Too much avocado??

Options
1235»

Replies

• FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have 2 ready to be made into a yummy Avocado Chocolate Mousse right now. Can't wait. So creamy and delicious!

:love: do you have the recipe???

Sure. Enjoy!
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/03/chocolate-mousse-lc-sf-2.html
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    too much avocado CAN throw you off.. an actual serving of avocado is 1/8th of the whole.. that's about the size of your THUMB.
    it's a great spreadable fat though...

A serving is how much you eat of it. I eat the whole thing. :smokin:

This ^ ^ literally laughed out loud. Me only eating half of the avocado is torture but I try not to over indulge

To me it's like being wasteful. I would never eat half a piece of fruit, unless I'm ill.

I save the other half in a ziplock in the fridge. I wouldn't just toss it away, that is wasteful lol

But doesn't it get icky?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I'm really curious if this varies wildly from place to place...because in my area, Aldi and another supermarket sell avocadoes for less than a buck...sometimes you can get 2 or even 3 for a buck.

And I don't live anywhere near avocado-growing operations...I'm in southern Missouri here...

Are they stupid pricey elsewhere? I do know sometimes other supermarkets will charge a couple dollars apiece or for special varieties...

Here in western MO, you'd have to go to Aldi's or Sav-A-Lot to get it for a buck on a regular basis. They are never ripe though, so all the waiting makes me anxious.

Sometimes HyVee has good ripe ones for a buck.

Pop one into a brown paper bag, put it in the cabinet overnight or a little longer for really under-ripe ones. Works like a charm! I buy the super under-ripe ones when I see them on sale (a buck a piece this last weekend!), keep them in the fridge until I need to ripen one in the bag

Nice tip! :flowerforyou:
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    In for avocados!!

I usually eat 1-2/week. Spread on toast with S&P or sliced in a salad or sandwich. If it fits in your day I wouldn't worry about it!

Edited to add: In CO they run usually about $1 ea. Also, great tip on the paper bag!
  • handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Wish we could get Avocado's for $1... here in West Australia we pay $2-$3 each for a good sized Haas...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    too much avocado CAN throw you off.. an actual serving of avocado is 1/8th of the whole.. that's about the size of your THUMB.

This ^ ^ literally laughed out loud. Me only eating half of the avocado is torture but I try not to over indulge

To me it's like being wasteful. I would never eat half a piece of fruit, unless I'm ill.

I save the other half in a ziplock in the fridge. I wouldn't just toss it away, that is wasteful lol

But doesn't it get icky?

If you leave the pit in the other half, it will keep for the next day...not going to last much beyond that, but I generally only have 1/2 of an avocado and pretty much every day..so I either split that half with my wife or I eat it the next day. After a day it will start turning on you...also, this depends a little bit on how ripe it is to begin with...if it's just right it will last...if it's overly ripe it won't and will be brown by the next day. I prefer mine not quite perfectly ripe...just a tiny bit under ripe.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I have 2 ready to be made into a yummy Avocado Chocolate Mousse right now. Can't wait. So creamy and delicious!

Sure. Enjoy!

Hmm....I don't do sugar-free and coconut oil is too expensive....I'm thinking normal Hershey's syrup and then veggie oil? Yep. Other than that, sounds good.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

But doesn't it get icky?

If you leave the pit in the other half, it will keep for the next day...not going to last much beyond that, but I generally only have 1/2 of an avocado and pretty much every day..so I either split that half with my wife or I eat it the next day. After a day it will start turning on you...also, this depends a little bit on how ripe it is to begin with...if it's just right it will last...if it's overly ripe it won't and will be brown by the next day. I prefer mine not quite perfectly ripe...just a tiny bit under ripe.

Maybe that was the issue I had before...I didn't leave the pit in it. Nobody else in my family likes avocado. But I generally have no problems fitting in a whole one. Like, if it's for lunch, then that *is* my lunch, with a bit of diced tomato and onions and garlic.
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    A) If it fits your goal then it fits your goal. End of story.

2) All avacado is too much avacado

In Conclusion: accusing people of being turds in your opening statement is sure to bring in people who act like turds.

whoah sensitive! Relax

Do I seem as if I'm not relaxed? As opposed to one who assumes people are going to be turds from the outset?

I see.

Avocados = more turds

Does this mean avocado tastes like crap? Because I'm inclined to agree.

*Raining on the avocado parade since that first unfortunate taste in 2005*

h8r . . .

It's clearly my lack of a sense of humor at play. :wink:

Clearly. Avocados = less butthurt

And in this scenario butthurt is of course not demanding that people not 'fight' in the very first post, before any hint of arguing breaks out, but in pointing out that demanding such things is only going to bring about such things. Though in most conventional definitions it would the OP who was displaying butthurt from the get go by assuming/warding against behavior that had yet to develop. :tongue:

Today I have learned new ways to use both playful and butthurt. MFP, so educational.

Avocado is still gross.

Actually, asking people to not argue around here makes sense to me. The butthurt is strong around here. More people should IIFYM to avoid butthurt. :bigsmile:

I think asking people not to argue from the get go is silly, especially when you could just not say what you clearly believe to be an inflammatory phrase/statement and avoid it.

OP says: I love avocado, am I eating too much

Someone says: If it fits you eats.

End thread.

Op says: I love avocado, it's got good fats, don't be a turd and argue about good vs bad fats!, am I eating too much.

Jpegs and Gifs follow

Posts in a thread about avocados to tell errone how much avocados suck.

Avocahdoes = Serius Bidness.

Very serious. See how serious I am.

I mean I started with A-2-In conclusion. That practically reeks of seriousness.

Word. But would you have posted AT ALL but for your seething hatred for avocados?

They have the feels too, you know.
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options

Sure. Enjoy!

