The Beautiful People

Options

Replies

• 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Op, you are awesome for this post!

I don't bother with the eye candy threads, but that's just my personal preference. It has nothing to do with jealousy or bitterness. I know those people have worked super hard and for that, I say "Congratulations!!" You inspire me.

And for those who still have a long way to go, myself included, "You can do it!" (Think Waterboy for the full effect.)
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I choose to look at it like this: I have a friend who is currently prepping for a national bikini/physique show. She looks abso-freaking-lutely amazing. Drop dead gorgeous face and body. I can either cheer her on, be a source of support and encouragement, or I can seethe because I don't look like her.

Personally, I'll stick to being pumped for my friend. She worked her *kitten* off to get to where she is. She deserves it, and yeah, it's a huge part of her life. It's basically her job. She's no narcissist. And I'm thrilled for her. And do my best to learn her tricks, because I'd love to look like that! And besides, it's a lot easier to be happy for someone, than to want to shame them.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh 365lbs the first time around when I used MFP. I'm about 240 now (didn't gain anything back, just making another push to go lower). It was a lot of work for me to lose a whole person basically. However, all you have to do to completely discount all that work is put me next time an ab guy from one of those beautiful people threads. Some guy who's lost a couple pounds to go from mildly fit to more fit will always be worth more than the guy who's lost 125lbs until the second guy ends up with abs. I'm sure that's just some karmatic punishment for getting fat in the first place so I accept it. Kissing some pretty persons butt though because you think they've worked so hard is just silly though. I've worked hard too. I just didn't get the same result.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm not shaming those who,work hard and got a rocking bod. I'm shaming those who that's all they have going on in their life. And if all you (not you personally, the generic you) can talk about is how hot you are, you are a narcissist.

Girlfriend, you need to stop hating. And shaming. It's sad, really. Who are you to say that because anyone posts in a thread like that it's all they have going on in their lives? You really think you can tell that much about a person from such a small snippet of a comment? C'mon. People work hard, no matter if they've been in great shape all their lives, or they've got a brand new physique. Hard work always deserves kudos.

^This all day everyday

No one here needs to feel as if the body they have isn't good enough. At the same time, those who can't help but to feel that way need to understand that things go much deeper than a picture in a thread on a forum on some website. Obviously this isn't all a person has going on because they are showing off some bodies they worked hard for. There were many different bodies being shared in those threads, all of them fantastic! All of them deserving of kudos.

The point of this thread was to point out that yes, there are pics of beautiful people, but there is a story behind that body. A picture is worth 1,000 words.

"All day, every day" might mean they are like me and have an easy, peasy job.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I used to weigh 365lbs the first time around when I used MFP. I'm about 240 now (didn't gain anything back, just making another push to go lower). It was a lot of work for me to lose a whole person basically. However, all you have to do to completely discount all that work is put me next time an ab guy from one of those beautiful people threads. Some guy who's lost a couple pounds to go from mildly fit to more fit will always be worth more than the guy who's lost 125lbs until the second guy ends up with abs. I'm sure that's just some karmatic punishment for getting fat in the first place so I accept it. Kissing some pretty persons butt though because you think they've worked so hard is just silly though. I've worked hard too. I just didn't get the same result.

^^ That's absurd.

Congrats on your loss, but don't let other people's lives make you feel "discounted." DO NOT BELIEVE IT! I am still sitting at 190 pounds myself, but I am THRILLED to be here at this weight, so much so that I have spent several month maintaining this weight. Some random person might say, "Hey you are still fat," but I REFUSE to let asshats take ANYTHING away from my accomplishments.

Be proud of yourself! You are NOT a reflection of others!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    OP had the best of intentions, but it seems like some people took that original intention and took it and twisted to a shaming, hateful thread. Seriously, folks, it's too bad that some fun threads like the 'eye candy' threads cause hurt feelings, but they really are just silly, superficial things for fun. No one thinks that posting a bod picture is the heart and soul of a person. For the record, my profile picutre really is me, and I posted it because I am proud of the work I've done on my body. Does that define me? In the aspect that I'm a driven person who has found the will power to work out and stick to eating a certain diet, yes. In the aspect that a picture of my body shows what kind of a person I am, no. I am a wife, a mother, a friend, a boss, an employee, a citizen of earth. I try to be a nice person, and a friendly stranger. It's just a picture and the threads are just meant to be fun. Because I participate in them does not make me an asshat or a bad person. It just means I like to have a little fun. It doesn't define me.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

The point of my OP was missed. The point was to look beyond those looks and see what that person has worked for. There is one guy in there, I think his user name is littlebutbig who worked really damn hard for what he has. Not to mention, some men (and women) aren't going to lose a ton because they are gaining muscle. I have only lost 9lbs but I have dropped 3 pant sizes. That's a big deal! It IS a lot of work, and when you get there, you may want to show off as well.
    OP had the best of intentions, but it seems like some people took that original intention and took it and twisted to a shaming, hateful thread. Seriously, folks, it's too bad that some fun threads like the 'eye candy' threads cause hurt feelings, but they really are just silly, superficial things for fun. No one thinks that posting a bod picture is the heart and soul of a person. For the record, my profile picutre really is me, and I posted it because I am proud of the work I've done on my body. Does that define me? In the aspect that I'm a driven person who has found the will power to work out and stick to eating a certain diet, yes. In the aspect that a picture of my body shows what kind of a person I am, no. I am a wife, a mother, a friend, a boss, an employee, a citizen of earth. I try to be a nice person, and a friendly stranger. It's just a picture and the threads are just meant to be fun. Because I participate in them does not make me an asshat or a bad person. It just means I like to have a little fun. It doesn't define me.

This is exactly what I have been trying to get at. You look amazing and you have worked for it. Nothing wrong with showing what you've got, and nothing wrong with wanting to hear positive feed back. At the same time, a person who isn't to their goals shouldn't feel put off by it, it should give them the will power and motivation to keep going; seeing it is attainable.
  • mccindy72
    Options

The point of my OP was missed. The point was to look beyond those looks and see what that person has worked for. There is one guy in there, I think his user name is littlebutbig who worked really damn hard for what he has. Not to mention, some men (and women) aren't going to lose a ton because they are gaining muscle. I have only lost 9lbs but I have dropped 3 pant sizes. That's a big deal! It IS a lot of work, and when you get there, you may want to show off as well.

This is exactly what I have been trying to get at. You look amazing and you have worked for it. Nothing wrong with showing what you've got, and nothing wrong with wanting to hear positive feed back. At the same time, a person who isn't to their goals shouldn't feel put off by it, it should give them the will power and motivation to keep going; seeing it is attainable.

:flowerforyou:
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

First, admiring someone's dedication and results =/= ingratiating oneself to them.

Second, if you have worked hard. Have you let people know about it? Have you put yourself out there? You have no picture so I'm wondering if you haven't gotten validation because you haven't told your story. 125lbs lost tends to get a REALLY enthusiatic reaction around here, whether you're at goal or still in progress.

Third, and not necessarily to you, is a statement I've always believed and MFP proves it more often then I'd like.

People want you to be successful, until you are.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Y'all need some cheese with all that?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

First, admiring someone's dedication and results =/= ingratiating oneself to them.

Second, if you have worked hard. Have you let people know about it? Have you put yourself out there? You have no picture so I'm wondering if you haven't gotten validation because you haven't told your story. 125lbs lost tends to get a REALLY enthusiatic reaction around here, whether you're at goal or still in progress.

Third, and not necessarily to you, is a statement I've always believed and MFP proves it more often then I'd like.

People want you to be successful, until you are.

^^ True dat!

Post your picture and be proud!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

With all of what exactly? Some people have been ashamed of themselves for so long it is intimidating for them to see photos of people that have the muscles and toned looks. There is nothing wrong with getting down as long as you don't stay there. Losing weight is emotional for some people and can be very difficult for others. We become very self focused and self aware and it's hard to see the forest through the trees.

But yeah....if you're offering...make it feta please!
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    I have been having a converstaion over the past 2 days with a fellow MFP friend. I won't call him out, but I will say that in a way, the eye candy threads have kind of brought his mood down a bit. He mentioned that there are a bunch of beauitful people talking about how hot they all are. I am not one for pity parties and refused to let him stay there too long.

They're anonymous people on the internet. How do we know that's their picture? We don't.

And if someone needs to tell me how hot they are, they aren't hot. They're narcissistic asshats.

I have never heard the term narcissistic asshats, but I like it:laugh: That's as good as assbag!
  • msmegz23
    Options
    I use fit girls photos to motivate myself. However i remind myself, that you have your own beauty when you get fit, you won't look exactly like them. I think the singer Ciara, is yes a talented singer but also a fitness icon, to me. Hey, at least i'm not one of those girls who idolizes and envies the bodies of near death anorexic runway models. But yes I tell myself y her body is my fitsperation, but I will never be her and she will never be me.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

You are wrong. Neither person has intrinsic worth because of their physical appearance.

Although on the other hand, I would go out tonight but I haven't got a stitch to wear.

This man said "It's gruesome that someone so handsome should care"
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who has a Marilyn Manson song stuck in my head now??

Totally this - AND the 1980's Pantene commercial 'Don't hate me because I'm beautiful'.....................

Maybe you could 'morph' the two - and put Marilyn Manson in Pantene commercial................!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

With all of what exactly? Some people have been ashamed of themselves for so long it is intimidating for them to see photos of people that have the muscles and toned looks. There is nothing wrong with getting down as long as you don't stay there. Losing weight is emotional for some people and can be very difficult for others. We become very self focused and self aware and it's hard to see the forest through the trees.

I'll have pepperjack! And some Ritz! :bigsmile:
  • mccindy72
    Options

I'll have pepperjack! And some Ritz! :bigsmile:

Extra sharp cheddar and some gorgonzola for me.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

You are wrong. Neither person has intrinsic worth because of their physical appearance.

Although on the other hand, I would go out tonight but I haven't got a stitch to wear.

This! I've got a ton of so-called "beautiful 6-pack people" on my FL and the reason I love them so much is that they know their intrinsic worth comes from within, while celebrating the hell out of what they have achieved. What they have achieved is an outer reflection of their inward beauty. I don't "kiss their butts" because of the way they look, and I don't derive any sense of worth directly from the fact that they or I look they way we do.

I'm still over 300 lbs, and I thump my chest proudly like a gorilla, because I've lost and kept off more than 50 pounds, and the scale weight decreases while my lifting weight increases. It's a reflection of my drive, and desire. Inside, I fit with my friends because they feel the same way about themselves. We're bad *kitten*. The fact that they are beautiful just makes them more fun to look at.

There are people who derive their sense of worth from the way they look, but they only have any power over the way you feel about yourself if you let them.

So let the eye candy people have their threads. It doesn't do away with what you have accomplished, or can accomplish. Hold your head up and keep working. If nothing else, just go and enjoy the view.
  • mccindy72
    Options

This! I've got a ton of so-called "beautiful 6-pack people" on my FL and the reason I love them so much is that they know their intrinsic worth comes from within, while celebrating the hell out of what they have achieved. What they have achieved is an outer reflection of their inward beauty. I don't "kiss their butts" because of the way they look, and I don't derive any sense of worth directly from the fact that they or I look they way we do.

I'm still over 300 lbs, and I thump my chest proudly like a gorilla, because I've lost and kept off more than 50 pounds, and the scale weight decreases while my lifting weight increases. It's a reflection of my drive, and desire. Inside, I fit with my friends because they feel the same way about themselves. We're bad *kitten*. The fact that they are beautiful just makes them more fun to look at.

There are people who derive their sense of worth from the way they look, but they only have any power over the way you feel about yourself if you let them.

So let the eye candy people have their threads. It doesn't do away with what you have accomplished, or can accomplish. Hold your head up and keep working. If nothing else, just go and enjoy the view.

Hey. You are big, intimidating, manly, scary, eye candy.