Which is worse...

Options
124»

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    This is me with OHP. That's easily my worst lift, and I feel like such a dork when I'm lifting as hard as I can and grunting to get the bar up...with my 2.5 lb plates on either side.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I want to start strength training along with my cardio. I'll be lucky if I can bench just the bar.

>.<

I started with the standard bar, because the Oly bar was too heavy. A month later, and the Oly bar is a piece of cake. You'll be fine! :wink:

Own every lift like you just set a world record, then yesterdays lift is no longer good enough for today.

Yep :)
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    meh, I don't worry about that crap.
    If someone is busy looking at what's on my bar they're either A) nosey or B) missing the point of yoga pants.

Either way, their problem, not mine.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's 5 lb increments to your working weight (adding 5s would be 10lbs), so the plate math makes it 2 x 2.5s.

Even 5/3/1 does this for the training maxes too... though every 4 weeks for upper. Keeps the needle moving.

So again, this was a joke, because the cookies are a big part of serious weight training. They just look funny as hell on the bar alone.

lol I know adding 5's would be adding 10 lbs total- I've lifted once or twice ;)

But if someone told me to jump in 5 lb increments- that's what I would do- unless it specified 5 lbs total.

DYEMathematics?
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    For some reason, it took me forever to increase my the weight significantly on the bench press. I moved up pretty quickly on most other weights, but I really had to work harder at this one. Maybe it's just me?

For me, it's the fear of failure without a spotter. Just having some dude standing there will give me 2 more reps. He doesn't even have to touch anything.

This! This was my initial problem as well. Luckily, the members at my gym are pretty cool and helpful about spotting and things like that.

i've completely hit the wall at 85lb bench press - i'm doing stronglifts 5x5 and have been stuck at 85 for about 2 weeks now ...THIS is where those 2.5 lbs really come in handy - when i get the nerve to finally go up , those 2.5lb weights are not scary and i tell myself "come on, you got that !"

when I add 5's to my DL... (so 10 lbs total) I tell myself all I have added is my fat cat to the bar.

if I add 10's- I tell myself I have added a small dog.

Some how that makes me feel better.

Lmao... I'm going to start imagining super fluffy kitties and puppies hanging off the sides of the bar when I'm squatting.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    B) missing the point of yoga pants.

:laugh:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Lmao... I'm going to start imagining super fluffy kitties and puppies hanging off the sides of the bar when I'm squatting.

I swear it helps.

one fat cat.

two fat cat

okay- we are up to a small dog. go for it. LMAO