your worse or humiliating experience when fat?

Options

Replies

• Courage1895
    Options
    Wow I don't know where to start... Growing up I would never feel comfortable and it has only gotten worse. Once a guy was comparing me to my sister and said I was voluptuous. I wanted to cry but instead I smiled and was like "yeah lucky her". Then this Xmas a guest said if God had combined my face and my sisters body and added some height we could make a pretty model like person. I know she was trying to be nice but she said it in front of my whole family and I just smiled but felt so broken on the inside. Also it doesn't help that my mom is a double zero and my sister is a size 2 and my sis eats so much unhealthy food but stays so small. But seriously there have been so many things. Like just last week I was doing laundry and my sis said my size 6 pants looked gigantic next to her size 2 and sadly she's right. Even looking at pics from my childhood till now I can see how uncomfortably I felt, but I'm beyond ready to change this and feel confident in myself and stop analyzing what people think of me.

Feel free to add me and we can keep each other motivated :)
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    there a few but the worst would be the name calling. then this one day me and my little brother were walking to my sister place three punks decided to follow us through things. we would try to chase them off which only made it more fun for them.i ended up going to a pay phone and pretended that i phoned the copes and they took off. but growing up i was a stick i got teased way more. life was hell but that wasn't my wake up call. that came from my niece asking if i go out side with out a shirt on i sayed yes some times she replyed you must scare other peoples eyes. it hurt like hell but i took action to get healthy
  • sunshineonfridays
    Options
    My worst comment "You're pregnant are you having a girl or a boy"?
  • xscat
    xscat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Probably doesn't count...

But in high school I was on the chubbier side (probably not overweight, certainly not obese). Class trip. It was my TOM and I was struggling with my super heavy backpack during this 5km hike (under the summer sun). I felt like I was about to pass out... A girlfriend of mine saw it and asked the boys in my class to help me out. And one of the the boys said "how can she not be able to handle it. She's got enough fat" then a bunch of them laughed...

I was seriously wishing I could just disappear.... 10 years later I'm sorta skinny now and it still hurts...
  • jadey_lady
    jadey_lady Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Trying to get on a rollercoaster and being unable to fasten the belt and put the restraint down all the way, so I had to walk off the platform in front of hundreds of people who saw what happened.
  • xscat
    xscat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Wow I don't know where to start... Growing up I would never feel comfortable and it has only gotten worse. Once a guy was comparing me to my sister and said I was voluptuous. I wanted to cry but instead I smiled and was like "yeah lucky her". Then this Xmas a guest said if God had combined my face and my sisters body and added some height we could make a pretty model like person. I know she was trying to be nice but she said it in front of my whole family and I just smiled but felt so broken on the inside. Also it doesn't help that my mom is a double zero and my sister is a size 2 and my sis eats so much unhealthy food but stays so small. But seriously there have been so many things. Like just last week I was doing laundry and my sis said my size 6 pants looked gigantic next to her size 2 and sadly she's right. Even looking at pics from my childhood till now I can see how uncomfortably I felt, but I'm beyond ready to change this and feel confident in myself and stop analyzing what people think of me.

Feel free to add me and we can keep each other motivated :)

I feel like we are on the same boat here... Neither of us was actually "fat" but we got humiliated/felt inadequate just because we didn't have skinny bodies like "everyone else" did....
  • Luxleo
    Luxleo Posts: 21
    Options
    I was dress shopping for my junior prom two years ago. AFTER I got the dress on the counter an paid for it, the lady was like, "Maybe if you exercise, you could fit into a better dress." I was pissed! She's lucky I bought the dress before she said that or I would have left.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    My dad used to call me "thunder thighs" when I was 10-16 or so, it was humiliating and I've always been self conscious about my thighs ever since.

No matter what weight I was at thru my life, I couldn't bare to have anyone look at my thighs... now that I've been teetering on the edge of obesity, I don't even want to see any of my family until I can lose all the weight and more because I truly feel even as an adult I will be ridiculed. :/
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tgrey4
    tgrey4 Posts: 56
    Options
    A few years ago, I was driving with the windows down and stopped at a stoplight when I heard something coming from the car next to me. There were two guys in their 20s in the car next to mine and they were looking at me saying "moo!!" When I instinctively looked over, they said "How's it going cow?" and mooed at me until the light changed. I was so devastated that it crushed my self esteem and made things worse for me for a while. People can be so cruel. That experience just sticks with me. So simple, but so traumatic.

Had a similar experience, except they called me a horse.
    I'm sorry I do not have any experiences to recall, but I LOVE your profile photo, Xdinmammax.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    In reading other people's response I find that I have some experiences that would fit... if I'd taken them badly, but for all my depression my responses were to be amused or annoyed.

The young son of a client asked me when I was having my baby. His mother was horrified but I simply replied to him that I wasn't having a baby, I was just fat. He went on to explain that his aunt was having a baby. I thought it was cute.

On moving back, I was greeted by a friend who hugged me and said "It's so good to see you again, but why is there so much of you?" I responded by asking him when he'd lost his ability to edit his thoughts before speaking them.

After shattering my arm and burning my foot coming off my scooter on the way to work, I was lying on a gurney waiting for them to decide what to do with me as they wanted to keep me over night. The orthopedic surgeon came in, looked at me, picked up my chart, started reading it, and asked if I was bedbound. I was unamused, explained how I'd gotten my injuries and then ignored him. Thankfully I did not require the surgery.

Probably the only time I actually felt humiliated, turned into a positive for me. I was climbing a very large hill on a walking trail in the south of England, the walk having started with me mentally kicking and screaming that there was no way I could do it, and it was turning into a self fulfilling prophecy. I was literally taking three steps and stopping, red faced, sweating, breathing hard, my husband patiently with me, caught between stubbornness to continue, and what seemed the reality of having to give up, being passed by seniors, teens and small children, not to mention the fit. Yeah, that was humiliating. But not one person said anything negative. Most ignored me. A couple people surprised me by telling me things like 'you can do it' or 'keep it up, it's worth it' and one young woman who passed me by muttering under her breath 'if she can do it, I can do it.' The humiliation fled and I eventually made it to the top.
  • goalie234
    goalie234 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Well there have been too many to write down here lol ..but here are the top ones ..
    1. At a farewell party a friend told me that they all referred to me as a giant ( my name rhymes with it ) . Well after all those years i felt it was a horrible thing to say on my last day at college .
    2. A doctor i had been to for my still " unexplained infertility " said That i had to " stop eating " . But the fact is , i really eat very less and he did not even know the reality of my situation ..
  • qstneverything
    qstneverything Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This is so shallow I've been contemplating whether to post it or not, but here we go...

When I was sixteen I lost all my childhood weight, and I looked GREAT! My body was a perfect healthy weight, and I definitely glowed. I'm shy, and especially was then because I was used to being treated poorly by most people because of the way I looked, but I started having boys crawling all over me because I did look good.

I never used anyone or anything, but I started getting used to people being nice to me again.

Fast forward a couple of years later, I gained all of my weight back due to bad periods in my life. I was at a nightclub with a friend, and a guy comes up to me and asks me to talk to his friend because his friend was thinking of leaving so they wanted me to convince him to stay. These guys were strangers, by the way.

I was a bit confused, it was a weird request, but I decided to help out. The guy they wanted me to talk to was surrounded by his friends asking him to stay. He looked a bit drunk.

"Hey, how are you?" I asked him, smiling slightly.

"EWWWW! DISGUSTING! No. Just get away from me, fat *****." He replied, scrunching his face up into a disgusted face and shook his head vigorously.

I didn't even reply, I went into shock. In hindsight I should have defended myself, abused him or did something, but I was so shocked and hurt I just sent a small smile to his group and slowly walked away, not before the one that asked me to talk to him apologised for his friend being a jerk.

It's silly, you can be gorgeous and thin and not be everyone's type, but it was the first time someone had been that rude about the way I looked since I was fifteen. It bought back all of my insecurities from when I was younger.

On the plus side no one has spoken to me like that since, it was a one off because this guy was pathetic and probably had a small ****. But it was so humiliating at the time.
  • heydanno
    Options
    I was eating a big mac at mcdonalds when a girl came up and stopped, turned towards me and starting making piggy squealing sounds for about 30 seconds staring right at me
  • mrsroseblack
    mrsroseblack Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a lot, but a horrible one is when all your pictures (that friends upload) on fbk are all over your newsfeed and you're the fattest one in all of them. Untagging doesn't help.

Exactly. That's what inspired me this time around.
  • hellomanen
    hellomanen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    oooh this I have a few:
    3. school dance, couldn't be lifted by my partner to do the stupid badly choreographed dance... even the boys started lining up to "try and lift" me, see who was the "macho alpha" who could lift "such massive girl"
    2. last days of highschool the guys were throwing everyone on the pool and they needed like six or more of them to lift me up and throw me there since I wasn't getting close to it
    1. this one omg: a family member... oh so dear that mother****** exclaimed PLENTY of times in the multiple family walks that I should skip the muffings unless I want to keep my muffng top, that I should consider a healthier lifestyle instead of being all day sitting around scratching my a** and a lot of things more that only got to a dirty look of other family member and a few snickers here and there...
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    One more thing, a "look" can be worse than words. At some point, I quit keeping track of my weight. I think I hit somewhere near 250 lbs on my 5'5" frame, before I came out of my funk. The "look" was common, when my husband and I would go out to eat. He does not have a weight issue. I felt the "look" of disapproval no matter what food choices I made. Who knows the "look" I am talking about?

Oh I know that look. Here's what's going through their heads.

"Look at that fat guy eating a hamburger! Happy heart attack, fat boy!"

"Look at that fat guy eating a salad! Not working for you, is it, fat boy?"

thing is i'm average sized now for the uk but still feel like i'm getting the look if we eat out, so makes me very paranoid :sad:

my worst one was after i had my youngest daughter, i kept getting asked who's baby it was, when i told them it was mine people thought i was joking, and kept blurting out things like "but you didn't look pregnant" no would that be because i was nearly 300lbs
    at that point id already started my diet anyway so just made me more determined
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    when i was younger somebody at the mall asked me if i was pregnant. in front of my bf and his friends. i think i cried. it was just made worse because it was right in front of him.. i finished break and went upstairs. i think i ate to feel better. same with when i was smoking [i used to smoke in addition] and somebody said 'you shouldn't smoke if you have a baby'.
  • mstrhck
    mstrhck Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can't say I have had any humiliating experiences whilst fat or otherwise. I got fat by my own doing and I own it. There is nothing anyone can say to me that trumps my own will. I got fat because I am lazy and I really love junk food. How could I feel humiliation by doing exactly what I wanted to do?

Being a complete snot buffers me from the opinions of average people.

The closest thing I have experienced was in junior high school. I was only slightly overweight but had developed a larger than average chest, and no person in my life gave me good advice about bras. I was running I think a 75-yard dash in PE, and during this race my pants fell down and my boobs popped out of my bra at the same time.

I finished that damn race as fast as I could. I felt a little embarassed after, but whatever. I guess the good thing about it is that nobody made a bad comment. I think it's important to remember that most people are decent human beings and it's only the inferior few that spew nastiness from their nasty little lives. >:]
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Some guys in college described me like this.. apparently to my then friend, now fiance.. "the fat fair girl who has a huge fat roll in her tummy". Some girls used to take sneaky pics of my tummy fat, which was more apparent when I was sitting in class or lab and then giggle about it and show it to others..