• Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    IN for the lols
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    To the OP

I'm glad you made this post, as I'm wondering if I need to cut back or cut these things out of my diet. I've been reading a lot and talking with friends. Most seem to have more success when even cutting back on one of these. I'm glad you had success and are keeping it off.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    paleo 4 life yo! so many haters...gosh
  • Llamedos1960
    Options
    I think OP has already peaced out, but I just wanted to clarify if they (or anyone else) has spent periods only eliminating one of these food groups at a time (eg month 1 no dairy, yes gluten yes sugar, month 2 no gluten yes dairy yes sugar). I couldn't handle not knowing exactly which 'thing' was working, or if it did take the elimination of all three, to make me feel good.

I agree. I can't handle not knowing either. I know that if I go low-carb I feel better, less brain-fog, more energy, less cravings. Therefore, easier to stick to calorie limitations and exercise more. BUT, I don't agree with totally cutting out food groups unless I know why.

I get bad stomach cramps (and, no, it's not PMT - I'm too old.LOL) but I don't want to live a life without carbs unless it's absolutely necessary. So today I'm starting to limit gluten to see if that has the same effect. But I'm still eating rice, couscous, quinoa, fruit, etc.

I'll have to just see how it goes!
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    this has to be spam...look at OPs profile!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Vodoo LOL. Way to judge people with out knowing their medical history. May be OP is insulin resistant, the people who develop insulin resistance do worse with sugars. There is no moderation involved there because of spike in blood sugar. Just because you read something on internet doesn't make you expert. What works for some may not work for other.

Your response to what I posted makes no sense. I didn't judge the OP even in the slightest, My entire post was about arguing with medical science, heck I even wished her well on her journey and offered congratulations for the success she did/will have.. so let's not be silly here. Also, OP mentioned nothing about any medical issues but suggested others engage in her activity which could be harmful... And I didn't just "read something on the internet"... Medical science doesn't change because it was in type or hand written. It's science not a fitness blog.

She did post a link to her blog that did in fact clarify she went in to be seen by medical professionals...

And? Her medical history has nothing to do with providing the public with tactics which could prove to be dangerous to people not facing those issues. And in my original post? I made sure to mention that the acceptation was people with medical requirements. You are debating me for no reason....

Right! People with medical conditions *do* need special diets sometimes, but they should not be implying that otherwise healthy people ought to do their medically-approved diet.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Vodoo LOL. Way to judge people with out knowing their medical history. May be OP is insulin resistant, the people who develop insulin resistance do worse with sugars. There is no moderation involved there because of spike in blood sugar. Just because you read something on internet doesn't make you expert. What works for some may not work for other.

Your response to what I posted makes no sense. I didn't judge the OP even in the slightest, My entire post was about arguing with medical science, heck I even wished her well on her journey and offered congratulations for the success she did/will have.. so let's not be silly here. Also, OP mentioned nothing about any medical issues but suggested others engage in her activity which could be harmful... And I didn't just "read something on the internet"... Medical science doesn't change because it was in type or hand written. It's science not a fitness blog.

What harmful stuff are you talking about? I don't see any problems with some one cutting out candy and processed sugar.

"candy and processed sugar" =/= "Gluten. Dairy. Sugar."
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    This is an interesting thread because let's face it, we *REALLY* don't know. We can all post published studies all day that are sponsored by grain and sugar companies but I've had a similar experience. I would call myself a professional dieter, I've tried almost everything. I enjoy dieting and trying out new methods for fun.

Once, I did a 4 (or 5 week?) diet. I literally pigged out on food, I ate as much as my little heart desired but cut all food with only 2 ingredients. Any sugar and any flour products and lost 8 lbs. This was actually when I was already fairly low weight. I didn't count calories, and I KNOW I over consumed. It was a 4 week (or 5 week) experiment and it was an interesting outcome.

I honestly believe that it's due to blood sugar levels. When insulin is up, leptin is down and if you're constantly spiking insulin, you're not burning fat.

Actually, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in studies from grain and sugar companies. It's better to use unbiased sources.

This one is a good one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20056521
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I did a 2-week "challenge" (published by an RD, and approved by my personal RD) recently, where you cut out refined wheat products, refined sugars and dairy. Did have some gluten (in the form of sprouted grain/seed bread), but no sugars (other than natural, like in fruit) and no dairy (which was the most difficult for me). Figured I could handle 2 weeks, and try to drop the "holiday 5" I gained over Thanksgiving/Christmas.

Lost 6 lbs over that 2 weeks, but had a weird side-effect of not being able to sleep well. My brain was in hyper-drive, and since I wasn't under any stress could only attribute this change in my diet. Still, even with the interrupted sleep, had energy. Discussed it with my RD, and she agreed that maybe it was.

Anyhow, back to "normal" with my diet now, but funny enough, don't crave pasta anymore or candy, and have cut way back on my dairy consumption now (just a little fat-free greek yogurt or milk everyday). Found lots of good subs and new recipes during that 2-week period, and though not restricting myself anymore, found that the "challenge" seems to be having a more long-term effect. :)

My RD would debate your RD over it. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    So 6 out of 10 people are lactose intolerant? I don't believe it. I've met *one* lactose intolerant person in my whole life, and I'm nearly 40.

Here you are:
    Lactose intolerance is fairly common. It seems to affect guys and girls equally. Some ethnic groups are more likely to be affected than others because their diets traditionally include fewer dairy products: Almost all Asians and Native Americans are lactose intolerant, and up to 80% of African Americans and Hispanic Americans also have symptoms of lactose intolerance. Their ancestors did not eat dairy foods, so their bodies were not prepared to digest dairy, and they passed these genes on from generation to generation.
    http://kidshealth.org/teen/food_fitness/nutrition/lactose_intolerance.html#

Another:
    If you're American or European it's hard to realize this, but being able to digest milk as an adult is one weird genetic adaptation.

It's not normal. Somewhat less than 40% of people in the world retain the ability to digest lactose after childhood. The numbers are often given as close to 0% of Native Americans, 5% of Asians, 25% of African and Caribbean peoples, 50% of Mediterranean peoples and 90% of northern Europeans. Sweden has one of the world's highest percentages of lactase tolerant people.
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/science/2009-08-30-lactose-intolerance_N.htm

This one breaks it down statistically for you:
    http://www.statisticbrain.com/lactose-intolerance-statistics/
    Approximately 75 % of Earths population is lactose intolerant for a reason, that’s because it’s perfectly natural. - See more at: http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/04/03/over-75-of-earths-population-is-lactose-intolerant-for-a-reason-dairy-is-harmful/#sthash.h0dsgNe4.dpuf
    http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/04/03/over-75-of-earths-population-is-lactose-intolerant-for-a-reason-dairy-is-harmful/

Some people have it worse then others. While some have very mild symptoms they may not even recognize. For others, it is painful and can affect their every day life.
    Selection bias.

Most white people are lactose tolerant. Most non-white people are not. The vast majority of people of Asian (especially eastern and southern Asia) or African descent are not lactose tolerant.

You are both 1/2 right & 1/2 wrong. Her % for Northern European (i.e caucasians) is ridiculously high, while Johnny has the race profile reversed.

This information is straight from the American Academy of Pediatrics:

"In populations with a predominance of dairy foods in the diet, particularly northern European people, as few as 2% of the population has primary lactase deficiency. In contrast, the prevalence of primary lactase deficiency is 50% to 80% in Hispanic people, 60% to 80% in black and Ashkenazi Jewish people, and almost 100% in Asian and American Indian people."

Note the incidence in those of Northern European descent is <2%!

Next, an intolerance isn't the same as an allergy. If you are "intolerant," you don't have adequate quantities of the lactase enzyme to digest large quantities of lactose, BUT it doesn't mean you can't have any. Folks who are lactose intolerant can digest limited amounts of lactose, especially if supplemented with additional lactase. From the AAP:

"When children are diagnosed with lactose intolerance, avoidance of milk and other dairy products will relieve symptoms. However, those with primary lactose intolerance have varying degrees of lactase deficiency and, correspondingly, often tolerate varying amounts of dietary lactose. Lactose-intolerant children (and their parents) should realize that ingestion of dairy products resulting in symptoms generally leads to transient symptoms without causing harm to the gastrointestinal tract (as compared with celiac disease or allergic reactions, including milk-protein intolerance, that can lead to ongoing inflammation and mucosal damage). Although lactose malabsorption does not predispose to calcium malabsorption,44 avoidance of milk products to control symptoms may be problematic for optimal bone mineralization. Children who avoid milk have been documented to ingest less-than-recommended amounts of calcium needed for normal bone calcium accretion and bone mineralization.45,46

Lactose-free and lactose-reduced milks (and lactose-free whole milk for children younger than 2 years) are widely available in supermarkets and can be obtained with WIC (Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children) vouchers. Although lactose-free milk is more expensive than regular milk, some major chain stores sell less-expensive lactose-free milk under their own brand names.

Beyond infancy, substitutes for cow milk based on rice, soy, or other proteins are readily available and are generally free of lactose, although the nutrient content of most of these milks is not equivalent to cow milk. Other mammalian milks, including goat milk, are not free of lactose. Tolerance to milk products may be partial, so that dietary maneuvers alone may help avoid symptoms in some individuals. Small amounts of lactose in portions of 4 to 8 oz spaced throughout the day and consumed with other foods may be tolerated with no symptoms.47–51 Some children are able to drink 1 to 2 glasses of milk each day without difficulty but cannot tolerate more without developing symptoms.14 Many lactose-intolerant individuals who are intolerant of milk can tolerate milk chocolate52 and/or yogurt (plain better than flavored), because the bacteria in the yogurt partially digest the lactose into glucose and galactose before consumption."

So, most "lactose intolerant" folks DO NOT need to avoids milk products all together. They can consume smaller amount or take a lactase supplement when consuming lactose containing products. Again, it is not an allergy, just a relative deficiency of the lactase enzyme!

