicks. just being honest
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    All of my friends keep telling me I don't need to lose weight, that women look better with "meat" on them. Nope. It's definitely for me, not them. I got sick of being fat
  • wertgirlfor
    wertgirlfor Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm losing it for me. I was happy before I started losing weight, but I decided to lose the extra weight and learn portion control before it gets out of control.
  • ayyyemanda
    Options
    Personally, I'm doing it to feel better about my self and to feel healthier. A 19 year old girl should be able to run a few minutes without feeling like dying, (which I'm now capable of!) My body feels better when I exercise regularly, I feel more awake. Just eating the right foods and exercising can make you sleep better, have a more positive attitude, and so many other things. And if you think about it, you're not benefiting yourself by sitting on the couch eating potato chips. So why not? Plus I hate feeling insecure in a bikini. I miss being hot.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    My husband is freakin' delusional and thinks I'm sexy/can't keep his hands off, so I'm not losing the weight for him. My kids don't care because I play with them already. I couldn't really care less about the rest of the world because I'm well liked at work and live in the South where there are free roaming fatties like myself everywhere. So, I'm losing for me, 'cause I want to run really fast which is difficult when you're 300+ pounds.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I generally find trimmer women attractive, so want to be able to offer the same.
    Also helps with all sorts of stuff I like to do - climbing, bike riding (motor and mountain) - AND general long term health - grand parents have suffered with dementia and the like - my mum pointed out at some point that she hoped she wouldn't be so bad as she was making more of an effort to be healthy and that certainly does seem to help.
  • plankaddict
    Options
    I guess for some people could be like that. For some, many, it isn't. I get very extremely grumpy when I ate a lot and have one of those days I feel fat. Or when I actually put on weight. I become a worse person. Whereas when I feel skinny and fit, when I fall within my standards of beauty, I am very pleasant, fun, entertaining, lovable. Some of my friends behave similarly. Do you have this problem as well?
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    My husband is freakin' delusional and thinks I'm sexy/can't keep his hands off, so I'm not losing the weight for him. My kids don't care because I play with them already. I couldn't really care less about the rest of the world because I'm well liked at work and live in the South where there are free roaming fatties like myself everywhere. So, I'm losing for me, 'cause I want to run really fast which is difficult when you're 300+ pounds.

:laugh: :laugh: totally love the 'free roaming fatties in the south' comment. We're everywhere in Alabama!