12346»

Replies

• bhsishtla
    bhsishtla Posts: 151 Member
    Options
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Just that that's what I've read. And here we are all worrying about not getting enough.
    [

quote]
    They say Americans eat too much protein, you know..........
    And your point is?
    [/quote]
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Just that that's what I've read. And here we are all worrying about not getting enough.
    And your point is?
    Oh, ok. Well, we're not talking about what the average American needs or gets, we're talking about this person's specific macro goals. And just because the rest of the world doesn't appear to care about preserving lean body mass, so long as they weigh a certain amount or wear a certain size, that doesn't mean we don't. In actual fact, preserving lean body mass while in a calorie deficit requires more protein than the "high" amount that is recommended for the average American. It's not politically correct, because it usually means a higher meat consumption, but the way I figure it, it's nobody's business but my own what my macro ratio is.

I know that's not what you said, but I get a bit prickly about the implication that I'm somehow bringing about impending doom by eating as much protein as I do. I spent years losing muscle mass and getting weak as a vegetarian. It's my turn to get crazy strong as a carnivore now. (Everybody else is free to do it their way, of course!)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure where my ideal weight is or what my LBM is.. but i'm 5'10" and think 160 is probably close. So that's what I aim for. I usually do get more though. I've gained weight, but not pants size.. so i guess something is working. I just need to figure out the rest of it..
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I don't now how much protein you eat, and I would not begin to tell you how much you should eat. I just remembered looking for info on the amount of protein I should eat, and seeing that. Not really sure why I posted the comment....

And your point is?
    Oh, ok. Well, we're not talking about what the average American needs or gets, we're talking about this person's specific macro goals. And just because the rest of the world doesn't appear to care about preserving lean body mass, so long as they weigh a certain amount or wear a certain size, that doesn't mean we don't. In actual fact, preserving lean body mass while in a calorie deficit requires more protein than the "high" amount that is recommended for the average American. It's not politically correct, because it usually means a higher meat consumption, but the way I figure it, it's nobody's business but my own what my macro ratio is.

I know that's not what you said, but I get a bit prickly about the implication that I'm somehow bringing about impending doom by eating as much protein as I do. I spent years losing muscle mass and getting weak as a vegetarian. It's my turn to get crazy strong as a carnivore now. (Everybody else is free to do it their way, of course!)