PEDIATRICS Vol. 118 No. 3 September 1, 2006, pp. 1279 -1286

Now there is such a thing as a milk allergy, but the allergy is directed toward the milk "PROTEIN" not the milk "SUGAR." This is usually associated with diarrhea (not gas), blood in the stool (with microscopic or grossly visible), an elevated eosinophil count in the blood, weight loss or poor weight gain due to malabsorption.

By the way, I am double boarded in pediatrics & neonatology.

Thread winner for use of primary sources and logic! :drinker:

Thanks for clarifying this. :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I think OP has already peaced out, but I just wanted to clarify if they (or anyone else) has spent periods only eliminating one of these food groups at a time (eg month 1 no dairy, yes gluten yes sugar, month 2 no gluten yes dairy yes sugar). I couldn't handle not knowing exactly which 'thing' was working, or if it did take the elimination of all three, to make me feel good.

I did eliminate sucrose from my diet for about a month, substituting fructose in the form of fresh fruit. It didn't hurt me any, but I was happy to learn that I could add sucrose back into my diet with no ill effects. Diary and gluten will never be eliminated from my diet.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Wow, I can't believe some of these replies... Why do so many people think they are experts on here?

Anyway, good for you for on your impressive weight-loss! I commend you for being able to ditch your evils. I don't think I could give up all three (at least not totally). You must have great will-power.

What these haters on here don't understand is that YOU are having success by doing this. It may or may not work for every person, but thank you for sharing your success. It may be helpful to someone who is struggling out there.

What experts? The only one I saw was docpremie who stated: "By the way, I am double boarded in pediatrics & neonatology."

I think that means board-certified in both. :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Great info doc, thanks. I had it right though... note I said lactose tolerant, not intolerant.

Ah, I just noticed that now, my bad! Sorry, I usually agree with most everything you post. I guess I should have read with a more careful eye, as you changed the word (i.e tolerant for intolerant), hence my mistake.

I thought the same thing. That little omission of "in" was easy to miss. I checked out those links posted earlier and am just now getting to acknowledge them. Fascinating stuff, actually. At first, when I misread johnnythan's comment, I was wondering how so many Europeans enjoyed cheese to the extent that they do, but the research shows exactly why, or poses a very good reason why. Their bodies adapted to be able to better digest and utilize the nutrients. Very cool. :-)

+1 :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    To the OP

I'm glad you made this post, as I'm wondering if I need to cut back or cut these things out of my diet. I've been reading a lot and talking with friends. Most seem to have more success when even cutting back on one of these. I'm glad you had success and are keeping it off.

Exhibit A ^^^^

Please see a doctor if you think you are having medical issues.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting thread because let's face it, we *REALLY* don't know. We can all post published studies all day that are sponsored by grain and sugar companies but I've had a similar experience. I would call myself a professional dieter, I've tried almost everything. I enjoy dieting and trying out new methods for fun.

Once, I did a 4 (or 5 week?) diet. I literally pigged out on food, I ate as much as my little heart desired but cut all food with only 2 ingredients. Any sugar and any flour products and lost 8 lbs. This was actually when I was already fairly low weight. I didn't count calories, and I KNOW I over consumed. It was a 4 week (or 5 week) experiment and it was an interesting outcome.

I honestly believe that it's due to blood sugar levels. When insulin is up, leptin is down and if you're constantly spiking insulin, you're not burning fat.

Actually, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in studies from grain and sugar companies. It's better to use unbiased sources.

This one is a good one:

I think he was saying that you can't really know "the truth," because "most" of the studies are sponsored by those entities.
  • Elevensies
    Options
    I should have been more specific in my post. My sugar, I meant processed sugar. I have not avoided fruits and even have raw honey in my coffee. Just the processed junk that I have given up.
    And yes a little flabby skin. I expect some toning up exercise will help with that a little.
    Good luck to you!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I should have been more specific in my post. My sugar, I meant processed sugar. I have not avoided fruits and even have raw honey in my coffee. Just the processed junk that I have given up.
    And yes a little flabby skin. I expect some toning up exercise will help with that a little.
    Good luck to you!

What do you think is the difference between "processed sugar" and the sugar in fruits and vegetables?
  • Elevensies
    Options
    Good luck to you!

What do you think is the difference between "processed sugar" and the sugar in fruits and vegetables?

Plenty. Chemicals.. nutrients..
    Really not here to debate and defend my position.
    I do not have anything to prove, unlike everyone else around here it seems.

Merely popped round to share with others what worked for me. No more, no less. Take it or leave it.
    Very sorry to see how contentious the boards have become here.

Noticing too, the people with the most posts seem to be the least kind.

It's all yours. Bash away.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Really not here to debate and defend my position.

Ahh right. You want to be able to say things and not have them called out, criticized, or questioned in any way.

I think you meant this to be a blog post, not a forum post. Forums are for discussion.

So.. what "chemicals" are in processed sugar that aren't in bananas?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

This one is a good one:

I think he was saying that you can't really know "the truth," because "most" of the studies are sponsored by those entities.

I glossed over that part. :laugh:

I see that kind of stuff from my paleo friends on FB. I always hear about the evil companies that are fooling the country and blah blah, yadda, yadda.

But when you look at it in depth, it's smoke and mirrors nonsense, from what I've seen.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!