Is a calorie a calorie?

Options

Replies

• DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter where that 100 calories comes from when you're only talking weight gain and weight lose. Overall health has nothing to do with caloric intake.
  • DeadliftAddict
    Options
    Yes, but they are NOT created equal!

Wrong. 1 calorie of brocoli is the same as 1 calorie of chocolate. The OP asked the question in a caloric management way. Not health.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    This is sad because very poor information is dominating this thread. OP, this has been posted 100,000 times this month alone. Go read other threads about this. Yours has been stolen by people that are pushing their agenda that there are good and bad calories. Reading too much Gary Taubes, I suspect. A calorie is a unit of measure. You can lose weight eating nothing but twinkies if you have a calorie deficit. Is it healthy to do that? Of course not. But, to answer your question, yes, a calorie is just a calorie. It is a unit of measure. To deny that fact is to say a mile isn't a mile or 5 lbs isn't 5 lbs. it's a silly trite argument. Yes, a calorie is a calorie.

I love Guitar Gary's response... as I read through everyone's responses... it occurs to me they are not talking about the calorie at all... they are referring to the other things like proteins, carbs, fats, etc. that accompany the calorie that make it difficult to lose weight in a healthy way. A calorie is just a calorie... it's the amount of calories, proteins, carbs, fats, sodium, etc. that have to be balanced in order to lose weight in a healthy way.

If you choose to eat something that isn't considered healthy... do it sparingly, log it in and keep on moving forward.
  • DeadliftAddict
    Options
    If any of you had paid attention at the very beginning, you'd have noticed that the original advice was not to eat just twinkies, or just cookies, or just lettuce, or just anything. The original advice is always to find the best balance of food that works for you in moderation, for sustainability. Most people aren't going to find success in weight loss by giving up the foods they like and eating only carrots and chicken. They are going to find success by eating a good combination of protein, carbs, fats and vegetables and fruits, with some treat food thrown in for enjoyment, all while working out how to keep a calorie deficit. That's why we advise still eating a Twinkie now and then if you want it, and eating at McD's now and then if you want it. If you don't want it, don't eat it. But don't come on here and tell everyone else who is struggling to lose weight and might be feeling guilty about eating a cheeseburger that they've now destroyed their bodies by eating such "HORRIBLE" food. Food is not 'bad' and won't hurt you, not in moderation. It absolutely destroys the confidence of the noobs who are just getting started when they try to ask questions about calories and fat and carbs and everyone who is doing Paleo and low-carb and vegan jumps down their throats about how they are destroying not only their own bodies, but the very planet itself by eating fast food or something that's not on some dietary list of acceptable food.

Here's a little secret for you: no matter how clean you eat, or how healthy, or how much you weigh, or how pretty you are, you're still going to die.

Perfect!!!!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

the wheels on the bus....
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

Where did I say people should only eat twinkies and where did I say you were wrong. Person stated you can lose weight even if your deficit was from twinkies, you stated "I'd like to see you try", poseter said it has been done, I agreed with that poster and stated it could be done with McDonalds (Said Science teacher was able to hit his calorie goals AND macros BTW)

You're trying too hard now.

"Technically, I didn't say that" "Technically I didn't say you were wrong" "Technically you can eat only Twinkies and lose weight" "Technically it wasn't me, it was the previous poster"

You were adding support to misleading information. "Technically" I didn't say you said it. I said you were suggesting it.

You're not trying hard enough. Or at all, really, to help anyone understand the issue. It's complicated and has two sides. It IS just math, BUT successfully losing weight, for the overwhelming majority of people, involves more than JUST counting calories. Why? Because how you consume those calories does different things to your body. And just saying "yes, a calories is a calorie" is incomplete information that is likely to mislead people. And so is, as I said before, suggesting that people ONLY eat foods that are considered "healthy" and trying to give up every treat they love. It's a balance, and to find the right balance for YOU you have to understand the issue in practical reality. Not an anecdote. Presenting either side of the equation alone is misleading.
  • DeadliftAddict
    Options

Lol... Love it.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Where did I say people should only eat twinkies and where did I say you were wrong. Person stated you can lose weight even if your deficit was from twinkies, you stated "I'd like to see you try", poseter said it has been done, I agreed with that poster and stated it could be done with McDonalds (Said Science teacher was able to hit his calorie goals AND macros BTW)

You're trying too hard now.

"Technically, I didn't say that" "Technically I didn't say you were wrong" "Technically you can eat only Twinkies and lose weight" "Technically it wasn't me, it was the previous poster"

You were adding support to misleading information. "Technically" I didn't say you said it. I said you were suggesting it.

You're not trying hard enough. Or at all, really, to help anyone understand the issue. It's complicated and has two sides. It IS just math, BUT successfully losing weight, for the overwhelming majority of people, involves more than JUST counting calories. Why? Because how you consume those calories does different things to your body. And just saying "yes, a calories is a calorie" is incomplete information that is likely to mislead people. And so is, as I said before, suggesting that people ONLY eat foods that are considered "healthy" and trying to give up every treat they love. It's a balance, and to find the right balance for YOU you have to understand the issue in practical reality. Not an anecdote. Presenting either side of the equation alone is misleading.

:laugh:
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    in
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options
    If any of you had paid attention at the very beginning, you'd have noticed that the original advice was not to eat just twinkies, or just cookies, or just lettuce, or just anything. The original advice is always to find the best balance of food that works for you in moderation, for sustainability. Most people aren't going to find success in weight loss by giving up the foods they like and eating only carrots and chicken. They are going to find success by eating a good combination of protein, carbs, fats and vegetables and fruits, with some treat food thrown in for enjoyment, all while working out how to keep a calorie deficit. That's why we advise still eating a Twinkie now and then if you want it, and eating at McD's now and then if you want it. If you don't want it, don't eat it. But don't come on here and tell everyone else who is struggling to lose weight and might be feeling guilty about eating a cheeseburger that they've now destroyed their bodies by eating such "HORRIBLE" food. Food is not 'bad' and won't hurt you, not in moderation. It absolutely destroys the confidence of the noobs who are just getting started when they try to ask questions about calories and fat and carbs and everyone who is doing Paleo and low-carb and vegan jumps down their throats about how they are destroying not only their own bodies, but the very planet itself by eating fast food or something that's not on some dietary list of acceptable food.

Here's a little secret for you: no matter how clean you eat, or how healthy, or how much you weigh, or how pretty you are, you're still going to die.

I agree with this 100%. I think that's what the OP was looking for. To me that seems much more helpful than pointing out that one person lost weight eating only Twinkies. It's not a strategy that's likely to work for most people or give the results they're looking for. Thanks for following up with this very helpful post. Well said. (And if you'd read more than the first six words of my post, pretty much exactly what I said in the first place.)
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options

Perfect!!!!
    I get your point, but I have to tell you that when I am on maintenance, my "splurge" will be something like a margarita or a piece of cheesecake. I used to like hohos and ring dings when I was a little kid, I really have no interest now, and I never did like twinkies. :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I agree with this 100%. I think that's what the OP was looking for. To me that seems much more helpful than pointing out that one person lost weight eating only Twinkies. It's not a strategy that's likely to work for most people or give the results they're looking for. Thanks for following up with this very helpful post. Well said. (And if you'd read more than the first six words of my post, pretty much exactly what I said in the first place.)

Yep, and all I did was agree that weight loss was achieved through the Twinkie Diet, which to me shows you don't need to cut anything out of your diet to lose weight. All foods can be included.
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options
    Yep, and all I did was agree that weight loss was achieved through the Twinkie Diet, which to me shows you don't need to cut anything out of your diet to lose weight. All foods can be included in moderation.

Fixed that for you. Okay, my work here is done. I think we all agree. Eat good food, and include some treats you like without feeling bad about it. And eating only Twinkies is probably not a good idea.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Go round and round...
  • john062
    john062 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is sad because very poor information is dominating this thread. OP, this has been posted 100,000 times this month alone. Go read other threads about this. Yours has been stolen by people that are pushing their agenda that there are good and bad calories. Reading too much Gary Taubes, I suspect. A calorie is a unit of measure. You can lose weight eating nothing but twinkies if you have a calorie deficit. Is it healthy to do that? Of course not. But, to answer your question, yes, a calorie is just a calorie. It is a unit of measure. To deny that fact is to say a mile isn't a mile or 5 lbs isn't 5 lbs. it's a silly trite argument. Yes, a calorie is a calorie.

but how can 5 miles be the same as 5 miles? makes no sense!

shouldn't the question be is 5 miles up hill the same as 5 miles down hill
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

but how can 5 miles be the same as 5 miles? makes no sense!

shouldn't the question be is 5 miles up hill the same as 5 miles down hill

It is still the same as a measure of distance.
  • doug_pierce
    Options
    Nope. A calorie is a water buffalo.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss: a calorie is a calorie.
    To lose weight you need a calorie deficit, your body does not care where those calories come from

In terms of health: 1 calorie does not equal 1 calorie

"All calories are equal but some calories are more equal than others"

This is where there is a lot of debate in regards to what calories/macros/micro are best and in what ratio.
    Some people prefer low carb, others swear by higher protein. It all depends on your goal and how your body reacts to different foods.

THIS!

+3

This plus 1 more....

The difference for me is how those calories make me FEEL. I feel better when I eat more whole and un-processed foods. I make room for junk too. However, the healthier I eat, the more I get to eat. :) I also found that as I added more wholesome foods into my diet, the processed stuff just started to fall away....

I primarily focus on Protein first. I aim to get over 100g per day. I aim to keep my Carbs under 150g per day. The rest can fall where it may. If I can fit chocolate in I will....I have cream in my coffee. I eat at a MODERATE deficit. I left heavy weights.

This is what makes ME feel my best, and this is what is sustainable for ME.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Sometimes in these boards it doesn't come across that way. I am just looking at it from another angle. She didn't specify, but she didn't say she didn't want to be healthy either. Nothing wrong with putting it out there, because some people honestly don't realize that they can't live off those food sources long term and try to.

but the original question was this
    Let’s say I eat 100 calorie dessert verses a 100 calorie piece of fish, would it make a difference when trying to lose weight?

and the anser is NO a big fat resounding chocolate filled honey dipped carb laced, sugar coated

NO

Answer the question don't put a spin on it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Sometimes in these boards it doesn't come across that way. I am just looking at it from another angle. She didn't specify, but she didn't say she didn't want to be healthy either. Nothing wrong with putting it out there, because some people honestly don't realize that they can't live off those food sources long term and try to.

but the original question was this
    Let’s say I eat 100 calorie dessert verses a 100 calorie piece of fish, would it make a difference when trying to lose weight?

and the anser is NO a big fat resounding chocolate filled honey dipped carb laced, sugar coated

NO

Answer the question don't put a spin on it.
    But if we consume both, would be die, or be questioned by the diet police, or what if the fish was dessert.....very confusing stuff. :bigsmile: