your worse or humiliating experience when fat?

Options

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    When I started this weight loss period, a friend and I were talking and I was explaining to her my plans and goals and I told her that I intended to get down to 175, her reply was yeah and when you get there you might want to continue going! This hurt so much and till this day still hurts. I told was telling her that I wanted to be healthier, active and realistic, this was also the goal that my doctor suggested.

I guess she sort of won because my goal is now 150.
  • Als2985
    Als2985 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well, I had a son eight months ago, and yesterday I was subbing at a school district close to me.
    I am a SAHM (stay at home mom) most days, but I taught third grade. Now, these kids did seem to
    enjoy me as their teacher, although they did laugh a lot/whisper across the room all day.

At the end of the day, a girl asked me with her friend: So, are you pregnant? I told her "No, I just had a baby."
    Then, she said "Oh, it looks like your pregnant!" Her and her friends then laughed. Now, I know they are
    just kids, but the fact that they insisted I was pregnant/and then laughed was SO humiliating!

I'm really focusing on eating healthy/sticking to my diet/losing this extra 20 lbs. with exercise!
  • sreed016
    sreed016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    When I was at a sleepover at my friends house around age 11ish and my friend (before we knew what a frenemy was) said in front of everyone that I was only allowed to have one piece of pizza because I was too fat.

We stopped being friends when we went to different middle schools but I heard that nobody liked her there and some boys took out her hair ribbons and urinated on them in the boys bathroom.

Now that made me smile :)
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I had someone ARGUE with me when I said I wasn't pregnant. Actually kept saying "Really?" and "Are you sure?".

Yep. I'm sure.
  • thegingerpirate
    thegingerpirate Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My stories aren't nearly as bad as most of yours, but I've got some that still really bother me.

At the doctor, I weighed about 155 at 5'7", so I wasn't even that big, and I was there because I was having daily pain in my joints to the point that I had trouble standing for more than a few minutes at a time and he said to me "I'm not saying you're fat, but if you lost some weight your joints wouldn't hurt so bad." I was mortified. Another doctor diagnosed me with fibromyalgia a few months later, but my weight began to go up after that doctor visit.

Another one was my grandmother telling me that "You're a little thick through the thighs, but you're still pretty." Thanks...

What finally spurred me to start honestly trying to lose weight was seeing myself in pictures and thinking "I am NOT that big" and having to accept that I really was that big.
  • Mrsum3
    Mrsum3 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I went kayaking at one of the local lakes. I was unable to get out of the kayak and climb back on to the dock. There was a crowd just standing there looking at me while two other guys were helping me out.
  • WontShareChocolate
    Options
    I was in 8th grade and this kid stood up and started pointing at people saying ridiculous things "your beautiful." "Your awesome." Yeah well when he got to me he said "your fat...but you have big boobs." Then later that week we all went swimming in the school pool and a bunch of guys were cheering and applauding when the skinny girls walked out...I got NO applause that moment is burned into my memory I remember thinking "I want to be the girl who gets applauded for being beautiful...not the one that walks out crying."
  • becca1841
    Options
    I've always been quite big so I don't even think I'd be able to list all of the humiliating things people have said and done to me over the years.

When I was about 15 I went to the hospital as I had an infection in an open wound and they had to weigh me and the doctor was so mean about it, he actually said he couldn't believe I weighed that much and put me through the humiliation of being weighed again on another set of scales and then told me that I would die if I didn't lose weight and made out like it was an easy thing to do - like I hadn't tried before. It hurt me so much yet I walked out of that hospital and went to McDonalds.

My dad has a baby with another woman and he has always been a horrible person and I could tell he was embarrassed to be seen with me in public because of my weight and I remember one time my sister was about 4 and I was around 15 and she told me that my dad had told her not to call me fat and when I asked why she would call me that she said that her mummy and my daddy had been saying it in front of her. I can't say I'm that surprised but it really, really hurt me. I don't speak to my dad anymore.