Hmm....I don't do sugar-free and coconut oil is too expensive....I'm thinking normal Hershey's syrup and then veggie oil? Yep. Other than that, sounds good.

That's a shame because this recipe is healthy for you. It's a good excuse to have mousse and not be at all guilty! :)

You can substitute the coconut oil. All it really does is help emulsify the dry ingredients while you're mixing them together.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    A) If it fits your goal then it fits your goal. End of story.

2) All avacado is too much avacado

In Conclusion: accusing people of being turds in your opening statement is sure to bring in people who act like turds.

whoah sensitive! Relax

Do I seem as if I'm not relaxed? As opposed to one who assumes people are going to be turds from the outset?

I see.

Avocados = more turds

Does this mean avocado tastes like crap? Because I'm inclined to agree.

*Raining on the avocado parade since that first unfortunate taste in 2005*

h8r . . .

It's clearly my lack of a sense of humor at play. :wink:

Clearly. Avocados = less butthurt

And in this scenario butthurt is of course not demanding that people not 'fight' in the very first post, before any hint of arguing breaks out, but in pointing out that demanding such things is only going to bring about such things. Though in most conventional definitions it would the OP who was displaying butthurt from the get go by assuming/warding against behavior that had yet to develop. :tongue:

Today I have learned new ways to use both playful and butthurt. MFP, so educational.

Avocado is still gross.

Actually, asking people to not argue around here makes sense to me. The butthurt is strong around here. More people should IIFYM to avoid butthurt. :bigsmile:

I think asking people not to argue from the get go is silly, especially when you could just not say what you clearly believe to be an inflammatory phrase/statement and avoid it.

End thread.

Op says: I love avocado, it's got good fats, don't be a turd and argue about good vs bad fats!, am I eating too much.

Jpegs and Gifs follow

Posts in a thread about avocados to tell errone how much avocados suck.

Avocahdoes = Serius Bidness.

Very serious. See how serious I am.

I mean I started with A-2-In conclusion. That practically reeks of seriousness.

Word. But would you have posted AT ALL but for your seething hatred for avocados?

They have the feels too, you know.

Of course. I'm a 'eat the damn food' welcome wagon. Any question about people eating stuff I will happily answer with "if it fits eat it." Even with avacado.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I'm really curious if this varies wildly from place to place...because in my area, Aldi and another supermarket sell avocadoes for less than a buck...sometimes you can get 2 or even 3 for a buck.

And I don't live anywhere near avocado-growing operations...I'm in southern Missouri here...

Are they stupid pricey elsewhere? I do know sometimes other supermarkets will charge a couple dollars apiece or for special varieties...

What?!!! :noway:

I just paid 3 for $2 last week. (NY) :grumble: I am jealous of your prices. :sad:
  • cactuswax
    cactuswax Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The only thing that will sabotage your weight loss goals is eating too many calories. Avocados are a nutrient dense whole food...just think about that for a second and let that sink in...it's a nutrient dense whole food. Yes, it's high calorie, but calories have nothing to do with nutritional value. The avocado is a nutritional power house...but like anything, you have to fit it into your calorie goals.

There is no argument about fat either...dietary fat is an essential macro-nutrient...it is essential to proper nervous system function, hormone balance, brain function and numerous other things.

Again, exceeding your calories will be the problem, not so much the foods you choose to eat...I eat 1/2 an avocado pretty much daily for it's heart health benefits among other things.

There's your answer. I eat at LEAST half an avocado a day (Im lucky enough to work in an office that has them like water for the taking) and I'm not gaining. People get so hung up on fats... it's about total calories in and burning them off.
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm learning loads of ideas about avocados from this post. And a yummy new chocolate mousse recipe. I like turkey and avocado salad. I also mix some up sometimes with my chocolate protein shakes, makes them super creamy! My husband makes the yummiest guacamole too! Unfortunately, it's so good I can down it like there's no tomorrow, so I haven't tried it since starting a calorie deficit.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options

But doesn't it get icky?

Maybe that was the issue I had before...I didn't leave the pit in it. Nobody else in my family likes avocado. But I generally have no problems fitting in a whole one. Like, if it's for lunch, then that *is* my lunch, with a bit of diced tomato and onions and garlic.

The problem is oxidation. Coat the exposed cut surface of the remaining avocado with citrus juice (I use lemon or lime if I have it, but orange or grapefruit will work), cover the surface tightly with plastic wrap, and seal in the smallest air-tight container (plastic bag or plastic or glass container with tight lid that will hold it. Leaving the pit in and the skin on gives you less exposed surface to worry about. If it still gets a little brown before you eat the rest, use a spoon to scrape off the discolored surface; what's underneath should be OK.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

End thread.

Jpegs and Gifs follow

I said I know too much of a good thing can be a bad thing and asked for general insight on the subject of avocados. I didn't want this to turn into one person berates and trashes another on the basis of the "good vs bad fats argument" like I've seen on several other feeds. I said don't be a turd in the OP in a light hearted and humorous way which you twisted because you apparently need attention. After this I'm going back to ignoring you because you are simply an irritation.

A big thanks to all the non turds who actually took this post for what it was supposed to be! You guys rock!

OP grow up.

Also, Demoulas doesn't exist.
    Its all Market Basket now due to the family fued.
    Hasnt been Demoulas since the mid 90s

Grow up? I asked people to be mature and not argue and I need to grow up?
    And Its Demoulas Market Basket....mydemoulas.com it can be called either or just and fyi
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Sure. Enjoy!

That's a shame because this recipe is healthy for you. It's a good excuse to have mousse and not be at all guilty! :)

You can substitute the coconut oil. All it really does is help emulsify the dry ingredients while you're mixing them together.

I feel guilty if I eat sugar-free things. Sugar is healthy in moderation. :flowerforyou: