men... own your height, don't lie about it...

Options

Replies

• Kurindal
    Kurindal Posts: 355
    Options
    I'm 6'5", and I actually find it uncomfortable the way it draws attention to me most of the time. I'm naturally heavily introverted. I can put on a really REALLY good act of extroversion, but I had to work really hard on social anxiety stemming from bullying and issues fitting in during high school to get to that point. On top of that, it makes a lot of things super awkward, many of which are every day things average people don't have to think about. I can never get in a serious car accident, otherwise my legs will probably need amputation at the knee, because my knees are jammed against the dashboard (I have a '98 Rav4 and no money for a new car). I automatically pay 30% more for clothes. If don't fit in many houses (I've literally knocked myself unconscious on a doorframe once). I have some pretty significant lower back pain at times from leaning over on counters, so low counters are an issue too.

That being said, I own the **** out of being tall now, but it has to be a conscious effort every time I do. I used to actually shave an inch off when I told people how tall I was. No more, I'm proud of who I am capable of being. I still have to retreat within myself and convince myself that the world isn't lying to me when they compliment my height, though, but i'm sure that will change with time. Confidence isn't always something that's tied to height. It's tied to the successes you've had in your life. Hang on to every success, and you'll be more confident.

On a side note, please don't ask me the following questions:
    Do you play basketball? (no, do you play minigolf?)
    How's the weather up there? (Fine, how's the air by my balls?)

and please refrain from comments that ... don't really have a legitimate response, for example.
    "Wow, you're so tall!" .... Thanks? I worked really hard on it for (X) years while I grew?

edit:
    And for god's sake, don't use me as a god damned meeting point if you haven't met me before. (Yes, I've had a random stranger come up to me and say "Hey, tall guy, can you, like, not move? I told my friends to meet by you, because you're easy to see" ... )
  • bigbarnold
    bigbarnold Posts: 2,554 Member
    Options
    Well... I'll just say 6'5. And yes I will help you reach that.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Ok so I just have to point this out....Men, if you say you are 6 foot tall, BE six foot tall. If you are 5ft5, but claim to be 5ft9.... women will diss you for lying, not for being 5ft5. What is the point in lying about your height?

ROFL step out of your stilts er heals

Heels to enhance their height, makeup to enhance their appearance, wonder bras to enhance their physical assets. :laugh:

No deception there.

Need to bring back the stuffed codpiece.

sick-burn-morpheus.jpg
  • urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    <
    I'm 95 pixels. I'll be bigger if you make me your wallpaper...no lie!
  • Kurindal
    Kurindal Posts: 355
    Options
    Ok so I just have to point this out....Men, if you say you are 6 foot tall, BE six foot tall. If you are 5ft5, but claim to be 5ft9.... women will diss you for lying, not for being 5ft5. What is the point in lying about your height?

ROFL step out of your stilts er heals

Heels to enhance their height, makeup to enhance their appearance, wonder bras to enhance their physical assets. :laugh:

No deception there.

Need to bring back the stuffed codpiece.

sick-burn-morpheus.jpg

Eh, it wasn't that great.

Heels aren't meant to enhance height, they're meant to accentuate calves and butt.

I'll be speaking in generalities here, so these aren't true across the board for everyone, but there is a lot of scientific evidence for the following:

And human sexual attraction is a lot different than just comparing physical to physical. Men are largely attracted to physical characteristics, so women accentuate physical assets: boobs, butt, face, hair. They're all biological signals of health and well being, something that is important to men, anthropologically speaking, when choosing a mate. They want to find someone capable of carrying several offspring, and surviving a long time to be able to rear these children.

Women on the other hand, have a much wider viewpoint of what is physically attractive in a male. Personality, and often carrying from personality, status, and more intangible aspects of a person are more important. Is he good at identifying and taking advantage of key social cues (humor, for example)? Is he capable of asserting himself when necessary? Is he TOO aggressive, and thus a danger to others and potentially himself (i.e. won't survive to help raise children, provide food, etc.)? Is he lazy? Does he command respect? Many of these traits often result in status, which increased offspring survival chance. So the male equivalent of heels and a wonderbra is closer to being around his bros and bragging about his accomplishments than anything physically based.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Wait...are you talking about pen!s?

niiiice.
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    So do I list my height with or without shoes?

sTePaDlm.jpg
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever had a man lie about his height to me. Of course I don't walk up to people and ask their height either.... I look at them and can see that they are either taller, the same size, or shorter than me... either way it doesn't make any difference to me. (Actually, I am one of those women who thinks shorter guys are a turn on... but don't tell my husband that, he is taller than me!)
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I said I was 5'8" (from a doctor report) until I was 44 and measured shorter. Maybe I shrunk?

Similar thing happened to me. One height all my adult life and then go to the docs at 44 and somewhere I lost 3/4 of an inch! LOL
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options

sTePaDlm.jpg

You're not doing it right.

c23a8b799f102859fa0832085551c58d.png
  • dpdsouza
    Options
    Going by your post, it seems like women NEVER lie about their height. Sorry but in my experience it is absolutely not true. i had a arranged marriage, exchange profiles, meet the girl , meet the parents and all that. And if there is one thing I learnt after two dozen such meets: subtract two inches from the height a girl mentions in her profile. And what you get might still be her height with five inch platforms.
  • MarliQQ
    MarliQQ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    What girl lies about their height?? We may lie about weight, but I don't know any that add or subtract inches from their actual height...
  • _db_
    Options

sTePaDlm.jpg

I totally don't have the legs to pull off THOSE shoes! ... yet.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options

sTePaDlm.jpg

Send me the jpegs to monitor your progress! -clicks tongue-
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5"11 .. I have no reason to lie.. pretty damn tall for an Asian.
  • _db_
    Options

Send me the jpegs to monitor your progress! -clicks tongue-

Be careful what you ask for! ;-P
  • cyrilmacduff
    Options
    I've met several men from dating sites, and the number of them who claim to be 6' (and aren't even close) is just astounding. So I guess they don't realize that I can tell they were lying? 5'9" or 5'10" is not 6'. Hell, I'm not even 6' tall myself (just a bit under) so when I show up--in flats, as usual--they look at me like I grew a second head. And of course they make a rude comment about my height after expressing shock at how tall I am. If they lie about something that simple, what else are they lying about?

No thanks. I don't do online dating anymore, but if I did, I'd regard any man who puts 6' in his profile with great suspicion.

I will date shorter men. Well, at least 5'8". But that's only because I'm so tall myself. And just because women have lied about their weight, it doesn't excuse men who lie about their height.
  • bigbarnold
    bigbarnold Posts: 2,554 Member
    Options
    I really don't know why anyone would lie about their height? I'm sure the person they lied to will notice..
  • 294Rich
    294Rich Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    There is some data somewhere that says on dating websites, men lie about their height, by saying they are a little taller than they are.

And women lie about their size, saying they are a little bit smaller than they are.

When I was younger and single, I went on a dating website and told the truth about my height (5ft 8). I was screened out automatically by the women who wanted someone taller. My exceedingly ugly, but 6 foot mate got more attention, just because he was taller.

So, what should I have done? Lied, like everyone else? I didn't, but maybe I should have done.
  • 294Rich
    294Rich Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Interesting alternative points of view from cyrilmacduff and me, here!