Throwing away a child's lunch?

Options
WeepingAngel81
WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/elementary-school-takes-away-students--lunches-due-outstanding-balances-on-accounts-174726995.html

There are so many things that break my heart about this article! I would also be interested in hearing more of the back story. How many of these parents have signed up for free or reduced lunches and were denied (not even sure if that ever happens??) I understand it costs money to feed children at school and that it is the parents responsibility to make sure that bill is covered, but to take lunches already served from a child and throwing it away is extreme.

I really don't know what the right answer would be to this, but there has to be a better way of getting the parents attention.

Thoughts?

How would you react if this was your child?

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Punishing the child because the parents is NO answer. That is a fact.

They could have:

A) Reached out to the family to see if they qualify for a school lunch program if money was an issue.
    B) Made the parents come to the school to hash things out
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    This is the reason I don't like the whole "credit card" system schools have adopted. There have been plenty of times that I forgot to put more funds into my kids' accounts and they got the alternative lunch instead. They are never denied and shouldn't be punished for parental oversight. However, if you don't have the money to buy lunch, pack one.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I thought it was atrocious.

But, in fairness, the school has issued and apology and an explanation (as flimsy as it may be). It is still inexcusable to take food from a child and humiliate them by wasting the food and issuing them a piece of fruit and milk.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/elementary-school-takes-away-students--lunches-due-outstanding-balances-on-accounts-174726995.html
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

There are so many things that break my heart about this article! I would also be interested in hearing more of the back story. How many of these parents have signed up for free or reduced lunches and were denied (not even sure if that ever happens??) I understand it costs money to feed children at school and that it is the parents responsibility to make sure that bill is covered, but to take lunches already served from a child and throwing it away is extreme.

I really don't know what the right answer would be to this, but there has to be a better way of getting the parents attention.

Thoughts?

How would you react if this was your child?

So, the state can take your kids away from you if they don't think you are raising them properly, but they don't have to feed them?

Sounds legit. :ohwell:
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options
    This is the reason I don't like the whole "credit card" system schools have adopted. There have been plenty of times that I forgot to put more funds into my kids' accounts and they got the alternative lunch instead. They are never denied and shouldn't be punished for parental oversight. However, if you don't have the money to buy lunch, pack one.

I agree with the packing lunch.

2 years ago my daughter would take her lunch to school and give it to her friends if they didn't like what they had or if they didn't have lunch of their own. Then she would go through and pay with credit. Suddenly I get a call saying I owe $50 :noway:

I understand things happen, and because of that credit system my daughter will not be purchasing lunch at school. I requested that they don't give her a pin number. That seemed to help.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I can't understand why the lunch people would have taken perfectly good lunches from those kids and thrown them away! The kids should not be punished for a parent's oversight or mistake and it makes me SO mad to know those poor kids couldn't eat that day! Imagine how awful that made them feel plus they were likely hungry that whole day!

I agree with Mia, the alternative lunch should be provided and the parent should be contacted. Starving the kids is not going to help them concentrate any better on their studies!!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This is despicable. They "started" making calls on Monday and come Tuesday they THREW AWAY the food already given to the child. This "Child Nutrition Manager" should immediately be collecting unemployment.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    They're not "throwing away a chil'd lunch" they are denying him/her a free lunch. I'm sorry there are parents out there that are irresponsible, but if they can't afford a lunch, pack a lunch. Apply for food assistance.

If it is truly an oversight, no child is going to starve to death missing one lunch and, if it is a recurring problem, then it falls to the parents to get their act together.

I'm sorry some people can't afford to support their children and I,m sorry the children have to suffer, but I'm not all that crazy about supporting their poor choices.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

I agree with the packing lunch.

2 years ago my daughter would take her lunch to school and give it to her friends if they didn't like what they had or if they didn't have lunch of their own. Then she would go through and pay with credit. Suddenly I get a call saying I owe $50 :noway:

I understand things happen, and because of that credit system my daughter will not be purchasing lunch at school. I requested that they don't give her a pin number. That seemed to help.

Oh yeah, I got a bill too. My son (who was in K at the time) would tell his teacher that he was buying when I sent him to school with a fully packed lunch. They're essentially teaching them how to go into debt and have someone else worry about the consequences.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I recognize that sooner or later, you can't give the child lunch if the parent isn't paying, and doesn't qualify or hasn't applied for free lunch programs. It's a sad economic truth. But giving the child the food and then taking it away is simply mind blowing. At that age, that is going to be a permanent emotional scar, not to mention the bullying it will invariably lead to from other children.

I don't know what their standard policy is, and maybe this would normally be done, but the parents should have been informed that there was insufficient funds on the lunch account, that the child was provided a minimal lunch today, and that in future would not be able to purchase lunch until funds were present.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    They're not "throwing away a chil'd lunch" they are denying him/her a free lunch. I'm sorry there are parents out there that are irresponsible, but if they can't afford a lunch, pack a lunch. Apply for food assistance.

If it is truly an oversight, no child is going to starve to death missing one lunch and, if it is a recurring problem, then it falls to the parents to get their act together.

I'm sorry some people can't afford to support their children and I,m sorry the children have to suffer, but I'm not all that crazy about supporting their poor choices.

I'm not sure you read the article. The children were provided lunch, and then after it was discovered that the accounts had insufficient balance, the food was taken away from the children and trashed.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    This makes me want to cry. Those poor humiliated children. If ANYONE EVER did this to my step daughter I would knock their heads together. Outrageous!
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options

If they were trying to collect the money then it wouldn't be free.

You do make a valid point though about that it is up to the parents. There is no denying that. You are also correct that the kids won't starve by one missed meal....but then again, you don't know what they aren't getting at home. I know in my area sometimes school lunch is the only decent meal some kids do get. Again, not your problem (or mine) but back to my point....a missed meal can cause a child to lose focus therefore hindering learning. This could also make it difficult on the teacher.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    On the one hand I can understand the schools point where these kids cannot get a lunch and they do allow the alternative of fruit and milk...

On the otherhand, that child got a tray of food, and then the teacher took it away and THREW IT IN THE TRASH? If it is going to go to waste in the trash then why not allow the child to keep it and then call the parents in for a meeting or make a phone call. THis should have occured as soon as the balance hit zero.

That's what I see anyway. That was just a poor and cruel way to handle the situation.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Anyone who would take food out of a child's hand and throw it away should not be working in a school. I don't care who gave the order to do so.
  • emmietoby
    emmietoby Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    sometimes they are really nuts and can do more harm then good. i can remember when dylan was in first grade his teacher wouldn't let him eat his lunch because he was acting up. i mean nothing at all he had to sit at his desk while the other kids ate. he had his lunch for i always packed him a lunch because he wouldn't eat the school food. when i picked him up after school he was complaining that he was really hungry because the teacher wouldn't let him eat. when i heard that i went up to his teacher and really told her off . i mean is that right? told her if she does it again i would take action. all she kept saying is " i'm sorry " told her that didn'r cut it. boy was i ever mad.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I really wish I could home school my son so he wouldn't ever have to deal with crap like this.
    Not that he would because I would make sure his lunch was paid for, but in general public schools are horrible.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options

Not a popular opinion, but the one i a agree with most.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I thought it was atrocious.

But, in fairness, the school has issued and apology and an explanation (as flimsy as it may be). It is still inexcusable to take food from a child and humiliate them by wasting the food and issuing them a piece of fruit and milk.

I hate apologies like this. They're the type that never would have been given if this hadn't made news. It sounds like "I'm sorry because I got caught".
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    sometimes they are really nuts and can do more harm then good. i can remember when dylan was in first grade his teacher wouldn't let him eat his lunch because he was acting up. i mean nothing at all he had to sit at his desk while the other kids ate. he had his lunch for i always packed him a lunch because he wouldn't eat the school food. when i picked him up after school he was complaining that he was really hungry because the teacher wouldn't let him eat. when i heard that i went up to his teacher and really told her off . i mean is that right? told her if she does it again i would take action. all she kept saying is " i'm sorry " told her that didn'r cut it. boy was i ever mad.

I wouldve filed a formal complaint with the superintendent's office right then and there. Poor kid