Who are we losing weight for... Really?

Options

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I started for my health - avoiding diabetes and worried about a circulation problem.

I continued because I felt great - sexy and younger. My husband loved it. My friends were jealous (there I said it).

I found my students then responded to me completely differently.

I don't ever want to go back. I wish I had done this 10 years ago.
  • Balsam1951
    Options
    When I was a young woman I controlled my weight because I wanted to look hot. LOL Then I became a mom and lost a grip on my weight and ballooned up. I wasn't worried about being hot but I still worked on it because it made my 1st husband happy to have me trimmer. Now I'm in my 60's and if it wasn't for my lousy health I wouldn't care but lets face it being overweight is hard on our body systems. So now I do it to be healthy. My2nd husband is a dear he is over weight too and never complains about my being plump it really is a health concern for us both. So I think our need to loose weight varies with where we are in our lives.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it for myself and my own self respect.
    If you're doing it to impress someone else then more than likely you're destined to fail.
    YMMV....
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I did it for me. I love the way I look and feel. I have energy and stamina. I can go anywhere and do anything. My health is excellent. I'm way too old to care if other people think I'm hot or not, but if they do, I don't have a problem with it. My husband seems to like me whatever shape I'm in. :heart:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I do it for me. I enjoy running, biking, and lifting. I enjoy being able to keep up with my kids. I enjoy being able to say "yes" when I get invited to compete in a run, or hike, or any number of other activities.
  • Kurindal
    Kurindal Posts: 355
    Options
    I actually started losing weight for my girlfriend. She broke up with me a month and a half later (at the end of august). (I had lost almost 30 pounds at this point... I'm now at 85 with another 35 to go.)

Now I do it for me. I do it because it makes me feel good to see that scale come up with a lower number. Part of it is spite motivated, because I suspect my weight had something to do with the breakup. Part of it is because I know by losing weight I will be able to find someone I am very much attracted to. But above all that, I do it for my own happiness and well being.

The compliments don't hurt either.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Sure, wanting to be accepted is part of why I'm doing it...but I'm also motivated by other factors....like my future family. You see, I've had to watch my mom slowly die for a number of years from completely preventable health issues...and I'm not willing to do that to anybody else.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it for purely selfish and shallow purposes. Other's do it for health and stuff (Which is awesome) but that's not me. However being shallow and selfish doesn't mean it's not for 'me'. I want to look awesome and hot and what have you. Ergo it's for 'me'.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I started it because I wanted to look good in my wedding photos. I kept going after the wedding because I have a lot of health issues. I often feel at odds with my body. Losing weight, and starting to actually push my body to do athletic things makes me feel in control.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it for purely selfish and shallow purposes. Other's do it for health and stuff (Which is awesome) but that's not me. However being shallow and selfish doesn't mean it's not for 'me'. I want to look awesome and hot and what have you. Ergo it's for 'me'.

This.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I am doing it for me, I want to be happy looking in the mirror all the time, I want to look amazing in a bikini and have other people want my body. My spouse loves me and could care less about the extra weight. I have a sister in law who is one of the heavy lifting ladies and I look at her and want to be like her, I want other people to look at me and think the same way.

And for my health, I have seen the health problems my mom has (thyroid, RA, and other autoimmune diseases) and I am just waiting for the ball to drop on me. I need to be fit and healthy to be able to function through those diseases and not have them destroy my body and make me weak.

I want to be fit and healthy, I want to be able to hike up mountains, go mountain biking, horseback riding, skiing without it being difficult.

I don't want to keep buying new clothes because they are too tight. I want to buy new clothes because they look amazing on me and I can show my body off.

Some of it is superficial but most of it is not
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I am already healthy. Healthy BMI. I look fine.

I am doing it for vanity. I want a great body that turns heads. I want to wear anything and everything I want and have it look good.
    I want the strength that comes with exercising (mental and physical).
    I want to be proud when i look in the mirror.

No shame.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Who cares what reasons we start out with. Ultimately it's for ourselves - because we are on the way to better health and when we feel better, we look better.
  • mattgrenier9
    mattgrenier9 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight to look sexier, before I joined this site I was 200 pounds and had a high body fat percentage, now I am 175 lbs and have a 16% body fat percentage but I hope to reach that 10.8% to show off the abs that woman melt over
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I wasn't overweight when I started, I just wasn't at my potential-- not even close. I did it because I was tired of not looking as hot as I knew I could. I was tired of taking the lazy way out and settling for less then my potential. I was tired of using a back surgery as an excuse to sit on my couch.

I now enjoy what I see in the mirror.

I enjoy the changes I see in my fitness levels, and the increased fitness I have in comparison to my past 32 years.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    1. for my health
    2 because I like it
    3 to look great

and having cancer will kind of change your whole mind set about health and fitness….
  • Kaddehawk
    Options
    I am definitely doing this for ME! I consider it a fight for my life. I have multiple health problems, some genetic, some not...almost all of which will be improved when I get the excess weight off. Right now my every moment is filled with pain - and I am talking physical at the moment. Hyper-mobility syndrome has caused premature degeneration in most of my joints. That is one source out of several...don't worry, I'm not going to list them all! I want my Life Back! I want to be able to get out and do things I enjoy without worrying about what it will cost me. I want to enjoy things with my grand kids. And...I want to see them all grow up, maybe get married, and have kids of their own! (preferably in that order! lol) I also want to feel good about how I look, to be able to buy clothes that fit good and look good on me, but even that is for me and no one else. As far as what other people think? bah humbug!
  • michelleacohen
    michelleacohen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a strong tendency for type 2 diabetes in my family. I lost the weight not only to look and feel better, but really because I did not want that disease to strike me too, Constantly monitoring my blood sugar, injecting myself, UGH! I know it is under my control to prevent this, so I took control. Lost 12 pounds so far and I'm at a healthy weight now.

Being fat is more than not "socially acceptable," it's very unhealthy (but you knew that). Stay positive!
    Michelle
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    No matter what, we all lose for ourselves.

Wear cuter clothes? For yourself.
    Get healthier? For yourself.
    Set a good example? For yourself, because you are filling something that you perceive as a personal responsibility.
    Bang Jonny Depp or young chicks? Still to get yourself off.
    Even if you're a model and have to do it as your job, you want that paycheck. It's for you.
  • ironclaw79
    ironclaw79 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I want to lose weight so that I can wear better clothes. i am tired of having big bums and boobs. And yes, I am a man.