Gluten. Dairy. Sugar.

Options

Replies

• nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Vodoo LOL. Way to judge people with out knowing their medical history. May be OP is insulin resistant, the people who develop insulin resistance do worse with sugars. There is no moderation involved there because of spike in blood sugar. Just because you read something on internet doesn't make you expert. What works for some may not work for other.

Your response to what I posted makes no sense. I didn't judge the OP even in the slightest, My entire post was about arguing with medical science, heck I even wished her well on her journey and offered congratulations for the success she did/will have.. so let's not be silly here. Also, OP mentioned nothing about any medical issues but suggested others engage in her activity which could be harmful... And I didn't just "read something on the internet"... Medical science doesn't change because it was in type or hand written. It's science not a fitness blog.
  • jeardawg
    jeardawg Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Vodoo LOL. Way to judge people with out knowing their medical history. May be OP is insulin resistant, the people who develop insulin resistance do worse with sugars. There is no moderation involved there because of spike in blood sugar. Just because you read something on internet doesn't make you expert. What works for some may not work for other.

Your response to what I posted makes no sense. I didn't judge the OP even in the slightest, My entire post was about arguing with medical science, heck I even wished her well on her journey and offered congratulations for the success she did/will have.. so let's not be silly here. Also, OP mentioned nothing about any medical issues but suggested others engage in her activity which could be harmful... And I didn't just "read something on the internet"... Medical science doesn't change because it was in type or hand written. It's science not a fitness blog.

She did post a link to her blog that did in fact clarify she went in to be seen by medical professionals...
  • nikkihk
    Options
    Wow. So from what I gather OP thinks XYZ are evil and believe's she lost 30 pounds by eliminating them from her world, a few MFPer's tried to dispel the magic trick from others performing it by suggesting that XYZ are not evil but provided a calorie deficit (which is backed by science not opinion)... then the opposition to science occurred. "It's not just deficit.. etc.." Which was politely responded to...
    hmmm I eat these three "evil" foods regularly and maintain 11% body fat and have lost about 60 pounds total since I started..

OP - you are losing weight because you restricted three food groups and created a calorie deficit..

Which later was labeled as "douchey"? (still confused about that)

Then the argument of opinion and magic vs science and mathematics ensued. Some how sugar wasn't sugar, And food calories aren't just food calories....

I think that covers it?

What doesn't make sense to me is arguing science. It's fact vs. opinion, no one ever said OP can't practice whatever voodoo (no disrespect but that's what all of these formulas are to me) seems to work for her... but what the reality of weight loss is needs to be corrected to dispel the sales tactics and magic beans of fitness corporations that make money from books and pills that they claim is the answer to weight loss struggles. What we all post as advice affects the health of others who read it and ultimately try it... you could unknowingly cause nutrient loss, blood pressure issues, sickness, or other problems in an otherwise healthy person. Restriction of entire food groups has no scientific basis of health benefits or additional aid in proper sustainable weight loss. Only people with medically diagnosed intolerance or allergies to those groups should be practicing restrictions like this.

You don't need to take my word for it however, google... "Restricting food groups" or "fad diets" and you'll find dozens of sites with real medical research and studies (Not I lost 5 pounds last week not eating bread).

Just a few: http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Weight_loss_and_fad_diets?open
    http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=6851

Not a single person here correcting the myths are trying to hurt feelings, they are trying to help others not fall pray to this line of thinking because it's psychologically damaging and will sabotage your long term success. I know it's difficult to hear what you've been doing isn't the answer... and it's even more difficult to know that good old fashioned calorie control and exercise wins the day... especially when you've worn your metabolism down with only meat, cabbage soup, only fruits and veggies.. etc etc etc. You're body is probably more confused then the health industry. But I urge you, look up the truth for yourself.. then I hope in your proper research you decide to lose your weight the correct sustainable way.

I wish you luck OP and anyone else who wants to try the voodoo, if it becomes a long term solution for you? Then congratulations!! But if not? Please consider a better alternative.

lemme see, I weigh my food and I log my calories. I exercise and lose weight. hmmmm I eat bread and then I get sick... My doctor told me not to eat bread. Damn, that magician. I still weigh my food and exercise, lose even more weight!!! Its magic, its also science. I read the OPS blog, she got sick too. Imagine, must be magic. Just because something isn't consistent with your experience doesn't mean it isn't bunk. The op's post is a success story. I hope yours is filled with sugar and dairy and gluten and unicorns who **** rainbows.

have the common courtesy to congratulate someone who lost the weight they wanted, and seems to be keeping it off, someday maybe we can do the same for you.

toodles

In so many words everything you said has been said by previous posters, and people have attempted to clarify, you wanna be sarcastic why bother with being polite?

