The Beautiful People

Options

Replies

• WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I participate on those threads. And yeah, they are a confidence booster. A few years ago I was borderline morbidly obese. My husband was embarrassed to be seen with me, and made that very clear. I felt horrible about myself, and who I saw in the mirror.

So I started working out. Slowly at first. I did the Couch 2-5k. Some of the weight started dropping off. I started running races. I started going to the gym. I was still fat. Very fat. But less fat than I had been.

Then my husband left me. Rocked my world. Turned it upside down. He hooked up with this tiny little blonde girl, literally half my size, and 15 years younger than him. For the first time since high school, I was alone.

I hit the gym with a vengeance. And you know what, I came through it. I think I look pretty damn good. I feel confident in showing off all that hard work. Piss and moan about all you want about the "narcissistic asshats". But I worked goddamn hard for this. And I'll show it off any time.

Today I'm working out twice, because I can, and because I still have more hard work to put in. Stop cry babying about it, and put the hard work in yourself.

I don't think your last statement was very fair. While I do agree that hard work pays off and you should feel proud and be able to show it off, it's not cool to tell someone to stop cry babying. Just because someone has a moment where they are feeling defeated doesn't mean they are giving up. Just because someone looks at themselves in the mirror and feels ashamed of what they see, doesn't mean they are being a cry baby.
    Allowing someone to recognize their faults and pointing out their strengths is far more motivating than telling them they are a cry baby. Good for you for having that drive. Good for you for getting it done and bettering yourself. You do look fantastic, but other people may not have the same strength you have. Some need to be uplifted a bit to get past their heart aches.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I participate on those threads. And yeah, they are a confidence booster. A few years ago I was borderline morbidly obese. My husband was embarrassed to be seen with me, and made that very clear. I felt horrible about myself, and who I saw in the mirror.

So I started working out. Slowly at first. I did the Couch 2-5k. Some of the weight started dropping off. I started running races. I started going to the gym. I was still fat. Very fat. But less fat than I had been.

Then my husband left me. Rocked my world. Turned it upside down. He hooked up with this tiny little blonde girl, literally half my size, and 15 years younger than him. For the first time since high school, I was alone.

I hit the gym with a vengeance. And you know what, I came through it. I think I look pretty damn good. I feel confident in showing off all that hard work. Piss and moan about all you want about the "narcissistic asshats". But I worked goddamn hard for this. And I'll show it off any time.

Today I'm working out twice, because I can, and because I still have more hard work to put in. Stop cry babying about it, and put the hard work in yourself.

I don't think your last statement was very fair. While I do agree that hard work pays off and you should feel proud and be able to show it off, it's not cool to tell someone to stop cry babying. Just because someone has a moment where they are feeling defeated doesn't mean they are giving up. Just because someone looks at themselves in the mirror and feels ashamed of what they see, doesn't mean they are being a cry baby.
    Allowing someone to recognize their faults and pointing out their strengths is far more motivating than telling them they are a cry baby. Good for you for having that drive. Good for you for getting it done and bettering yourself. You do look fantastic, but other people may not have the same strength you have. Some need to be uplifted a bit to get past their heart aches.

It was in response to the narcissistic asshat comment thrown out there. I do think that's crybaby behavior.

Believe me, I totally understand how hard it is. I was overweight for YEARS. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and PCOS. I've had two kids. I convinced myself that no matter what I did, it was impossible to lose anything. I let myself stay fat. But I didn't shame other people who did work hard and who did look fantastic. My issues were mine. And ultimately I was the only one responsible for both gaining the weight, and losing it.
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options

It was in response to the narcissistic asshat comment thrown out there. I do think that's crybaby behavior.

Believe me, I totally understand how hard it is. I was overweight for YEARS. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and PCOS. I've had two kids. I convinced myself that no matter what I did, it was impossible to lose anything. I let myself stay fat. But I didn't shame other people who did work hard and who did look fantastic. My issues were mine. And ultimately I was the only one responsible for both gaining the weight, and losing it.

Gotcha! I just didn't want anyone who may be down to see that and think they are being told they are being cry babies.

That is a lot to overcome. I applaud you for it! I have asthma, a bum arm, and that's just the physical stuff to over come! I have a whole lot on my plate, but ya can't let it stop you, right?!?!

I also don't agree with the asshat comment (as I mentioned earlier). I think it's great that people can come here and show off! As you mentioned, this should be a motivator and not something that brings people down. We all have a story to tell and we all deserve to show off.
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    We all have a story to tell and we all deserve to show off.

Exactly :)
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

asshat
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options

asshat

Right! It's ok to be an asshat. Just don't be narcissistic :laugh: Glad we're all on the same page! (ps if I didn't check to see that you guys were friends I would have been so confused by that comment!)
  • ball_FXDWG
    ball_FXDWG Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have noticed an extremely high percentage of girls are insanely beautiful and the dudes look like they should be on the cover of mens health, but if they've worked so hard to look great it is pretty unfair to think they should hide their success.
  • summertime_girl
    Options

asshat

Don't make me kick your *kitten*, E :tongue:
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

asshat

I love your face like a fat kid loves cake
  • summertime_girl
    Options

asshat

I love your face like a fat kid loves cake

:love: :flowerforyou:
  • cecebrite
    cecebrite Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well said OP! I totally agree.
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I agree. Those threads are meant to make people feel like ****
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options

No....you're looking at it wrong. Those threads are not meant to make people feel like ****, they are meant to make people feel good about what they have accomplished.

It can be intimidating to see a bunch of gorgeous people posting those threads, but at the same time, there wasn't a single person being told they were "fat" or "ugly" or anything else like that. It's meant to be a virtual high five.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

I'm not shaming those who,work hard and got a rocking bod. I'm shaming those who that's all they have going on in their life. And if all you (not you personally, the generic you) can talk about is how hot you are, you are a narcissist.
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    I'm not shaming those who,work hard and got a rocking bod. I'm shaming those who that's all they have going on in their life. And if all you (not you personally, the generic you) can talk about is how hot you are, you are a narcissist.

Girlfriend, you need to stop hating. And shaming. It's sad, really. Who are you to say that because anyone posts in a thread like that it's all they have going on in their lives? You really think you can tell that much about a person from such a small snippet of a comment? C'mon. People work hard, no matter if they've been in great shape all their lives, or they've got a brand new physique. Hard work always deserves kudos.
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options

Girlfriend, you need to stop hating. And shaming. It's sad, really. Who are you to say that because anyone posts in a thread like that it's all they have going on in their lives? You really think you can tell that much about a person from such a small snippet of a comment? C'mon. People work hard, no matter if they've been in great shape all their lives, or they've got a brand new physique. Hard work always deserves kudos.

^This all day everyday

No one here needs to feel as if the body they have isn't good enough. At the same time, those who can't help but to feel that way need to understand that things go much deeper than a picture in a thread on a forum on some website. Obviously this isn't all a person has going on because they are showing off some bodies they worked hard for. There were many different bodies being shared in those threads, all of them fantastic! All of them deserving of kudos.

The point of this thread was to point out that yes, there are pics of beautiful people, but there is a story behind that body. A picture is worth 1,000 words.
  • Marcia315
    Options

m

I'm not hating. I'm stating my opinion. I also cannot tell what some one is like from one comment, however, i can often tell by seeing repeated posts about the same thing.

I agree hard work deserves kudos, but it's all in how it's presented.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

That's not even a little bit true.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I have been having a converstaion over the past 2 days with a fellow MFP friend. I won't call him out, but I will say that in a way, the eye candy threads have kind of brought his mood down a bit. He mentioned that there are a bunch of beauitful people talking about how hot they all are. I am not one for pity parties and refused to let him stay there too long.

They're anonymous people on the internet. How do we know that's their picture? We don't.

And if someone needs to tell me how hot they are, they aren't hot. They're narcissistic asshats.

Wow really ?? So people are not allowed to be proud of themselves? They aren't allowed to show what their hard work has done for them and feel great about it? Jealous is very very ugly my friend.
  • Marcia315
    Options
    I have been having a converstaion over the past 2 days with a fellow MFP friend. I won't call him out, but I will say that in a way, the eye candy threads have kind of brought his mood down a bit. He mentioned that there are a bunch of beauitful people talking about how hot they all are. I am not one for pity parties and refused to let him stay there too long.

They're anonymous people on the internet. How do we know that's their picture? We don't.

And if someone needs to tell me how hot they are, they aren't hot. They're narcissistic asshats.

Wow really ?? So people are not allowed to be proud of themselves? They aren't allowed to show what their hard work has done for them and feel great about it? Jealous is very very ugly my friend.

((Head desk))

No, no, no, that's not what I'm saying. Post pics, talk about your workout, show off a little. But if your hotness is your sole topic of conversation, that's a problem.