Gluten. Dairy. Sugar.

Options

Replies

• HollyJoy07
    HollyJoy07 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Celiac is a genetic Auto Immune Disease that has been around forever.

"Some 8,000 years after its onset, celiac disease was identified and named. A clever Greek physician named Aretaeus of Cappadocia, living in the first century AD, wrote about “The Coeliac Affection.” In fact, he named it “koiliakos” after the Greek word “koelia” (abdomen). His description: “If the stomach be irretentive of the food and if it pass through undigested and crude, and nothing ascends into the body, we call such persons coeliacs”." http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/SU07CeliacCtr.News_.pdf

Wheat has been genetically modified in the last 100 years, which has caused a lot more problems with many people, but Celiac has always been around. It was documented in 1st Century AD, the Bible (wasting disease), 17th Century and on...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Vodoo LOL. Way to judge people with out knowing their medical history. May be OP is insulin resistant, the people who develop insulin resistance do worse with sugars. There is no moderation involved there because of spike in blood sugar. Just because you read something on internet doesn't make you expert. What works for some may not work for other.

Your response to what I posted makes no sense. I didn't judge the OP even in the slightest, My entire post was about arguing with medical science, heck I even wished her well on her journey and offered congratulations for the success she did/will have.. so let's not be silly here. Also, OP mentioned nothing about any medical issues but suggested others engage in her activity which could be harmful... And I didn't just "read something on the internet"... Medical science doesn't change because it was in type or hand written. It's science not a fitness blog.

What harmful stuff are you talking about? I don't see any problems with some one cutting out candy and processed sugar.

I believe OP said she was cutting out ALL sugar and then labeled it "Evil"….that is where people took exception…The counter argument to that is you can eat all three of the food groups she labeled - evil - (I know I do) and you can lose weight and meet your healthy goals...

I don't see it as OP saying he cut all foods which have sugar. Its hard to eat a no sugar diet. Processed carbs are as good as sugars and people who eat real foods like veggies and fruits are better off.
    OP - specifically labeled gluten, sugar, and dairy "evil" and did not qualify different forms of sugar.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    So 6 out of 10 people are lactose intolerant? I don't believe it. I've met *one* lactose intolerant person in my whole life, and I'm nearly 40.

Here you are:
    Lactose intolerance is fairly common. It seems to affect guys and girls equally. Some ethnic groups are more likely to be affected than others because their diets traditionally include fewer dairy products: Almost all Asians and Native Americans are lactose intolerant, and up to 80% of African Americans and Hispanic Americans also have symptoms of lactose intolerance. Their ancestors did not eat dairy foods, so their bodies were not prepared to digest dairy, and they passed these genes on from generation to generation.
    http://kidshealth.org/teen/food_fitness/nutrition/lactose_intolerance.html#

Another:
    If you're American or European it's hard to realize this, but being able to digest milk as an adult is one weird genetic adaptation.

It's not normal. Somewhat less than 40% of people in the world retain the ability to digest lactose after childhood. The numbers are often given as close to 0% of Native Americans, 5% of Asians, 25% of African and Caribbean peoples, 50% of Mediterranean peoples and 90% of northern Europeans. Sweden has one of the world's highest percentages of lactase tolerant people.
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/science/2009-08-30-lactose-intolerance_N.htm

This one breaks it down statistically for you:
    http://www.statisticbrain.com/lactose-intolerance-statistics/
    Approximately 75 % of Earths population is lactose intolerant for a reason, that’s because it’s perfectly natural. - See more at: http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/04/03/over-75-of-earths-population-is-lactose-intolerant-for-a-reason-dairy-is-harmful/#sthash.h0dsgNe4.dpuf
    http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/04/03/over-75-of-earths-population-is-lactose-intolerant-for-a-reason-dairy-is-harmful/

Some people have it worse then others. While some have very mild symptoms they may not even recognize. For others, it is painful and can affect their every day life.
    Selection bias.

Most white people are lactose tolerant. Most non-white people are not. The vast majority of people of Asian (especially eastern and southern Asia) or African descent are not lactose tolerant.

You are both 1/2 right & 1/2 wrong. Her % for Northern European (i.e caucasians) is ridiculously high, while Johnny has the race profile reversed.

This information is straight from the American Academy of Pediatrics:

"In populations with a predominance of dairy foods in the diet, particularly northern European people, as few as 2% of the population has primary lactase deficiency. In contrast, the prevalence of primary lactase deficiency is 50% to 80% in Hispanic people, 60% to 80% in black and Ashkenazi Jewish people, and almost 100% in Asian and American Indian people."

Note the incidence in those of Northern European descent is <2%!

Next, an intolerance isn't the same as an allergy. If you are "intolerant," you don't have adequate quantities of the lactase enzyme to digest large quantities of lactose, BUT it doesn't mean you can't have any. Folks who are lactose intolerant can digest limited amounts of lactose, especially if supplemented with additional lactase. From the AAP:

"When children are diagnosed with lactose intolerance, avoidance of milk and other dairy products will relieve symptoms. However, those with primary lactose intolerance have varying degrees of lactase deficiency and, correspondingly, often tolerate varying amounts of dietary lactose. Lactose-intolerant children (and their parents) should realize that ingestion of dairy products resulting in symptoms generally leads to transient symptoms without causing harm to the gastrointestinal tract (as compared with celiac disease or allergic reactions, including milk-protein intolerance, that can lead to ongoing inflammation and mucosal damage). Although lactose malabsorption does not predispose to calcium malabsorption,44 avoidance of milk products to control symptoms may be problematic for optimal bone mineralization. Children who avoid milk have been documented to ingest less-than-recommended amounts of calcium needed for normal bone calcium accretion and bone mineralization.45,46

Lactose-free and lactose-reduced milks (and lactose-free whole milk for children younger than 2 years) are widely available in supermarkets and can be obtained with WIC (Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children) vouchers. Although lactose-free milk is more expensive than regular milk, some major chain stores sell less-expensive lactose-free milk under their own brand names.

Beyond infancy, substitutes for cow milk based on rice, soy, or other proteins are readily available and are generally free of lactose, although the nutrient content of most of these milks is not equivalent to cow milk. Other mammalian milks, including goat milk, are not free of lactose. Tolerance to milk products may be partial, so that dietary maneuvers alone may help avoid symptoms in some individuals. Small amounts of lactose in portions of 4 to 8 oz spaced throughout the day and consumed with other foods may be tolerated with no symptoms.47–51 Some children are able to drink 1 to 2 glasses of milk each day without difficulty but cannot tolerate more without developing symptoms.14 Many lactose-intolerant individuals who are intolerant of milk can tolerate milk chocolate52 and/or yogurt (plain better than flavored), because the bacteria in the yogurt partially digest the lactose into glucose and galactose before consumption."

So, most "lactose intolerant" folks DO NOT need to avoids milk products all together. They can consume smaller amount or take a lactase supplement when consuming lactose containing products. Again, it is not an allergy, just a relative deficiency of the lactase enzyme!

PEDIATRICS Vol. 118 No. 3 September 1, 2006, pp. 1279 -1286

Now there is such a thing as a milk allergy, but the allergy is directed toward the milk "PROTEIN" not the milk "SUGAR." This is usually associated with diarrhea (not gas), blood in the stool (with microscopic or grossly visible), an elevated eosinophil count in the blood, weight loss or poor weight gain due to malabsorption.

By the way, I am double boarded in pediatrics & neonatology.
  • Dreamingallday
    Options
    Congrats for your weight loss.

I could not give up those three things, especially dairy. I take a birth control pill which could really raise my vulnerability to osteroperosis as well as previous bone injuries. I need my calcium and dairy is my best way to get it. I crave milk after a workout.

My sister in law gave up those foods though and it's worked well for her, but it depends on the person.
  • stephraposo
    stephraposo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss!!
    Check robbwolf.com, marksdailyapple.com
    It's all about grain free, dairy free(for certain people) and low sugar
    There's a lot of science behind and success stories (weight loss and autoimmune disease remission)
    Hopefully you'll check it out.
    And there are way too many haters up in here
    Do what works for you
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Great info doc, thanks. I had it right though... note I said lactose tolerant, not intolerant.
  • mylove061708
    mylove061708 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't know about that? I have met people who claim to be lactose intolerant, but they love milk, cheese, etc. and continue to eat it...and let the rest of us suffer as they exemplify the ill side effects from it. :laugh:
    [/quote]

This is so funny! I can not stop laughing! Thanks!
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I cut out booze...:tongue:
  • Elevensies
    Options
    Congratulations on losing the weight, and also I read your blog and can definitely see why you referred to those items as evil seeing the affects they had on YOU in particular. I have gone through all the threads of this post as well as several others in the last couple of days, and have been continuously surprised by large amount of fighting, name calling and just plain being mean done by a lot of people on these threads. I am just really starting out my journey and I have to be honest I would be way to scared to post anything on MFP, for fear of having the same thing that happened here to me. When I look up information on making changes for my lifestyle I do my own research and don't base it on the words of one individual and based on the comments from all those posting comments on this thread (on both sides), everyone has done their own research. The OP made a short success story and used the words "Evil" and "Try it", which to be honest I don't find offense with, because after reading her blog post I can understand why she said "Evil". Also after her health scare, I can see why she would be so happy to offer people to TRY and see what happens. From reading her post, all I got was her joy at finally losing those 30lbs and eliminating foods the were not working for HER. Again to the OP, congrats on your success and continued health.

Thank you. And to everyone else who was kind enough to congratulate me, and understand, in context, what I meant by "evil".

Quite surprising to find such responses to my simple post. Certainly did not intend to upset so many people, but I suppose it is my fault for not elaborating, and explaining in more detail that by "sugar" I mean the processed kind. And by "evil" I didn't mean biblical evil, lol. Perhaps the blog entry with all the details should have been pasted in the post so it would have been taken more in context. My bad.

And yeah, last time I was here, I recall the boards being much gentler and kinder. That is why I felt compelled to share my story, since before everyone had been so kind and supportive here. Never saw the backlash coming, wow seriously, forgot to duck!

Also, gotta say if anyone considers processed sugar a food group I would respectfully have to disagree.
    I will not go on about all I have learned about grains and processed grains because I have no interest in debating, but it is worth looking into. If more cows were grass fed, as is their natural diet, then cow products would be better for everyone. It is possible to discuss topics without going into attack mode, really it is.

So, it was an unpopular success story, ha. No matter to me, my pounds are gone and I can even enjoy these "evil" foods in small quantities again. My weight loss was not just from restricting calories, because I had been doing that for a couple years devotedly without much result.

It was good to see a few posts of others who experienced similar results particularly with ditching the gluten. It could be that was the primary culprit for me. Been eating it my whole life, so who knows the why's, ..one can speculate back and forth forever. All I know is it made a huge difference for me.

My point was simply hey, wow, this worked for me.. maybe someone else can benefit from my story.
    Apologies if this rubbed people the wrong way.

- peace -
  • mylove061708
    mylove061708 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! Much continued success to you in the future!
    I am trying to cut out processed foods too. Trying to eat more fruits, vegetables and proteins. I have been feeling better for the last 2 weeks since i changed my eating habits but today i slipped up and ate some pizza and am not feeling as good as I have been.
  • cevalid
    cevalid Posts: 59
    Options
    I think OP has already peaced out, but I just wanted to clarify if they (or anyone else) has spent periods only eliminating one of these food groups at a time (eg month 1 no dairy, yes gluten yes sugar, month 2 no gluten yes dairy yes sugar). I couldn't handle not knowing exactly which 'thing' was working, or if it did take the elimination of all three, to make me feel good.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Great info doc, thanks. I had it right though... note I said lactose tolerant, not intolerant.

Ah, I just noticed that now, my bad! Sorry, I usually agree with most everything you post. I guess I should have read with a more careful eye, as you changed the word (i.e tolerant for intolerant), hence my mistake.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't believe some of these replies... Why do so many people think they are experts on here?

Anyway, good for you for on your impressive weight-loss! I commend you for being able to ditch your evils. I don't think I could give up all three (at least not totally). You must have great will-power.

What these haters on here don't understand is that YOU are having success by doing this. It may or may not work for every person, but thank you for sharing your success. It may be helpful to someone who is struggling out there.
  • Elevensies
    Options
    I think OP has already peaced out, but I just wanted to clarify if they (or anyone else) has spent periods only eliminating one of these food groups at a time (eg month 1 no dairy, yes gluten yes sugar, month 2 no gluten yes dairy yes sugar). I couldn't handle not knowing exactly which 'thing' was working, or if it did take the elimination of all three, to make me feel good.

This is a very good,valid question. I was having a health crisis, mad head-to-toe hives, and serious stomach issues, so that is why I quit all three at once. I didn't have time to experiment, I was desperate for relief. So now I am not sure at all if it is just one of these that might have made all the difference.
    Now I only know that if I eat any of these things in much quantity now I feel icky, so I am keeping them all at bay. Processed white breads do seem to be the worst tho, blech.
    I am suspecting gluten may be the primary factor, as I had confirmation from others who are telling me that that was the one key that seemed to be inhibiting their own weight loss efforts. Everyone of us is different, so we can only find out for ourselves in the end.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't believe some of these replies... Why do so many people think they are experts on here?

Anyway, good for you for on your impressive weight-loss! I commend you for being able to ditch your evils. I don't think I could give up all three (at least not totally). You must have great will-power.

What these haters on here don't understand is that YOU are having success by doing this. It may or may not work for every person, but thank you for sharing your success. It may be helpful to someone who is struggling out there.

maybe because we have ate all there food groups that have been labeled "evil" and have lost weight and kept it off for a number of years..?
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Ah, I just noticed that now, my bad! Sorry, I usually agree with most everything you post. I guess I should have read with a more careful eye, as you changed the word (i.e tolerant for intolerant), hence my mistake.

I thought the same thing. That little omission of "in" was easy to miss. I checked out those links posted earlier and am just now getting to acknowledge them. Fascinating stuff, actually. At first, when I misread johnnythan's comment, I was wondering how so many Europeans enjoyed cheese to the extent that they do, but the research shows exactly why, or poses a very good reason why. Their bodies adapted to be able to better digest and utilize the nutrients. Very cool. :-)
  • cutmesumslack
    cutmesumslack Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Im cutting back on all 3. I already know gluten is evil to my body. Hoping to see success with no dairy except eggs. Trial & error. As we get older our bodies change each person has to find what works for them.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

I thought the same thing. That little omission of "in" was easy to miss. I checked out those links posted earlier and am just now getting to acknowledge them. Fascinating stuff, actually. At first, when I misread johnnythan's comment, I was wondering how so many Europeans enjoyed cheese to the extent that they do, but the research shows exactly why, or poses a very good reason why. Their bodies adapted to be able to better digest and utilize the nutrients. Very cool. :-)

I suppose it's more accurate to say that those who were more likely to survive were those with this trait and therefore more likely to pass the trait on to the next generation.

I
  • Gemmz2014
    Gemmz2014 Posts: 220
    Options
    I was not able to drop much weight until I quit these three evils. Then it came off fast, and without even exercising.
    30 lbs in two months, bam, gone!
    After years of struggling and sweating and counting calories, only this was truly effective.
    Have kept it off 6 months now too, it is not coming back. Try it.

I think that is fantastic! Gluten has caused me and some of my family members so many problems. Dairy is unhealthy as well, IMO. I'm sure by sugar you don't mean fruit.

You have made excellent choices!
  • Dawnieb01
    Dawnieb01 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow, CONGRATS! That is a lot of weight to lose. My goal is 50 pounds this year. I have recently heard about a diet called The Virgin diet that cuts sugar and gluten , which are listed as part of the 7 non recommended foods to eat. I will be starting once my "kit" containing book and dvd arrives. Anyway, I have two questions if you don't mind. How on earth did you eliminate sugar from your diet? Was it all types of sugar or just processed? Also, Did you have any issues with loose skin from losing weight so fast? Thanks
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!