Let's see... another response that overly emotional and makes no sense.

You said:

1. "My doctor told me not to eat bread. Damn, that magician... etc etc etc.." (Unnecessarily sarcastic I might add)

I believe I wrote, "Only people with medically diagnosed intolerance or allergies to those groups should be practicing restrictions like this." So I fail to see the point in what you've written.

2. Just because something isn't consistent with your experience doesn't mean it isn't bunk.

This has nothing to do with my experience. It has everything to do with suggesting medically unhealthy tactics for weight loss... I don't know why you insist on making it about me? I was making it about being responsible with information we supply people with. And I was rather polite and factual while doing it.. I'm sorry I didn't crap rainbows for you to make the truth easier to hear.

3 ".have the common courtesy to congratulate someone who lost the weight they wanted, and seems to be keeping it off, someday maybe we can do the same for you"

I believe, "I wish you luck OP and anyone else who wants to try the voodoo, if it becomes a long term solution for you? Then congratulations!!" Was exactly that. Though you can no better read context in the written word then I? I sincerely wished her luck on her path and CONGRATULATIONS on what she has accomplished.. but yeah, you got me there.

4. "In so many words everything you said has been said by previous posters, and people have attempted to clarify, you wanna be sarcastic why bother with being polite?"

Nothing I was sarcastic or impolite. It was honest and quite serious, your response on the other hand? Quite the opposite. Why to rise above the behavior I apparently displayed.

Bye all. Luck in your journey's!
  • nikkihk
    Options

She did post a link to her blog that did in fact clarify she went in to be seen by medical professionals...

And? Her medical history has nothing to do with providing the public with tactics which could prove to be dangerous to people not facing those issues. And in my original post? I made sure to mention that the acceptation was people with medical requirements. You are debating me for no reason....
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I did some searching here, but can someone provide links to the lactose intolerance debunking thread? How long ago was it? I'm not finding it?
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options

What harmful stuff are you talking about? I don't see any problems with some one cutting out candy and processed sugar.
  • jeardawg
    Options

And? Her medical history has nothing to do with providing the public with tactics which could prove to be dangerous to people not facing those issues. And in my original post? I made sure to mention that the acceptation was people with medical requirements. You are debating me for no reason....

No providing her medical history was something that she did, and that you said she didn't, right here:

"Also, OP mentioned nothing about any medical issues but suggested others engage in her activity which could be harmful"

your words I think....

This is in the "success story" threads not the suggestion thread, so while she did challenge people to try her dietary restrictions, she wasn't really trying to sell anyone she just was stating how something worked for her after nothing else had...

I don't think anyone is going to get sucked in by a restrictive diet plan that disallows almost every type of food, and even if they did technology provides options for people who might miss some nutrient IE the modern vegan.

I would however love for you to show me, ( I will take a reputable secondary source) where it says that cutting out any of these three nutrients will harm you. Oddly my family physician suggested to me not to eat gluten and he is reputable it seems, has the MD behind his name and all..

every post you have made is full of sarcasm, so much so that I have kinda seemed to find it hard to maintain a pretext of politeness with you, maybe you are trying to be helpful but you come across as grating, so you might want to take a bit of a look at your people skills, or your internet voice.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

What harmful stuff are you talking about? I don't see any problems with some one cutting out candy and processed sugar.

I believe OP said she was cutting out ALL sugar and then labeled it "Evil"….that is where people took exception…The counter argument to that is you can eat all three of the food groups she labeled - evil - (I know I do) and you can lose weight and meet your healthy goals...
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting thread because let's face it, we *REALLY* don't know. We can all post published studies all day that are sponsored by grain and sugar companies but I've had a similar experience. I would call myself a professional dieter, I've tried almost everything. I enjoy dieting and trying out new methods for fun.

Once, I did a 4 (or 5 week?) diet. I literally pigged out on food, I ate as much as my little heart desired but cut all food with only 2 ingredients. Any sugar and any flour products and lost 8 lbs. This was actually when I was already fairly low weight. I didn't count calories, and I KNOW I over consumed. It was a 4 week (or 5 week) experiment and it was an interesting outcome.

I honestly believe that it's due to blood sugar levels. When insulin is up, leptin is down and if you're constantly spiking insulin, you're not burning fat.
  • eversosquidly
    eversosquidly Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up gluten or dairy, but I don't usually eat them anyway. I think of my calories like money and prefer to spend them on things that will actually keep me feeling full. Like fruit and vegetables and especially protein. But I do understand the reasoning behind the sugar thing.

I gave up white refined sugar because it's a problem for me. I can't have one. I can't do it once a week. I would eat a box of popsicles and lie to my tracker and say I ate one. So instead of dealing with sugar, I cut it out of my diet. Today, I don't eat cheesecake or popsicles or any of the things I'd have eaten before. But I don't care if other people do! If you can eat ice cream every night and lose weight, more power to you! But there are some people that have trouble limiting themselves.

So yes, you can lose weight with restriction if you need to. I have. I've lost 57 pounds spread out since the end of May. With food control. Self-control. Water. Exercise.

Yes, it's about a calorie deficit. It always will be. But that caloric deficit can also be helped by not eating sugary things that lead to more sugary things! Whatever makes this journey easier for you, go for it! I have no regrets.

just to clarify …you eat zero sugar..?? No carbs, fruits, vegetables, etc?

I specified that I don't eat white refined sugar. Or added sugar. But I do eat fruit. I eat vegetables. But those both have fiber that white sugar does not. And my point was elaborated earlier upon as I explained that I don't eat sugar because of self-control. I mean, I don't feel like fighting with people on here, but everyone has to do what works for them.
    Options

I believe OP said she was cutting out ALL sugar and then labeled it "Evil"….that is where people took exception…The counter argument to that is you can eat all three of the food groups she labeled - evil - (I know I do) and you can lose weight and meet your healthy goals...

I don't see it as OP saying he cut all foods which have sugar. Its hard to eat a no sugar diet. Processed carbs are as good as sugars and people who eat real foods like veggies and fruits are better off.
    Options
    This is an interesting thread because let's face it, we *REALLY* don't know. We can all post published studies all day that are sponsored by grain and sugar companies but I've had a similar experience. I would call myself a professional dieter, I've tried almost everything. I enjoy dieting and trying out new methods for fun.

Once, I did a 4 (or 5 week?) diet. I literally pigged out on food, I ate as much as my little heart desired but cut all food with only 2 ingredients. Any sugar and any flour products and lost 8 lbs. This was actually when I was already fairly low weight. I didn't count calories, and I KNOW I over consumed. It was a 4 week (or 5 week) experiment and it was an interesting outcome.

I honestly believe that it's due to blood sugar levels. When insulin is up, leptin is down and if you're constantly spiking insulin, you're not burning fat.

No people are lazy, have no self control and eat too much to get fat. Insulin doesn't matter.
    /s
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I did a 2-week "challenge" (published by an RD, and approved by my personal RD) recently, where you cut out refined wheat products, refined sugars and dairy. Did have some gluten (in the form of sprouted grain/seed bread), but no sugars (other than natural, like in fruit) and no dairy (which was the most difficult for me). Figured I could handle 2 weeks, and try to drop the "holiday 5" I gained over Thanksgiving/Christmas.

Lost 6 lbs over that 2 weeks, but had a weird side-effect of not being able to sleep well. My brain was in hyper-drive, and since I wasn't under any stress could only attribute this change in my diet. Still, even with the interrupted sleep, had energy. Discussed it with my RD, and she agreed that maybe it was.

Anyhow, back to "normal" with my diet now, but funny enough, don't crave pasta anymore or candy, and have cut way back on my dairy consumption now (just a little fat-free greek yogurt or milk everyday). Found lots of good subs and new recipes during that 2-week period, and though not restricting myself anymore, found that the "challenge" seems to be having a more long-term effect. :)
  • jeardawg
    Options

well said
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I did some searching here, but can someone provide links to the lactose intolerance debunking thread? How long ago was it? I'm not finding it?

No one?
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Depends on each person. Those foods are fine for most people who are fit/healthy and have no hormone issues. For someone who is extremely overweight or even overweight, chances are they will have better success avoiding those types of food.

I agree with the first sentence...

The rest, not so much. I have been obese. I have also been extremely ill because of the obesity. I am maintaining a 130lb loss, I am also healthy and fit for the first time in my life and have not had to avoid any types of food.

Op: Congratulations on creating a calorie deficit in a way that works for you!
    ETA: No food is evil...
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I still love my dairy but dropped 10 pounds within weeks of going gluten free. Turns out I was celiac. But there are many people that can't process the gluten and this leads to bloating and extreme tiredness. I won't enter the debate, but will just say that I am glad that you found what works for you. Your not alone.
  • nikkihk
    Options

No providing her medical history was something that she did, and that you said she didn't, right here:

"Also, OP mentioned nothing about any medical issues but suggested others engage in her activity which could be harmful"

your words I think....

