Am I the only one who feels awkward squating?

Options

Replies

• _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    spending less than a minute doing something that looks like you're pooping

This is why I feel weird. It totally looks like I'm about to drop a deuce :blushing:

:laugh: Just go out there and be a BA!
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I am too concentrated in trying not to fall on my bum to care about how I look while squatting :/
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. Nobody sees me.

Except that weirdo who keeps looking in my window.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTQixwTr1dkYBsJOzhn-eDqSp27EBg0b1KIe1b9EPp3m5HJlkVQw

I'm not that weird!

ETA: I know I get looked at as I am doing my squats. I can see it in the mirror people. Who cares. Let them watch.
  • Hammie023
    Hammie023 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is just me, but if I use a large med ball to squat down on, I feel less "silly" looking while doing them. :-)
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I know squats are super important. But as soon as I catch someone looking at me while I squat, back on the treadmill I go! I get weirdly self-conscious about it. Please tell me I'm not the only one hahaha

Nope, but I don't give up, and I ignore the others. I figure I'm going to look like a doofus, for a while, so I might as well pay my dues, now. You should do the same. :wink:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about your form.

But yeah, it's uncomfortable the first few times. People look at each other in the weight room- it's socially acceptable behavior since you have downtime between sets. They probably are pinging more on you because you're an unfamiliar female, but they're also looking at the other guys benching, and the guys curling, whatever. Just ignore it and finish your workout. Force yourself to get through it, because 1) they'll look less once you're a regular and 2) you'll get used to the weight room eyeballing.

This too. I just started incorporating weights into my workout and lo and behold I'm the only lady there...

Edited for grammar

I like being the only girl in the weights section. It's only a problem when a really experienced LADY lifter comes into the weights section that I feel self-conscious...but I still do my sets, anyway.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I know squats are super important. But as soon as I catch someone looking at me while I squat, back on the treadmill I go! I get weirdly self-conscious about it. Please tell me I'm not the only one hahaha

Ha.. I know the feeling. Although since I have made eye contact by accident with some people while doing some BB hit thrusts the awkward moments of squatting seem like nothing LOL!
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I like it when people stop their workout to watch me squat.

But then my gym is mostly people who do machines. When I started getting back into the heavier weights I felt a bit proud when I started putting 2-3 big plates per side on.
  • catneon
    catneon Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    before the TOILET WAS INVENTED people had to dig a hole and squat to poopie.

Seeee? now if you're ever without a toilet you'll be prepared.....

and who cares about people just squat dammit!
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Hopefully any weirdness one feels while doing squats is offset by how awesome they are for your overall fitness (as well as the shape of your butt!)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

hmm....
    Squat, enjoy, repeat.....

Let them look.....

You are there for you, not them.....
    Maybe you just look good, and they are admiring God's handy work.....
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I squat in the comfort of my own home. And my inner dialogue is something like "Ok, let's have a seat...nope! just kidding! stand back up..." :happy:
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I will totally admit I'm a people watcher in the gym. Its mostly to get ideas on new things to incorporate into my workout. Take the staring as a compliment and drop it like a squat :wink:
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I will totally admit I'm a people watcher in the gym. Its mostly to get ideas on new things to incorporate into my workout. Take the staring as a compliment and drop it like a squat :wink:

Ha! Now I will have that song in my head all day.
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    As for me, I'm more self conscious when I'm doing a hip thrust (glute bridge) with a 35 lb plate on my abdomen than a squat.. :blushing: :blushing:
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Well first, if your head is in a neutral position, it's really hard to see anyone staring at you.

Second, get a workout partner if you can. Having a workout partner takes away distraction from other people, because you are constantly engaged with them.

Third, I look at everyone in the gym. Usually evaluating form on compound lifts and bicep curls. Most people have bad form - deadlift and bicep curls are the worst at my gym.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Yes I HATE it. :( There were two teenage-looking guys staring at me the last time I did them (which was months ago). I was facing the mirror but I could see them behind me in the mirror and it made me so mad. I wish I had the balls to turn around and tell them to stop looking. I don't know how to get over this.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yes I HATE it. :( There were two teenage-looking guys staring at me the last time I did them (which was months ago). I was facing the mirror but I could see them behind me in the mirror and it made me so mad. I wish I had the balls to turn around and tell them to stop looking. I don't know how to get over this.

You have to identify why it bothers you.

Is it your self-confidence?
    Is it your ego?
    Is it an agenda against men/assumed perverted thoughts?
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    I described my first experience with free weights as "doing all kinds of math (for the plates), spending less than a minute doing something that looks like you're pooping, then sitting around waiting to do it again-then more math.

No. You're not the only one.

THIS is exactly how I felt last night on my first weight night....:embarassed:
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

You have to identify why it bothers you.

Is it your self-confidence?
    Is it your ego?
    Is it an agenda against men/assumed perverted thoughts?

Why does it have to be one of the above? It can be very uncomfortable doing workouts and looking and seeing guys with their eyes glued to parts of your body. If I looked like a fitness model, with the humility of mother theresa and thought all men could do no wrong, I would STILL feel awkward about being stared at in the gym.