your worse or humiliating experience when fat?

Options

Replies

• Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I remember that, when I was a little girl, my mother used to carry me to several shops at Saturday to look for clothes. We would spend hours and hours visiting every single shop in my town, trying to remember if there was any we had forgotten about. She used to take me to girls/women shops, so it was very hard for me to find clothes that could actually fit. Most of them weren't made to fit a chubby, pre-puberal girl. There is no way I could fit into skinny jeans so I had to go for gym clothes most of the time, or horrible sporty clothes that I didn't like. Now that I'm older I understand it wasn't my fault, I wasn't even obese, and even obese people can find clothes that fit, but it was rather difficult to make my shape fit into such clothes. I still do avoid certain brands since I've realized that their clothes don't fit me or are suited for smaller girls, no problem in that. But back then I used to feel like I was so huge and horrible. She would take to visit all of these shops for hours until I was dead tired and we would most likely be back home with no clothes at all or something that still had to be adjusted.

Apart from that, I've obviously been called names especially during middle school, but it didn't bother me much since I've never really been bullied or stuff like that. I've been quite lucky on this side.

I still remember when one of my friends in high school sat on my legs and grabbed my tummy saying "what about a good diet?" and smiling. I guess it was meant to be a funny joke since she was a friend of mine, but it was still unpleasant.
  • PicoBoulevard
    PicoBoulevard Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest (240 lbs.) I was in a parking lot and a security guard screamed "FAT!" at me, then bent over and displayed his buttocks. I had wanted to report him but figured no one would believe me.
  • ddrhellbunny
    ddrhellbunny Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Back around 2008 or 09 I worked as a bartender at this little underground bar that had band shows and I remember one particular night where some teen girls ( 18 plus bar btw) were fighting over one of the band members, some petty thing or another when it suddenly turned out into an all out brawl. Well of course the band guys though it hilarious but these girls were doing some massive damage to each other. I literally had to leap over the bar ( because the bar was so long it would of taken me forever to get around the proper way) to stop these girls. As I leap over the bar I heard my pants rip, from my *kitten* cheek down to my leg. ><; talk about embarrassing.

worst part was after I stopped the fight, the guys AND girls who I stopped all starting laughing at me and my ripped pants. ( can anyone say that sponge bob episode? lol) Needless to say, I was mortified. I closed up the bar right quick and went home in shame.

Funny part to it was I still didn't think I needed to lose weight at that point, or it didn't sink in... I'm pretty sure I had a binge night too that night after my embarrassing escapade. *sighs*
  • Temmie04
    Temmie04 Posts: 10
    Options
    About a year ago I was walking down the street with my younger sister and this old man stopped in front of us and looked at me and said 'You're so fat' but not like in a I'm making fun of you kind of way but like he was surprised and he was informing me of the fact (at least this is how I remember it). Worse was that my sister was there. If I was alone I could pretend it didn't happen.
  • NatalieSkywalker
    NatalieSkywalker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I was buying an ice cream cone at the snack shop at work and the lady at the counter said "Oh Natalie, ice cream, you're fat already!" It felt even worse because a friend was with me.
  • NatalieSkywalker
    NatalieSkywalker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Oh and saving up for a dress I loved when I was 14, only for my mom to tell me i looked like a sausage because it was so tight.
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Not being asked to be a bridesmaid at my big sisters wedding - Mum told me that I was too fat. the standard dress that the other bridesmaids were wearing did not come in my size and I would spoil the photos ;-(
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Bah! I have an overweight friend. She's cute, short and heavy. *Sigh* I'm in training right now for kick boxing competitions. I've starting lifting and getting in really good shape. I don't hide behind baggy clothes to keep my friends from being self conscious any more. Unfortunately, by not hiding the never freaking ending subject of weight loss comes up around me. It's not so bad around friends that are just a bit overweight but it probably upsets my heavier friend. So, I mention that I'm in training and change the subject. About freaking 5 times! Then it comes back up on Facebook! AAAAAAAA! I wish this subject would just go away but I do not know how to get it to go! I hope it doesn't hurt my friend. I know she struggles and I can't seem to change the damn subject!
  • kadsmaller
    kadsmaller Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Standing in a 45 minute line for a ride at Hershey Park; even letting other people go in front of us because wanted the first car (better photo taking moment by the ride's camera, only to have the seat belt not fully close on me and the ride DELAYED while they found a seat belt extender. I offered to get off but noooooo, they insisted on finding the extender, but I was a spectacle while others looked on realizing my girth was the cause of the delay.
  • kadsmaller
    kadsmaller Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I posted my experience and it is the same as yours, and at Hershey Park (smile).
  • Swaggs51
    Swaggs51 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    i think the worst from all the years of torment from others and my own family was my x fiance calling me "fatty" as her pet nickname. i think that was the worst, someone i was supposed to be comfortable with she would call me fat. worst part was, i was 25 pounds lighter then
  • erelyl
    erelyl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My little boy asked "Mommy, are you fat? My daddy said you have a fat butt" I left the room and cried.. then gave his daddy (my ex) a phone call and a big telling off, reminding him that it was his overpriced lawyer who put a clause in our agreement about not saying anything negative in front of the child.

Now, i am fat, and i do have a fat butt, but the second i divorced that jerk it became none of his damn business :) It will also be none of his business when the weight is gone and he is still a jerk.
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    This was about 20 years ago. I am 5'5" and I was dating a guy who is 5'2". At the time, I weighed around 275 and he weighed maybe 110 soaking wet. We were at a mall and he kept walking ahead or me or lagging behind. I asked him what the problem was and he told me, "I don't want to walk with you. We look like a circus couple." I was hurt but said nothing. I was at a point where I was pretty sure no one would ever want me. Not long after that, he told me I should try to date other people because he felt he could do better than me and didn't want me to hang around for nothing.

I was pretty hurt by what he said and I actually believed him. I had been picked on for my weight for years, so of course he was right, right?. I did end up dating other people and life went on, but the ego damage was done and lasts to this day. I'm married with a family of my own now, but more often than not, I still don't feel like I'm good enough, smart enough, or pretty enough.

This one made me so sad:( especially the part about still not feeling good enough. You ARE good/smart/pretty enough! {{{hugs}}}
  • AteTinaB1321
    Options
    I was at a restaurant eating and one of the straps on my dress snapped :frown: In a way it was good that I was fat because my dress didn't fall down, but it was humiliating. My family laughed at me and still won't let me live it down. It's been 3 years. :grumble:
  • seanhassall
    seanhassall Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So sorry this happened to you! :(
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    One of the ones that sticks out the most:

My older brother owned a low-riding Camaro at the time. I needed him to drop me off somewhere on his way to town. He refused to give me a ride because "I'm too fat and would make his car drag", and he drove off without me. When I came back into the house, my mom refused to believe he could have said that to me "without me provoking him". Okay mom. Yes, my fat provoked him.
  • Samthefrog
    Samthefrog Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, some truly horrible things that have been said to people. But I am a firm believer in Karma. All these words will come back..

Having been fat from the age of 1, I have more stories than I can count. But here are the top 5:

5. My two friends inviting me over for a movie night but having an "intervention" instead about being fat. Now I wasn't upset for their concern because I appreciate that they cared for me, but it's the other comments they made:"You'll never find a partner," "You'll always be alone." THAT was uncalled for. Our friendships have never been the same.

4. These two eighth graders used to call me "whale" and "chunky chicken." These were two random guys who hung out by my locker for no reason when I was in the seventh grade. This was during Desert Storm in the 90's and my dad had been deployed. He had given me one of his camo duffle bags to use and I was happy to use it because I felt like he was still with me even though he was far away. Those guys saw it and then started to call me "Commando Cow.". Jerks.

3. Asian aunties are the worst. I have been told too many times " You have such a pretty face... If only you weren't so fat..." At the temple (of all places), at parties, weddings. It takes Evey fiber of my being not to tell them now as they are in their 60s and 70s, "Oh Aunty. You have such a pretty face... If only your botched Botox and plastic surgery didn't make you look permanently surprised..."

2. My dad (and mom, but to a lesser degree) constantly telling me I am fat and judging what I eat. Thirty five years of this. Even after losing 53 lbs and counting, he still says "you're getting bigger and bigger." Now I know he's not being sincere, but just mean and somewhat delusional because it simply isn't true (unless my scale is broken and all the pants that are too big are also lying).

1. This one has a better ending so I saved it for last. These girls in elementary school used to torment me for being fat. Unfortunately, the ringleader of the group made it to the magnet Jr/sr high school with me much to my disappointment and continued to attempt to make my life miserable with the name calling and the mooing. Thank god she got kicked out for bad grades. I was rid of her and was relieved. I dormed at the university and had finally been able to overcome the years or teasing, low self-esteem and just being a follower and was flourishing in college. Suddenly one day, guess who I see skateboarding through campus? That girl! Later I found out she lived in my same dorm, too. One day, I was sitting with my tableful of new friends, having a great time when she comes up to me and says loudly, "Hey Sam? Remember me? I'm the girl who used to call you fat cow and used to put cricket legs in your hair. Remember when I used to bully you?" Everyone stopped to look. Fortunately, I was a lot stronger emotionally by now so I said in an equally loud voice. "Honestly, I don't really remember all those things you did or said to me very much because now I have all these awesome friends and I'm really happy with new life and I don't really think about you anymore, so..." And I turned around and started talking to my friends and she was dumbfounded and just walked away! I was triumphant. Eventually, she dropped out of the university and I never saw her again.

ETA: autocorrect errors! D'oh!
  • messiahs
    messiahs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    1; I was on a computer in the library and some little punk wanted it - instead of confronting me, he just said "Oink oink oink... little piggy..." I was so stunned and embarrassed, I almost started crying. I just froze completely still and didn't move.

2; Other times were when in school we had to open up the webcam program and take pictures of ourselves to manipulate. I couldn't keep the program up, I was horrified to see how gross I looked, doing something as simple as just sitting. Made my confidence drop even further. I long for the day I'm confident, lol.

3; In school as well, my friends called me a sperm whale. It started when we found a book about whales and I said "Sperm whale...?" out loud. Sounds funny, and it clearly was to them, but after a day or two of this nickname I was just embarrassed and depressed, even if they didn't mean it that way.

4; Falling flat on my face after punching one of the two boys who always playfully picked on me in grade 2. I can't remember what happened but I hit him, he ran, I ran, it was winter and I wiped out.

I've never been thin my whole life, and I'm sick of feeling so terrible about myself and having these things happen.

EDIT: I read through more comments and wow, I had/have had it easy so far. My mom calls me beautiful all the time, my dad wants me to lose weight but isn't an *kitten* about it. My family members don't call me names. I can't believe some people's FAMILY are so mean.
  • istu2944
    istu2944 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I was exiting a plane and the stewardesses were all lined up saying the good byes to us passengers at the end of the flight. Well one of them say's to me "we almost made you buy an extra ticket", the other three all laughed. In utter shock I hung my head and walked off the plane. This is the first time I am telling this story, still in shock, but it is one of my motivations.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    When my twin sister was about to have her second baby I took over her job as a cashier it was pretty awful all the people who came in and ask me when my baby was due. I couldn't really blame them though because she was pregnant and they thought I was her since we are identical twins. They felt really bad when I would tell them I wasn't her.