I've been called all the 'fat' associations you can think of but I think the worst humiliation is the way I feel about myself. I have absolutely no self worth and have been in physically and emotionally abusive relationships as I felt that I was luck to have somebody love me enough to even be with me so I let them treat me however they liked. My self worth is still non existant but I have made the active decision to try to lose weight and will not be entering into a relationship until I am happy with my body.
  • jasper186
    jasper186 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Once while out walking at 5am (because that is the only time of day I can) some AHOLE yelled "move that chubby *kitten*". If I could have found a rock I swear I would have beaned him with it. The funny part was he was dirty, ugly and drove a truck that looked like it was going to fall apart any minute. Quite a catch he was for some lucky gal. For some reason that comment stuck with me for a very long time and it still kinda bothers me. I hate when I let idiots like that get in my head:angry:
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I was in JC Penney clothes shopping. This teenage girl walks up to me and asks me when I'm due. When I tell her I'm not pregnant I'm just fat she looks at me like I'm lying.

:'-(
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I've always been quite big so I don't even think I'd be able to list all of the humiliating things people have said and done to me over the years.

When I was about 15 I went to the hospital as I had an infection in an open wound and they had to weigh me and the doctor was so mean about it, he actually said he couldn't believe I weighed that much and put me through the humiliation of being weighed again on another set of scales and then told me that I would die if I didn't lose weight and made out like it was an easy thing to do - like I hadn't tried before. It hurt me so much yet I walked out of that hospital and went to McDonalds.

My dad has a baby with another woman and he has always been a horrible person and I could tell he was embarrassed to be seen with me in public because of my weight and I remember one time my sister was about 4 and I was around 15 and she told me that my dad had told her not to call me fat and when I asked why she would call me that she said that her mummy and my daddy had been saying it in front of her. I can't say I'm that surprised but it really, really hurt me. I don't speak to my dad anymore.

I've been called all the 'fat' associations you can think of but I think the worst humiliation is the way I feel about myself. I have absolutely no self worth and have been in physically and emotionally abusive relationships as I felt that I was luck to have somebody love me enough to even be with me so I let them treat me however they liked. My self worth is still non existant but I have made the active decision to try to lose weight and will not be entering into a relationship until I am happy with my body.

I get a lot of crap from my dad's family for being fat. The worst offender was my grandmother, boy I could do nothing right by her. Things do get better and even though I still have self worth/esteem problems, I know that my weight does not define me. AND at least I am not a self absorbed, drug-addicted, alcoholic, narcisist that gets my jollies form making other people feel like **** :) If I have to deal with that side of the family, I am quite and polite, but that is it :p

And you deserve way better in relationships. I have dealt with my fair share of physical and verbal abuse. No one deserves that, but you will find someone that loves you for exactly who you are, I promise ;D You just have to be patient :)

It gets better, it really does sweetheart :) I am sorry that that has happened to you.
  • becca1841
    Options
    Thank you so much Emilyc85. I'm sorry about the things people have said and done to you too. You seem like a wonderful person & you didn't deserve it.

Take care & God bless.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Worse experience, picking up a bunch of really nice clothes at a decent price, getting really excited.

Not one item fit me right... My arms looked too big or my stomach was clear, or back fat!

Was even worse when I noticed all this in the clothes I already have! Slowly getting there, no more detesting myself in the mirror!
  • maddiejaymes
    maddiejaymes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Several. I'm still fat mind you!

-My grandpa passed away in December, and my cousin made a video from pictures. I am in all of the pictures looking like a huge bloated ball of blubber. I am finally to the point where I am just fat, and not looking so fat that I have no shape but lumpy. I am starting to have a body again.
    -When I worked at Burger King a year and a half ago and had to go out the door by the drive-through to pan (stop the clock so corporate would think we were serving people faster) and a group of teenage boys honked and yelled "eat another cheeseburger fat *****" at me and then I had to serve them while they smirked at me.
    - shoving myself into booths/ desks at school and listening to the creaks and praying they didn't break. I fit better now.
    - My name rhymes with fattie and my cousin was singing the rhyming song and said fattie waddie maddie and stopped and got all awkward because it was true.
    - being called po (as in the teletubby) by a kid who made my life hell in high school
  • Biodemon
    Biodemon Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've had quite a few myself.

As a kid, I was bullied by people for my weight. But once I hit middle school, I turned that around and became invisible (I was in a sort of goth phase and still am to this day).

