Am I the only one who feels awkward squating?

Options

Replies

• ChazzyEvilKitty2014
    Options
    I feel awkward in the house doing it alone, even if the dogs there looking at me. Its like she knows.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I never realized so many people had such phobias about working out and who was watching them until I came to this website. That concept is unfathomable to me.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I never realized so many people had such phobias about working out and who was watching them until I came to this website. That concept is unfathomable to me.

And, your point in sharing that fact was...?
  • WontShareChocolate
    Options
    The only time I've ever felt awkward was my first personal training session and he yelled "sit back into! Squeeze! I want to see you use those glutes! SQUEEZE!" It was a great session totally felt the pain for a week afterwards in my boom boom ;).
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    The only time I've ever felt awkward was my first personal training session and he yelled "sit back into! Squeeze! I want to see you use those glutes! SQUEEZE!" It was a great session totally felt the pain for a week afterwards in my boom boom ;).

hahaha! Do you remember to SQUEEZE every time, now?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    No, but I never wore spandex tights to the gym either. I don't mind being watched while I work out, but that's probably because I'm not new to lifting and I dress like I'm going to gym class. Also, I imagine that others who are looking are generally just interested in what I'm doing. I occasionally look at people in the gym, but it's because I'm curious or I want to learn something from watching them. And lets be honest, if you've got enough energy to stare at the people around you between sets, you're probably not working hard enough.

I should also mention that I go to an athlete's gym, so there aren't really any mirrors. It makes it much easier not to be distracted by the other people.

If it's a real problem, just wear sweat pants to the gym (although, for most women I somehow don't see that happening :ohwell: ).

having mirrors or no mirrors doesn't really indicate the quality of a gym or not- I'm not sure how you can eve bring that up other than it's harder to people watch with no mirrors.
    And lets be honest, if you've got enough energy to stare at the people around you between sets, you're probably not working hard enough.

and this- this doesn't even make sense. looking around the gym doesn't take hardly any energy. Unless you are doing HIIT and all you are doing is working and not breathing- and then laying on the ground- there is plenty of energy to look at people- if people watching was that exhausting- no one at the gym would ACTUALLY lift- they would already be too tried from people watching.

Rests for heavy sets can be upwards of 10 minutes long. What the hell else are you supposed to do- play candy crush?
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

Rests for heavy sets can be upwards of 10 minutes long. What the hell else are you supposed to do- play candy crush?

Duh. No. Angry Birds.

I have enough energy between sets at home to do laundry.
  • Soufre
    Soufre Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Ladies: When you wear tight yoga pants, and panty lines reveal a thong, the men are wondering if you're getting a thrill doing your squats. We are compelled to watch the action.

ga.gif.pagespeed.ce.ZWneJ_tFxT.gif

^^Yaaasssss

But eww, seriously dude, that's not helpful.

As for everyone else, you're right. WHO CARES who's watching? Who cares that it totally looks like I'm pooping? hahaha At the end of the day, they'll forget about it and I'll have a nice butt! :drinker:
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I know squats are super important. But as soon as I catch someone looking at me while I squat, back on the treadmill I go! I get weirdly self-conscious about it. Please tell me I'm not the only one hahaha

never let anyone in the gym make you feel uncomfortable. just squat and ignore the world :)
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    btw its almost like flies on crap when a girl hits the squat rack. its annoying but the guys usually watch :/
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Maybe the treadmillers are self conscious and think you are checking them out.

The key to lifting in focusing in on what your going about to do through the entirety. The setup is just as important as the act.

Try not to fart...
  • Soufre
    Options
    Try not to fart...
    ^^^
    This is the best advice I have ever heard. Ever.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

The key to lifting in focusing in on what your going about to do through the entirety. The setup is just as important as the act.

Try not to fart...

.. loudly. And if you do, give the guy next to you a dirty look.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Try not to fart...

Bahahaha! :laugh:
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    btw its almost like flies on crap when a girl hits the squat rack. its annoying but the guys usually watch :/

Don't think for a second the females aren't checking out guys at times. I've had women come up from behind and get handzy when I am resting next to the rack thinking it was okay. That is even more annoying to me that the stares...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Don't think for a second the females aren't checking out guys at times. I've had women come up from behind and get handzy when I am resting next to the rack thinking it was okay. That is even more annoying to me that the stares...

I totally check out the dudes squatting. Then judge them if they aren't hitting parallel.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. Especially since I do Shaun T's videos, he teaches you to do a pelvic thrust when you come up. I am doing a squat challenge aside from that where I do 60-100 a day and well, anyway, I look like I am humping the air when I do it. I try to find a spot in the gym where no one can see me doing it. Oh, and I definitely avoid farting.
  • Chieflrg
    Options

I totally check out the dudes squatting. Then judge them if they aren't hitting parallel.

:laugh: Just give us old guys a chance to warm up our knees first before yah judge, okay? Ohh and I will give yah a dirty look if I fart and point...
  • Soufre
    Options
    Maybe I'll just fart up a storm while I squat and clear out the gym. Then NO ONE will watch me. (:<
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'll just fart up a storm while I squat and clear out the gym. Then NO ONE will watch me. (:<

Judging by your profile pic, I seriously doubt that's going to work....maybe eat a lot of beans or something, but I don't think they'll care.