Has anyone lost body fat not eating clean?

Options
1235»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    That is like saying ice cream is good for your health because it increases HDL, and ignoring that it increases LDL as well. You aren't using every health parameter, you are using the ones that fit your argument.

No, it's kind of the exact opposite of that. I'm arguing against the claim that "food x causes health outcome y."

The entire premise that an individual food, much less an individual BRAND of food, has some inherent health outcome is total insanity.

McDonald's doesn't inherently cause poor health, nor does it inherently cause good health. No individual food inherently causes any particular health outcome, period.
  • jkregers
    Options
    That is like saying ice cream is good for your health because it increases HDL, and ignoring that it increases LDL as well. You aren't using every health parameter, you are using the ones that fit your argument.

No, it's kind of the exact opposite of that. I'm arguing against the claim that "food x causes health outcome y."

The entire premise that an individual food, much less an individual BRAND of food, has some inherent health outcome is total insanity.

McDonald's doesn't inherently cause poor health, nor does it inherently cause good health. No individual food inherently causes any particular health outcome, period.

Haha, okay, I think I get it now.
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think most successful people on this site have lost weight without "eating clean". I have lost eating the same kinds of food, just less. I make sure I don't go over my calories and that I'm getting the correct ratios of macros.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Haha, okay, I think I get it now.

Excellent! :drinker:

I understand that my initial post appeared to basically say that McDonald's made my health improve etc, but I was assuming common sense would see beyond that. The whole point is that there's nothing wrong with fast food and it won't somehow automatically make your health worse.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I've seen a few threads around here asking if anyone as lost weight not eating clean and most of the answers are yes but as anyone lost body fat not eating clean? I hear that to lose weight all you need as a calorie deficit but to lose body fat you'll need to eat clean
    oooiknow-1.gifI've lost 127lbs in a year and a half while eating ice cream everyday, fast food, Poptarts, cake, cookies, candy cane hot chocolate etc. I'm sure that a good portion of that 127lbs was fat. :happy:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I've lost a little weight eating a variety of foods, including pizza, ice cream, and cookies.

Here's a recent blog I wrote to give you some better perspective:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/mfp-101-calories-macros-and-micros-617211

Yup.Drug of choice: chocolate every day for 500+ days.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Does eating my yogurt whilst looking at a pic of jonnythan in a towel count as clean eating? Because I could actually get on board with that diet plan. *off to google images for guys in towels*

:laugh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have never even attempted to eat clean. I've lost 45 lbs and dropped down to just below 20% body fat. I've been recomping for a year so I'm not eating at a deficit at all, just working out and hitting my macros.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have. For a while.

Problem is that from lack of nutrition I was hungry CONSTANTLY.

You've been warned.

I think you're excluding the middle a bit.

I don't eat clean. I DO make sure I get enough protein and fat, and 5 servings or more of fruit/veg per day. I'm not hungry and I'm not lacking nutrition. It can be done it just takes balance.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You need a calorie/energy deficit to lose weight. If you are in said deficit, body fat will be lost no matter what your food choices are. Lean body mass may also be burned up for fuel in a deficit (the amount varies depending on several factors). Resistance training helps mitigate the LBM loss.

Set your calorie limit and macros properly. Eat what you want to hit those numbers, and you will see results. Experiment. See what works best for you. I wouldn't start throwing foods out that you enjoy.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have. For a while.

Problem is that from lack of nutrition I was hungry CONSTANTLY.

You've been warned.

I think you're excluding the middle a bit.

I don't eat clean. I DO make sure I get enough protein and fat, and 5 servings or more of fruit/veg per day. I'm not hungry and I'm not lacking nutrition. It can be done it just takes balance.

+1
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    I usually don't shower before I eat
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have but you can't go crazy with it and expect to lose weight. If you are going to eat like that you need to monitor it closely so your calories don't get too high. If I know i'm going to have a "dirty" meal for dinner I will usually fast up until that point or I will get an intense cardio workout in.