Who are we losing weight for... Really?

Options

Replies

• plankaddict
    Options
    I hate that expression! "with meat on"! that's such an old fashioned way of thinking. Not saying some girls can't pull off a rounder body (ex: Kat Dennings), but they are not very many. Meat looks good on very few people. Most of us humans are way better when thin.
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am not doing this for anyone else but me. I am unhappy being overweight, I am in a lot of pain with back and leg problems, and my weight is only exacerbating that. I know that the lighter I am, the less pain I am in, the better mobility I have and the happier I will be. Pain is depressing and dealing with it everyday on top of my own self inflicted weight problems makes me an unhappier person in general.

I am not losing weight to look sexy in a bikini, after 5 kids and multiple operations I will never be bikini ready LOL my hubby doesn't care how much I weigh and loves me regardless, so it's not for him either. And to be honest if I were in a relationship that was balanced on how hot I was I think I'd have a few more serious problems than a few extra pounds. :/ I don't care about magazine pics and their ideals, I live in the real world.

I lost a lot of weight years ago in my mid 20's and I did it for all the wrong reasons then, which is why I'm back here now. But I did learn the lesson that my weight doesn't define who I am, and does not change me as a person. It may change others perception of me, but that's on them and has no impact on how I go about my day.

I am comfortable in who I am as a person, I don't need to meet societies unrealisic ideals of health to feel accepted. Maybe its something that comes with time and experience, when I was in my early 20's I saw judgement and took it personally, now I see the same judgement and I really couldn't give a f**k about it.
  • katierrt
    katierrt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    definitely for my health! I don't want to have a heart attack and I'd rather modify my lifestyle than have a big scar down my chest! j/s.....I don't want to hear a doc tell me I have heart disease that could have been prevented! I will do what it takes for however long it takes to change my destiny and avoid a fate like my grandfather's....
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it for my dad. He needs a kidney. It started out that if I turned out to be a match I would still need to be under a certain BMI in order for them to operate so I figured I might as well get started so I wouldn't get through all the testing just to find out I'd have to then lose weight to get any further. Since my blood pressure has gone up with the weight loss though, now it's a matter of making sure I'm doing every single thing "they" say you're supposed to in order to reverse that.....do buttloads of cardio, eat the "right" fats and cut out the "wrong" ones, reduced sodium......all that adds up to more weight loss....which is another thing you're "supposed" to do (though considering the trend, I'm tempted to believe that's what's got me in this pickle at this point). I guess we'll see how it all pans out.

To be honest, I've never felt less "sexy". lol. I liked me when I was bigger. It is annoying when people act like you're a completely different person just because your fat cells are smaller. Fat Me and Less Fat Me are the same person and I feel like I am not honouring how awesome Fat Me was every time someone gives me a compliment for losing weight and I have to say "thank you" or agree to their comments that I'm looking "so much better now" just to get them to stop talking. Blech. I wish that if people feel it necessary to comment at all (which it REALLY isn't....you COULD just treat me like I'm the same person you've talked to every other time we've interacted....cuz I am) just say "wow, you're looking different". At least THAT's true and not subjective. Done and done.

Ok. Rant over :D
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My husband is freakin' delusional and thinks I'm sexy/can't keep his hands off, so I'm not losing the weight for him. My kids don't care because I play with them already. I couldn't really care less about the rest of the world because I'm well liked at work and live in the South where there are free roaming fatties like myself everywhere. So, I'm losing for me, 'cause I want to run really fast which is difficult when you're 300+ pounds.

I hear ya on the delusional husband! ????
  • zealey77
    zealey77 Posts: 104
    Options
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, who you trying to convince? ME OR YOU?
  • jenni_d1990
    jenni_d1990 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking not too long ago and I want to be healthy. My wonderful boyfriend thinks I'm perfect but I would love to lose the weight I've gained from being an alcoholic. I know how wonderful it feels and I want that feeling back.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Myself. I want to look hot and badass and being an Iron God.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options

Do you really believe that everyone on this site just wants to look like some cookie-cutter model of what society has deemed to be perfect and sexy?
  • bethyv1030
    bethyv1030 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I really hated what I saw when I looked in the mirror! I used to love my body when I was in shape. I could no longer shop at the stores I used to and buying clothes which used to be my favorite thing to do became depressing. I can't deny that wanting other ppl to find me attractive motivates me, but I am definitely losing weight to feel good about myself!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I lost 60lbs+ when I was a teenager and into my 20s. Back then I lost weight to look better....and feel better about myself. At that time, it was mostly about me and improving my self-esteem...and partially to be more attractive.

I've been working on fitness and improving my diet and health overall since I've had kids. I want to set a good example for my kids. So this time, it's for my kids.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Well, you asked the question so I kinda thought you wanted answers.

I'm losing weight to get doctors to pay attention to my health problems (possible glaucoma, HBP, menopause).
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's all bull**** really, isn't it? We are the same however much we weigh...

You sure about that?

The forums are full of testimonials from people who feel *much* better about themselves after achieving improved levels of fitness and health. And it s a common meme that people who like themselves are generally nicer to others, too.

So I'm not convinced your starting assumption is valid.

Coupled with the biological reality that there are very very good reasons for others to prefer fit, healthy looking individuals, and I'd say your question is answered...

IMO, etc.
    Someone who is un-sexy and irritating at 18 stone will still be the same at 12 stone, there's just less of them to be irritated by?

I've seen too many transformations, including my own, that evidence otherwise.
  • BrandyLeeShumway
    Options
    I am not losing weight to fit in with any ones ideals of sexy or anything like that. My husband is the only one that would need to matter to and he does not care if I lose weight or not. I am losing weight for my kids and that is my main reason. I want to be able to live a long and healthy life for my kids. I want to be able to run and play and swing with my kids as they grow. I want to be able to take them on bike rides and walks and not be tired after just a few minutes. I want them to grow up proud of me and learning from me the right way to eat and that exercise is good for them. My kids are my every thing and my inspiration and the motivation that keeps me moving on. I am also doing this for me. I want to be able to live long enough to see my grandchildren (years down the road) I want to be able to walk up a flight of stairs with out being out of breath or to be able to go to an amusement park with my family and know that I am going to be able to fit into the rides. I am doing this for my kids and myself.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 40lbs to get my glucose number under control (done). Lost 18 more pounds after that to rock a swim suit, while out on our sail boat, (also done). I'm healthy, happy and life is good :drinker:
  • Spicei21
    Options
    I am with all the others. I am losing weight for my health, myself, and to be around for my husband. I have only recently started using myfitnesspal but I have lost a 109 pounds and I am not stopping until I am at a happy spot for me and feel at my best. I have lowered my triglycerides, blood pressure, and I am not longer at risk at being coming diabetic. We all have our reasons for wanting to become healthier and happier. To many people try and lose weight to fast, to me that is not a good way to get where you want to be. Slow and steady is the way to be. My goal this year is to lose 1 pound a week. If I do that then I am on my way to being where I want to be in goals but I know the smaller I get the harder it is going to be to lose that one pound a week. I am ready for that to. As long as I stay successful and even lose just a .some of a pound I am going to be happy. I hope you can find the reason you started and get back to trying to become a happier person with who you are. We are worth the effort we put it to our self.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    First and foremost - me.

Also for -

My kids, because they'll follow my example way more than my words.
    My wife, because she needs me, and I'd like to be around for her as long as I can.
    My late mum, because she brought me into this world, invested a great deal of love, time and money in me, and I owe it to her to give a return on that investment.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm not losing weight for me I'm getting healthy for me there's a big difference.
  • breakhearts
    breakhearts Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't know about y'all, but I'm losing weight for clothes. ;)
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I am mostly doing it for health reasons, I don't want to get gallstones (after my 7 year senior brother needed an operation) and slow weight loss plus increased exercise are the best for reducing risk of gallstones, and also I get less symptoms of depression when I eat right and exercise lots. Probably mostly from exercise.

But yeah, in terms of wanting to improve how I look, I admit it is partly so others think I look good, but my primary motivation is my own health.

I want to be happy and healthy. :P