Gluten. Dairy. Sugar.

Options

Replies

• lynleeg88
    lynleeg88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Umm actually everyone is the same…if you eat in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Eliminating sugar, daily, gluten has nothing to do with weight loss..it is just an idiotically restrictive way to create a calorie deficit…

Eat a donut and gain five pounds, really? So that donut has 17,500 calories in it? That would be one hell of a donut…

Probably a delicious one too
  • jeardawg
    jeardawg Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Holy hell people! Let's just be happy for this person! Everyone is different, what works for one doesn't work for the other. Congratulations!! I recently cut out gluten of my diet (orders from my doctor) and it is not easy so kuddos to you!

Let's not. Let's try to help people find the right way to do things. Calling food evil and advising people to cut food out completely is not the right way to do things. I have also cut out gluten and dairy but it is because it is what I need to do for intolerances. Others do not need to do that, and advising them to do it as a way to lose weight is poor practice.

So you are saying that you too can't eat gluten, but other people should?

I think many ( myself included) agree that a lot of people can eat any or all of the nutrients and be just fine.

The OP posted the following: QUOTE:
    I was not able to drop much weight until I quit these three evils. Then it came off fast, and without even exercising.
    30 lbs in two months, bam, gone!
    After years of struggling and sweating and counting calories, only this was truly effective.
    Have kept it off 6 months now too, it is not coming back. Try it.

Now what I take away from this, further substantiated by her blog which she linked somewhere in the 10 pages of responses ranting, name calling, and getting the last word in was. That after everything, something she had not anticipated worked for her. If you too are having trouble achieving your goals, it might work for you too.

Personally my story is similar and not eating gluten changed my life a lot. Can't we all just get along?

yes, the OP found a way to create a substantial calorie deficit and lose weight…eliminating said food groups really had nothing to do with it…as others are able to eat those foods and lose weight, as has already been demonstrated..

no sir, you are wrong, the poster gave up dieting and quit tracking, then she got sick, and went to the hospital and was told to eliminate those foods. Then without tracking or anything she lost weight.

GLUTEN SUGAR AND DAIRY made her sick. SICK! they are bad for her. Everyone on MFP knows a deficit is necessary for weight loss, so if you feel clever for pointing it out, you arent.

I am wrong? So you are saying that OP did not create a calorie deficit to lose the weight?

Tracking is not what makes you lose weight. you can track/log/weight and gain, as well as lose, so I don't see why you are bringing that up.
    Actually I would suggest she probably didn't lose much fat at all, I suspect most of her issue was a variety of water weight, bloating and gastro backup. I am not sure, but this really isn't a post about how she lost the weight or the validity of he strategy or as far as I could tell even a request for critique, so IMHO popping in several times each page and parroting that obviously she created a deficit and lost weight is really tertiary to the whole post, maybe even seems a little like trolling.

Ok - so then the other people that chimed in and said "yea, it is not just about calories in vs calories out"…what were they doing? I would suggest that 30 pounds was probably more than just water weight..

and I don't see how I am a troll for pointing out to people that a more sensible approach is to eat in a deficit, and continue to eat the foods that you like to eat…

Perhaps, you are trolling…?

Actually this is topic I feel strongly about..

I totally agree with you, I eat in deficit and I lose weight.

This wasn't a post that said, HEY I want to give up gluten sugar and dairy what do you all think.???

Her post said, nothing worked for me and then all of a sudden from another angle I found my answer!!

I think her results have merit, she didn't find an oblique angle to get back to the deficit = loss, removing those nutrients didn't slyly make her consume less calories. She responded to a health crisis, and the things that were causing it also seemed to be what was keeping her overweight, and unless you are her attending physician, its not your place to diagnose what went on in her body. Its not my place either. I just want her to get a chance to state her SUCCESS story, without the critique that so many of MFP feel like is their right, and if you have to critique try and keep it constructive. Because while I completely agree with you that a deficit is ESSENTIAL to losing fat, I also think that for some people some foods are unhealthy.

