The Beautiful People

Options
I have been having a converstaion over the past 2 days with a fellow MFP friend. I won't call him out, but I will say that in a way, the eye candy threads have kind of brought his mood down a bit. He mentioned that there are a bunch of beauitful people talking about how hot they all are. I am not one for pity parties and refused to let him stay there too long.

Here's the thing, often we see only what we want to see. We see skinny, we see six packs, we see sexy. Then we look at ourselves and we nit pick every last thing we don't like and make comparisons (ie I hardly ever get told I look good) What you don't always see is the story behind that six pack. You don't see the hard work that brought that person enough confidence to feel sexy. You have to remember that not a single person woke up with a rock hard body or flat stomach. There was a lot of sweat and hard work involved.

Many people started off over weight, unhealthy, or simply not having the body they want.They have had to learn, grow, motivate themselves, and make the commitment to make each day count towards the bigger picture.

I know my friend isn't the only one struggling. We all do at some point. Just remember this, there is beauty in all things. You are not going to transform yourself over night. Instead of seeing what is on the surface, try to look beyond the muscles and the toned bodies and look at what that person did to achieve it. Rather than wallow in self pity and shaming yourself, see that it can be done becuase there are some kick *kitten* people doing it every single day.

Replies

• ShapenerFiterrati
    ShapenerFiterrati Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This made my day, thanks beautiful <3
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have been having a converstaion over the past 2 days with a fellow MFP friend. I won't call him out, but I will say that in a way, the eye candy threads have kind of brought his mood down a bit. He mentioned that there are a bunch of beauitful people talking about how hot they all are. I am not one for pity parties and refused to let him stay there too long.

They're anonymous people on the internet. How do we know that's their picture? We don't.

And if someone needs to tell me how hot they are, they aren't hot. They're narcissistic asshats.
  • Marcus_Anthony
    Marcus_Anthony Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Excellent, well said.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    So true.

Last year I was on the beach when a 30-something woman parked herself next to me. She took off her cover-up, and was sporting an awesome six-pack. She then grabbed the hand of her toddler and headed to the water.

It struck me in that instant that when I was heavier I would have thought how lucky she was, and how inadequate I was. Instead, I thought "You go girl... you worked your *kitten* off for it!"
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

They're anonymous people on the internet. How do we know that's their picture? We don't.

And if someone needs to tell me how hot they are, they aren't hot. They're narcissistic asshats.

Not everyone comes with built in confidence. We don't know if these people are real or not. At the same rate, not everyone who posts is going to have fake photos. The point is, they worked hard for it. That doesn't make them narcissistic it also doesn't make someone who is struggling any less worthy of being told they are beautiful.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Comparison is the thief of joy....a famous president once said.

Thanks for the post :smile:
  • Marcia315
    Options

Not everyone comes with built in confidence. We don't know if these people are real or not. At the same rate, not everyone who posts is going to have fake photos. The point is, they worked hard for it. That doesn't make them narcissistic it also doesn't make someone who is struggling any less worthy of being told they are beautiful.

I give anyone credit who works hard for a great body, but you don't need to yammer on endlessly about it. The yammering makes you the narcissist, not the great body.

And anyone who is struggling needs to realize that not everyone and everything on the internet should be accepted at face value.

ETA: I didn't have the built in confidence until I was about 40. Now I don't give a **** what people think.
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options

I give anyone credit who works hard for a great body, but you don't need to yammer on endlessly about it. The yammering makes you the narcissist, not the great body.

And anyone who is struggling needs to realize that not everyone and everything on the internet should be accepted at face value.

I can get on board with your last statement 100%

However, sometimes the interent is the only place some of these people get the compliments. Sometimes this is the only place they are able to come and show off the hard work. Myself for example....full time single mom, full time job, 2 part time jobs and my closest family is thousands of miles away. I have friends but hardly see them often becuase of my schedule and becuase sitters are hard to come by. MFP is the only place I can be comfortable about "showing off" to any degree. Does my confidence revovle around hearing every day that someone thinks I look good, not at all, but it does give me a little pick me up. Especially when I don't think I am seeing results as quickly as I want to.

You have to put yourself out there to get the compliments, and like it or not, not everyone looks at themselves and see what others see. For some people it takes a lot to just put themselves out there even if it is on the computer.

ETA- I just saw your edit. At some point many people do get to that point. When they do it's an amazing thing! I think it's great that you can hold your head high and not care. Just becuase you don't care, doesn't mean that others have that same confidence.
  • Marcia315
    Options
    I see what you're saying.

However, there is a different between "Hey, l lost 10 pounds, and look at the definition in my abs now" vs. "I am a freakin' hottie, who wants to do me?"
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options
    I see what you're saying.

However, there is a different between "Hey, l lost 10 pounds, and look at the definition in my abs now" vs. "I am a freakin' hottie, who wants to do me?"

Very true, but for the most part a lot of that is sarcasm and just being silly. Again, nothing wrong with that either. People may not agree with "eye candy" being a form of appreciation, but really it is. There is nothing sexier than knowing a person is confident and putting themselves out there. Nothing sexier than knowing how hard that person has worked.
    It's easy to be flirty being a computer screen. At the end of the day though, you never know how much of that is reality for a person. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but I don't think it's fair to judge even those who think they are a freakin' hottie. Everyone deserve their spot light, and people will take that in many different forms.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    If you are beautiful, smart, a lady or a gentleman you don't have to announce it.

People can see it.:flowerforyou:
  • tegalicious
    Options
    Am I the only one who has a Marilyn Manson song stuck in my head now??
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    No.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    No.

Huzzah! Glad to see I am not alone lol!
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options
    If you are beautiful, smart, a lady or a gentleman you don't have to announce it.

People can see it.:flowerforyou:

Agreed. A lot of beauty comes with attitude. At the same time, you and Marcia are older than some of those who are throwing themselves out there. I think at some point in life it sinks in that there is far more to image than what is on the surface. I takes time to learn that, just as it takes time to work towards having that body you always wanted. It all seems to go hand in hand.
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options
    No.

Huzzah! Glad to see I am not alone lol!

Funny! That's all I could think about while he and I were having that conversation lol
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Nice post OP. I avoid those threads like the plague, mainly because I find them utterly boring. If I want someones nude pics, there's always kik. :wink:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    felt like this post could use this saying...

"Compete with yourself. There is no reason to be jealous of anyone else. I say we congratulate and motivate, rather than hate." ~ Bry Thurmond
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Here's the thing, often we see only what we want to see. We see skinny, we see six packs, we see sexy. Then we look at ourselves and we nit pick every last thing we don't like and make comparisons (ie I hardly ever get told I look good) What you don't always see is the story behind that six pack. You don't see the hard work that brought that person enough confidence to feel sexy. You have to remember that not a single person woke up with a rock hard body or flat stomach. There was a lot of sweat and hard work involved.

Many people started off over weight, unhealthy, or simply not having the body they want.They have had to learn, grow, motivate themselves, and make the commitment to make each day count towards the bigger picture.

I know my friend isn't the only one struggling. We all do at some point. Just remember this, there is beauty in all things. You are not going to transform yourself over night. Instead of seeing what is on the surface, try to look beyond the muscles and the toned bodies and look at what that person did to achieve it. Rather than wallow in self pity and shaming yourself, see that it can be done becuase there are some kick *kitten* people doing it every single day.

:heart: