Pissed with my husband's negativity

Options
I'm really annoyed with my husband right now. Today I reached a very good milestone for me. I have lost 15 lbs in 5 months and I have a BMI of 19.5. I got myself tested today with my progress with body fat and it was significantly improved. I'm now in the athletic category for women as far as body fat percentage goes. I told my husband and his response annoyed me. He said "gross that's too skinny. You have a BMI of 19.5? That so close to underweight". I got annoyed because I was happy about reaching my goals and instead of being happy for me, he just made me feel bad about myself. Tonight I tried to talk to him that what he said hurt my feelings and then he went and started talking about how I'm getting too skinny and his ideal is like the celeb Nicole scherzinger, megan fox and he showed me a couple photos of Miami dolphins cheerleaders. Which I found odd since all of them are effing skinner than me. So now I'm just upset. He tries to make feel better by saying a bunch of stupid things that don't even make sense as he is struggling to salvage the situation. Now I just don't know what to do. I'm finally happy with my body and it took a lot of hard work to get to where I am but I have this negativity that my husband doesn't like my body. I'm sorry for the rant. I guess I'm just sharing.

Replies

• creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I had some really good advice for you and your relationship, but after seeing you're a 3rd year medical student and browsing through your pictures it is in my best interest to see your relationship fail.

Good luck, but I'm here if it doesn't work out.

Not serious... It sounds like it could be a number of issues. My first recommendation is to go to marriage counseling now.
  • Trenchant
    Options
    Losing weight should never be done for the benefit of someone else, and while being healthier and happier, and completing personal goals is great, body image obsession is never a healthy situation, along with your health benefits you must build your own self efficacy, your confidence, and your own beliefs on your body image. If you are happy with your body that all that matters. You don't need the approval of someone else for your own effort, and no one has the right to tell anyone how the should or shouldn't look. period.

That being said, how a woman looks has been the last factor I have ever used to maintain a healthy relationship. Personality, communication, and mutual respect will always last much longer in a relationship than body image.

In terms of the image issues, have some more confidence, they say beauty is skin deep and its true, who you are inside is much more important. On your husband... well not much to say there, except perhaps talk to him earnestly about how he made you feel and try to work it out, I'm sure he finds you just as beautiful as any cheerleader lol
  • LeopardSurd
    LeopardSurd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    He is doing wrong. Be happy with your body and continue to be a strong confidential woman. As a medical student, it's important to believe in you. I know what I'm saying because I'm a medical doctor with a history of obesity and overweight.

Your husband will accept you as you are. He loves you but perhaps needs a little more time. :) For me, there is no ideal woman except the woman I love. I've learned that once upon.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    First of all, as a fellow skinny person, I understand EXACTLY why you're losing weight. I was skinny fat. Always thin, but squishy and no muscle whatsoever. It all depends on your frame and how you carry weight and muscle. When people heard I was trying to lose, I got the same kind of backlash. But what they don't realize is that it all comes down to BODY FAT PERCENTAGE. It is your body fat compared to your total mass. Just because your weight is low and your BMI is low, it is still about how much fat/muscle you are carrying. IF you're like me, I don't have a lot muscle and therefore weigh a lot less than someone who is the same height as me and athletic, and I would still have more fat to lose.

Secondly, you need to explain that to your husband. Some people just build muscle differently and are heavier (but can look the same). This doesn't mean you're too skinny, it's how you work out and put on weight.

Lastly, you also need to tell your husband that while you love him and appreciate his thoughts, HE DOESN'T get to decide how you look or how your body looks. If that is the rule, you should demand that he gets six pack abs and looks like Channing Tatum. He needs to appreciate and love you no matter how you look fat or thin. It is your choice, not his.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    My guess is something else is going on, and this is just a vehicle for redirection.

Either that, or he's an idiot. Which is always a plausible option with males, especially in that age bracket. :laugh:
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Marriage counseling or divorce. I don't see much alternative. I would not allow a person who was supposed to love me continue to treat me this way.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My first thought reading that is he is an idiot. Not sure who would take the time to show their wife pictures of other woman they want them to look like.

It sounds like you are doing great and I agree with what others have said, be happy for yourself. Is he a bit out of shape? Maybe a little jealousy that you are getting in better shape?
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    +1 more for idiot. You look great!
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the excellent advice. We are trying to clear our heads and we are planning to talk again about this topic a little later. I think I'm being too sensitive and everyone is right that I really need to be the one happy about my weight and be confident despite what my husband thinks. Knowing him he's probably just being stupid and saying things he doesn't know the implications of. He should know better though (he is 8 years older than me) but I guess he doesn't. I'm not really skinny fat. I have a body fat percentage of 17% and I work out regularly. I am not ripped but I'm fairly muscular. I think he just needs to get used to me being smaller and maybe my quite fast weight loss freaked him out a bit. As with the counseling, yeah I'm sure we need it. We are fairly happy with our relationship but we do get into arguments with misunderstanding as the main culprit. We need to work out with our communication better.
  • fitphoenix22
    Options
    He sounds insecure... it seems like he tears you down so that when someone comes along that is more ((insert his insecurity here)) than he is, you won't think you're worthy of a man like that.

For what it's worth, I think you look awesome and 19.5% BF is amazing! Congrats on hitting your goal!
  • kristynamanda31
    kristynamanda31 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    OMG, I browsed through your pictures and you are absolutely stunning!!! Megan Fox and the rest of the celebs have nothing on you. It seems to me, that your husband is intimidated by your strong goals and achievements. Maybe he has an insecurity about himself and by seeing his wife reach a goal, it makes him feel insecure about himself? That's all I can come up with. Other than that, he sounds like a jerk! Do NOT let him bring you down. You've done an excellent job. You seriously look great. You're an inspiration. And by the way, you're right, those celebrities are skinnier than you and in my opinion you look tons better.
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    My first thought reading that is he is an idiot. Not sure who would take the time to show their wife pictures of other woman they want them to look like.

It sounds like you are doing great and I agree with what others have said, be happy for yourself. Is he a bit out of shape? Maybe a little jealousy that you are getting in better shape?

Yeah actually he is a out of shape and he's unhappy with his body for years now. I try to help him by trying to motivate him about working out and eating healthy. But he has some issues with overeating/emotional eating. He is a medical student too and when he gets stressed out, he eats unhealthily sometimes behind my back. His guilty pleasure is pizza/chicken wings and when he stays up at night, I would see empty boxes of kfc boxes hidden in the drawers the next morning. He is working on it though and has lost about 8 lbs since this year started and he goes to overeaters anonymous meetings sometimes. But yeah you are right. Maybe the fact that he is discontent with his body played a role with his negativity.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    (he is 8 years older than me)

Ah, well, that's a potential problem. If a guy hasn't smartened up by 30, he's pretty much a lost cause.

Good luck!
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Focus on YOU and only YOU!!!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    (he is 8 years older than me)

Ah, well, that's a potential problem. If a guy hasn't smartened up by 30, he's pretty much a lost cause.

Good luck!

This.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the jerk you decided to marry is taking out his own insecurities on you.
  • nightshutter
    Options
    Judging by your pics, the issue is HIM. You should be very proud. Unfortunately he is taking his own issues out on you.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I'm failing to see the difference between you and the women he showed you pictures of (except maybe the fake boobs, and some of them are so skinny you can count their ribs). He's obviously projecting with his own insecurities. I hope you figure it out - you shouldn't have to feel like your husband is just begrudgingly accepting your body when you've worked so hard and look so good. He should be thrilled and proud just like you are.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people have touched on the root issue, with him being older, and out of shape. Yours is not an uncommon story.

But it's also threads like this that baffle me. How do people feel comfortable opening up their spouses, the supposed loves of their lives, to this kind of attack from strangers? It's one thing to vent, but I'm shocked people around here just sit back and let folks call their husbands and wives all kinds of names. Amazing. I wish a mofo would with my amazing wife.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    your body is for you not anybody else - gotta be comfortable in your own skin