But no matter how you couch that I believe that your approach was not constructive, its not what many people say here its how they say it, and whether you are right or wrong, if people don't like how you say something it doesn't matter what you said.

So leave the OP alone and congratulate her for losing the weight she never thought she would lose, and if you have an opinion save it for someone it might help, like the many many people looking for guidance instead of the one who is just sharing.

PS my apologies to the OP and anyone else here if I came across as an *kitten*, like I said strong feelings about this issue.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Umm actually everyone is the same…if you eat in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Eliminating sugar, daily, gluten has nothing to do with weight loss..it is just an idiotically restrictive way to create a calorie deficit…

Eat a donut and gain five pounds, really? So that donut has 17,500 calories in it? That would be one hell of a donut…

If it's gluten-free, I totally want that donut.....
  • lynleeg88
    Options
    Yes, after 30,000 years, suddenly gluten, dairy, and sugar are poisonous to humans. Makes perfect sense.:huh:

Well, I can see why milk would be a problem.

Studies have shown less then 40% of people retain the ability to digest milk properly once they grow up. No other animal out there drinks milk after becoming an adult. So though it is delicious and has benefits. It is not exactly natural.

Sugar was not in our original diets the way it is today, aside from fruits and the little found in vegetables. So again, it is not something natural in our diets.

And gluten...no clue. Cause I am still looking into that since I may have that intolerance myself it turns out.
  • lynleeg88
    Options

If it's gluten-free, I totally want that donut.....

Wonder if it is sugar free?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    **Meanwhile, in my fortress of evil**

I'm glad you've had success but the weight loss isn't purely because you cut those three things. It's because by eliminating those things from your diet, you created a calorie deficit. I wish you the best but have no intention of ever giving up these things. Especially the dairy...ice cream.... Also, 30 lbs in 2 months seems ridiculous and not healthy for most people, so...

Not always true. I cut those same things, and replaced it with other whole food calories. I did NOT create a larger calorie deficit. And I'm losing weight...

These threads boil my blood b/c there are so few people out there who give inflammation reduction any credit for weight loss. I had one HELL of a deficit going - eating 1500 calories a day, watching macros, working out a minimum of an hour a day, strength training.. I can count on ONE HAND the number of pounds I lost in TWO YEARS doing that. I cut gluten, I cut sugar and I cut dairy and 55 lbs fell off in a matter of 8 months. Fast forward to the holidays, reintroduce dairy, sugar and gluten, 26 lbs climb onto my frame in only 2 months, counting out the same number of calories and working out just as much as I did when the 55 lbs fell off. Fast forward again to January 6, when I again cut gluten, dairy and sugar... 9 lbs gone in a month. Same 2000 calorie diet. Same run schedule. Nothing changed but the food...

If all else stays the same, calorie deficit, workouts, sleep, etc, with only changing the types of food I put in my body, and the weight falls off, I'm inclined to believe it's the type of food that matters.

Your diary shows you eating between 1200 and 1400 calories. Not 2000 calories. And missed days logging.

You are losing weight because you have a significant deficit going on the days that you logged. Your habit on not logging regularly is probably what got you during the holidays, not because you decided to eat (too much) of foods with gluten, dairy and sugar in them.

Yes, the last two days I have eaten less - just not hungry. Check back to last week.

I use a notebook to log my foods. I enter them here when I have time...

Additionally, I am METICULOUS about weighing, measuring and reporting even SPICES in my recipes. You don't know JACK about what I do or how I log so how can you make these claims?

