Is a calorie a calorie?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Sometimes in these boards it doesn't come across that way. I am just looking at it from another angle. She didn't specify, but she didn't say she didn't want to be healthy either. Nothing wrong with putting it out there, because some people honestly don't realize that they can't live off those food sources long term and try to.

but the original question was this
    Let’s say I eat 100 calorie dessert verses a 100 calorie piece of fish, would it make a difference when trying to lose weight?

and the anser is NO a big fat resounding chocolate filled honey dipped carb laced, sugar coated

NO

Answer the question don't put a spin on it.
    But if we consume both, would be die, or be questioned by the diet police, or what if the fish was dessert.....very confusing stuff. :bigsmile:

I think I prefer my chocolate filled honey dipped carb dipper sugar coat No to fish for dessert and I love fish....:laugh:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Sometimes in these boards it doesn't come across that way. I am just looking at it from another angle. She didn't specify, but she didn't say she didn't want to be healthy either. Nothing wrong with putting it out there, because some people honestly don't realize that they can't live off those food sources long term and try to.

but the original question was this
    Let’s say I eat 100 calorie dessert verses a 100 calorie piece of fish, would it make a difference when trying to lose weight?

and the anser is NO a big fat resounding chocolate filled honey dipped carb laced, sugar coated

NO

Answer the question don't put a spin on it.
    But if we consume both, would be die, or be questioned by the diet police, or what if the fish was dessert.....very confusing stuff. :bigsmile:

I think I prefer my chocolate filled honey dipped carb dipper sugar coat No to fish for dessert and I love fish....:laugh:

Because chocolate.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    So, it is fair to say a calorie is a calorie but not calories are created equal. Personally, I like the old Abbott and Costello bit, "Who's On First?"
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Hostess Twinkie:

Calories 150
    Calories from Fat 41
    Total Fat 4.5g 7%
    Saturated Fat 2.5g 13%
    Cholesterol 20mg 7%
    Sodium 220mg 9%
    Carbohydrates 27.0g 9%
    Dietary Fiber 0.0g 0%
    Sugars 18.0g
    Protein 1.0g
    [/quote]

A Twinkie only has 150 calories?!? *runs to store*
  • Aundrea242
    Options
    And those threads have become so common now, most do just say yes....

And then wait for the "OMG I crash and burned" thread.
    [/quote]

Just because I asked a question, I am now doomed to be a failure? I know it is important to eat right. I stated that to begin with. I was curious. I am new and I now understand to do a search before asking, but just to be fair I bet 90% of the questions asked on this board has been asked before. I have been keeping track of my exercise and calories and I am learning a lot about myself and I was really excited I found this place. I know I am going to have up and downs, but it is nice to have someone to share it with. But when people get mean it makes me scared to reach out or be part of the community. I do thank everyone else that was trying to help.
  • Aundrea242
    Options
    my down fall is International Delight creamer with sugar in my coffee. I have two cups of coffee in the morning and in the evening I have tea with sugar.

I have to ask this...if you're having all that sweet creamer, why do you need sugar, too? Cutting out the sugar right there would help b/c that stuff is already loaded with sugar. I have it every couple months (usually around Christmas/Thanksgiving b/c of the holiday flavors). It's just something I wondered b/c I know a few women who do this and wondered...why? The creamer alone is all I can tolerate!

I cannot explain why, I just love a lot sugar in coffee and tea. But I am better in other areas, I only eat potato chips or fried foods no more than five times a year and I love veggies. Many of us have our down falls when it comes to food. In my last post about this I did say I stopped adding sugar to the coffee and that I am working on trying to cut down on the sugar in the tea and stop with the weight watchers desserts.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    A calorie is not a calorie. It's a lawn mower
  • ChaplainHeavin
    Options

Just because I asked a question, I am now doomed to be a failure? I know it is important to eat right. I stated that to begin with. I was curious. I am new and I now understand to do a search before asking, but just to be fair I bet 90% of the questions asked on this board has been asked before. I have been keeping track of my exercise and calories and I am learning a lot about myself and I was really excited I found this place. I know I am going to have up and downs, but it is nice to have someone to share it with. But when people get mean it makes me scared to reach out or be part of the community. I do thank everyone else that was trying to help.
    [/quote]
  • ChaplainHeavin
    Options
    I think you asked a good question and I'm not involved in these discussions very much and would never have thought to research to see if a question has already been brought up. My wife and daughter both have degrees in exercise and health science and if you were to ask them, "Is a calorie a calorie" I'm pretty sure their answers might be a bit different but in the long run say, "yes." And my advice to you about those who ridicule you or anyone else because of their superior intelligence, just ignore them. Hope you do well in your pursuit of the healthy lifestyle.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Most of us do want to help. I started a new thread, regarding calories and food types, if you can find it, I broke down the basics of the information I was trying to convey that got lost in the flood in this thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1191142-calorie-sources-and-the-bottom-line
  • Aundrea242
    Options
    Thank you eheavin0 and Mccindy.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I broke down the basics of the information I was trying to convey that got lost in the flood in this thread.

Yeah. Loved the summation.
    Here's a little secret for you: no matter how clean you eat, or how healthy, or how much you weigh, or how pretty you are, you're still going to die someday.

Bowl of sunshine. lol.