Last year, my boyfriend and I were going out to eat and I was feeling beautiful and awesome in this nice black dress (I have never worn dresses. Always been a tomboy). My mother looked at me and said, "You look pregnant." That stung and made me feel so ugly. I just wanted to take it off and get back into baggy clothing. Even my boyfriend couldn't make me feel better. My mother has told me many insulting things about my weight (but I had showed her when I fit into clothing that is much smaller than what she wears (she's fat too and we would wear nearly the same clothing size). She's tried to fit into the clothes I try on and she's too fat for them. :P

And recently a co-worker made fun of my weight as well (and that I buy thrift-store clothing while he rubs into my face that he buys 70 dollar sweaters and ****). Got to my head, I started treating him like crap and he tried to act like the victim (but I had told my manager why and she was on my side. :] )
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I got asked if I was pregnant. I was not.
  • ChampagneHrglss
    ChampagneHrglss Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    God, there have been so many, but there's two that really stick out in my mind.

When I was in 8th grade, my home-ec class was watching this made for TV movie about eating disorders. You know the one - girl moves to a new town, befriends the most popular girl who happens to suffer from anorexia/bulimia, and new girl learns the habits from popular girl and almost dies? At the end, the doctor looks right in the camera and says dramatically "She was....DYING TO BE THIN."
    Well, after class was over and the lights came up, a popular boy handed me a sheet of paper, and told me he had taken notes for me. He told me that I was really nice, but he couldn't be friends with me outside of class because I wasn't skinny and popular - but if I followed the instructions in his notes, I would be. Yes. He gave me a handwritten "how to" on how to have an eating disorder (which I have now, I'm a fat anorexic...so that's awesome)

The second story is more recent. My wedding was in September of 2012, and during that summer my sister was dragging me to bridal shops looking for a dress. I would have worn just a simple cocktail dress but mom was paying for it and so I thought sure, let's go shopping. My sister and I were looking at a dress in the straight size section, thinking if we found a style we liked I could have my measurements taken and we could have it ordered. The sales lady approached us (after ignoring us for 15 minutes) and asked my sister when the wedding date was. My sister told the woman the wedding date, and she said "oh, a September wedding, how lovely. Are you excited?" I cleared my throat and said, "Actually, I'M the bride." The sales woman did the Pretty Woman face where she looked at me with utter disdain. Then she sighed and said "Oh, honey, none of THESE dresses are going to fit you. You'll find the plus sizes at the back of the store. Good luck." And she walked away.
    And we walked out.
  • Jumjutikawex
    Options
    A few years ago, I was driving with the windows down and stopped at a stoplight when I heard something coming from the car next to me. There were two guys in their 20s in the car next to mine and they were looking at me saying "moo!!" When I instinctively looked over, they said "How's it going cow?" and mooed at me until the light changed. I was so devastated that it crushed my self esteem and made things worse for me for a while. People can be so cruel. That experience just sticks with me. So simple, but so traumatic.

Had a similar experience, except they called me a horse.

In middle school everyone moo'ed at me. For my birthday they gave me beanie baby cows. And in my year book they all wrote "moo" if they signed it. Still have it. I bet after college some of them are here, trying to lose weight.. I know who you are, haters. In high school I got in shape and they gained. Go figure.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    When my ex came at my door and said "Wow, are you going to register yourself for the biggest loser?" I closed the door again.
    I would have said, "Aw, hell no - it took me a long time to get rid of you, loser - why would I come back now?"
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    When I was at a sleepover at my friends house around age 11ish and my friend (before we knew what a frenemy was) said in front of everyone that I was only allowed to have one piece of pizza because I was too fat.

Oh man, I was "friends" with a whole gaggle of skinny girls in catholic grade school and I was always the largest one (likely because I started puberty VERY early). I remember stuff like this happening a lot at sleepovers, the most memorable one being that this girl's mom made pizza rolls for dinner and my "friend" and her brother put like four on their plate and I had 7 and they both said things like "Wow no wonder you're so big... do you eat like that at home too?" Ugh. Who eats four pizza rolls, anyway?

I've had lots of little embarrassing moments. One time I was pumping gas very early in the morning before school and a car full of 20-something guys pulled into the gas station just to roll their windows down and bark at me. I didn't turn around to acknowledge it so one of them yelled "Hey, b*tch! You're a DOG! Woof woof!" and they sped off. I kind of just acted like it didn't happen but I was so angry and humiliated that someone would even bother to do that.

One thing that really bothers me in general is how differently people treat you when you're thin vs. overweight. I was very thin for the first two years of high school (eating disorder + depression) and then put on a lot of weight (depression + working part time fast food job) and the change in attitude towards me was immediate and overwhelmingly obvious. Even now having lost some weight and getting my "womanly" curvature back, people are MUCH nicer to me than they were 26 lbs ago. I'm grateful for the positive attention but the contrast is just staggering.