If you are going to make exorbitant claims, be prepared to back them up. I went back in your diary a ways. You seemed to have stopped logging altogether until Jan 22nd, where at first you were somewhere in the neighborhood of 1700 to 2000 cals. A few days of that, and now you are at 1200 to 1400 (with all of those being your EXPECTED ranges - you keep twiddling with your expected intake - why is that?). If you really were just 'not hungry' then you should show a much larger deficit, since according to you, your target is 2000. But that is not what your diary shows. I think you went back to logging after the holidays and the weight wasn't coming off as planned, so now you have dropped your calories. It is disingenuous to claim you are losing on 2000 calories when your OWN data does not support that.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Yes, after 30,000 years, suddenly gluten, dairy, and sugar are poisonous to humans. Makes perfect sense.:huh:

Well, I can see why milk would be a problem.

Studies have shown less then 40% of people retain the ability to digest milk properly once they grow up. No other animal out there drinks milk after becoming an adult. So though it is delicious and has benefits. It is not exactly natural.

Sugar was not in our original diets the way it is today, aside from fruits and the little found in vegetables. So again, it is not something natural in our diets.

And gluten...no clue. Cause I am still looking into that since I may have that intolerance myself it turns out.

Humans are the only creatures that continue to consume milk after we are weaned. We probably shouldn't. And cats whose humans give it to them. But it gives them diarrhea.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I was not able to drop much weight until I quit these three evils. Then it came off fast, and without even exercising.
    30 lbs in two months, bam, gone!
    After years of struggling and sweating and counting calories, only this was truly effective.
    Have kept it off 6 months now too, it is not coming back. Try it.

great! so while cutting out these items that can add alot of additional calories to the day, you were able to be in a deficit, and lose weight! thats great! i lose weight eating all these things, just in moderation, but, whatever works for you! congrats!
  • lynleeg88
    Options
    Ok - so then the other people that chimed in and said "yea, it is not just about calories in vs calories out"…what were they doing? I would suggest that 30 pounds was probably more than just water weight..

and I don't see how I am a troll for pointing out to people that a more sensible approach is to eat in a deficit, and continue to eat the foods that you like to eat…

Perhaps, you are trolling…?

It isn't that the OP was not sensible. Gluten, dairy, and sugar can wreak havoc on some people.

I know someone who would bloat badly if she accidentally ate gluten. I watched it. I was scared, cause her flat stomach swelled into the size of a preggo woman starting to show. I thought aliens were invading, and I'd have to put that poor woman down.

Dairy can cause digestive problems and make it harder to retain nutrients, and loose weight because of what it does to the colon.

No one said, and not the OP, that she did not use a calorie deficit diet, just that eliminating those finally helped her lose the weight. those products truly could have been inhibiting her. In college, my roommate had gluten problems and weight problems. She would diet, exercise, and was losing weight but very very slowly. she cut out gluten and it sped up ALOT.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...late, but in.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    btw: skittle are not evil.
  • jeardawg
    Options
    50 years ago smoking was good for you
    100 years ago cocaine was a cough medicine,
    100 years ago TB had an astronomical mortality rate.

right now we don't KNOW anything, but we have no hard scientific proof that food is good or bad for us intrinsically. The wheat you eat today is not the wheat your grandparents ate, and the milk you drink today has been exposed to stuff that didn't exist 50 years ago. There is a lot of stuff I don't know, I go with what works for me, when my doc tells me my blood pressure is down and things look great I know I am on the right track. It would sure be nice if we could allow everyone to express themselves, I hope we can trust that people can filter out the good from the bad.

Cigarettes, cocaine and TB are not evil either. None of them are intentionally malevolent. YOu choose to pick up a cigarette and smoke it and to snort cocaine. TB is a disease but it's just a byproduct of human weakness to that disease process, not an intention to do harm.

The word evil was not used in that post.

What I was implying is that we may in fact find out that gluten sugar and dairy are in fact poison ( they aren't as far as I know) but I am suggesting people (probably myself included) are prone to "knowing" things. When really all we really know is what works for us, which is exactly what the OP stated.
    30,000 years ago man was eating einkorn which is a natural wheat grain that had a bare fraction of the gluten that exists in our wheat today, the gluten levels in todays wheat spiked after the late 60s when we started intensive cross breeding programs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug here was the man resonsible.

sugars were natural prior to the industrial age and the average population only got a fraction of what they get now. Mostly from honey, which at the time was not homogenized. Some suggest that natural honey is a super food, I have no idea.

And milk is different now as well. We don't have to go milk cows to get it, we get it by the gallons. When taking into account the volume of milk drank now, and potential hazards to the milk in process. ( as I stated above I don't know anything about the actually content) but I do know how we use milk has changed.

No I do not think that anything is completely bad, but I am not willing to suggest that everything is completely harmless.

Diabetes and obesity are on the rise, we wouldn't be on this sight if foods we ate did not have the ability to hurt us. While I will NOT dismiss our complicity in the rise of these conditions among others. I am not willing to dismiss that the changing nature of the food itself and how we use it, may have changed its beneficial and harmful effects on the population.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Diabetes and obesity are on the rise, we wouldn't be on this sight if foods we ate did not have the ability to hurt us. While I will NOT dismiss our complicity in the rise of these conditions among others. I am not willing to dismiss that the changing nature of the food itself and how we use it, may have changed its beneficial and harmful effects on the population.

Because humans are much more sedentary and eating is considered a hobby and social activity.
  • jeardawg
    Options

Because humans are much more sedentary and eating is considered a hobby and social activity.
    and you, as a doctorate who has done trials and lengthy study are absolutely sure that this is the only possible answer, no doubt, no spectulation, your just certain?

good on you, omnipotence has arrived
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Probably because you didn't eat much food since you couldn't eat gluten, dairy, or sugar.
  • mccindy72
    Options

and you, as a doctorate who has done trials and lengthy study are absolutely sure that this is the only possible answer, no doubt, no spectulation, your just certain?

good on you, omnipotence has arrived

Didn't you just say you would not dismiss our complicity in the rise of these conditions?
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

tumblr_inline_mtc0o6rgaj1r3gb8t.gif

:laugh:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    btw: skittles are not evil.

well... they came out with a limited edition seahawks bag this week, so they're a little bit evil. :angry:
  • dzahner3
    dzahner3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow I am quite amazed at all the responses here. I put the details of my story in a blog post.
    I had about 40 lbs to lose. I cannot reply to all these posts, but who ever is interested can look at my story here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Elevensies

I only wanted to share my experience as I had this extra weight for many years and until I gave up these things, I was not having much success. I thought others may benefit from learning of my experience.

I know consume these three evils on occasion and in only small amounts. And by 'sugar' iI mean primarily processed sugar. I do not hide from raw honey or fruits, or even maple syrup. :-) But gluten, I am now avoiding permanently. I do not feel well after consuming it. And dairy only in very small amounts.

Please, please please stop calling them 'evils'. They are foods. There is no inherent malevalence in them. If they don't work for you, that's fine; they do work for many others.

OP can call these foods evil all she wants! They are evil to her. I call msg evil because it's evil to me! Are you going to tell me that I can't call msg evil?
    OP, I completley understand what you were intending to do and that was trying to help somebody else. Good for you!

You can call it what you want, but referring to it as 'evil' is incorrect, as 'evil' implies a direct intent to cause to harm and food cannot attempt to hurt you. You choose to eat it or not. It just sits there.

Yes, I can call it evil because thats my opinion. Just like it was the OP'S opinion. She was claming that that's what worked for her. She was not telling everyone that it would work for them.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    btw: skittles are not evil.

well... they came out with a limited edition seahawks bag this week, so they're a little bit evil. :angry:

I heard when you open the bag, all the Skittles fall on the floor and the bag yells "DON'T OPEN YOUR MOUTH OR I'LL SHUT IT FOR YOU! DON'T EVER TALK ABOUT ME. LEGION OF BOOM"
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!