This is in the "success story" threads not the suggestion thread, so while she did challenge people to try her dietary restrictions, she wasn't really trying to sell anyone she just was stating how something worked for her after nothing else had...

I don't think anyone is going to get sucked in by a restrictive diet plan that disallows almost every type of food, and even if they did technology provides options for people who might miss some nutrient IE the modern vegan.

I would however love for you to show me, ( I will take a reputable secondary source) where it says that cutting out any of these three nutrients will harm you. Oddly my family physician suggested to me not to eat gluten and he is reputable it seems, has the MD behind his name and all..

every post you have made is full of sarcasm, so much so that I have kinda seemed to find it hard to maintain a pretext of politeness with you, maybe you are trying to be helpful but you come across as grating, so you might want to take a bit of a look at your people skills, or your internet voice.

1. In her original post she mentioned nothing but eliminating foods. If she clarified later it was too many posts in to catch... yet still irrelevant as I covered that in my response.

2. With her post there was no option for how to do what she is doing in a health nutrient rich manner.

3. "This is in the "success story" threads not the suggestion thread" The words "TRY IT" sound like a suggestion to me? Unless my grasp of the English language is slipping..

4. You asked for it so here:

"The Health Hype
    Thanks to the increase in diagnosed celiac and gluten sensitivity cases, and the corresponding uptick in foods marketed to sufferers, "gluten-free diets have emerged from obscurity, and now the pendulum has swung completely in the other direction," says Fasano. And with this popularity push, people have latched on to avoiding gluten as a cure-all for many conditions aside from celiac, including migraines, fibromyalgia, and chronic fatigue syndrome. While some have found relief, that doesn't mean a gluten free diet will work in all cases.

And then there's the idea that a gluten-free existence is the ticket to speedy weight loss. But, says Mark DeMeo, M.D., director of gastroenterology and nutrition at the Adult Celiac Disease Program at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, "there's nothing magical about a gluten-free diet that's going to help you lose weight." What's really at work: Gluten-free dining can seriously limit the number of foods you can eat. With fewer choices, you're a lot less likely to overeat, says Shelley Case, R.D., author of Gluten-Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide and a medical advisory board member for the Celiac Disease Foundation."

Source, "http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/gluten-free-diet" And I believe this man also has an MD after his name.

Another, "http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-11-14/health/bs-hs-gluten-free-healthy-20121114_1_gluten-free-products-gluten-sensitivity-gluten-free-diet"

And another doctor: "But can the gluten free diet lead to weight loss?

According to Dr. Rajapaksa, some people who go on a celiac diet actually gain weight because they've restored their intestine's ability to absorb necessary foods and nutrients. "We look at weight gain as a positive thing for these people," she said.

Copperman agrees, adding that gluten-free food is not necessarily lighter in calories, and for some gluten-free snacks like pretzels, may actually contain more fat. She thinks some people may experience weight loss just because the diet is so restrictive, that they're cutting out many carbohydrates and processed foods from their diet. But by doing so, she says, people may also be missing out on essential nutrients like fiber, folate, niacin and zinc.

For people with a gluten-sensitivity who don't have celiac disease, Rajapaksa doesn't recommend going for the restrictive gluten-free diet which can also be quite expensive, but suggests cutting out wheat products.

If you think you might have a gluten intolerance or sensitivity to gluten, Copperman recommends seeing your doctor for a test. As for everyone else? "If you want to lose weight, you shouldn't necessarily eliminate your gluten," she said.

Then what's the best way to lose weight?

A recent study found eating fewer fatty foods and exercising was more effective for weight loss than popular fad diets or weight loss pills."

Also has an MD after her name.

Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/miley-cyrus-touts-gluten-free-diet-what-do-doctors-say/

and lastly

5. You don't know me. I don't know you. Making assumptions about my "people" skills based off two posts is both short sighted and uninformed, especially in a thread that has become a rather heated debate. If we were to compare posts here? I was never the one on the attack, especially on a personal level. My original post was both a recap of 12 pages of "tennis" and an educated rational argument to the reality of science vs opinion. You responded with a heap of sarcasm and a rather patronizing tone. I think you focused so much on the word "voodoo" (which I specified was my term for fad diet and meant no disrespect to the op) you barely read the remainder of the post. Nothing about it was sarcastic, and was meant to detour others from attempting something meant for people with Celiacs disease which medically plays no active role in weight loss save for calorie reduction that may occur through the elimination of restricted foods. (and even that is negotiable depending on what you chose to eat as an alternatives).

That said... I'm done here so retort if you wish I won't be responding again, just please stop suggesting this to others.. people need to adopt normal eating habits for long term healthy stability. Elimination diets are not the answer.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!