Am I the only one who feels awkward squating?

Options
I know squats are super important. But as soon as I catch someone looking at me while I squat, back on the treadmill I go! I get weirdly self-conscious about it. Please tell me I'm not the only one hahaha

Replies

• taniad4
    Options
    Not the only one at all lol. We do squats at work while at the computer, guess it helps if we are all looking funny at the same time.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I described my first experience with free weights as "doing all kinds of math (for the plates), spending less than a minute doing something that looks like you're pooping, then sitting around waiting to do it again-then more math.

No. You're not the only one.
  • naomijuliette96
    naomijuliette96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    hahaha you get more comfortable as your form improves! I feel like a bad-*kitten* while squatting now!
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    doing something that looks like you're pooping

THAT'S what's been wrong with my form! This I can remember. THANKS, Vitamin. You're the Best!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I look around first.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about your form.

But yeah, it's uncomfortable the first few times. People look at each other in the weight room- it's socially acceptable behavior since you have downtime between sets. They probably are pinging more on you because you're an unfamiliar female, but they're also looking at the other guys benching, and the guys curling, whatever. Just ignore it and finish your workout. Force yourself to get through it, because 1) they'll look less once you're a regular and 2) you'll get used to the weight room eyeballing.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    doing something that looks like you're pooping

THAT'S what's been wrong with my form! This I can remember. THANKS, Vitamin. You're the Best!

Simple is always best :)
  • Soufre
    Soufre Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    spending less than a minute doing something that looks like you're pooping

This is why I feel weird. It totally looks like I'm about to drop a deuce :blushing:
  • Soufre
    Soufre Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about your form.

But yeah, it's uncomfortable the first few times. People look at each other in the weight room- it's socially acceptable behavior since you have downtime between sets. They probably are pinging more on you because you're an unfamiliar female, but they're also looking at the other guys benching, and the guys curling, whatever. Just ignore it and finish your workout. Force yourself to get through it, because 1) they'll look less once you're a regular and 2) you'll get used to the weight room eyeballing.

This too. I just started incorporating weights into my workout and lo and behold I'm the only lady there...

Edited for grammar
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. Nobody sees me.

Except that weirdo who keeps looking in my window.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTQixwTr1dkYBsJOzhn-eDqSp27EBg0b1KIe1b9EPp3m5HJlkVQw
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    They're either staring at your *kitten* or your form is really off
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    [generalization] Guys are either checking you out or admiring your mobility and wondering why you go so deep. [/generalization]
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'm a 41 year old man. The only time people look at me is when I'm carrying something that looks like it could be used as a weapon, lol. Anyway, no-- I don't feel self conscious squatting.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    before the TOILET WAS INVENTED people had to dig a hole and squat to poopie.

In china and korea, I see people just squat down in a perfect squat position and take a smoke break for 10-20 min... pretty impressive lol.

Point? no point lol
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Also, I see girls checking my bum out while I do squats and I feel like a piece of meat and hate it.... not.

:D
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean op,

When I squat people stop and stare, never has such weight been squatted to such depth in a commercial gym.

People who hate the gym turn up to admire me, people who aren't even members have to pay for a day pass to witness such magnificence. I've had crowds of illegal migrants travel across Europe in a dustbin just to tape one of my max effort sessions on a poor quality Chinese knock of camera (still had tapes, wasn't even digital) so they can send it back to their relatives.

such is the life of a squatter.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean op,

When I squat people stop and stare, never has such weight been squatted to such depth in a commercial gym.

People who hate the gym turn up to admire me, people who aren't even members have to pay for a day pass to witness such magnificence. I've had crowds of illegal migrants travel across Europe in a dustbin just to tape one of my max effort sessions on a poor quality Chinese knock of camera (still had tapes, wasn't even digital) so they can send it back to their relatives.

such is the life of a squatter.

hahahahaha :D
    that must be a Norwich thing! happens to me all the time, but I'm sure it's for the wrong reasons...
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate ending up in front of a male in my body pump class for that reason. Really not so thrilled to be squatting and sticking my *kitten* out when some guy is behind me.

Of course that's more my problem than anyone else... I just have to deal with it. But no, you're not alone.
  • chrisrc131
    chrisrc131 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just started incorporating weights into my workout and lo and behold I'm the only lady there...

And what does that mean? That you're the most badass woman in the gym. They mirin.

(disclaimer: I'm not actually saying that squats are the only way to be a badass. Just the best way;)
  • vicksg1973
    Options
    I described my first experience with free weights as "doing all kinds of math (for the plates), spending less than a minute doing something that looks like you're pooping, then sitting around waiting to do it again-then more math.

No. You're not the only one.

Ha ha - I love that ^

I'm just lucky I do my 'looking like I'm pooping' in my own garage!